UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:46 pm

When I tell anyone here that I'm going to Virginia, they ask "oh, did you get rejected by UW?" One person knew that a couple Kennedys went there, so he knew it was a good school, but everyone else seems to think its just another ordinary state school.

Oh well, if I was concerned with impressing lay people, I just would have gone to Georgetown.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I never know the proper response, either. I've always just let it slide, but I feel like I should stick up for my future school.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 pm

lsatbobby wrote:I never know the proper response, either. I've always just let it slide, but I feel like I should stick up for my future school.
I just say "it's a really great school, it's in the top 10." That usually helps.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 pm

lsatbobby wrote:I never know the proper response, either. I've always just let it slide, but I feel like I should stick up for my future school.
I think the proper response is probably just to say "yeah well I'm happy I'm going to UVA" or "it was my first choice". If people bother to try and understand you, they'll realize UVA = great school, but you won't sound like an ostentatious douche.

I remember I had a couple acquaitances at Penn UG in some Facebook group designed to spread the word that Penn = Ivy/prestigious/not a state school/difficult to get into. My reaction: "wow, insecure much?"

note: I did not go to Penn, and a.williams (if you're reading this), I'm PMing you now so check yo box.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 pm

I remember I had a couple friends at Penn in some Facebook group designed to spread the word that Penn = Ivy/prestigious/difficult to get into. My reaction: "wow, insecure much?"
Well, if I was paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend an Ivy, I would want everyone to know that it was, in fact, an Ivy. I find it kind of amusing that a lot of people think it's just a state school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:59 pm

If laypeople ran US News Law School Rankings...

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Georgetown
7. Duke
8. The school closest to their house
9. The school their relative(s) attended
10. All the schools in their state
11+. Everywhere else

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:02 pm

gladiator wrote:If laypeople ran US News Law School Rankings...

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Georgetown
7. Duke
11+. Everywhere else
Haha! That's true - everyone asks about Princeton. I think Cornell should be thrown in there between Stanford and Georgetown, since most people know that it's an Ivy.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:02 pm

gladiator wrote:If laypeople ran US News Law School Rankings...

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Georgetown
7. Duke
11+. Everywhere else
For my state, it'd be
1. Harvard
2. Georgetown
3. Big State School
4. Cooley (we send a lot of grads there)

I agree with the above responses to people's confusion about ranks. We don't want to sound like jerks.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Cavalier wrote:
I remember I had a couple friends at Penn in some Facebook group designed to spread the word that Penn = Ivy/prestigious/difficult to get into. My reaction: "wow, insecure much?"
Well, if I was paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend an Ivy, I would want everyone to know that it was, in fact, an Ivy. I find it kind of amusing that a lot of people think it's just a state school.
The people who care about academic rankings will be impressed. People who don't care probably still won't care when you tell them. IDK. I just think it's lose/lose and I'd feel awkward telling someone "NO I GO TO A GOOOOOD SCHOOL".

I get a lot of "oh doesn't ASU have a good law school?" when I tell people I'm going to UVA. I think it's best just to say "yeah". Let people find out on their own, if they care.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:04 pm

lsatbobby wrote:I never know the proper response, either.
Yeah, I have yet to work this one out. When I was still deciding on schools, I mentioned that I'd gotten into Georgetown and my aunt's father was like, "Oh, that's a great school, you should definitely go there." I responded, "Well, actually, while Georgetown's a good school, it's got considerably more lay prestige than professional prestige; UVA and Penn are actually both ranked higher."

I was trying to be polite about it, but as soon as the words "lay prestige" came out of my mouth, I felt like a total douche.

Of course, my aunt's dad is kind of a know-it-all jerk who treats his wife like she's a half-wit, so he probably deserved it.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm

I think it depends who you're talking to, most of the time I will mention it's a top 10 school but not as a means of self-validation, just to correct their mistaken belief. If the person is just a moron though, it might not be worth it.

Nicomedes

New

Post by Nicomedes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:11 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
The people who care about academic rankings will be impressed. People who don't care probably still won't care when you tell them. IDK. I just think it's lose/lose and I'd feel awkward telling someone "NO I GO TO A GOOOOOD SCHOOL".

I get a lot of "oh doesn't ASU have a good law school?" when I tell people I'm going to UVA. I think it's best just to say "yeah". Let people find out on their own, if they care.

Are you an ASU alum by chance? Just graduated in December from out there..

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Nicomedes wrote:Are you an ASU alum by chance? Just graduated in December from out there..
NAU actually. Are you an Arizonan? Coming to UVA?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nicomedes

New

Post by Nicomedes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:22 pm

Actually originally from Maryland. College scholarship took me way out west, but Arizona was a blast. And yea, just decided on UVA, pending the Harvard waitlist.

whatsnext

New

Post by whatsnext » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 pm

has anyone been able to get UVA to give them $$$ after not getting an initial offer? I was pretty set on UVA until I got the no money letter. Now I don't see how I can pass up the money Michigan offered me.

I've emailed and called the admissions and financial aid office, but haven't gotten anywhere. They say they can't make any additional offers until after the deposit deadline. :(

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:26 pm

whatsnext wrote:has anyone been able to get UVA to give them $$$ after not getting an initial offer? I was pretty set on UVA until I got the no money letter. Now I don't see how I can pass up the money Michigan offered me.

I've emailed and called the admissions and financial aid office, but haven't gotten anywhere. They say they can't make any additional offers until after the deposit deadline. :(
I would think that UVA certainly would compete with a Michigan offer, esp. since UVA probably has received some withdrawals from people with scholly offers. I had to do it in reverse - took UVA's offer to Michigan and they competed, although not enough to draw me away.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Nicomedes wrote:College scholarship took me way out west, but Arizona was a blast.
Hey don't lie. You know you came for the women. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 pm

ILikeIke wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:I never know the proper response, either.
Yeah, I have yet to work this one out. When I was still deciding on schools, I mentioned that I'd gotten into Georgetown and my aunt's father was like, "Oh, that's a great school, you should definitely go there." I responded, "Well, actually, while Georgetown's a good school, it's got considerably more lay prestige than professional prestige; UVA and Penn are actually both ranked higher."

I was trying to be polite about it, but as soon as the words "lay prestige" came out of my mouth, I felt like a total douche.

Of course, my aunt's dad is kind of a know-it-all jerk who treats his wife like she's a half-wit, so he probably deserved it.
I totally know what you mean. My final decision was between UVA and Georgetown, and even moderately informed people here at Harvard were convinced that Georgetown was ranked higher. While it might often sound douche-y to insist to people that UVA is a good school, if you're actually talking about just UVA versus one or two other schools, I think it's totally fine to say that it's ranked higher...which is what I did in my UVA v. Georgetown convos, and I'm pretty sure (at least I hope!) that I didn't come off sounding like an ass.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm

I see nothing wrong with telling people of UVA's ranking. I do it to justify my decision. People in the North West hear "University of Virginia," and their reaction is "why the heck are you going all the way to Virginia? Couldn't get into UW?" By telling them "well, Virginia is an amazing school, it's in the top ten, etc.," they understand why I'm going there.

whatsnext

New

Post by whatsnext » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:38 pm

jdn012 wrote:
whatsnext wrote:has anyone been able to get UVA to give them $$$ after not getting an initial offer? I was pretty set on UVA until I got the no money letter. Now I don't see how I can pass up the money Michigan offered me.

I would think that UVA certainly would compete with a Michigan offer, esp. since UVA probably has received some withdrawals from people with scholly offers. I had to do it in reverse - took UVA's offer to Michigan and they competed, although not enough to draw me away.
Yeah I thought so too, but from the limited searching I've done, I haven't seen anyone negotiate with UVA this year.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Damn, I Just recently got out of bed after that last night usnr craziness. It feels similar to when I wake after a night of drunken revelry and foolishness ... slightly embarrassed and life is put back into perspective lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Hey,

Sorry to break up the thread convo, but I was wondering if anyone knew a good storage facility around UVa where I could store my furniture before I move into Charlottesville? I've got to move out of NYC in a month.

I read of the the PODS thing, but I don't believe those are available in Manhattan. Anyways, if you have any thoughts let me know. Thanks.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:06 pm

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:48 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”