UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gladiator

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by gladiator » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 pm

CE2JD wrote:POWER BUMP

I'm not sure if I asked this previously (I think I did but no one responded) but is there any hope for UVA's football team this season? Any potentially team-saving recruits other than those listed on ESPN?
Sewell is back at QB so there's at least a chance he'll be good. I think it's like every recent UVA football season where it's hard to predict but the odds are heavily in favor of 4-9 wins.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:19 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiti ... Id%3d57560

This OT recruit had some sicknasty pancake blocks in high school (see video). At 6' 7'' 347 lbs. (WTF???) he's a pro prospect as long as he can marginally improve his fundamentals at UVA.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:35 pm

UVA always has good O-line stars (Ferguson, Monroe), it's the passing game that has struggled in recent years.

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 pm

gladiator wrote:
CE2JD wrote:POWER BUMP

I'm not sure if I asked this previously (I think I did but no one responded) but is there any hope for UVA's football team this season? Any potentially team-saving recruits other than those listed on ESPN?
Sewell is back at QB so there's at least a chance he'll be good. I think it's like every recent UVA football season where it's hard to predict but the odds are heavily in favor of 4-9 wins.
with cedric gone its all about mikell simpson. he's got to be the man

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Do we have to get football tickets, or are they free for students?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Cavalier wrote:Do we have to get football tickets, or are they free for students?
Free. You just show up to the gate with your student ID (which you should get sometime during orientation/before school starts).

It was quite a change after going to UF for undergrad.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:00 am

SteelersandGators wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Do we have to get football tickets, or are they free for students?
Free. You just show up to the gate with your student ID (which you should get sometime during orientation/before school starts).

Sweet.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:16 am

Awesome! I had to pay like $120 for season tickets as a student at UW... and we didn't even win any games. UVA will be a nice change.

What about basketball tickets? Although I'm not sure if I can ever support a team coached by Tony Bennett.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:18 am

SteelersandGators wrote:

Very nice. Having to stand in line forever and pay was getting old. My first two years we not only had to pay for tickets but join the campus "athletic association" to get season tickets for an additional fee.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 am

Cavalier wrote:Awesome! I had to pay like $120 for season tickets as a student at UW... and we didn't even win any games. UVA will be a nice change.

What about basketball tickets? Although I'm not sure if I can ever support a team coached by Tony Bennett.
They're free as well. You have to enter a lottery to get tickets, although I've gotten tickets to every game I signed up for (Tech, UNC, UMD, BC, FSU). Most of the time you can just print a ticket off right before the game as long as it's not a big game.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 am

Wahoo1L wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Awesome! I had to pay like $120 for season tickets as a student at UW... and we didn't even win any games. UVA will be a nice change.

They're free as well. You have to enter a lottery to get tickets, although I've gotten tickets to every game I signed up for (Tech, UNC, UMD, BC, FSU). Most of the time you can just print a ticket off right before the game as long as it's not a big game.
An online lottery, which is very nice for lazy people.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

My UG was pretty bad so we never had to pay for tickets - same "show your ID at the door policy." Good to know UVA won't be any different.

btw, I was hoping someone can enlighten me - where did the term wahoowa or wahoo come from and what does it stand for? I saw a bunch of people holding those signs at the CWS and had no idea what it was.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:01 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:07 am

showNprove wrote:
jdn012 wrote:btw, I was hoping someone can enlighten me - where did the term wahoowa or wahoo come from and what does it stand for? I saw a bunch of people holding those signs at the CWS and had no idea what it was.
Official University of Virginia sports documents explain that Washington and Lee baseball fans first called University of Virginia players "a bunch of rowdy Wahoos," and used the "Wahoowa" yell as a form of derision during the in-state baseball rivalry in the 1890s, presumably after hearing them yell or sing "wah-hoo-wah." The term "Wahoos" caught on around the University and was commonly in use by the 1940s. "'Hoos" became the more accepted nickname throughout Grounds in student publications. In recent years, the Hoos nickname has become a nickname used by students and recent alumni of the University, and it is also commonly used in the media in reference to U.Va. sports teams.

The yell was invented as an Indian yell for Dartmouth College by Dartmouth student Daniel Rollins in 1878. Corks & Curls, the University of Virginia annual, regularly printed lists of the yells and colors of the various colleges; in 1888 it included Dartmouth's school yell, a part of which was the phrase "wah-hoo-wah." University of Virginia students soon incorporated the phrase "wah-hoo-wah" into their own, longer school yell, and individual U.Va. fraternities also adopted it and modified it.
Also, the school colors were inspired by Oxford.
Thanks!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:57 am

One more week of work and then I will be FREE!! Wahoo! Working for my boyfriend's mom was a terrible idea - I do not recommend it to anyone. Granted, I've saved enough money to buy a new couch and a grill so I can have delicious cookouts at my place --- but I'm still not sure it was worth enduring his mom for six months.

asdfsd222

New

Post by asdfsd222 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

Anyone know what UVA's tuition refund policy is? Depending on how OCI goes for the 2011 class and how my grades are I may drop out after 1L, but can't seem to find specific information on this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:One more week of work and then I will be FREE!! Wahoo! Working for my boyfriend's mom was a terrible idea - I do not recommend it to anyone. Granted, I've saved enough money to buy a new couch and a grill so I can have delicious cookouts at my place --- but I'm still not sure it was worth enduring his mom for six months.
Does Jefferson Ridge let you have grills? I always assumed you cannot have them at apartments. Anyone know about the Woodlands? I haven't seen any here other than the ones at the pool.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:23 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:One more week of work and then I will be FREE!! Wahoo! Working for my boyfriend's mom was a terrible idea - I do not recommend it to anyone. Granted, I've saved enough money to buy a new couch and a grill so I can have delicious cookouts at my place --- but I'm still not sure it was worth enduring his mom for six months.
Does Jefferson Ridge let you have grills? I always assumed you cannot have them at apartments. Anyone know about the Woodlands? I haven't seen any here other than the ones at the pool.
JR lets me. I am on the first floor and I can have one on my back patio or stored by my front door but have to pull it away from the building (i think like 5 feet) to grill. I know that VA law is that you cannot take a grill through a house - the leasing agent told me that if I was on the second floor I could have someone hand it up to me onto the deck though :D

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:
JR lets me. I am on the first floor and I can have one on my back patio or stored by my front door but have to pull it away from the building (i think like 5 feet) to grill. I know that VA law is that you cannot take a grill through a house - the leasing agent told me that if I was on the second floor I could have someone hand it up to me onto the deck though :D
Wow, that's good to know. I will have to look into it at the Woodlands, unless someone here knows?

ETA: Looked in the lease, it says we can't have one.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:47 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:
Wow, that's good to know. I will have to look into it at the Woodlands, unless someone here knows?

blah, that sucks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:18 pm

limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Nobody at the Woodlands has one, and they've sent multiple emails threatening fines, etc. if you do.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:21 pm

apparently, Dean Trujillo just started his Twitter page...a reliable way for future applicants to see what's going at the admissions office I suppose.

https://twitter.com/jasonwutrujillo

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm

FYI for anybody who may not have yet bought their law school laptop...

Awhile back I posted about the Dell deals and how I was set on buying the Studio 15. I went to Best Buy to check it out and it was too big and bulky for my liking. So, after a week of sometimes frustrating research, I have finally decided to go with a Mac. Since it was a long process, I thought I'd post my findings and maybe someone will find it useful.

When the new Mac bundle was introduced, someone mentioned that they were disappointed in the lower processor and less RAM. By going to Apple's education site, I was able to get the same computer as the bundle except with 4 GB RAM (instead of 2) for less! The iPod Touch and printer deal are also available directly from Apple. You can actually upgrade the printer and fork out a few extra bucks if you want. The deal is $100 toward any printer from Apple when you buy a new computer (the printer deal expires July 20).

Sticking with a $100 printer, out the door, I can get basically the same deal as the school bundle, including 3 year Applecare. Before rebates, it's a little over $1600, but after rebates, it's $1282... so I'm saving money by going directly through Apple. There are a few things that the bundle offers that I'm not getting, but I felt it was worth the $217 less to forego these options:

Microsoft Office Mac 2008: I can get for $10 from the school. http://itc.virginia.edu/licenses/studentuse.html

Norton Anti-Virus 11: the Apple rep ADAMANTLY told me I would not need anti-virus on a Mac. If the school requires anti-virus or if I decide I do need it later, I can download it for free from UVA. http://www.itc.virginia.edu/central/dis ... OS&osID=10

14' Ethernet Cable, 10' USB Cable, Belkin 8-Outlet Surge Protector with 12' Power Cord, Notebook Security Cable, Starter Pack of Printer Paper: Shouldn't need the ethernet cable (does anybody know why we would need this cable?), already have a surge protector and power cord. I can get a USB cable for about $7 on Amazon (and you'll need this for the free printer that doesn't come with a USB cable). I am missing out on the security cable... could buy this for $20-$30 if I decide I want it, and a pack of printer paper is $5 or less.

Loaner laptop and UVA troubleshooting: I have an older laptop that will serve as a backup if my Mac goes down during finals. Also, someone (Gladiator?) earlier mentioned that the UVA computer support are a lot more accomodating than they sound for non-UVA bundled computers. They shouldn't have any problem with the knowhow since this computer is exactly the same as the bundle... except faster.

As I mentioned, there are a few things that I will miss out on from the bundle, but it was not worth the extra $ for me, and I wanted the 2 extra gig of memory.

EDIT: Ok, so it's not quite as good as I made it sound. I was citing the numbers from memory. It's $1611 before rebates and $1282 after rebates for the SAME computer as the bundle. It's $90 more if you want the 2 gig of memory ($1701 before rebates and $1372 after). Still, I'm going to get a faster computer for less than the bundle rather than pay more for extras I don't need.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:12 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:Anyone know what UVA's tuition refund policy is? Depending on how OCI goes for the 2011 class and how my grades are I may drop out after 1L, but can't seem to find specific information on this.
Such the optimist...when you do your loan counselling (assuming you are taking out any money from a lender) it explains the repayment of funds already disbursed. As far as a tuition reimbursement - why on earth would UVA refund your tuition for a year of school you attended? They wouldn't charge you for subsequent years but I don't see why they refund you for education received...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”