UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
RVP11

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by RVP11 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:09 am

CE2JD wrote:I loved Super NES.

Also, one of my fav. games of all time was the original American release of Final Fantasy on the original Nintendo gaming system.

Classic game...
One of the best ever. My friend and I used to race each other to see who could finish the game fastest. I can still remember the box art so clearly.

ILikeIke

New

Post by ILikeIke » Sat May 02, 2009 8:13 am

green wrote:Crap, I'm so behind on games...the last game system that I owned was Nintendo 64.
N64: Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario 64, and Mariokart 64 consumed many, many hours of my adolescence. That was a great system.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Sat May 02, 2009 10:26 am

Nintendo 64!! THAT was where I attempted but failed to understand Zelda. 007 was my favorite and I loved the controllers that vibrated - funny how that was cutting edge technology at the time.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:So I bought a wii off ebay yesterday after rationalizing that I will need study breaks every once and a while next year (meaning daily...). I got the wii fit board w/games as well and am planning on getting Mario Kart. Anyone have any game recommendations?
Super Paper Mario, Okami, Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii. I've heard No More Heroes is great, and I've also been meaning to pick up Bully: Scholarship Edition. If you like Metroid, it sounds like the version for Wii is good. I never liked Metroid, so I can't say. I got my brother the new Rune Factory for his birthday, and from what I saw, it seems pretty good. Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is pretty fun, too, but it's not worth it unless it's cheap. I think I saw that someone suggested Mario Party to you - don't get MP 8, because it doesn't really have any good boards. Go for one of the Gamecube ones (although not Mario Party 4 - that one's awful. Mario Party 3 for N64 is still the best.) In fact, there are a ton of awesome GC games to get if you don't have any of those.
FYI, though, I've probably played my Wii a cumulative 20 hours this whole year, and I'm a huge gamer. I'm just not good at setting time limits for myself, so I choose not to pick up the controller rather than play for 5 hours and not get any work done. If you're gonna be like that, you're probably good with just a game (I've been playing Okami the whole year. for me, that is blasphemy.)
My finals study breaks have mostly been playing Mario Kart 64 with my friend. :D

jase1348

New

Post by jase1348 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 pm

green wrote:
thesealocust wrote:For Wii, I recommend Mario Kart. A ton of fun for obsessive people, and I've never seen a game have such a positive reception from people who generally don't play video games.

For books, I really enjoyed law school confidential and I've heard enough good things about getting to maybe that I might give it a shot.
Crap, I'm so behind on games...the last game system that I owned was Nintendo 64.

I have a Super NES if anyone is interested.

I'm in the same boat as you with being behind and last buying the N64. Actually my favorite system ever (I have still have a working one at home i think) is Sega Genesis. Man, I wish I still played video games sometimes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

green

Bronze

Post by green » Sat May 02, 2009 1:01 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Nintendo 64!! THAT was where I attempted but failed to understand Zelda. 007 was my favorite and I loved the controllers that vibrated - funny how that was cutting edge technology at the time.
I spent a lot of time on 007, Star Fox, and, interestingly, Mario Golf.

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Sat May 02, 2009 1:05 pm

green wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:Nintendo 64!! THAT was where I attempted but failed to understand Zelda. 007 was my favorite and I loved the controllers that vibrated - funny how that was cutting edge technology at the time.
Never played Mario Golf, but I loved Mario Tennis on the 64.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat May 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Also, one of my fav. games of all time was the original American release of Final Fantasy on the original Nintendo gaming system.

Classic game...
You mean the very first one? I have it (the Playstation re-release), but I could never get into it. It seemed too basic.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sat May 02, 2009 2:08 pm

green wrote:

007 was easily about half of my middle school career

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat May 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:54 pm

showNprove wrote:I beasted people in Goldeneye. That game was amazing.

Mario Kart 64 was the best one of the series. I loved the short cut on Wario's track.
You gonna bring a 64 and games?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 pm

shadowfish wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:So I bought a wii off ebay yesterday after rationalizing that I will need study breaks every once and a while next year (meaning daily...). I got the wii fit board w/games as well and am planning on getting Mario Kart. Anyone have any game recommendations?
Super Paper Mario, Okami, Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii. I've heard No More Heroes is great, and I've also been meaning to pick up Bully: Scholarship Edition. If you like Metroid, it sounds like the version for Wii is good. I never liked Metroid, so I can't say. I got my brother the new Rune Factory for his birthday, and from what I saw, it seems pretty good. Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is pretty fun, too, but it's not worth it unless it's cheap. I think I saw that someone suggested Mario Party to you - don't get MP 8, because it doesn't really have any good boards. Go for one of the Gamecube ones (although not Mario Party 4 - that one's awful. Mario Party 3 for N64 is still the best.) In fact, there are a ton of awesome GC games to get if you don't have any of those.
FYI, though, I've probably played my Wii a cumulative 20 hours this whole year, and I'm a huge gamer. I'm just not good at setting time limits for myself, so I choose not to pick up the controller rather than play for 5 hours and not get any work done. If you're gonna be like that, you're probably good with just a game (I've been playing Okami the whole year. for me, that is blasphemy.)
My finals study breaks have mostly been playing Mario Kart 64 with my friend. :D
Thanks for a paycheck's worth of suggestions!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat May 02, 2009 3:06 pm

monochrome

New

Post by monochrome » Sat May 02, 2009 3:15 pm

sorry to divert from the games convo, but i'm pretty bummed to hear that ivy is out of 1BRs. i actually called them earlier in the week and was told they had seven units left, so i should have probably locked one down then.

anyways, my question is: i know this has been endlessly discussed before, but i've been a bit behind on my thread reading ever since study week / finals started here. what other walking-distance complexes with 1BR apartments are people looking at? any recommendations? i want to live by myself, but probably in a complex with some other law students.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat May 02, 2009 3:55 pm

monochrome wrote:sorry to divert from the games convo, but i'm pretty bummed to hear that ivy is out of 1BRs. i actually called them earlier in the week and was told they had seven units left, so i should have probably locked one down then.

anyways, my question is: i know this has been endlessly discussed before, but i've been a bit behind on my thread reading ever since study week / finals started here. what other walking-distance complexes with 1BR apartments are people looking at? any recommendations? i want to live by myself, but probably in a complex with some other law students.
I booked a 1BR condo at Arlington Court. Since they're condos and privately owned, so finding one is spotty since each unit may be owned by a different person. I found the one I'm renting on Craigslist (http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/apa).

Aside from that, there are also apartment complexes on Arlington Blvd, and those are all walking distance from both the Law School and the Barracks Rd shopping center.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Haha for once, getting caught up on the 3+ pages I was behind on here wasn't too tough. Since my knowledge of video games and systems consists solely of the fact that I bought my fiance an Xbox 360 and one game for Valentine's Day, I was able to skim through pretty quickly...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat May 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Classic game...
You mean the very first one? I have it (the Playstation re-release), but I could never get into it. It seemed too basic.
Well it didn't seem basic to me when I was 9. :evil:

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 pm

danielgude

New

Post by danielgude » Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 pm

showNprove wrote:So will I be playing Sratch: The Ultimate DJ (a.k.a, Guitar Hero for hip-hop) by myself when it comes out? :(
OOOOh. Pick me! Pick me! I wanna play.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 pm

showNprove wrote:So will I be playing Sratch: The Ultimate DJ (a.k.a, Guitar Hero for hip-hop) by myself when it comes out? :(

what's the peripheral for that?

Edit: Google shows some insane scratch pad controller, awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 pm

So, it appears that the UVA Class of 2011 thread was at page 115 one year ago. We're only posting slightly less than they were. It's interesting that both class threads have been by far the largest. Is this because more TLSers go to UVA than anywhere else, or because people who are going to UVA are so pumped about attending that they are constantly posting about it before school starts?

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Sat May 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Cavalier wrote:So, it appears that the UVA Class of 2011 thread was at page 115 one year ago. We're only posting slightly less than they were. It's interesting that both class threads have been by far the largest. Is this because more TLSers go to UVA than anywhere else, or because people who are going to UVA are so pumped about attending that they are constantly posting about it before school starts?

woah, we were ahead of the 2011 thread a couple weeks ago. we've fallen behind.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat May 02, 2009 10:09 pm

iceberger wrote:
Cavalier wrote:So, it appears that the UVA Class of 2011 thread was at page 115 one year ago. We're only posting slightly less than they were. It's interesting that both class threads have been by far the largest. Is this because more TLSers go to UVA than anywhere else, or because people who are going to UVA are so pumped about attending that they are constantly posting about it before school starts?

woah, we were ahead of the 2011 thread a couple weeks ago. we've fallen behind.
Well, if we fall behind 3 pages every 2 weeks, their thread will dwarf ours soon enough. We better come up with a solution to avert this crisis.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Cavalier wrote:Is this because more TLSers go to UVA than anywhere else, or because people who are going to UVA are so pumped about attending that they are constantly posting about it before school starts?
Both!

I think last year there were something like 70 TLSers going to UVA, or at least ~70 who bothered to have their screen name included in the "Class of 2011" list. Next most was Michigan with ~60, IIRC.

This year's TLS Harvard and Berkeley classes seems a lot bigger.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”