UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iamjikem

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by iamjikem » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:19 pm

CE2JD wrote:
iamjikem wrote:Also, for those of us with pre-existing conditions who HAVE maintained continuous coverage or qualify in one of the other ways stated, we get health insurance that DOES cover our pre-existing condition.
Sure, but you could get health insurance like the Anthem plan I cited that covers pre-existing conditions for much cheaper.
Maybe, maybe not. That's what I was trying to say in the first part of my response. I could get it cheaper in theory, but they have to accept you to their plan first. Or, I've heard that some will accept you, but raise your premium. Unfortunately, if you have a pre-existing condition, you are at the mercy of the insurance companies unless you can get covered by a group plan (i.e. school or work).

In all reality, I will probably be denied by Anthem because I have to go see a rheumatologist twice a year and have some prescriptions associated with that. If I am denied there, Aetna will probably be my next best option.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:20 pm

limegreen wrote:I'm confused and new to this so maybe someone can help me.

I have a pre existing condition, and I'm currently using COBRA to get my Anthem plan because my insurance was through my Dad's work and he passed away last year. I have this insurance until the end of this year and I was told I need to get new insurance before it runs out and I will be fine. Is that not the case? Am I going to have a hard time getting insurance even if I get it before the COBRA runs out because of my pre existing condition?
Depending on the condition, you may have a hard time getting coverage. But Anthem will cover just about anyone, as long as they pay the elevated premiums that will undoubtedly come with a pre-existing condition.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:21 pm

I have a pre existing condition, and I'm currently using COBRA to get my Anthem plan because my insurance was through my Dad's work and he passed away last year. I have this insurance until the end of this year and I was told I need to get new insurance before it runs out and I will be fine. Is that not the case? Am I going to have a hard time getting insurance even if I get it before the COBRA runs out because of my pre existing condition?
Don't quote me on this because I am not an insurance agent or anything. But I think you should be able to get coverage because, despite it being through COBRA, you have had continuous coverage. There was no break in your health coverage. The people with more trouble are the ones that have a significant break in coverage. It also depends on what your pre-existing condition is...

I would still talk to someone who is in the insurance business though, for clarification.

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Worst case scenario you will have to go with the school's plan. It's a group insurance plan, and since you will be part of the "group" as a student, you won't be denied. You may or may not have difficulty finding health insurance otherwise. And, since you have been continuously covered, the school's plan can't deny your claims associated with that pre-existing condition. They'll likely ask for a certificate of continuous coverage, which your current health insurance company should send to you once you discontinue coverage with them. Your ability to get covered in a non-group plan often depends on the pre-existing condition and how expensive or potentially expensive the insurance companies feel it will be for them.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:bars are great!

green

Bronze

Post by green » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 pm

CE2JD wrote:
thesealocust wrote:bars are great!
I loled.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks for all the pointers everyone. We spoke with the insurance person at my Dad's work and she said it would be expensive but I would still be able to be covered since I didn't have any lapse in coverage. I will probably stick with Anthem because I already know how all of their stuff works and they have some decent looking plans. I am going to start looking into it seriously soon because it runs out in about six months, but I am trying to sort of get an idea of what is going on before I make any calls.

Anyone know how long it normally takes? I don't plan on waiting until the last minute but I don't really know what the last minute would be.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Another question that I'm pretty sure I knew at some point:
To which address do we send an official transcript?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey, Limegreen, any more comments on Charlottesville? More impressions? (it's Friday night, and I need to get an injection of excitement about the next month.)

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:27 pm

showNprove wrote:
napolnic wrote:Another question that I'm pretty sure I knew at some point:
Office of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Law
580 Massie Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22903

Wow. I actually have that memorized.
Thanks! Some random people memorize things well and some people memorize random things well.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:50 pm

napolnic wrote:Hey, Limegreen, any more comments on Charlottesville? More impressions? (it's Friday night, and I need to get an injection of excitement about the next month.)
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 pm

showNprove wrote:
Office of Admissions
580 Massie Rd

Do we have to have the transcript sent directly from our undergrad, or can we send it ourselves? I dunno if they're as picky as LSAC was about this.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
showNprove wrote:
Office of Admissions
580 Massie Rd

Do we have to have the transcript sent directly from our undergrad, or can we send it ourselves? I dunno if they're as picky as LSAC was about this.
I seem to remember something about it being an official transcript; so I would image you would have to get your UG institute to send it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:11 pm

CE2JD wrote:Okay, I just got off the phone with someone at the Elson Student Health Center and they said that all law students WHILE THEY ARE ENROLLED IN CLASSES are eligible to use the student health center FOR FREE!!!! So you won't be able to use the health center during the summer unless you pay an additional fee.

So I truly have no clue why anyone would purchase the university health plan through Aetna.
I haven't seen anyone point this out; if they have and I missed it, I apologize.

But the student health center is not going to be equipped to handle everything. There are going to be things that happen between 12AM and 8AM, or things that happen that are beyond the basic urgent care services provided by the SHC. In those cases you WILL end up having to go to a hospital, and without health insurance you will basically bankrupt yourself in a single visit.

Health insurance is just that, insurance. You may not need it, and I certainly hope that none of you do during your time at UVA Law, but you pay for it so you're prepared if something happens and you do.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 pm

geoffree wrote:
iceberger wrote:Looks like they changed the recommended Apple laptop on the law school site. It's now the 13" Apple Macbook Pro for $1499.00. I'm excited, because I was a couple days away from purchasing the old one for $200 more.

http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop ... AB1188B1B1

Edit: Hmmm... not as happy about the 90GB less hard drive I'll be getting and the 2.26 GHz compared to 2.4 GHz
What makes it pro?
The new 13" Pro has a higher quality display and a 7-hour lithium-polymer battery that's supposed to last 5 years instead of the normal 2-3. Also, they brought the Firewire port back, and added an SD Card slot.

However, the real reason they're calling it "Pro" now is just to unify the product line. All the MacBooks that have aluminum cases are called "Pro", the only one that's not a "Pro" is the old one with the white plastic case that's known to crack and break easily.

There's been a lot of argument on Apple sites over whether the 13 deserves to be called a "Pro" or not since it's basically the same laptop as the old aluminum 13 non-Pro. But it doesn't really matter, 'cause it's called a Pro now whether it deserves the Pro name or not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Ok, sorry again to be the only one still on loans (and not moved on to health insurance yet, haha), but...

I don't know which lender I want to use yet. Is there nowhere online where I can compare the different lenders (since their links on SIS lead to a blank page)? I understand that I'm supposed to apply with a lender once I've chosen one, but how do I make an informed decision?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:28 pm

omg wrote:Ok, sorry again to be the only one still on loans (and not moved on to health insurance yet, haha), but...

I don't know which lender I want to use yet. Is there nowhere online where I can compare the different lenders (since their links on SIS lead to a blank page)? I understand that I'm supposed to apply with a lender once I've chosen one, but how do I make an informed decision?
There's no central place that I know of, but you can go to each lender's site and see what they have to offer in terms of student loans.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:33 pm

napolnic wrote:
omg wrote:Ok, sorry again to be the only one still on loans (and not moved on to health insurance yet, haha), but...

There's no central place that I know of, but you can go to each lender's site and see what they have to offer in terms of student loans.
That's what I was afraid of...but very good to know! Thanks for the help :)

rsr28

New

Post by rsr28 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Health insurance is just that, insurance. You may not need it, and I certainly hope that none of you do during your time at UVA Law, but you pay for it so you're prepared if something happens and you do.
Moreover, it is a requirement of remaining enrolled for your spring semester.

Nobody was arguing about not getting health insurance, they were arguing which one to get.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:57 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:26 pm

UVA Baseball College World Series Game 1 vs. LSU, Tonight 7 PM EST on ESPN

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: The new 13" Pro has a higher quality display and a 7-hour lithium-polymer battery that's supposed to last 5 years instead of the normal 2-3.
"supposed" is key there, I'll be interested to see real world results. I've also heard that it is non user-replaceable - and while I know the plural of anecdote is not statistic, I've had two batteries go bad on my macbook and I'd be skeptical about a non-user-changeable battery.
Uh-oh, you've gotten thesealocust started.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:17 pm

geoffree wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: The new 13" Pro has a higher quality display and a 7-hour lithium-polymer battery that's supposed to last 5 years instead of the normal 2-3.
"supposed" is key there, I'll be interested to see real world results. I've also heard that it is non user-replaceable - and while I know the plural of anecdote is not statistic, I've had two batteries go bad on my macbook and I'd be skeptical about a non-user-changeable battery.
Uh-oh, you've gotten thesealocust started.
Shhh! We were all going to let it slide because limegreen should be reporting on Charlottesville and not debating about computers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”