UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
RVP11

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 pm

showNprove wrote: My fiancee and I are renting a storage unit at Public Storage on Emmitt. The lady who works there is pretty friendly.
How much stuff do you have for storage and when are you putting your stuff in? My lease starts June 1 so you could have free storage at my place if I can work something out with my landlord. I won't be moving til late July so it's just empty space.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I am from VA, and when I tell people I'm going to UVA I get one of two reactions.

1) Wow, congratulations, that's amazing.

or

2) *shrug*, "Did you not get into W&M?"

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:21 pm

I know we've talked about restaurants a little before, but I have a couple of questions:

Where is the best pizza?

Where is the best mexican? (aside from Chiptole, obviously)

My BF and I plan on trying several of each this summer to try and scope out our favorites, but I'd really like some suggestions from anyone who has a fav already!

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:23 pm

limegreen wrote:I know we've talked about restaurants a little before, but I have a couple of questions:

Where is the best pizza?

My BF and I plan on trying several of each this summer to try and scope out our favorites, but I'd really like some suggestions from anyone who has a fav already!
I don't know if this is the best pizza, but the host I stayed with really liked Christian's - which is on the downtown mall.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Hey, for the public storage place (I saw it looking online earlier). How much are you paying per month? What exactly is the process getting everything set up? Thanks for the help.

Also, I checked out the reclocube thing, it seemed easy enough, but I would have to pay around $1500 dollars to move my stuff and store it for 2.5 months. Doesn't seem worth it since my furniture combined probably isn't worth that much.

Anyone know if you can just rent a car with a hitch and then rent one of the U-Haul trailors? I was looking at this and the total cost of moving everything this way was around $400. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EaglesXLIV

New

Post by EaglesXLIV » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:31 pm

jdn012 wrote:
limegreen wrote:I know we've talked about restaurants a little before, but I have a couple of questions:

Where is the best pizza?

I don't know if this is the best pizza, but the host I stayed with really liked Christian's - which is on the downtown mall.
There's also one on the Corner, though I'm not sure if there's a difference between it and the one downtown. Mellow Mushroom on the corner is also another popular choice.

I think most of the final financial aid stuff is up now for anyone who is interested.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm

showNprove wrote:Being in NC right now, I can attest to the overblown perception of Campbell. It's funny how many people are targeting it and think it's much better than it actually is. Still, I've never met anyone from NC who thought UNC, or any other NC school with the exception of Duke, compares to UVA. Reading YC's post was odd to me.

When I told my American Studies TA that I'd be going to UVA Law, her face lit up and she congratulated me. I think people who have been through the higher education system more than casually tend to know more about what's going on.

My family (aunts, uncles, etc), however, were most impressed by my acceptance at Notre Dame :roll:
RTF wrote:Hey,

Sorry to break up the thread convo, but I was wondering if anyone knew a good storage facility around UVa where I could store my furniture before I move into Charlottesville? I've got to move out of NYC in a month.

I read of the the PODS thing, but I don't believe those are available in Manhattan. Anyways, if you have any thoughts let me know. Thanks.
My fiancee and I are renting a storage unit at Public Storage on Emmitt. The lady who works there is pretty friendly.
I've experienced the same thing in NC. Campbell carries a bunch of NC lay prestige.

TaoTao

New

Post by TaoTao » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm

Hey all!

I received my financial aid package today :? and was wondering if someone in a similar situation could answer a couple questions.

Unless I'm mistaken, payments on a Grad Plus loan begin at disbursement. If I accept the $42K per year, around how much will the monthly payment be? Is the interest rate on a Grad Plus that much better than something like a Sallie Mae Signature loan (where payments are deferred until graduation)?

Thank you!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Where is the best pizza?

Christian's !!! There's one on the Corner and one in historic downtown.

ed: the one on the corner wasn't as fresh as the one in historic downtown when I went. I've been to the one in historic downtown thrice and each time it was FLAWLESS

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:52 pm

TaoTao wrote:Hey all!

I received my financial aid package today :? and was wondering if someone in a similar situation could answer a couple questions.

Unless I'm mistaken, payments on a Grad Plus loan begin at disbursement. If I accept the $42K per year, around how much will the monthly payment be? Is the interest rate on a Grad Plus that much better than something like a Sallie Mae Signature loan (where payments are deferred until graduation)?

Thank you!
Yea I am confused about how Grad Plus loans work too. Do we have to make payments during school? How are we supposed to do that?

Also, how long do we have to accept/decline aid? I am not sure I want to take out the full amount. Is everyone else thinking about taking out less than full?

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 pm

limegreen wrote:

Thank you!
Yea I am confused about how Grad Plus loans work too. Do we have to make payments during school? How are we supposed to do that?

Also, how long do we have to accept/decline aid? I am not sure I want to take out the full amount. Is everyone else thinking about taking out less than full?
I thought you had to make interest payments in school for unsubsidized stafford loans as well or is that not correct?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:56 pm

jdn012 wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Thank you!

I thought you had to make interest payments in school for unsubsidized stafford loans as well or is that not correct?
I thought that unsubsidized stafford loans accrued interest during school but you don't pay it back until after?

Someone who knows please help! This is a mess.

EaglesXLIV

New

Post by EaglesXLIV » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm

limegreen wrote:

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what's up with the Grad plus. Seems like it would kind of defeat the point of taking out a loan in the first place, unless they're making you pay only a small fraction of the loan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Where is the best pizza?

It's pretty hard to fuck up pizza. There are plenty of acceptable places in Charlottesville; I'd say Christian's is overrated as is Crozet Pizza. They're both good but not go-out-of-your-way-to-go-there good.

TaoTao

New

Post by TaoTao » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm

jdn012 wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Thank you!

So we have to make payments while in school on BOTH the Grad Plus AND unsubsidized stafford loans? :evil: How about subsidized stafford loans?

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Has anyone else still NOT gotten financial aid info? I got the email today, but there's nothing in my financial aid section on SIS...nor is there anything in my "to-do" box.

Note: I still haven't submitted my seat deposit because my parents are the most frustrating people alive when it comes to parting with large-ish sums of $, so that probably has something to do with it...but I emailed them and asked about that and they didn't mention anything...

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:01 pm

TaoTao wrote:
jdn012 wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Thank you!

So we have to make payments while in school on BOTH the Grad Plus AND unsubsidized stafford loans? :evil: How about subsidized stafford loans?
I thought that the reason they are subsidized stafford loans is that they accrue interest when you're in school but you don't have to pay anything until you are out of school. Unsubsidized loans are those on which you pay back interest while in school. I am not entirely sure though, maybe someone could clear this up?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:04 pm

According to Wikipedia ( :) )

Stafford loans are available both as subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Subsidized loans are offered to students based on demonstrated financial need. The interest on Subsidized loans is paid by the federal government while the student is in school, during the grace period, and during authorized deferment. For unsubsidized Stafford loans, students are responsible for all of the interest that accrues while the student is enrolled in school. The interest may be deferred throughout enrollment. Unpaid interest that is deferred until after graduation is capitalized (added to the loan principal).

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:05 pm

I thought subsidized ones didn't accrue interest while you are in school, and unsubsidized accrue it but you don't pay it back until after. I am a total newb at this though.

skyisthelimit

New

Post by skyisthelimit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 pm

google has these answers.
--LinkRemoved--

you can defer payments on a gradplus loan while you are in school

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 pm

omg wrote:Has anyone else still NOT gotten financial aid info? I got the email today, but there's nothing in my financial aid section on SIS...nor is there anything in my "to-do" box.

Note: I still haven't submitted my seat deposit because my parents are the most frustrating people alive when it comes to parting with large-ish sums of $, so that probably has something to do with it...but I emailed them and asked about that and they didn't mention anything...
My loan information isn't up yet, either, and I got that email today. I don't know if it's because I only did my corrected FAFSA this weekend (although I only missed by $27 with my estimate, it's not like it changed anything), or if there's a problem and I should be worried. I did send an email to Christine in the financial aid office letting her know that I'd submitted the corrected one and to let me know if they didn't get it. I haven't heard anything, so I guess that means all is well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Stafford loans require no payments while in school. Subsidized does not start accruing interest until you have graduated, while unsubsidized does start accruing interest, but you need not make any payments. I've had both of these while in undergrad and don't plan on making any payments until I get out of law school.

With GRADPlus loans, there is no need for repayment while you are in school at least part-time and your payments can be rolled into one, neat payment with your Stafford loans when you graduate.

For more information: --LinkRemoved--

Hope this helps and eases some loan fears.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks a.williams.

Is everyone taking the full amount?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”