UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
misbuble

New

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:46 pm

probably b/c it's so enticing to spend the day outside

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 pm

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:58 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jase1348 wrote: 1. Chinese - yuan ho has amazing carry out (cheap but good for delivery or pick up)
Their website says they have a convenience store with Chinese groceries, and that made me really happy. Real chili paste and frozen dumplings, yum.
Sorry I wouldn't get too excited about this... it's not much of a market. I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy groceries from there. However, there is a real asian market on rt. 29. I have never been, but we have def talked about going a few times. I know that they have Boba there which is a good sign.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am

no korean food either me thinks. booo, the kimchi will be a stinking if i have to drive back from d.c. with it. dats ok though.

safari

New

Post by safari » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:31 am

limegreen wrote:Well I'm probably the first one but I'm going to be moving into the Woodlands in June. Can't wait!
Can you rent at that place? Or are you buying?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 am

geoffree wrote:no korean food either me thinks. booo, the kimchi will be a stinking if i have to drive back from d.c. with it. dats ok though.
There is apparently a decent Korean place in Charlottesville, I forgot the name though.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:52 am

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:23 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 am

showNprove wrote:This may not be the best item to be thinking about as a prospective law student, but is anybody else excited for softball? :lol:
Actually it is the definitive thing to think about...I have as many softball teams as I do classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:33 am

gladiator wrote:
showNprove wrote:This may not be the best item to be thinking about as a prospective law student, but is anybody else excited for softball? :lol:
Actually it is the definitive thing to think about...I have as many softball teams as I do classes.
Man, I can't wait to get to UVA. Lol.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

safari wrote:
limegreen wrote:Well I'm probably the first one but I'm going to be moving into the Woodlands in June. Can't wait!
Can you rent at that place? Or are you buying?
I'm renting. It's hard to tell by their website, but you can rent. I toured the place last week, it really is as good as it seems in the picture.

--LinkRemoved--

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:07 pm

gladiator wrote:
geoffree wrote:no korean food either me thinks. booo, the kimchi will be a stinking if i have to drive back from d.c. with it. dats ok though.
There is apparently a decent Korean place in Charlottesville, I forgot the name though.
huh, we knew a korean that lived in yogaville about an hour away, and she said she had to drive all the way to dc for her korean groceries. When I came down to visit yogaville, I had to bring a big box of shin-ramyen. Maybe she just didn't know about this place you speak of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm

showNprove wrote:
gladiator wrote:
lol How many games do you play a week?
None yet but when the season starts after Spring Break it might be as many as 5.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 pm

geoffree wrote:
gladiator wrote:
huh, we knew a korean that lived in yogaville about an hour away, and she said she had to drive all the way to dc for her korean groceries. When I came down to visit yogaville, I had to bring a big box of shin-ramyen. Maybe she just didn't know about this place you speak of.
This isn't the one I was thinking of but The Korean House is in Charlottesville, no idea how good it is though. http://www.thekoreanhouse.com/

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey Limegreen,

What did you think about Ivy Gardens. I wanted to live closer to campus and I'm set on living by myself this next year. I already put in an application there and they have sent me my lease.

I put in the application to avoid the rush to get apartments in Charlottesville and have not been able to visit the place myself. I figure if around half the 1L class lives there so it can't be bad.

Anyone else's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 pm

RTF wrote:Hey Limegreen,

What did you think about Ivy Gardens. I wanted to live closer to campus and I'm set on living by myself this next year. I already put in an application there and they have sent me my lease.

I put in the application to avoid the rush to get apartments in Charlottesville and have not been able to visit the place myself. I figure if around half the 1L class lives there so it can't be bad.

Anyone else's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
I was kind of in your shoes before visiting but I have since changed my mind. I'm sure a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this one, but I found it to be underwhelming and a lot like a college dorm. I was hoping to find something moderate in terms of quality and price close to the school, but it seems like my only two options were "luxury" apartments far from school and very much not "luxury" apartments within walking distance.

There was no model apartment, so that was really disappointing. They directed me to their website for a virtual tour which turned out to be little more than couple of poorly lit pictures of one apartment. The outside of the units seem to be adequately taken care of, though the place is definitely dated and older.

It's very large and there are lots of units, it seems like the best units for law/business students are the ones at the very back right near the bridge you walk across to get to campus. I would estimate the walk to be about 5-10 minutes, and since the road entrance is on the other side of the property it would probably take nearly 5 minutes to drive to campus as well.

There are washer/dryer hookups in some units but you have to purchase your own ventless appliances if you want to use them, otherwise I think there are laundry rooms in many of the buildings. It was mentioned somewhere that the cable/internet company they use there isn't the best or most reliable, but I can't really comment on that from experience. Some units do have wood burning fireplaces, which I found odd.

After I figured in the cost of utilities, it wasn't as great of a deal as it originally seemed and I decided the convenience factor just didn't make up for the lack of amenities and interior features. Judging from what I've heard and read online, I think Ivy is a good place for those who want to be very close to school and don't need a lot of bells and whistles or care that it's a little outdated.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Yeah mine has a fireplace .... I'm pretty stoked.

I couldn't help myself.

That sounds good. Apparently my apartment is towards the back of the complex, closer to the pool. I'm pretty content just paying the extra cost and living by myself, which is what really matters to me the most. As long as I can get to class easily and live comfortably I should be fine. I just didn't know if there were things I should watch out for because they want me to sign the lease in the next couple days. I've been living in New York with 2 other roommates and one bathroom and paying significantly more that the Ivy Gardens apartment... anything is probably better than my situation now.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Yea, I hear ya. I was really considering it until I read the apartment ratings, and though I know those tend to be negatively skewed, they were really, really bad. Coupled with my thoughts from the visit I decided it wasn't for me, but I can definitely understand the appeal.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Yikes, I see what you mean about the apartment ratings.

Someone here mentioned I could request a 9 month lease. Can anyone else confirm that?

Also, does anyone here really think Ivy is as bad as the horror stories say it is?

Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Of the dozens of people I know who live there, I've never heard any complaints.

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 pm

i heard a rumor that the lady who takes care of the jeffersonian (no idea what her name is) goes onto those sites and picks fights with people who post bad comments about her building and then she actually goes and posts negative comments about other buildings. i was a little creeped out when i heard this. just something to think about.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 pm

gladiator wrote: This isn't the one I was thinking of but The Korean House is in Charlottesville, no idea how good it is though. http://www.thekoreanhouse.com/
Que petty East Asian rivalry (from the website):

"Korean cuisine is based on flour meals and noodles, and is healthier than Chinese or Japanese food."

lol, maybe greasy fast-food Chinese but I don't know about it being healthier than Japanese food. The Japanese live a lot longer than the Koreans supposedly because of all the sashimi they eat. And the spiciness in Koreans' diets can cause troubles down the road. Minus 1 for thekoreanhouse.com

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:32 pm

RTF wrote:Yikes, I see what you mean about the apartment ratings.

Someone here mentioned I could request a 9 month lease. Can anyone else confirm that?

Also, does anyone here really think Ivy is as bad as the horror stories say it is?

Thanks
Are there cockroaches and other bugs there? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”