UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
vamedic03

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by vamedic03 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Anyone read Schauer's Thinking like a lawyer... it was on the recommended reading list (ie, the if you're bored this summer)... I've gotten about 2/3 through it and have found it quite fascinating... also, I'd recommend the Blank Slate (very fascinating, but quite slow)...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue May 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue May 19, 2009 10:49 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:I was going to say the same thing, that it's probably an automated response that everyone gets. I sent a transcript request to my undergrad today. If July comes around and I haven't heard anything, I'm just going to call the office to confirm.
I got that message with both my deposits a few months and I had sent them my transcript back in October... I'm still half-way tempted to send them another transcript just to be sure. (Sadly for us UVA grads, that's a $5 fee to have the transcript sent 2 blocks)
When I needed my GPA verified for a car insurance discount, nobody at the law school or the Registrar would just sign the form for me and kept pushing me off to the next office. They eventually forced me to order a transcript to show them my grades. Definitely the most frustrating moment I've had here.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Wed May 20, 2009 11:10 am

vamedic03 wrote:Anyone read Schauer's Thinking like a lawyer... it was on the recommended reading list (ie, the if you're bored this summer)... I've gotten about 2/3 through it and have found it quite fascinating... also, I'd recommend the Blank Slate (very fascinating, but quite slow)...
I'm reading Schauer's book. I got half way through and got distracted by other books I guess, even though I was enjoying it. One bit of info that I remember standing out had to do with how expert opinion used to only be admissible if the expert was dead... perhaps because the opinion can't change if the expert is dead. Crazy, right?
Anyways, you've motivated me to pick the book back up.

Ellners87

New

Post by Ellners87 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Anyone read Schauer's Thinking like a lawyer... it was on the recommended reading list (ie, the if you're bored this summer)... I've gotten about 2/3 through it and have found it quite fascinating... also, I'd recommend the Blank Slate (very fascinating, but quite slow)...
I read the Blank Slate for an undergrad class. It's interesting, certainly, but I found Pinker to be a little full of it at times. Although there is a great discussion about humanity's innate aversion to incest. I recommend reading at least a few of the chapters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed May 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Quick finaid question: I recently filled out the discover loan apps where they listed 6.8% fixed on stafford loans. The MPN kinda confused me though when it said, "The interest rate on a Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan and a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is a variable rate that is based on a formula established in the Act...my interest my change annually but it will never exceed 8.25%" Am I missing something with this discrepancy or (more likely) do I just not understand financing?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 pm

kguilf99

New

Post by kguilf99 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm bored!! I have three weeks left at work and my boss quit last week= I basically just have to show up. Anyone else excited about hiking, cycling, or camping in Shenandoah Valley?! I want to buy panniers for my bike and ride to the national park from Charlottesville and then camp, hopefully I'll find some people to come with me! Also, when I visited in March I saw some really cool wineries around Charlottesville, more or less big farm houses that you would never guess were vineyards and wineries just by looking at them. Hopefully we'll have time to do lots of exploring July-October or so before we have to step up the studying? Of course, I'm excited for the actual law school part too :o)

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed May 20, 2009 4:53 pm

kguilf99 wrote:I'm bored!! I have three weeks left at work and my boss quit last week= I basically just have to show up. Anyone else excited about hiking, cycling, or camping in Shenandoah Valley?! I want to buy panniers for my bike and ride to the national park from Charlottesville and then camp, hopefully I'll find some people to come with me! Also, when I visited in March I saw some really cool wineries around Charlottesville, more or less big farm houses that you would never guess were vineyards and wineries just by looking at them. Hopefully we'll have time to do lots of exploring July-October or so before we have to step up the studying? Of course, I'm excited for the actual law school part too :o)
You're not already studying?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed May 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Am I the only non-outdoorsy type going to UVA? You will never find me near the woods or doing anything that remotely resembles camping.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed May 20, 2009 4:58 pm

limegreen wrote:Am I the only non-outdoorsy type going to UVA? You will never find me near the woods or doing anything that remotely resembles camping.
Don't worry, we can fix you.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:00 pm

limegreen wrote:Am I the only non-outdoorsy type going to UVA? You will never find me near the woods or doing anything that remotely resembles camping.
I camped for the first time in my life a year ago and I think I've only fished like half a dozen times with cousins in Maine. Outdoors for me is going to the beach.

This is what happens when you're raised in the city.

kguilf99

New

Post by kguilf99 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Studying these:
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Wed May 20, 2009 5:04 pm

kguilf99 wrote:I'm bored!! I have three weeks left at work and my boss quit last week= I basically just have to show up. Anyone else excited about hiking, cycling, or camping in Shenandoah Valley?! I want to buy panniers for my bike and ride to the national park from Charlottesville and then camp, hopefully I'll find some people to come with me! Also, when I visited in March I saw some really cool wineries around Charlottesville, more or less big farm houses that you would never guess were vineyards and wineries just by looking at them. Hopefully we'll have time to do lots of exploring July-October or so before we have to step up the studying? Of course, I'm excited for the actual law school part too :o)

I'm pretty excited about all the hiking, biking, etc around charlottesville as well. I just got back from a 3-day canoe trip this weekend and am definitely eager to get back outdoors before the summer is out.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Anyone know how Charlottesville weather is in August? Will we even want to be outdoors?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone know how Charlottesville weather is in August? Will we even want to be outdoors?
August: High 84, low 66. Sounds good to me 8)

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... undeclared
Okay. Wow. I didn't know I was going to law school in Virginiafornia. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Wed May 20, 2009 5:28 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone know how Charlottesville weather is in August? Will we even want to be outdoors?

Okay. Wow. I didn't know I was going to law school in Virginiafornia. :)
Gotta watch out for the humidity.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm

gladiator wrote:Gotta watch out for the humidity.
I can't complain. I get to escape August in Phoenix, which is like living in a 110 degree version of the South.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed May 20, 2009 5:41 pm

JSUVA, are you going to People's College now?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:45 pm

Cavalier wrote:JSUVA, are you going to People's College now?
Just for UG. :wink:

Kidding of course. My school had a lot more communists than PCL.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:

I'm from Richmond...and the weather is never that simple. It's like, 95 degrees one day, 65 the next, and then 100 the day after that - so it all averages to something nice like 85, but dang. Or maybe I just feel like it's that hot because I'm a runner and so the time I spend outside involves blacktop roads...either way, I'm excited to be back in Virginia for the winters. Utah is just killing me, and I just had one of the best winters ever by escaping to the balmy land of the Scots (hey, 35 degrees is WARM when your friends are walking to school in two feet of snow!).

And I am totally down with outdoorsy adventures. I really want to get into biking (which, I guess, means I'll have to buy a bike) and I'm signed up for the Richmond marathon this November, which means I'll be spending a lot of time in the great outdoors.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Has anybody checked out or know anything about the Huntington Village townhomes near Ivy Gardens? I don't think I ever saw them mentioned in housing discussions, but a 3 bdrm 2 1/2 bath there seems like a nice alternative to Ivy.

Nicomedes

New

Post by Nicomedes » Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 am

Here's a random question for all my fellow future UVAers around here. I've only been to Charlottesville 3 times, and they have all been to check out the law school, so I know nothing about the area. Anyway, my girlfriend suggested we go spend memorial day down in charlottesville, since she has never been there either. Only problem I foresee is having a lack of things to do all day other than walk around campus, get something to eat, etc.

So I turn to you - any must-see things down in the Charlottesville area? Fun things to do? Cool places that we should check out? Any suggestions would be awesome - i'm pretty clueless as to the area.

Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”