Northwestern 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby dresden doll » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am

I'm happily joining this thread, too, since NU seems the likeliest of choices right now. I already live in Chicago suburbs so I well know how awesome the city is. :D

Anyhow, seems there's an FB group for NU class of 2012? If so, I'd like to join it.

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby 69sofine » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:26 am

RobbyCano wrote:
69sofine wrote:Looks like I'm headed to NU this fall! Where the heck does everyone live? Is there anything to do in Streeterville?


AWESOME. I was rooting for you. Congrats!

Not a ton to do in Streeterville, but Michigan Avenue and the Viagra Triangle are right nearby. Streeterville is very residential--incredibly cool neighborhood, but not a huge nightlife scene actually in the neighborhood.


Pretty much condos, lofts, and high rises right? Is it feasible to live in Lincoln Park?

RobbyCano
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:51 am

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby RobbyCano » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:38 am

You'll want to ask current students, but people definitely live in LP. I'd say probably 15-25 mins by public transportation, maybe slightly more during rush hour.

lawguy123
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby lawguy123 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:44 am

Has anyone (aside from the current undergrads who were offered deferred full scholarships) heard about scholarships yet? According to the admitted students blog they are going to start making decisions this week.

ALilMusicFactry
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby ALilMusicFactry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Pretty much condos, lofts, and high rises right? Is it feasible to live in Lincoln Park?


Lots of people live in LP. Most of the buildings there are not as nice, but they tend to be cheaper and if you pick something on the right bus line (like the 151) you can get to the school very quickly. A lot of first years stay in Streeterville for the first year just out of caution, I think - either because they are worried about the cold or they don't know how good public transit will be and they don't want to risk having trouble getting to and fro. The truth is, though, that the buses/trains in Chicago are very reliable and as long as you pick something on a line that stops near the school you will probably be fine.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:14 am

..

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby 69sofine » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm

St. Paddy's day bump. Anyone receive non-deferral scholarship offers yet?

lawguy123
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby lawguy123 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:12 pm

It looks like someone on LSN claimed they got a 25K scholarship, although I guess they could be an AJD candidate.

stl1622dc
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby stl1622dc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 am

I was looking up some places on Craiglist and I have to say I'm freaking amazed by some of these apartments/condos. I lived in Berkeley for undergrad and my 1BR ($1300/month) is a piece of crap compared to some of the places I've seen.

http://www.plazaondewitt.com/plazaondew ... e_home.asp

Is this kind of place typical in the NU area?


69sofine wrote:St. Paddy's day bump. Anyone receive non-deferral scholarship offers yet?


Scholarship offers will start coming either Monday or Tuesday next week. (from the Admitted Students Blog)

LadyBroseph
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby LadyBroseph » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:45 am

stl1622dc wrote:
Scholarship offers will start coming either Monday or Tuesday next week. (from the Admitted Students Blog)


I saw this, too, and fingers crossed that I'll be hearing some good news from NU on this. Just wondering if anyone know is they do the offers via snail mail, or email? I'm heading out of town and want to know if I should tell my roommate to snoop through my mail.

lawguy123
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby lawguy123 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:20 am

Via email

User avatar
SleekFire
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby SleekFire » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:34 am

I got a 1 year deferred $135,000... It came in a email with my acceptance.

LadyBroseph
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby LadyBroseph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi all. Got my scholarship offer yesterday and while NU was top of my list beforehand, it's now squarely my No. 1. Yay! Anyways, I was hoping people could weigh in with their thoughts about living with a non-law-student roommate. One of my best friends lives outside of Chicago now and is really excited that I'll be there soon, too. I'm not worried about us not getting along, etc., but more about it affecting my study habits and/or ease of socializing with other law students. The social thing is mainly because I think we wouldn't live in Streeterville -- probably more up toward Lincoln Park. Are there any current students on here who can speak to that, or prospectives with thoughts? Thanks!

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby 69sofine » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:39 pm

LadyBroseph wrote:Hi all. Got my scholarship offer yesterday and while NU was top of my list beforehand, it's now squarely my No. 1. Yay! Anyways, I was hoping people could weigh in with their thoughts about living with a non-law-student roommate. One of my best friends lives outside of Chicago now and is really excited that I'll be there soon, too. I'm not worried about us not getting along, etc., but more about it affecting my study habits and/or ease of socializing with other law students. The social thing is mainly because I think we wouldn't live in Streeterville -- probably more up toward Lincoln Park. Are there any current students on here who can speak to that, or prospectives with thoughts? Thanks!


I was kinda wondering about this as well. It seems like it might be nice to live with a non-law-student just so the stress levels in the apartment don't get out of control.

stl1622dc
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby stl1622dc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm looking at housing options and was wondering if people had opinions on the following places:

McClurg Court
Onterie Center
Lakeshore Plaza - What exactly is "section 8"?

Any other recommendations for apartments in Streeterville? Thanks...

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby 69sofine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:16 pm

stl1622dc wrote:I'm looking at housing options and was wondering if people had opinions on the following places:

McClurg Court
Onterie Center
Lakeshore Plaza - What exactly is "section 8"?

Any other recommendations for apartments in Streeterville? Thanks...


Section 8 = subsidized housing = DO NOT WANT.

stl1622dc
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby stl1622dc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:32 pm

Another one...

The Streeter - its pricey, but is it worth it?
--LinkRemoved--

stl1622dc
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby stl1622dc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:33 pm

69sofine wrote:
stl1622dc wrote:I'm looking at housing options and was wondering if people had opinions on the following places:

McClurg Court
Onterie Center
Lakeshore Plaza - What exactly is "section 8"?

Any other recommendations for apartments in Streeterville? Thanks...


Section 8 = subsidized housing = DO NOT WANT.


Thanks... some of the comments/reviews I've read make more sense.

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby Elms » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:18 pm

So... anyone decided to commit after DANL? I'm still deciding but curious if anyone else has taken the plunge.

inthewall
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby inthewall » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Elms wrote:So... anyone decided to commit after DANL? I'm still deciding but curious if anyone else has taken the plunge.

+1

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby Dick Whitman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:30 am

I'm in. I nabbed a studio on Dearborn in the Gold Coast area while I was in town. Is anybody else on here living up that way?

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby 69sofine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm in as well, though I haven't even started thinking about an apartment.

Raison d'être
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby Raison d'être » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:40 pm

I've been looking at apartments--Hoping to move up there in the next month or two! Very excited...

pcsean28
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby pcsean28 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 pm

lawguy123 wrote:I received the folio NW sends out with all the admitted students info inside. I thought a very nice touch. Different (and nicer) than the acceptance packages I've been receiving from the other schools I've gotten into.


It was really nice to get that on the same day as the NYU rejection.

User avatar
69sofine
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby 69sofine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:11 pm

pcsean28 wrote:
lawguy123 wrote:I received the folio NW sends out with all the admitted students info inside. I thought a very nice touch. Different (and nicer) than the acceptance packages I've been receiving from the other schools I've gotten into.


It was really nice to get that on the same day as the NYU rejection.


I'm still waiting on mine, they forgot to send it so I had to remind them during DANL. Not sure why I couldn't have just picked it up while I was there.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest