UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CE2JD

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by CE2JD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:19 pm

showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Perhaps gladiator can clarify, but I've heard from multiple sources that if you type over a certain minimum speed (50-60 WPM??) then you will be fine. I don't think quantity matters as much as cohesion and content does.
:(. I type about 30-35.
I still don't think it will matter.

There are people who can type 150 WPM who likely wouldn't be able to get above a 160 on the LSAT. So if the LSAT is any predictor of law school success, I think you'll be fine if you can type AT ALL and think / read in a fast and organized manner.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Play this game then get all As.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi3xIrnODxo

And also learn to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNG3sgk02Lc

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Perhaps gladiator can clarify, but I've heard from multiple sources that if you type over a certain minimum speed (50-60 WPM??) then you will be fine. I don't think quantity matters as much as cohesion and content does.
I'm not really sure. I've never heard any specific WPM but obviously if you're a really slow typer you might want to improve on that. Quantity isn't quality though so don't get hung up on just aimlessly typing as much as possible. Most of my exams were on the shorter end of the spectrum (not due to slow typing, just being more concise I guess) and it didn't hurt my grades as far as I know.

kishi121

New

Post by kishi121 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi everyone! I have been reviewing this forum for a while but have not yet posted. I am excited to be attending UVA in the fall. UVA was my first choice so I applied early. I am Mexican-American and live in the Southwest. I graduated from undergrad about 4 years. I decided to live in an apartment complex about a 5 minute walk from the Old Downtown area and about a 10 minute drive to campus. My complex is called Nob Hill. It offers 1 bedroom apartments and limits residents to just graduate students (1Ls are eligible) and professionals. The cost is a little more than Ivy Gardens/Jeffersonian, but considering that almost all utilites are included + internet + washer and dryer in the apartment, I thought it added up to roughly what Ivy Gardens would be per month. If anyone is still looking for a place to live that is outside of Ivy Gardens, let me know as I reviewed a number of places in Charlottesville before deciding on Nob Hill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 pm

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 pm

kishi121 wrote:Hi everyone! I have been reviewing this forum for a while but have not yet posted. I am excited to be attending UVA in the fall. UVA was my first choice so I applied early. I am Mexican-American and live in the Southwest. I graduated from undergrad about 4 years. I decided to live in an apartment complex about a 5 minute walk from the Old Downtown area and about a 10 minute drive to campus. My complex is called Nob Hill. It offers 1 bedroom apartments and limits residents to just graduate students (1Ls are eligible) and professionals. The cost is a little more than Ivy Gardens/Jeffersonian, but considering that almost all utilites are included + internet + washer and dryer in the apartment, I thought it added up to roughly what Ivy Gardens would be per month. If anyone is still looking for a place to live that is outside of Ivy Gardens, let me know as I reviewed a number of places in Charlottesville before deciding on Nob Hill.
Congrats! from a fellow Southwesterner.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Southwesterners kick ass. 8)

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:02 pm

CE2JD wrote:Northwesterners kick ass. 8)
Corrected.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:08 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
kishi121 wrote:Hi everyone! I have been reviewing this forum for a while but have not yet posted. I am excited to be attending UVA in the fall. UVA was my first choice so I applied early. I am Mexican-American and live in the Southwest. I graduated from undergrad about 4 years. I decided to live in an apartment complex about a 5 minute walk from the Old Downtown area and about a 10 minute drive to campus. My complex is called Nob Hill. It offers 1 bedroom apartments and limits residents to just graduate students (1Ls are eligible) and professionals. The cost is a little more than Ivy Gardens/Jeffersonian, but considering that almost all utilites are included + internet + washer and dryer in the apartment, I thought it added up to roughly what Ivy Gardens would be per month. If anyone is still looking for a place to live that is outside of Ivy Gardens, let me know as I reviewed a number of places in Charlottesville before deciding on Nob Hill.
Congrats! from a fellow Southwesterner.
Congrats as well!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Cavalier wrote:
CE2JD wrote:The Northwest (and many Northwesterners) kick ass. 8)
Corrected.
+1, though I'm not a PNW native

extragnarls

New

Post by extragnarls » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

kishi121 wrote: If anyone is still looking for a place to live that is outside of Ivy Gardens, let me know as I reviewed a number of places in Charlottesville before deciding on Nob Hill.
I would be interested to hear more thoughts on the housing options around Charlottesville. A couple people have posted some very helpful summaries already in this thread, but it's always useful to get another perspective.

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Quick question (and I'm sorry if this is already somewhere deep in the many pages of this thread):

Is there a difference between Arlington Court Condos and Arlington Court Apartments? Does anybody know anything about Arlington Court Apartments?

Thanks in advance!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:44 pm

gladiator wrote:
Nicomedes wrote:Well, I guess this is my formal introduction to this thread. FINALLY chose UVA over Columbia and Chicago, and really quite excited about it, so I look forward to seeing all of you in the late summer!

Anyway, starting to look for housing now, and when I was down visiting UVA, I did not really care for Ivy Gardens. In my search, I found this place Jefferson Ridge, and while more expensive, the place looks beautiful. Does anyone familiar with the C'ville area, or any current students, know anything about the place? I had a brief phone conversation with the property manager, who said it was about a 10 minute drive, but I was wondering, is it possible to bike from Jefferson Ridge to the law school? I am used to biking just about everywhere, and I really would like a place within biking distance.

Anyway, any thoughts on that complex would be really appreciated!
Isn't Jefferson Ridge the one right next to Woodlands? If so, you might as well live in Woodlands since more law students live there and as far as I know they're almost identical complexes.
The only differences I saw that were important:
Jefferson Ridge has 1 bedrooms, the Woodlands does not.
Jefferson Ridge has bigger closets/bathrooms.
The Woodlands has better amenities (pool, gym) and features (granite, stainless appliances) in my opinion.

I also just liked the vibe at the Woodlands more, I'm excited to move in!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:46 pm

extragnarls wrote:
kishi121 wrote: If anyone is still looking for a place to live that is outside of Ivy Gardens, let me know as I reviewed a number of places in Charlottesville before deciding on Nob Hill.
I would be interested to hear more thoughts on the housing options around Charlottesville. A couple people have posted some very helpful summaries already in this thread, but it's always useful to get another perspective.
It seems there are endless options in Cville as far as complexes go. I posted a LONG time ago, probably in early February, if anyone wants to go back through my old posts. I visited somewhere between 8 and 12 places, some only warranted a quick drive through, others I did the full tour, so I can answer some general aesthetic and location questions about most of the more popular choices.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:57 pm

iamjikem wrote:Quick question (and I'm sorry if this is already somewhere deep in the many pages of this thread):

Is there a difference between Arlington Court Condos and Arlington Court Apartments? Does anybody know anything about Arlington Court Apartments?

Thanks in advance!
There is a difference though I can't tell you exactly what they are. For one thing, I think the apartments are privately owned and the condos (townhouses?) are Neighborhood Properties.

--LinkRemoved-- (Arlington Townhouses)

http://www.brac.com/details.cfm?config=2370 (Arlington Court Apartments)

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:20 pm

gladiator wrote:
iamjikem wrote:Quick question (and I'm sorry if this is already somewhere deep in the many pages of this thread):

Thanks in advance!
There is a difference though I can't tell you exactly what they are. For one thing, I think the apartments are privately owned and the condos (townhouses?) are Neighborhood Properties.

--LinkRemoved-- (Arlington Townhouses)

http://www.brac.com/details.cfm?config=2370 (Arlington Court Apartments)
That's sort of right. I looked at these and here's the deal ( I think ):

There are Arlington Court Condos, which are close to the top of the hill, and these are all individually owned. We spoke to one of the owners and he says really between he and a couple of other people own most of them and they rent them out and price them individually. Not all of them have the same features because different people own and manage them.

I think the Arlington Court Apartments are another thing thing entirely and they are in between Arlington Court Condos and Arlington Townhouses.

Arlington Townhouses are a little further down the hill (beside Gradplex maybe?) and they are owned by Neighborhood Properties and they are all rented out by them and priced by them.

I could be way wrong, because none of it makes any sense really, but from everyone I talked to when I visited that is how I understood it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

duplicitous

New

Post by duplicitous » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 pm

hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here!
i'm not locked into uva at this point, but it's looking pretty likely i'll be joining you all. seems like a great vibe you have going on in this thread :)

i don't have the patience to wade through all 80 some pages of this thread but was wondering how the housing situation is looking. am i going to be left with scraps if i haven't found a place by now?

what are the places that i should avoid?

thanks!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:48 am

duplicitous wrote:hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here!
i'm not locked into uva at this point, but it's looking pretty likely i'll be joining you all. seems like a great vibe you have going on in this thread :)

i don't have the patience to wade through all 80 some pages of this thread but was wondering how the housing situation is looking. am i going to be left with scraps if i haven't found a place by now?

thanks!
Well, everything on Arlington Blvd. is probably gone by now. You'll probably have to start looking at places farther away.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:47 am

For all those who have found housing:

Did you have to put down a deposit and sign a contract already? Did they say what happens if you decide not to live there?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:52 am

lsatbobby wrote:For all those who have found housing:

Did you have to put down a deposit and sign a contract already? Did they say what happens if you decide not to live there?
I have already signed a lease, the place I'm moving does not require a deposit. I would assume if you sign a lease you have to pay it whether you live there or not?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 am

CE2JD wrote:
duplicitous wrote:hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here!

thanks!
Well, everything on Arlington Blvd. is probably gone by now. You'll probably have to start looking at places farther away.
.... but not to worry, there are better places... just not a 3 minute walk to the school

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 am

lsatbobby wrote:For all those who have found housing:

I signed. Deposit due in a few weeks. Don't know what would happen if I change my mind.

ak9786

New

Post by ak9786 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:02 pm

hey guys question.

Do you think its a good to pay one deposit and then wait till june for the second deposit, that way they will not know for sure you are going to come to UVA and might throw some merit aid at you, after they have seen that ppl they offered $$$ to didnt pay their first deposit and now have a pool of money to go after others. Because if you pay 2 deposits they know u are coming anyway and dont feel obligated to do anything for you, just like early decision ppl.

what do you all think about that? have you all heard stories of this?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:39 pm

ak9786 wrote:hey guys question.

Do you think its a good to pay one deposit and then wait till june for the second deposit, that way they will not know for sure you are going to come to UVA and might throw some merit aid at you, after they have seen that ppl they offered $$$ to didnt pay their first deposit and now have a pool of money to go after others. Because if you pay 2 deposits they know u are coming anyway and dont feel obligated to do anything for you, just like early decision ppl.

what do you all think about that? have you all heard stories of this?
That's not going to work. UVA will never know for sure if you are coming there, even if you pay both deposits. That's why they keep a waitlist - if you make other plans in July or August, UVA will find someone who will pay sticker to take your spot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”