UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jasofbase2001

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by jasofbase2001 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Did you guys see the new video on YouTube? (http://www.youtube.com/user/UVALawSchool)

Once again, Mike Sullivan is good for a laugh. "Beer Run is right there...you got great topless places..."

rodrigst

New

Post by rodrigst » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:40 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:Did you guys see the new video on YouTube? (http://www.youtube.com/user/UVALawSchool)

Once again, Mike Sullivan is good for a laugh. "Beer Run is right there...you got great topless places..."
Not sure, but I think he might have said "tapas" places (as in Spanish restaurants). Your version is better, though. You should start writing his material.

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:Did you guys see the new video on YouTube? (http://www.youtube.com/user/UVALawSchool)

tapas places.... :lol:

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:44 pm

LOL I was wondering if I messed that up. I listened to it seriously five times and was surprised the law school would allow that on their website.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:11 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:Ideal weather: snow on the ground all winter long with temperatures hovering around 25. Spring 58 with plenty of sun. Summer high of 78 with wind at all times and no humidity. 85 on an extremely hot day.
Flagstaff, AZ has almost the exact conditions you describe.
Hmmm...i have a feeling Flagstaff might be lacking the beautiful fall leaves I am seeking...? I think I would fit in really well in Vermont or New Hampshire. While the winters are colder than I prefer, once you go below 20 degrees everything feels about the same to me.

I went and got my computer configured at the law school today (wireless network, wireless printing, etc.). Stacey Hughes, the main IT person at the law school, was extremely nice and helpful.

Parking note: I didn't know where I was allowed to park and was running late so I didn't have time to ask the front desk for a visitor's pass. I ended up parking to the left of the law school in what turned out to be the faculty lot. I came back and had a ticket on my car (not unexpected) and was shocked when the fine said "$0.00." It was just a warning. Coming from the land of $25 parking tickets, I love UVA already!
Everybody gets 1 free ticket.

For the record, there are meter spots behind the law school, 25 cents per half hour. They're usually tough to get during the year but probably will be fairly empty before school starts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:18 pm

gladiator wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:Ideal weather: snow on the ground all winter long with temperatures hovering around 25. Spring 58 with plenty of sun. Summer high of 78 with wind at all times and no humidity. 85 on an extremely hot day.
Flagstaff, AZ has almost the exact conditions you describe.
Hmmm...i have a feeling Flagstaff might be lacking the beautiful fall leaves I am seeking...? I think I would fit in really well in Vermont or New Hampshire. While the winters are colder than I prefer, once you go below 20 degrees everything feels about the same to me.

I went and got my computer configured at the law school today (wireless network, wireless printing, etc.). Stacey Hughes, the main IT person at the law school, was extremely nice and helpful.

Parking note: I didn't know where I was allowed to park and was running late so I didn't have time to ask the front desk for a visitor's pass. I ended up parking to the left of the law school in what turned out to be the faculty lot. I came back and had a ticket on my car (not unexpected) and was shocked when the fine said "$0.00." It was just a warning. Coming from the land of $25 parking tickets, I love UVA already!
Everybody gets 1 free ticket.

For the record, there are meter spots behind the law school, 25 cents per half hour. They're usually tough to get during the year but probably will be fairly empty before school starts.
Well I was impressed I got even one freebie. That's good to know about the spots behind the law school - carrying two computers without an umbrella on a day when it looked like it could pour at any moment, I was not about to walk far.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:37 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
Well I was impressed I got even one freebie. That's good to know about the spots behind the law school - carrying two computers without an umbrella on a day when it looked like it could pour at any moment, I was not about to walk far.
On another note, who do you talk to about scheduling a time to bring in your computer to get your computer configured? Did you have one of the law school bundles or did you have your own computer?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
On another note, who do you talk to about scheduling a time to bring in your computer to get your computer configured? Did you have one of the law school bundles or did you have your own computer?
I ordered a mac bundle and sent an email to lawitc@virginia.edu last week asking when I could pick it up. As it turned out, I was supposed to contact someone else about picking it up (Cavalier Computers for those also wanting to pick up their computer early), but Stacey Hughes, head of the law school IT department, emailed me back saying that after I pick it up I should come see her and she'd configure it early for me.

If you are in VA early and want to avoid a headache of an orientation session, I recommend sending her an email at lawitc@virginia.edu and making an appointment to configure things early. Mine had several problems and it took about half an hour. They set up both my new computer and my current computer and she said two or three times she wished everyone could come in early to configure things.

Sorry this isn't very succinct or well-written. Final words: email lawitc@virginia.edu if you want to configure your internet/printing on your computer (bundle or no bundle) before orientation.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hera

New

Post by Hera » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Sorry to backtrack, but Skyisthelimit, where exactly did you find the % fees on SIS?

Also, do we have to set up quickpay to pay tuition even if we don't want to do the monthly payments? I have no previous experience using financial aid, so I apologize if my questions are lame. Someone had told me that the school automatically takes out tuition and fees out of the loan and then just gives you a check/ deposit for the rest for your living expenses. Is this true? And where do we go to set up direct deposit to receive the loan funds? ( The link that was posted several pages ago seems to be to set up direct transfer to pay tuition only, but maybe I am wrong.)

For anyone still worried about the "To Do" list on SIS, I got an e-mail this morning about how the loan counseling sessions will eventually show up as completed, but it will take time.

Thanks bunches!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:07 pm

I just spent a $20 copayment to get my doctor to copy a few dates out of my file and sign off that I've had all my shots.

He's a great and funny guy though. While he's hand copying everything he goes, "A monkey could do this job." He also asked me, "You're not gonna be the kind of lawyer that sues doctors, right?"

skyisthelimit

New

Post by skyisthelimit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Hera wrote:Sorry to backtrack, but Skyisthelimit, where exactly did you find the % fees on SIS?
i clicked on the loan in SIS and saw what they were charging me in fees. then i calculated what the percentage of the fee was based on the loan and it was higher than it should be.

let's say my loan is $10,000. in the hypothetical, the fee i am being charged currently is $400 (4%).

it might interest other people to check this out if you are taking out gradplus loans.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 pm

What is this about getting our computers configured? Is this something I need to have done or can I do it myself?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:50 pm

limegreen wrote:What is this about getting our computers configured? Is this something I need to have done or can I do it myself?
it takes barely any time at all....i would just have them do it. you'll be at the school anyways.

Hera

New

Post by Hera » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:17 pm

skyisthelimit wrote:
Hera wrote:Sorry to backtrack, but Skyisthelimit, where exactly did you find the % fees on SIS?
i clicked on the loan in SIS and saw what they were charging me in fees. then i calculated what the percentage of the fee was based on the loan and it was higher than it should be.

let's say my loan is $10,000. in the hypothetical, the fee i am being charged currently is $400 (4%).

it might interest other people to check this out if you are taking out gradplus loans.

Thanks! I have Discover for all my loans too, and my GRADPLUS fee % is coming out to 4% as well. It was 2% for the unsubidized and subsidized stafford loans. Should we be concerned about this or will Discover take care of it eventually?

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:58 pm

People do realize that you can get any shots you need as well as the health forms filled out at the Student Health Center for free, right?

1LGirl

New

Post by 1LGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Im confused... if we're paying our tuition with loans didn't I read we don't use Quickpay? Do we just wait until we get our loan money and it takes out the tuition payment? Sorry if this is a dumb question!!

Thanks! :)

I'm new to writing on this forum, but have been reading it for a while--can't wait for UVA!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 pm

1LGirl wrote:Im confused... if we're paying our tuition with loans didn't I read we don't use Quickpay? Do we just wait until we get our loan money and it takes out the tuition payment? Sorry if this is a dumb question!!

I'm new to writing on this forum, but have been reading it for a while--can't wait for UVA!
Welcome :)...I was told our loan money gets sent to UVA, and they take out the amount for tuition/fees and send us a check for the remainder.

Hera

New

Post by Hera » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
1LGirl wrote:Im confused... if we're paying our tuition with loans didn't I read we don't use Quickpay? Do we just wait until we get our loan money and it takes out the tuition payment? Sorry if this is a dumb question!!

Welcome :)...I was told our loan money gets sent to UVA, and they take out the amount for tuition/fees and send us a check for the remainder.

So do they really mail/hand us a check or do we have to set up direct deposit? If so, anyone have a good link?

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Hera wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:

So do they really mail/hand us a check or do we have to set up direct deposit? If so, anyone have a good link?
I think this is the right form: http://www.hrs.virginia.edu/forms/dir-deposit.pdf

They can mail you a check, but they strongly suggest doing direct deposit since it gets you your money a lot quicker

Hera

New

Post by Hera » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
Hera wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:

I think this is the right form: http://www.hrs.virginia.edu/forms/dir-deposit.pdf

They can mail you a check, but they strongly suggest doing direct deposit since it gets you your money a lot quicker
Thanks a bunch! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 pm

Anyone interested in TLS Meet-up #2?

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone interested in TLS Meet-up #2?
I'll be in town all day Friday and would love to do something with yall

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone interested in TLS Meet-up #2?
I'll be in town all day Friday and would love to do something with yall

sounds good to me

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:02 pm

Pleeeeease if you guys do something, don't go to Chipotle. Be adventurous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”