UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Woohoo, thank you donors!

Law School Sees Record Number of Donors
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... giving.htm

skyisthelimit

New

Post by skyisthelimit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 pm

for anyone who has already moved into ivy, do they really ask you for proof of renters' insurance when you get your keys?

green

Bronze

Post by green » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:08 am

skyisthelimit wrote:for anyone who has already moved into ivy, do they really ask you for proof of renters' insurance when you get your keys?
Yes, you have to get them proof of renters insurance within 14 days of signing all their contracts.

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:50 am

green wrote:
skyisthelimit wrote:for anyone who has already moved into ivy, do they really ask you for proof of renters' insurance when you get your keys?
Yes, you have to get them proof of renters insurance within 14 days of signing all their contracts.
I never heard of a single person at Ivy providing proof of renter's insurance. What exactly do you think is going to happen if you don't show them something? If they actually cared, they'd make you show it before signing.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:04 pm

rsr28 wrote:
green wrote:
I never heard of a single person at Ivy providing proof of renter's insurance. What exactly do you think is going to happen if you don't show them something? If they actually cared, they'd make you show it before signing.
Eh, I'm just relaying what they told me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:38 pm

green wrote:
rsr28 wrote:
green wrote:
Eh, I'm just relaying what they told me.
It is technically in the lease too. My plan is to talk to some other people who have already been living there for 2 weeks when I get there. If they haven't been hassled, screw it.

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:41 pm

green wrote:
i just moved in and got renter's and liability (which is what they require). it's like 12 dollars a month for both, insures your own stuff and covers you incase you burn down the building or something. not a bad deal. if it's in the lease i would just do it

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:45 pm

jase1348 wrote:
green wrote:
i just moved in and got renter's and liability (which is what they require). it's like 12 dollars a month for both, insures your own stuff and covers you incase you burn down the building or something. not a bad deal. if it's in the lease i would just do it
I didn't realize it was that cheap. I think I would do it anyway at that price. What company did you choose?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
jase1348 wrote:
green wrote:
I didn't realize it was that cheap. I think I would do it anyway at that price. What company did you choose?

My plan is very similar to YC's but the deductible is lower (probably making mine slightly more expensive). ivy can suggest companies for you. i went through a company that i have used before. pm me if you want the specific website to go to.

eastbound

New

Post by eastbound » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm

I called the UVA student health clinic and learned that it is free to all UVA students, whether you have UVA insurance or not. I have Blue Cross Anthem insurance with deductions similar to the UVA insurance plan at a cost of about $75 per month. The first day we are eligable to be seen at the cllinic is August 17. I made an appintment on 8-17 at 8:30 for the immunization review and TB screening. They only require that I submit the required UVA form to their medical records department (address is on the form) in advance of the appointment. Records wants the immunization record (if you have it) and a copy of my private insurance card or proof of enrollment in the UVA insurance. If medical records has my documentation prior to my August 17 appointment with the clinic the Doctor will deal with the TB issue and fill out and sign off on the form. We all have until August 30 to take care of this, and going through the student clinic seems like a simple and cheap way to get it done. If the doctor requires a TB test (unlikely) I would pay $16 for the shot. Although the clinic visits are free to students, other things such as medicine and lab fees will cost money. I think the reason my private insurance costs less than half of the UVA plan is that I was screened carefully and am deemed to be low risk, whereas the UVA plan is required to cover everybody, including high risk students.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:00 pm

green

Bronze

Post by green » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:06 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Thought I'd post this for the Harris Teeter lovers (I'm probably included in this category) out there:
If you've registered your VIC card online (eVIC), you can get $10 off a transaction of $50+ through this Tuesday (stamps, lottery tickets, gift cards, taxes, etc. don't count towards the $50). All you should have to do is swipe your card like you usually do at the register.

If you haven't signed up online yet, I'm not sure if you can get this particular discount (even if you sign up now, you definitely won't get it if you don't sign up online at all), but there should be more like them in the future (and there's always a few eVIC discounts each week).
I love Harris Teeter. So you need to sign up online in addition to signing up in the store to get the discount? I already have a card, just haven't gone online.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:08 pm

EyeBeeM

New

Post by EyeBeeM » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:00 pm

I've never heard of Harris Teeter...what is it and why is it so amazing?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:15 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:I've never heard of Harris Teeter...what is it and why is it so amazing?
It's a horribly overpriced grocery store, though their customer service has been praised by someone around here. He had left a large amount of money on the counter after getting money out of the ATM, and even though it was gone when he got back, customer service gave him the amount that had been stolen. Now that's pretty good and trustworthy of them.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:20 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:22 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:I've never heard of Harris Teeter...what is it and why is it so amazing?
It's a chain grocery store (the largest grocery store chain in NC I believe). The regular prices for regular food is often more expensive than Kroger, but if you wait until things are on sale, they're usually competitively priced (vs. Kroger sale items for example). HT-branded food is usually some of the best out there (both name brand and grocery-label), and they have a large array of good quality in-store prepared foods.

In terms of Charlottesville, the HT at Barracks Shopping Center is really close to the law school, open 24 hours a day, and gives 5% student discounts during the school year.
Ooo, didn't know it was 24 hours. That's nice.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 am

YCrevolution wrote:
It's a chain grocery store (the largest grocery store chain in NC I believe). The regular prices for regular food is often more expensive than Kroger, but if you wait until things are on sale, they're usually competitively priced (vs. Kroger sale items for example). HT-branded food is usually some of the best out there (both name brand and grocery-label), and they have a large array of good quality in-store prepared foods.

In terms of Charlottesville, the HT at Barracks Shopping Center is really close to the law school, open 24 hours a day, and gives 5% student discounts during the school year.
Kroger is also 24 hours and also offers a 5% discount year round...

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:13 am

leaving pittsburgh tomorrow and will be in c-ville around noon on monday.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:21 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:40 am

a.williams wrote:leaving pittsburgh tomorrow and will be in c-ville around noon on monday.
'ave a safe trip!

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:50 am

Anyone know if we can download End Point for a 64 bit system? I don't really know what 32 v 64 bit means, but I downloaded Symantec and it said I needed to download the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit. I looked around the website and haven't been able to find it.

Not urgent-- I have a 60 day trial on Norton Internet Security.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:12 am

vamedic03 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Kroger is also 24 hours and also offers a 5% discount year round...
Kroger is also at Barracks, right? Maybe I'll check that out.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53 am

vamedic03 wrote:Kroger is also 24 hours and also offers a 5% discount year round...
Yeah, but that means shopping at Kroger.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”