UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
showNprove

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by showNprove » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotburrito

New

Post by hotburrito » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm

thanks, jase!

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:40 pm

hotburrito wrote:thanks, jase!
of course. also you asked about Indian, which I just had on Tuesday.
Maharaja is my fav in seminole square on rt. 29
I've also heard that Milan is good though i've never been.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Is the Mexican food selection really so bad that Chipotle and Qdoba were mentioned? :cry:

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:45 pm

jsporter wrote:Is the Mexican food selection really so bad that Chipotle and Qdoba were mentioned? :cry:
haha thats why i added "if you are a fan"
i dont particularly like either.
i have a friend here from scottsdale who does like El Puerto though which I think is the best
(Though Baja Bean is fun)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abm256

New

Post by abm256 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:49 pm

showNprove wrote:Alright, so let's talk food. Where are the best places in Charlottesville for good:

1. Chinese
2. Mexican
3. Pizza
4. Burgers
5. Date spots
6. Coffee
7. Healthy meals

Feel free to add more slots.
So I just moved here over the summer, but my husband and I LOVE to eat out. We use this Web site for guidance a lot: http://www.charlottesville-dining.com/ Here are the few that I feel confident answering:

2. Mexican: We like Guadalajara because it's pretty cheap and pretty good. It's a chain with a lot of locations. The salsa and chips are very solid. Near the law school is La Puerta, which is also cheap and solid. For more upscale fare, try Continental Divide. (I am originally from Texas, and this stuff is OK, but it's not Texas.)

3. Pizza: Christian's Pizza on the downtown mall is really good. They have the "regular" flavors, but also some cool specialty stuff like avacado and feta (my favorite).

5. Date spots: We like The Boathouse a lot. It opened recently. The atmosphere there is awesome.

6. Coffee: Lots of great coffee shops all over town. My favorite is Greenberry's, which has a location at Barracks Road shopping center really close to the law school, and also a "window" location actually located in the law school (not the great atmosphere of the actual shop, but good coffee.)

8. sushi: Ten on the downtown mall is good, but pricey!

9 Indian: Milan Indian Cuisine is really good. Maharaja is OK, but not very consistent
Here are a few places to check out:

Carving Board Cafe -- GREAT place for lunch

Belmont Bar-B-Que has this thing called a slop bucket. I know that sounds disgusting, but it is AMAZING. It's like a shepherd's pie, but with layers of mashed potatoes, cole slaw, beans and shredded pork.

Beer Run -- It's not how it sounds. It's actually about 2/3 specialty beer shop (arranged by region) and 1/3 restaurant. It's the kind of place where you can get a delicious free-range roasted chicken with organic potatoes served by someone wearing Birkenstocks.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:18 pm

jsporter wrote:Is the Mexican food selection really so bad that Chipotle and Qdoba were mentioned? :cry:
Lower your expectations.

You're from Arizona and I'm from San Diego, so let's just face up to the fact that the Mexican in C-ville is going to be crap compared to what we're used to.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm

The answer to most of those categories is Golden Corral.

Except Mexican. Then Mono Loco is fun, and they have stickers in the bathroom for you to put on your car.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:47 pm

showNprove wrote:Alright, so let's talk food. Where are the best places in Charlottesville for good:

1. Chinese
2. Mexican
3. Pizza
4. Burgers
5. Date spots
6. Coffee
7. Healthy meals

Feel free to add more slots.
1. I've never had a favorite chinese place... all are ok, none are great, but Yuan Ho @ Maury Ave. and JPA has good cheap lunch specials, and saigon cafe @ McIntire Rd and Allied St. has dirt cheap lunch specials

2. Mexican - I have to concur that El Puerto @ Barracks Rd. & Emmet St. is probably the best...

3. Pizza - I concur that Christian's is the best for upscale toppings... however, I think the best pizza place (like a generic pepperoni) is Anna's Pizza @ Maury Rd. and JPA

4. Burgers - I agree that Boylan's heights is fairly good, but , you have to go to the White Spot (small diner on the corner) where you can get the "famous" gus burger (cheeseburger with a fried egg on top) - good and cheap.

5. Date spot - C&O (on the downtown mall) is the best place for a nice dinner in c-ville. Upscale, excellent food and a great wine list.

6. Coffee - most of the coffee shops I liked on the corner have closed... but, best coffee shop in charlottesville is the mudhouse on the downtown mall.

7. Healthy meals - I'll skip this one - I'd rather just cook if I'm going to be healthy.

8. Thai - I think the best Thai is Thai '99 - there's one on 29N and there is one on Fontaine... for Northern Virginia people, they just opened a Tara Thai at Barracks Road shopping center

9. Sandwich place - the best sandwiches in c-ville come from Take it Away on Elliewood Ave (off the Corner)... Belair market comes in a distant 2nd (upscale gas station on Ivy Road)... for drunken sandwiches - littlejohn's on the corner is open 24 hours and makes a tasty sub for when you're drunk

10. Best Margaritas - Continental Divide (in addition to being my favorite restaurant - I come up from Richmond to eat here every month or so) has the best margaritas in town. Mono Loco on the downtown mall also has very good margaritas.

11. Best chophouse - charlottesville doesn't have many steakhouses, but Aberdeen Barn off of 29 N is probably the best.

12. Best beer - South Street brewery makes the best beer in town...

13. Best Tapas - Mas off Belmont Ave has pretty good Tapas and they make a good Caipirinha.

14. Bodo's - local bagel chain - definitely the best bagels in the South.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Does anyone here live in Ivy Gardens, or the Jeffersonian, or know someone that does, mind answering a few specific questions I have about the units? I checked out the website but the pictures are pretty limited. If you don't mind answering some questions please PM me! Thanks in advance!

Also, I checked out LOTS of places today, so if you have any questions feel free to ask:
Jefferson Ridge
The Woodlands
Ivy
Arlington Townhouses
Jeffersonian (drove through, didn't go in)
Carriage Hill

and maybe a few more, it was a blur.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 am

limegreen wrote:Does anyone here live in Ivy Gardens, or the Jeffersonian, or know someone that does, mind answering a few specific questions I have about the units? I checked out the website but the pictures are pretty limited. If you don't mind answering some questions please PM me! Thanks in advance!

Also, I checked out LOTS of places today, so if you have any questions feel free to ask:
Jefferson Ridge
The Woodlands
Ivy
Arlington Townhouses
Jeffersonian (drove through, didn't go in)
Carriage Hill

and maybe a few more, it was a blur.
What are your initial impressions of Jeffersonian?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:38 am

My initial impression of the Jeffersonian was that it looked kind of like a motel. I may have missed something, but all I saw was two long buildings and a parking lot in between them. They are right on Arlington, the front building is not far at all from the sidewalk/road. The place looked pretty well maintained for its age, but it looked very old. After I got home I did some researching and it seems to get pretty good reviews on the web and is very cheap, so that's a plus. I think the apartments are pretty small after looking at the floor plans, and the balconies appeared to be very small as well when I drove through.

After looking at all of the options, touring a lot of them, and reading reviews, I've decided to go with amenities and give up the convenience factor, but it was a tough decision to make.

nicholasnotabene

New

Post by nicholasnotabene » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Hey all. I'm currently a 2L at UVA and looking for a roommate for next year, so I figured I'd post in this thread to see if anyone was interested. It's a 2 bedroom apartment in Ivy Gardens (http://www.ivygarden.com/home.htm); the lease starts in the middle of July and runs for a year. You'd be living with a pretty laid-back 23 y/o dude and would have the added bonus of inheriting the stash of course supplements I've accumulated but never got around to getting rid of. PM me or email nicholasnotabene@yahoo.com if you are interested and I can tell you more about myself, the apartment, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Just registered for ASD 3/13. Looking forward to meeting those of you attending that day!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:25 am

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Well I'm probably the first one but I'm going to be moving into the Woodlands in June. Can't wait!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Anyone been to Tea Bazaar? http://www.teabazaar.com/
They're menu looks good and I love tea, just wondering if they do their food right. mmmm They've got fallafel, and that's kind of hard to screw up.

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 pm

geoffree wrote:Anyone been to Tea Bazaar? http://www.teabazaar.com/
They're menu looks good and I love tea, just wondering if they do their food right. mmmm They've got fallafel, and that's kind of hard to screw up.
yeah its a fun place. the food isn't great but it's a cool atmosphere and they have hookahs.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:39 pm

geoffree wrote:Anyone been to Tea Bazaar? http://www.teabazaar.com/
It's a pretty chill place. Tea, boardgames, appetizers. I would never go there for hookah though. Honestly one of the worst hookahs I've ever had.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Hey, I know this has probably already been talked about before, but does anyone know the best way to get to C'ville from New York? I was thinking about just taking a train down the day before and renting a car to get to C'ville. I know there is a bus that goes from New York, but it doesn't go to UVa on that day.

Just post the link if you have any ideas about where that info is. Thanks.

Yeah, I posted this on the ASD thread as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:42 pm

So... is anyone else currently an engineer headed to UVA law school this August, or will I be alone in my nerdiness? :(

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Amtrak is probably your best option. Flying into Charlottesville is pretty expensive. http://www.studentadvantage.com has 15% off Amtrak for a small registration fee which usually pays for itself in 1 or 2 trips. Beware taking the train home out of Charlottesville in the afternoon, it's perpetually late.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 pm

CE2JD wrote:So... is anyone else currently an engineer headed to UVA law school this August, or will I be alone in my nerdiness? :(
i'd venture to say that we're all nerds to some degree. maybe just not in an engineering sort of way. i'm sure another engineer will pop up somewhere.

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm

geoffree wrote:
CE2JD wrote:So... is anyone else currently an engineer headed to UVA law school this August, or will I be alone in my nerdiness? :(
i'd venture to say that we're all nerds to some degree. maybe just not in an engineering sort of way. i'm sure another engineer will pop up somewhere.
Probably true, but I heard that UVA is the least nerdy school in the T-14.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”