UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
showNprove

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by showNprove » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:03 pm

ever?

YourOwnWorld

New

Post by YourOwnWorld » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:16 pm

geoffree wrote:
limegreen wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:
limegreen wrote:I'll weigh in on what I've seen so far, but keep in mind I am from a pretty small county town and went to college at William and Mary, neither of which have much crime at all, so I am probably ultra sensitive.

The only areas that I have felt any kind of concern for my safety were the Downtown Mall and Fashion Square Mall. I have been to the Downtown Mall probably 10 times and I haven't felt really threatened or anything, just got kind of a sketch vibe a few times at night.

Fashion Square Mall seems really shady. I would probably not go there at night by myself. After visiting it a second time I decided not to pursue the jobs I had applied for there because I found out I'd have to be walking through the parking lot by myself late at night. Instead I'm going to try to get a retail gig in Barracks Shopping Center which seems very safe. I don't know what it is about it but I just felt extremely uncomfortable there and it is just a very weird mall.

Kmart at night was a little sketchy too, long story as to why I was there, but I don't anticipate going back.
You're a little sensitive. Fashion Square is just a mall. Like many malls, rich people don't shop there anymore. The downtown mall is practically a yuppie haven. There's a housing project across the railroad tracks down there, but even that area is starting to become pretty gentrified.
Agreed, I am from a small town where most people don't even lock their doors, so it is a change for me.

That being said, my boyfriend who is not as sheltered agreed he wouldn't want me leaving the Fashion Square Mall at night by myself. I didn't ever feel really scared at the Dowtown Mall either, but I think that late at night it would probably freak me out a little bit.

I'm just glad I stayed in Virginia where the 2nd amendment is still alive and well.
Does this mean you pack heat when you're out and about? Should I be worried? :wink:
Oh, and don't forget to check out the bowling alley when you get a chance :)
Why would you be worried about a woman who can defend herself? :wink:

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm going to resist the urge to go on my soapbox about handguns and instead say hello again because I FINALLY caught up on our thread!

Also, I did decide to buy the UVA mac bundle because they lowered the price $200, you get a free printer (which I need), and I can get the 120GB ipod for free because my 30GB is completely full and I don't like having to hand select what music I do and do not plan on listening to for the week. Plus, I won't have to waste two hours roundtrip driving to Richmond if I have any problems.

Also, I know others have said they haven't had any problems with their macs over the years. However, there are duds out there and I have had to replace the hard drive (under warranty thank god) three times (4 hard drives total) in the past 2 1/2 years. Each time they said it wasn't my fault but another malfunction of some sort. I will still never buy another pc because of the convenience I feel my mac gives me on a daily basis. However, there are mac duds out there. Thus, I'm not taking my chances again - especially with my bad luck with my last one! Alright, spiel finished.

I just got back from camping for 3 days and hiking got me really excited for Virginia next month! The move is less than a month away for me. Anyone else up for a TLS get together at the end of July? I suppose it is premature but each time I start reading our thread and thinking more about moving I get overexcited.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:Wow... they did lower the macbook bundle price by $200. Awesome! I have no time now to check its contents, but especially if it qualifies for the free ipod, it becomes a decent-to-good deal. Maybe they were reading this thread ;)
That crossed my mind as well hah.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 pm

geoffree wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Wow... they did lower the macbook bundle price by $200. Awesome! I have no time now to check its contents, but especially if it qualifies for the free ipod, it becomes a decent-to-good deal. Maybe they were reading this thread ;)
That crossed my mind as well hah.
We possess powers we can't even comprehend yet.
Last edited by napolnic on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 pm

I hate to burst bubbles, but apparently we have apple to thank according to Scott with UVA IT:

Last week Apple changed their laptop product line and the model chosen for the Law School is no longer available. The replacement model is less expensive ($1499) and has longer battery life. The new Law School model also qualifies for a free Canon printer (while supplies last) and an iPod rebate. Here is a link to the full details:

http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/shop ... C021F94AF0

Since I had opted for the bundle two days prior to this email from IT, I am thrilled that my slight buyer's remorse is now transformed!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:23 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:I hate to burst bubbles, but apparently we have apple to thank according to Scott with UVA IT:

Last week Apple changed their laptop product line and the model chosen for the Law School is no longer available. The replacement model is less expensive ($1499) and has longer battery life. The new Law School model also qualifies for a free Canon printer (while supplies last) and an iPod rebate. Here is a link to the full details:

Since I had opted for the bundle two days prior to this email from IT, I am thrilled that my slight buyer's remorse is now transformed!
I got two PC laptops for about 2/3 the price of the new mac bundle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:49 pm

No, I'm not packing heat, but I like to know that I could if I wanted to. I come from a family of law enforcement so it goes with the territory.

I meant to mention this already, but I have to once again state that Comcast is not my friend. All weekend our internet just kept going out, it would work for hours and then be off for hours. Resetting the router did nothing and when I finally called it just said there were outages in the area. DUH.

I will try and check out the bowling alley or ice rink soon!

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Just a follow-up on the Dell deals this week that I posted about yesterday. If anybody is planning to buy the dell bundle from the school, I would seriously suggest they look at the deal for today as an alternate option. A Studio 15 laptop, for $220 off. Their website says the deal ends 6/18 at 6 am CST, but another portion of their site says it ends on Friday. So, I'm not sure what's true.

Anyway, I'm going to go see this model at Best Buy to make sure it's the one I want, but I'll probably get it. I was able to customize everything, including warranties, to equal or better than the UVA bundle (except the processor is not quite as good, though it's better than the processor on the Apple bundle). I'll be saving over $500 from the bundle (with the $10 Office offered by UVA)!

Also, there has been some conversation about Windows 7. I chatted with one of the sales reps and they said that I will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it comes out in October. This isn't advertised anywhere, so if you do end up buying from Dell, I would get it in writing from a sales rep. My brother has tested the new Windows and he says that "it is a lot more stable and faster than Vista and a cleaner interface than both Vista and XP, so it's definitely worth upgrading."

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 pm

iamjikem wrote:Just a follow-up on the Dell deals this week that I posted about yesterday. If anybody is planning to buy the dell bundle from the school, I would seriously suggest they look at the deal for today as an alternate option. A Studio 15 laptop, for $220 off. Their website says the deal ends 6/18 at 6 am CST, but another portion of their site says it ends on Friday. So, I'm not sure what's true.

Anyway, I'm going to go see this model at Best Buy to make sure it's the one I want, but I'll probably get it. I was able to customize everything, including warranties, to equal or better than the UVA bundle (except the processor is not quite as good, though it's better than the processor on the Apple bundle). I'll be saving over $500 from the bundle (with the $10 Office offered by UVA)!

Also, there has been some conversation about Windows 7. I chatted with one of the sales reps and they said that I will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it comes out in October. This isn't advertised anywhere, so if you do end up buying from Dell, I would get it in writing from a sales rep. My brother has tested the new Windows and he says that "it is a lot more stable and faster than Vista and a cleaner interface than both Vista and XP, so it's definitely worth upgrading."
If anyone has psychic powers, I'd like to know if the bookstore will be carrying Windows 7 at an awesomely discounted price similar to $10 Vista.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:I hate to burst bubbles, but apparently we have apple to thank according to Scott with UVA IT:

Awesome, I knew about the free ipod but didn't catch the free printer. Although, I'm seriously considering dropping a few hundred on a decent laser printer. I've heard it can come in handy having a good 10,000 page toner cartridge or so to rely on at the house. Anybody else thinking about doing this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:23 pm

iceberger wrote:

Awesome, I knew about the free ipod but didn't catch the free printer. Although, I'm seriously considering dropping a few hundred on a decent laser printer. I've heard it can come in handy having a good 10,000 page toner cartridge or so to rely on at the house. Anybody else thinking about doing this?
Yup! The reason I don't own a printer right now is because I used my boyfriends laser for all print-outs. It came in especially handy when I had a history class whose text book was online! The best part is that you can buy refurbished toner from toptoner.com for $30 or so. In fact, I might give the printer to my mom and see if she'll help contribute to my funds for a laser printer :D

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Laser printers are awesome. Do we get free printing at school or how does that work? At my old school we paid but it wasn't too bad.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:49 pm

crazyinalabama wrote: I just got back from camping for 3 days and hiking got me really excited for Virginia next month!
Yay for camping and all things foresty. Were you camping in Alabama? Out here in Virginia it's possible to score morels, the tastiest mushrooms I've ever had.

I'll be road tripping starting sometime next week... trying to keep it as spontaneous as possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm

showNprove wrote:
Cavalier wrote:ever?
OK, the giant letters may have been a tad bit excessive.
I say that the size was sufficient.

asdfsd222

New

Post by asdfsd222 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Huh? I thought the downtown mall was where all the restaurants and bars are... you feel unsafe there?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:34 pm

geoffree wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote: I just got back from camping for 3 days and hiking got me really excited for Virginia next month!
Yay for camping and all things foresty. Were you camping in Alabama? Out here in Virginia it's possible to score morels, the tastiest mushrooms I've ever had.

I'll be road tripping starting sometime next week... trying to keep it as spontaneous as possible.
Mmmm mushrooms are tasty. I was in Wisconsin - much too hot and humid for camping in Alabama this time of year for a wimp like me. I'm excited for Virginia because I will actually be hiking to destinations (i.e. waterfalls, overlooks, etc). This past weekend was just woods and more woods.

Although I know some people are indoorsy, I'm not a hardcore backpacker or anything. We need to plan some low-key, low-pressure outings for August if it's not too hot!

Edit: I finally catch up and now I feel like I'm really hogging this page with my enthusiasm...I apologize but at least I'm helping contribute to us reaching pg. 170 soon!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:40 pm

asdfsd222 wrote:Huh? I thought the downtown mall was where all the restaurants and bars are... you feel unsafe there?
No, not really... but actually walking in the area around it from parking and stuff I don't know if I would want to walk around late at night by myself, but like I said, I'm paranoid.

I am one of the mentioned "indoorsy" types and I agree we need to plan something fun for when some people will finally be in Cville! I am ready whenever you guys are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:42 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
geoffree wrote:

Mmmm mushrooms are tasty. I was in Wisconsin - much too hot and humid for camping in Alabama this time of year for a wimp like me. I'm excited for Virginia because I will actually be hiking to destinations (i.e. waterfalls, overlooks, etc). This past weekend was just woods and more woods.

Although I know some people are indoorsy, I'm not a hardcore backpacker or anything. We need to plan some low-key, low-pressure outings for August if it's not too hot!

Edit: I finally catch up and now I feel like I'm really hogging this page with my enthusiasm...I apologize but at least I'm helping contribute to us reaching pg. 170 soon!

I share your outdoor enthusiasm. I went camping a bit ago in a neighboring state to Alabama, and I agree, it's waaay to hot. I have a canoe trip coming up in Tennessee, I only hope the heat index drops below 100.

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 pm

it'll be interesting to find out everyone's true identity at some point.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 pm

limegreen wrote:
asdfsd222 wrote:Huh? I thought the downtown mall was where all the restaurants and bars are... you feel unsafe there?
No, not really... but actually walking in the area around it from parking and stuff I don't know if I would want to walk around late at night by myself, but like I said, I'm paranoid.

I am one of the mentioned "indoorsy" types and I agree we need to plan something fun for when some people will finally be in Cville! I am ready whenever you guys are.

Beer/Cookout at the woodlands pool? wait, not exactly indoors i guess.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:50 pm

iceberger wrote:
limegreen wrote:

Beer/Cookout at the woodlands pool? wait, not exactly indoors i guess.
Cooking out at the pool is about as outdoorsy as I get, so I can handle that.

The closest I ever got to real camping was being forced to go to some girl scout thing and then calling my mom begging her to pick me up because there were spiders everywhere. I am still scarred.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”