UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
geoffree

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by geoffree » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Quote of the week from the UVA Law Page:

"This is going to be the most competitive year to get in on record. I wouldn’t let myself in at this point.” More
— Jason Wu Trujillo '01, Senior Assistant Dean for Admissions

Does this point to chances of over-enrollment being high?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:04 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 pm

FYI, because I'm a good samaritan:

Anyone thinking of getting a house, check out hkhproperties.com. I got a flyer today and he has 3 fairly nice houses still available. You're saying, what do you care? Well, Harold (The first H in HKH) is my landlord, and he's the nicest dude in the world. So, I thought I'd throw some of you thinking of getting a house a bone by pointing you towards a nice house and the best landlord around. Plus, there aren't many good houses left, if any, since we usually grab them up by now.

So, check out his site if you're interested.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 am

I posted this on another thread, and thought I'd share it with you guys since I saw some of you talking about "prep" for school:

I didn't do shit, but in hindsight I'd have read my torts professor's book if I had known about it.

Basically, if I knew I was going to UVA, I'd get Ken Abraham's Form & Function of Tort Law. It's 150 pages, it's mildly interesting, it's his bible, there's a 30% chance you'll have him, and even if you don't it won't kill you because it's 150 pages. So, I guess my suggestion, based on what i didn't do, is if you know where you're going and there's a professor you might have who wrote a 150 page book, it might not kill you to read it. E&E's, probably a waste of time. You're just as good to wikipedia the cases at that point.

I mean, you could do a lot worse than throwing it in your bathroom and reading it a few pages at a time over the summer since he will be lecturing 3 sections pretty much verbatim from it.

philosophy

New

Post by philosophy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm

my financial aid info still hasn't appeared on SIS. is this the case for anyone else?

also, when i click on 'view your financial aid application,' it brings me to an unfilled out version of the application. is this normal?

thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm

philosophy wrote:my financial aid info still hasn't appeared on SIS. is this the case for anyone else?

also, when i click on 'view your financial aid application,' it brings me to an unfilled out version of the application. is this normal?

thanks!
Mine is still not up yet either, I don't know about the other part. Maybe they are doing it in alphabetical order or something and that is why some are up and some are not.

philosophy

New

Post by philosophy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:33 pm

limegreen wrote:
philosophy wrote:my financial aid info still hasn't appeared on SIS. is this the case for anyone else?

thanks!
Mine is still not up yet either, I don't know about the other part. Maybe they are doing it in alphabetical order or something and that is why some are up and some are not.
that makes me feel slightly better. though, my last name begins with 'B,' so i'm skeptical of the alphabetical theory. maybe it just means we're getting loads of free money? my fingers are crossed for us.

MaebyTonight

New

Post by MaebyTonight » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:40 pm

philosophy wrote:
limegreen wrote:

thanks!
that makes me feel slightly better. though, my last name begins with 'B,' so i'm skeptical of the alphabetical theory. maybe it just means we're getting loads of free money? my fingers are crossed for us.
Still waiting on mine too. I'm hoping your theory is right :) Would make the wait worth it...

TaoTao

New

Post by TaoTao » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:38 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
TaoTao wrote:Limegreen, thanks for the names of those places. I was wondering if any of you have had a chance to check out Jefferson Ridge and/or Carriage Hill. These places look great online. How far away from campus are they?

Thanks! :D
TaoTao, I actually just applied at Carriage Hill last week. Limegreen had told me she had a really bad experience at Carriage Hill which sucks because everyone I've talked with was really nice and I was actually approved on my own (without my dad co-signing - which is a first). I also think the difference between Carriage Hill and Jefferson Ridge is more noticeable if you are looking at 1 bedrooms (Limegreen is looking at 2 bedrooms if I'm not mistaken).

Carriage Hill has a linen closet in the bathroom, a bigger bedroom closet than Jeff Ridge, full pantry closet thing, and full-size washer and dryer that are in their own utility closets (with shelving above each). Jefferson Ridge has the washer/dryer stacked in the bathroom so there isn't much storage in there and a smaller closet in the bedroom. Price wise, I found them very comparable. I chose Carriage hill because for $1025 I can live in a one bedroom upper - it's $1095 at Jefferson Ridge for a lower (but includes cable and internet). Most everything I watch on tv can be found online (whether legally or illegally :D ) so I figure I can spend very little on internet and cable and pay roughly the same price. I think to live in an upper at Jeff Ridge it's $1150....that might be wrong though.

Drive wise, they are similar in time. There are definitely more lights from Carriage Hill but I'm not one of those people who hates driving or traffic so it isn't really an issue. You do drive alongside a shopping center to enter Carriage Hill - some find this unappealing, I love it because there's a grocery store and Quiznos right there! Hope that might help. It does suck that Limegreen had such a crappy experience at Carriage Hill - hopefully it's not reflective of the complex as whole!

crazyinalabama, thank you for this very detailed response. I actually like both Jeff Ridge and Carriage hill, so I'll probably arrange another visit to C-ville this summer to compare the two. I just wish I would have done this sometime during my ASD visit :|

If anyone else knows of any other really nice complexes within a 10-15 driving distance please let me know. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jessleem

New

Post by Jessleem » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:33 pm

YCrevolution wrote: Financial aid:
For those of you who can't see your award yet, it looks like COA UVA next year is going to be $63,000; there isn't a breakdown for what part of that's tuition and what part of that's living.
Where did you find this?? I was already (almost) freaked out by an April fools joke earlier...so now I'm checking sources!

For those of you who have received your info on SIS, had you already turned in your deposit? I'm wondering if there is any priority in that sense.

Jessleem

New

Post by Jessleem » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:37 pm

Also, on housing---does anyone else know of any property management companies that are a good source for rental homes or duplex's? (aside from the HHK people) I've lived in a neighborhood for a long time and I'm really not into the idea of living in a packed apartment community....is that my only choice?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Jessleem

New

Post by Jessleem » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks, are you in-state or out?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm

If COA is now $63k/year, tuition has gone up almost exactly $3k. This is assuming no change in any other parts of the calculation.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:43 pm

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:48 pm

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:22 pm

So, I login to the SIS site and I have the link to view my financial aid award, as well as the others. When I open the link, it says I have no aid for the 2009-2010 year. When I open the other links, it tells me the financial aid award is not available.

Does this mean they haven't loaded my stuff onto SIS yet? I ask because I know I have some aid, as I got a scholarship.

I haven't paid my deposit yet, does that change anything?

Just confused.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm

a.williams wrote:So, I login to the SIS site and I have the link to view my financial aid award, as well as the others. When I open the link, it says I have no aid for the 2009-2010 year. When I open the other links, it tells me the financial aid award is not available.

Does this mean they haven't loaded my stuff onto SIS yet? I ask because I know I have some aid, as I got a scholarship.

Just confused.
I'm in the same situation as you, except that I paid my deposit a week ago. This leads me to believe that they simply haven't gotten to everyone yet.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Fup wrote:
a.williams wrote:So, I login to the SIS site and I have the link to view my financial aid award, as well as the others. When I open the link, it says I have no aid for the 2009-2010 year. When I open the other links, it tells me the financial aid award is not available.

Just confused.
I'm in the same situation as you, except that I paid my deposit a week ago. This leads me to believe that they simply haven't gotten to everyone yet.
Cool. Makes me feel a little bit better.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 pm

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey everyone, I got my financial aid package last night... Like others here, I didn't get any scholarship money, so it's all loans for me... that said, in-state COA = $58,000

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Also, I noticed that today if you go to http://www.virginia.edu and do the people search - you'll come up as a law student.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:41 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Hey everyone, I got my financial aid package last night... Like others here, I didn't get any scholarship money, so it's all loans for me... that said, in-state COA = $58,000
Where did you get the loan? Direct from the school? How did you find out, SIS or snail mail?

ndm2007

New

Post by ndm2007 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Do schools ever tell some accepted people they can't come if the class is really over-enrolled..?
That would really suck.
In other news, "Hoos" excited for the Deadliest Catch season premier!? I love that show. Watching a re-run right now.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 pm

geoffree wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Hey everyone, I got my financial aid package last night... Like others here, I didn't get any scholarship money, so it's all loans for me... that said, in-state COA = $58,000
Where did you get the loan? Direct from the school? How did you find out, SIS or snail mail?
SIS just gives you the break down of loan types that you are authorized for... we'll get a list of lenders later on...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”