UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by thesealocust » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Fup wrote:
thesealocust wrote:There are funnier bits of libel out there (no constitution is the one I show people when they ask what it is).

ATL strikes me as just barely removed from xoxo/JDU. I'm sure the bloggers there are fine people, and the information is very useful, but the comments? my god...
lol, I was reading those comments. I had no idea the comments were so awful on that site. I wonder if its just a bunch of Cooley rejects posting there - I can't imagine any real CLS or NYU students taking the time to go online to trash UVA, it just seems like such a silly thing to do.
TLS & LSD maintain decorum fairly admirably, but the populations of ATL comments (hardly just that article), xoxo/autoadmit, and JDunderground make me think that a large portion of the people going into this profession, are, erm, not the kind I'd generally go out of my way to associate with? (how's that for a euphemism).

You should really try to meet a partner or senior associate at a big law firm and New York. Then you'll understand that people like that are everywhere in the legal profession. I can' tell you how many times I get asked to do ridiculous stuff for these guys and how obnoxious they are. I had one of the named partners of my firm (Harvard Grad) learn that I got into UVa and say "UVa, that's pretty rural right? Too bad."

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 pm

RTF wrote:You should really try to meet a partner or senior associate at a big law firm and New York. Then you'll understand that people like that are everywhere in the legal profession. I can' tell you how many times I get asked to do ridiculous stuff for these guys and how obnoxious they are. I had one of the named partners of my firm (Harvard Grad) learn that I got into UVa and say "UVa, that's pretty rural right? Too bad."
Did you respond with "so.....Harvard? That's ranked lower than Yale, right? Too bad..."?

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:37 pm

RTF wrote:
You should really try to meet a partner or senior associate at a big law firm and New York. Then you'll understand that people like that are everywhere in the legal profession. I can' tell you how many times I get asked to do ridiculous stuff for these guys and how obnoxious they are. I had one of the named partners of my firm (Harvard Grad) learn that I got into UVa and say "UVa, that's pretty rural right? Too bad."
wow, that's pretty bad

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:39 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
RTF wrote:You should really try to meet a partner or senior associate at a big law firm and New York. Then you'll understand that people like that are everywhere in the legal profession. I can' tell you how many times I get asked to do ridiculous stuff for these guys and how obnoxious they are. I had one of the named partners of my firm (Harvard Grad) learn that I got into UVa and say "UVa, that's pretty rural right? Too bad."
Did you respond with "so.....Harvard? That's ranked lower than Yale, right? Too bad..."?
I could have, and then he could have made my life hell for the following 10 months.

The point is, working in big law, I've seen some pretty giant dbags. So the comments on ATL come as no surprise. They're are just too many entitled attorneys out there.

Keep that in mind as all you go into your careers, don't be an asshole like the other guy.
Last edited by RTF on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davosdank

New

Post by davosdank » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:40 pm

iceberger wrote:
RTF wrote:
wow, that's pretty bad
i'm sure this was in jest

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 pm

davosdank wrote:
iceberger wrote:
RTF wrote:
wow, that's pretty bad
No, I have uncles who are partners at biglaw firms who say things like this. And they are DEFINITELY NOT in jest.

davosdank

New

Post by davosdank » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:54 pm

CE2JD wrote:
davosdank wrote:
iceberger wrote:
RTF wrote:
wow, that's pretty bad
No, I have uncles who are partners at biglaw firms who say things like this. And they are DEFINITELY NOT in jest.

...so would they say the same thing about nyu/penn/uchi? like as in something derogatory, i was under the impression even harvard grads thought uva is quality

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:04 pm

davosdank wrote:...so would they say the same thing about nyu/penn/uchi? like as in something derogatory, i was under the impression even harvard grads thought uva is quality
My uncles didn't go to Harvard.

And I don't think that comment about UVA being rural necessarily implies that UVA is "poor quality."

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 pm

CE2JD wrote:
davosdank wrote:...so would they say the same thing about nyu/penn/uchi? like as in something derogatory, i was under the impression even harvard grads thought uva is quality
My uncles didn't go to Harvard.

And I don't think that comment about UVA being rural necessarily implies that UVA is "poor quality."
Fair enough. But, a lot of the things that come out these attorneys mouths often implies something insulting. Trust me, I have plenty more stories of how awful some attorneys can be.

.... yet I am becoming one.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:09 pm

You can add me to the UVA Class of 2012. I just made my deposit online. See yalls in the fall.

davosdank

New

Post by davosdank » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:You can add me to the UVA Class of 2012. I just made my deposit online. See yalls in the fall.

congratulations
Last edited by davosdank on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:You can add me to the UVA Class of 2012. I just made my deposit online. See yalls in the fall.
Awesome, see you there!

kritiosboy

New

Post by kritiosboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTF

Bronze

Post by RTF » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:52 pm

kritiosboy wrote:
RTF wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2009/04/looking_ ... inia_l.php

From this year's UVa Libel show. Thoughts?
that was amazing.
Not sure if it was the best thing I've seen. The one with the softball coach was one of my favorites.

All I am saying is that when our class gets up to bat, we better be ready.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:53 pm

I mentioned before that I was almost totally decided on UVA, well, I'm in for sure now (even if those waiting applications end up being waitlists instead of rejects!). I'm excited to get to know you guys this fall (well, and at TLS, of course)! And if there are any runners who need a running buddy I'll be looking for some new training partners in C-Ville.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 pm

laurathenerd wrote:I mentioned before that I was almost totally decided on UVA, well, I'm in for sure now (even if those waiting applications end up being waitlists instead of rejects!). I'm excited to get to know you guys this fall (well, and at TLS, of course)! And if there are any runners who need a running buddy I'll be looking for some new training partners in C-Ville.
<----runner (sort of)

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:12 pm

are financial aid awards viewable online yet for anyone? I have the letter with the offer, but it doesn't show anything online.

davosdank

New

Post by davosdank » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:19 pm

i want my uva email addy...

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 pm

davosdank wrote:i want my uva email addy...
Me too. That way I can join the UVA Facebook network.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 pm

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Fup wrote:
+1
+1 to that +1

Do we not get them til orientation? And what's the deal with orientation...is it really 3 days long? :shock:

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 pm

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:05 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Fup wrote:
+1
This is going to sound stalkerish, but somewhere in the C/O 2011 thread they were talking about how they figured out how to set up their email themselves. I think it was later than April, but I do recall reading about it when I was looking through the thread for housing info a while back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”