UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mijahe

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by mijahe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks. When did you get the bill?

EDIT: Oops. I got it today a bit after noon. My outside gmail account had not fetched my mails from UVa at that point.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

kgustao

New

Post by kgustao » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I guess I'm just really nervous. What happens if we utterly fail? What fate awaits the UVA grad at the bottom of his class with no extracurricular activities? I want a worst case

You can control whether or not you are involved in extracurriculars. However, extracurriculars other than the Virginia Law Review will be of little to no importance WRT whether or not you get a job.

If you are at the bottom of the class after 1L, even if you have "extracurriculars," you should probably drop out unless you're an URM or have strong ties to some kind of unpopular secondary market. Seriously. The legal profession probably isn't for you, and you should therefore find some other productive way of spending the rest of your life.
Last edited by kgustao on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 pm

kgustao wrote:You can control whether or not you are involved in extracurriculars. However, extracurriculars other than the Virginia Law Review will be of little to no importance WRT whether or not you get a job.

If you are at the bottom of the class after 1L, even if you have extracurriculars, you should probably drop out unless you're an URM or have strong ties to some kind of unpopular secondary market. Seriously. The legal profession probably isn't for you, and you should therefore find some other productive way of spending the rest of your life.
So I read through the dozen or so posts before yours, and found nothing you could possibly connect this to. This post really confirms the sole reason for your TLS existence is to troll our thread.

kgustao

New

Post by kgustao » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

*Trying to figure out what you are talking about*

*Does not compute*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

This post really confirms the sole reason for your pathetic existence is to troll our TLS thread.
Fixed.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I got my UVA bill by email, and my financial aid is credited appropriately.

Out of curiousity, what are all of the fees for? I think it's funny that the comprehensive fee isn't comprehensive (since there's two other fees).
By "credited appropriately," do you mean it's listed under "Pending Financial Aid" on the "Summary" page?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Well I just made my tuition payment.

That's the first of 6 installments of about 10k-11k of my hard-earned money. :(

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:57 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I got my UVA bill by email, and my financial aid is credited appropriately.

Out of curiousity, what are all of the fees for? I think it's funny that the comprehensive fee isn't comprehensive (since there's two other fees).
By "credited appropriately," do you mean it's listed under "Pending Financial Aid" on the "Summary" page?
No, I don't think so (but I'm not sure which Summary page this is). The loans themselves haven't cleared (according to my lender) and my loan counseling still isn't showing up as complete.

On your online bill in QuickPay, if you look at your statement, it'll list the tuition charges and fees and then a credit for your deposit and "anticipated credit(s)" for your anticipated financial aid. I don't think the fin aid office has actually begun processing loans yet.
I'm kinda wary that I haven't heard much of anything about loans and such. I might be a little paranoid, but I'd hate to find out the day before tuition is due that I really don't have the loans yet.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:06 pm

napolnic wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:

No, I don't think so (but I'm not sure which Summary page this is). The loans themselves haven't cleared (according to my lender) and my loan counseling still isn't showing up as complete.

On your online bill in QuickPay, if you look at your statement, it'll list the tuition charges and fees and then a credit for your deposit and "anticipated credit(s)" for your anticipated financial aid. I don't think the fin aid office has actually begun processing loans yet.
I'm kinda wary that I haven't heard much of anything about loans and such. I might be a little paranoid, but I'd hate to find out the day before tuition is due that I really don't have the loans yet.

Same here. I wish they would process this stuff. Has anyone talked to UVA about it lately?

abm256

New

Post by abm256 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Oh man, I just posted a topic to the main forum instead of to the UVA Class of 2012 forum... At least no one can see me blushing.

What I was trying to post is that I just replaced my sofa and loveseat and was planning to put them up on Craigslist tonight, but I'll give my fellow future 1Ls first crack. $100 for both pieces. I have photos on my home computer if anyone is interested--I could send them when I get home from work. They're largeish (in the grand scheme of couches) and they are a maroon/hunter green/navy blue pattern. We also have fairly substantial dresser I was going to put up for $40. One of the handles is broken. (I live downtown and don't have a truck or anything, so buyer has to move the stuff.)

PM if you're interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheJenkyJenky

New

Post by TheJenkyJenky » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:21 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
kgustao wrote:You can control whether or not you are involved in extracurriculars. However, extracurriculars other than the Virginia Law Review will be of little to no importance WRT whether or not you get a job.

If you are at the bottom of the class after 1L, even if you have extracurriculars, you should probably drop out unless you're an URM or have strong ties to some kind of unpopular secondary market. Seriously. The legal profession probably isn't for you, and you should therefore find some other productive way of spending the rest of your life.
So I read through the dozen or so posts before yours, and found nothing you could possibly connect this to. This post really confirms the sole reason for your TLS existence is to troll our thread.
So the guy/gal may just be trying to stir up trouble, but my concerns still seem pretty valid to me. At a top law school, like UVA, everyone in the class must have done well in undergrad and on the LSAT to get in. So everyone is smart and likely placed at the top of their high school and UG classes. Clearly, not everyone can continue to be at the top. Thus begins the cutthroat competition and the angst. I don't want the angst and the drama. I want to enjoy life and learn and not spend the next three years completely stressed and miserable.

My question is: is that an option with massive debt and a tough job market bearing down on us? I chose UVA in large part because it is supposed to be a little less ridiculous than some other places. Is that an accurate assessment? What's people's take on this issue?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

kgustao

New

Post by kgustao » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm

So the guy/gal may just be trying to stir up trouble, but my concerns still seem pretty valid to me. At a top law school, like UVA, everyone in the class must have done well in undergrad and on the LSAT to get in. So everyone is smart and likely placed at the top of their high school and UG classes. Clearly, not everyone can continue to be at the top. Thus begins the cutthroat competition and the angst. I don't want the angst and the drama. I want to enjoy life and learn and not spend the next three years completely stressed and miserable.

My question is: is that an option with massive debt and a tough job market bearing down on us? I chose UVA in large part because it is supposed to be a little less ridiculous than some other places. Is that an accurate assessment? What's people's take on this issue?
Look dude, your class is going to be the first entering law school in the current economic climate. Who knows how this will change student body dynamics. You have to be prepared for some level of competition, depending on what kind of job you are looking to get. Go in with your game face on. If you don't want competition, don't go to law school. Being competitive doesn't mean being stressed and miserable as long as you are reasonably intelligent and do your work. This also doesn't mean you will secure six figure employment upon graduation, but if that's what you're banking on, be prepared to drop out if you're not in the top half of the class (estimation - see how things turn out for 2011 at OCI, because yours is going to probably look a lot like theirs).

Seriously, unless you went to a true TTT undergrad and pwned all of your classmates without doing any work, you should be used to competing with reasonably intelligent peers on some level.

Also keep in mind that there will be more than a few people who genuinely don't give a shit about grades (because they're going to go work for daddy after graduation, etc.), URMs, in state or special circumstances admits, etc. who will fill out some of the bottom of the class.
Last edited by kgustao on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:06 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:

I found it, and I see "Anticipated Aid" but nothing about anticipated credits.

Are your due dates on August 9?

Also, if someone wants to verify this for me:

1. Sign into SIS, which should load to the "Student Center" page.
2. In the "Finances" section in the middle of the page, under "My Accounts," click on "Account Inquiry" (it should be right above the "QuikPay@UVA" link).
3. It should load to "Summary" page, and at the bottom, click the link for "Financial Aid."
4. Click the link "2010."
5. In the "Terms" section towards the bottom of the page, under "Fall 2009," click on "View Scheduled Disbursement Dates."

Are the dates listed as 08/09/2009 for you, too?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Yes.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:13 pm

showNprove wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
showNprove wrote:

I found it, and I see "Anticipated Aid" but nothing about anticipated credits.

Are your due dates on August 9?

Also, if someone wants to verify this for me:

1. Sign into SIS, which should load to the "Student Center" page.
2. In the "Finances" section in the middle of the page, under "My Accounts," click on "Account Inquiry" (it should be right above the "QuikPay@UVA" link).
3. It should load to "Summary" page, and at the bottom, click the link for "Financial Aid."
4. Click the link "2010."
5. In the "Terms" section towards the bottom of the page, under "Fall 2009," click on "View Scheduled Disbursement Dates."

Yes, mine says 8/09/2009.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:13 pm

TheJenkyJenky wrote:
Wellsfargowagon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
TheJenkyJenky wrote:What is the consensus for preparation? Are there any must read books or summaries of the courses? I feel very behind, and we've yet to begin.
Haven't heard of anyone living there, but I doubt that makes it a 'horrible choice'. We'll all (probably) be at the law school for 7+ hours a day anyway...

Prep thoughts varies widely... conventional wisdom is that the book Getting to Maybe is worth its weight in gold and is a good skim before LS, anything else (law related) is likely either not useful or only marginally so for the time invested in it. A healthy dose of sleep, beaches, old friends, beer, novels, or whatever pleasures will be skipped during LS is probably a good idea though ;)
Bingo.
Bingo on the resting up and relaxing? How do I squelch the unrelenting trepidation then?

I guess I'm just really nervous. What happens if we utterly fail? What fate awaits the UVA grad at the bottom of his class with no extracurricular activities? I want a worst case scenario.
"Bingo" as in:

- Getting to Maybe is definitely worth a read before law school. Skimming it is fine, but make sure to give it a closer look before exams. Nothing else comes to mind as a recommended read, particularly not E&Es.

- Enjoy the summer. Hang out with friends. Booze it up. Play sports. Read interesting (non-law) books. Watch TV. Take a pottery class (or something). Just do whatever you normally do to relax and have a good time.

As a corollary to the last point, you may want to work on getting your nerves under control. UVA is a fairly laid-back place filled with chill people. But it's still a law school, and the atmosphere occasionally turns tense. Around the times of major LRW deadlines, journal tryouts, and especially exams, many of your classmates will be studying hard, and some may start freaking out. You don't want to let stress get the best of you - a little can be motivating, but too much can be distracting and therefore counterproductive.

Part of doing well in law school (and I suspect law practice) is learning to effectively manage stress. Another part is maintaining your energy throughout each semester so you can fire on all cylinders come exams. For me, top-law-schools.com involves a decent amount of daily studying with lots of breaks taken in between. Downtime involves things I really enjoy, like hanging out with classmates, drinking beer, cooking, playing Rock Band, playing real guitar, and watching my favorite TV shows. Doing these things rests my brain and helps me maintain balance, which in turn makes me more productive during "work time."

Find the routine that facilitates doing your very best in school. And remember that this probably involves having more fun than you might have otherwise thought. Anecdotally, I know plenty of rising 2Ls on Law Review who were also Feb Club regulars.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:18 pm

OK, stupid question. What the heck does a "rising 2L" or "rising 3L" mean? Does it refer to someone who will be a 2L next fall?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kgustao

New

Post by kgustao » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Aren't you a current UVA student? Rising 2L means someone who will be a 2L this fall.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:OK, stupid question. What the heck does a "rising 2L" or "rising 3L" mean? Does it refer to someone who will be a 2L next fall?
Yup - right now, a "rising 2L" will be a 2L starting in the fall of '09.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Cavalier wrote:OK, stupid question. What the heck does a "rising 2L" or "rising 3L" mean? Does it refer to someone who will be a 2L next fall?
Yes, Rising 2L = someone who will be a 2L in the fall. People, including myself, just say "rising" because if you just say 2L it might be unclear whether you mean someone who just was a 2L or is just about to be one.

Regarding loans, as long as you didn't royally fuck it up, the school is going to take care of you. They're not going to come to you and demand immediate $20,000 payment before your loans show up.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:24 pm

OK, thought so. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”