UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
extragnarls

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by extragnarls » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 pm

gladiator wrote:From what I know...

-The internet speed is decent
-They do crack down on P2P
-It sucks that NTC has a monopoly but it's not going to ruin your life
-The advice about potentially having free cable probably doesn't apply to Ivy; I think they generally are on top of that and it applies more to Comcast
As in, Bit Torrent and LimeWire and that sort of thing are unoperational when you're hooked up through NTC? That would be a downer, especially since I recently learned about their craptastic cable package. Anyone know if the network channels are available in digital/HD with the appropriate tuner?

It's clever, and a little bit diabolical, that Ivy Gardens forbids satellite dishes for aesthetic reasons (they lump them in with exterior shelving, etc.) when the real effect is to provide NTC with a monopoly on media services. Love that.

Nicomedes

New

Post by Nicomedes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:47 pm

hey folks. coming in here late - posted a few messages on this thread months ago, then abandoned TLS for a while. But since summertime is running out quickly, and I'm starting to get really geared up for the move down to Charlottesville, thought I'd get back on here and follow along.

One question first - when I set up my UVA email, it set me up through gmail with an email address that is my initials and then 3 random characters, which I imagine is the default. Is there any way to change that to a "firstname.lastname@virginia.edu" format, or just something a little easier for other people to remember?

Also, I remember alot of people on here mentioning that they are gonna be living at the Woodlands. Since I don't really know anyone in Charlottesville at this point, I was thinking about making a "UVA Law Students at the Woodlands" facebook group. Anything like this already exist? Or, if anyone that is going to be living at the woodlands is interested, send me a private message with how to find ya.

Anyway, looking forward to a few weeks from now!!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:52 pm

Nicomedes wrote:hey folks. coming in here late - posted a few messages on this thread months ago, then abandoned TLS for a while. But since summertime is running out quickly, and I'm starting to get really geared up for the move down to Charlottesville, thought I'd get back on here and follow along.

One question first - when I set up my UVA email, it set me up through gmail with an email address that is my initials and then 3 random characters, which I imagine is the default. Is there any way to change that to a "firstname.lastname@virginia.edu" format, or just something a little easier for other people to remember?

Also, I remember alot of people on here mentioning that they are gonna be living at the Woodlands. Since I don't really know anyone in Charlottesville at this point, I was thinking about making a "UVA Law Students at the Woodlands" facebook group. Anything like this already exist? Or, if anyone that is going to be living at the woodlands is interested, send me a private message with how to find ya.

Anyway, looking forward to a few weeks from now!!
Somewhere on here there is a long explanation of the email stuff, if you search "UVA 2012 (whatever you are specifically looking for)" you can probably find it. I don't remember how to do it or I would tell you myslef.

I live at the Woodlands. That seems like a good idea in theory but then everyone would know where you live so it wouldn't be good if you had a stalker or something. I guess we could make it a private group or something?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:05 pm

extragnarls wrote:
gladiator wrote:From what I know...

-The internet speed is decent
-They do crack down on P2P
-It sucks that NTC has a monopoly but it's not going to ruin your life
-The advice about potentially having free cable probably doesn't apply to Ivy; I think they generally are on top of that and it applies more to Comcast
As in, Bit Torrent and LimeWire and that sort of thing are unoperational when you're hooked up through NTC? That would be a downer, especially since I recently learned about their craptastic cable package. Anyone know if the network channels are available in digital/HD with the appropriate tuner?

It's clever, and a little bit diabolical, that Ivy Gardens forbids satellite dishes for aesthetic reasons (they lump them in with exterior shelving, etc.) when the real effect is to provide NTC with a monopoly on media services. Love that.
I'm not sure but I know my friend got an angry letter to stop doing P2P downloading. I've seen satellite dishes at Ivy but it only works if your apartment faces a certain direction which is a small minority of the apartments.

Re: configuration- It might be to set up wireless library printing, not sure.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rdt854

New

Post by rdt854 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rdt854 wrote:
custom_concern wrote:
seachange wrote:I was admitted off the waitlist at a T14 and planned to attend. However, last night I was arrested for DUI and possession of drug paraphenalia. The trial isn't until September (after the start of classes). I am now wondering how likely it is that my offer will be rescinded. Did I ruin my life last night?
Damn dude. Monday night. Pretty rockstar. I hope your T14 is UVA.

And obviously, as those above me said, call an attorney. And let us know how it works out for you.
HAHAHA I <3 my school
I thought of your avatar when I read that comment :D
*high five, shotguns beer*
Cheers to the most badass t14 school in the country

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:27 pm

No posts since this afternoon? I'm ashamed! If we keep up this poor behavior Harvard or Michigan or some other TTT's thread will catch up.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Also, I see there are some new threads on the TLS group, but I can't click them because for some reason Facebook is automatically redirecting me to the homepage whenever I click on a topic in any group. That's odd...

I'm probably going to be one of the last to arrive in Charlottesville, unfortunately. I think I'll be coming the 11th or so, and won't actually get to move in until the 14th.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 pm

Cavalier, the 'tar needs to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 pm

But I was sick of having a motionless avatar :(

Since a cavalier typically refers to a mounted fighter, I thought I'd go for something like that, since I doubt I could find a moving image that had something to do with UVA.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Cavalier wrote:But I was sick of having a motionless avatar :(

Since a cavalier typically refers to a mounted fighter, I thought I'd go for something like that, since I doubt I could find a moving image that had something to do with UVA.
Is it WoW?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Every time it slashes down, I say "hi-YA!" in my mind. Considering how short the play time is, you can imagine how unhealthy this may become.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 pm

--LinkRemoved--

A story about one of our classmates.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/2009/07/byu ... tudent.htm

A story about one of our classmates.
I think I'll avoid him, I despise the BYU football team after the UW-BYU game last fall. Actually I can't really hold it against the team, but I want to commit several torts against the ref.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaw

New

Post by Shaw » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Quick question! (and I obviously am not posting enough because I posted this in the general forum by accident...)

A friend from overseas wants to visit me over our fall break. Does anyone know what to expect with regards to assigned work over break? Will people go away for little trips or is this a prime time to catch up on work/sleep?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:00 am

thesealocust wrote:
showNprove wrote:Cavalier, the 'tar needs to go.
Cavalier's avatar is perfect in every possible way. Take it back!
Well, ideally it wouldn't have the black background.
Shaw wrote:Quick question! (and I obviously am not posting enough because I posted this in the general forum by accident...)

A friend from overseas wants to visit me over our fall break. Does anyone know what to expect with regards to assigned work over break? Will people go away for little trips or is this a prime time to catch up on work/sleep?
I'm curious about this as well. The concept of "fall break" is quite new to me, but I'm definitely a fan of breaks. I imagine that, since grades are almost entirely dependent on exams, there won't be any assignments over break other than the usual reading, which people may or may not do. I was almost tempted to head back to Seattle over the break for a football game, but I realized I will definitely not want to spend two days flying over break.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:16 am

Does anyone know where/when we find out what our books are? I'd like to order stuff ahead of time on Amazon if I can.

Heading to Charlottesville tomorrow to move in. Waking up at 5 for the drive down :?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 am

green wrote:Does anyone know where/when we find out what our books are? I'd like to order stuff ahead of time on Amazon if I can.

Heading to Charlottesville tomorrow to move in. Waking up at 5 for the drive down :?
Sounds like we won't know what books to get until we get our section assignments right before orientation.

Sorry. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:28 am

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 am

The casebook answers are accurate. Sucks but gotta wait til you get your section to start hunting.

Fall Break is Saturday-Wednesday. Last year I went home for break but I don't recall how much work I did. I don't think it's one of those weekends where you need to be prepared to do a ton of work but be aware that you will probably have 1 or midterms (usually just for practice) so you can be outlining for those classes and you might have LRW, I don't recall where in the semester were at that point. Bottom line, if you have something to do, it should be okay but try to make time for work too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”