Northwestern 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
animalcrkrs

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'm getting psyched to get out there and look even though apartment hunting is in reality the WORST thing ever (next to actually moving, which sucks more)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:00 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:Sweet-
Any idea what 1BRs are running there or other places around school?

Convertibles in McClurg are at $1350, with a $1000 one-time rebate.

The cheap seats are selling out, so hurry!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I have a convertible on hold at Onterie at $1050 / month after all rebates (approximately 550 square feet). It's my understanding that they also have a couple of studios available for $900 / month after all rebates.

I am hoping that the roommate will all fall into place and also have a 2 bed / 2 bath unit at McClurg on hold at $1925 / month after all rebates.

spankercheese

Postby spankercheese » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 pm

rayiner wrote:
animalcrkrs wrote:Sweet-
Any idea what 1BRs are running there or other places around school?

Convertibles in McClurg are at $1350, with a $1000 one-time rebate.

The cheap seats are selling out, so hurry!

yikes...i got a 1 bedroom with a view on a very high floor for about that price.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Yeah, once I looked into McClurg a little more, I found them to be quite a bit pricier compared to The Onterie.

spankercheese

Postby spankercheese » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:19 pm

i think that with McClurg it's all about timing. I put my apartment on hold during ASD. The leasing people told me at the time that if I would have waited until the summer they would have less units and also less incentive to offer discounts, etc. since so many people would be looking at apartments during that time.

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:49 pm

anyone here know about the grocery situation in streeterville? i'm currently feeling very privileged to have the highest volume co-op in the country two blocks away from my house, and don't want to give up my access to cheap, local, organic produce. am i gonna be stuck going to whole foods if i want good produce? is there anything that would cost less than giving up my first-born? i know there's a farmer's market very close to campus, but what about day-to-day stuff?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 pm

enygma wrote:anyone here know about the grocery situation in streeterville? i'm currently feeling very privileged to have the highest volume co-op in the country two blocks away from my house, and don't want to give up my access to cheap, local, organic produce. am i gonna be stuck going to whole foods if i want good produce? is there anything that would cost less than giving up my first-born? i know there's a farmer's market very close to campus, but what about day-to-day stuff?

There is a very nice grocery store next door to Onterie. The only downside is that it closes at 8PM. Although, there is a whole Foods is about a half mile north. While I was exploring, I discovered that Playboy Enterprises is only a block away from the law school (directly across the street from Onterie) ... interesting!

tlsusername

Postby tlsusername » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I just recently got a studio at Onterie. Anyone that is thinking about signing with them and wants to split the $1200 referral bonus just send me a PM...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
enygma wrote:anyone here know about the grocery situation in streeterville? i'm currently feeling very privileged to have the highest volume co-op in the country two blocks away from my house, and don't want to give up my access to cheap, local, organic produce. am i gonna be stuck going to whole foods if i want good produce? is there anything that would cost less than giving up my first-born? i know there's a farmer's market very close to campus, but what about day-to-day stuff?

There is a very nice grocery store next door to Onterie. The only downside is that it closes at 8PM. Although, there is a whole Foods is about a half mile north. While I was exploring, I discovered that Playboy Enterprises is only a block away from the law school (directly across the street from Onterie) ... interesting!

There are no bunnies there, just suits. :(

Spor

Postby Spor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Well this thread is hoppin' compared to usual.

I also have wondered how the grocery situation would be in Streeterville. I can't decide if the things like that are going to be weird to get used to. I've spent my entire life living in a suburb with giant supermarkets. I've had a car since the day I turned 16. It's been on a very rare occasion that I take public transit. My life has been quite different than it will be in Chicago. In a lot of ways I don't really know what will be different and what will be the same.

I think for the most part it will be an easy transition though and certainly an exciting one. My wife and I can't wait to get out of our current situation and try the city life for a few years.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Here's the grocery situation according to yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Chi ... tions:true

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Spor wrote:Well this thread is hoppin' compared to usual.

I also have wondered how the grocery situation would be in Streeterville. I can't decide if the things like that are going to be weird to get used to. I've spent my entire life living in a suburb with giant supermarkets. I've had a car since the day I turned 16. It's been on a very rare occasion that I take public transit. My life has been quite different than it will be in Chicago. In a lot of ways I don't really know what will be different and what will be the same.

I think for the most part it will be an easy transition though and certainly an exciting one. My wife and I can't wait to get out of our current situation and try the city life for a few years.

My husband and I are in a similar situation... where I live now you might as well forget trying to get by without a car, and shopping at Costco/Sam's Club for groceries is common. We're excited about trying out city life as well. My husband commented yesterday how strange it will be to not have car keys to carry around. I, for one, am looking forward to that. :mrgreen:

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Elms wrote:

My husband and I are in a similar situation... where I live now you might as well forget trying to get by without a car, and shopping at Costco/Sam's Club for groceries is common. We're excited about trying out city life as well. My husband commented yesterday how strange it will be to not have car keys to carry around. I, for one, am looking forward to that. :mrgreen:

Elms...if you are living in Uptown, there are a few great options. The Jewel-Osco at Broadway and Wilson is ok for basics (ignore the crazies), for good produce and a to support a local business (with gelato..hard to beat...) check out the "Fresh Market" on Sheridan. A little further north (like a bus ride away) there is a new Dominic's that has a really nice selection...also a little south on ashland there is another brand new Dominic's with the best selection. They really have everything.

Believe it or not, costco is in the middle of lakeview/lincoln park area near damen and elston. I still do a lot of shopping there for the big stuff...if you go bulk, it might be worth the cab ride every once in awhile. Or just go for the samples.

With regard to near the school...in the same building as the playboy hq (680 n lakeshore) there is the chicago-based "treasure Island" grocery chain. Less than a block from the LS, it will be where I go to grab a fresh snack between classes. It is sort of like Trader Joe's plus a delicious ready-to-eat section with salad bar/pizza/olive bar/etc.
Also in this building...mcD's, a cute independent coffee shop with biscotti that I like : ), an expensive-looking sushi joint, and a hardware store-which is hard to find downtown. Also--a lot of NW's medical offices are in this office to if you are going with their health plan/physicians, this could be your place.

basically 680 rocks.

/long-winded, unsolicited tour

Elms

Postby Elms » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:56 am

windycityblues wrote:
Elms wrote:

Elms...if you are living in Uptown, there are a few great options. The Jewel-Osco at Broadway and Wilson is ok for basics (ignore the crazies), for good produce and a to support a local business (with gelato..hard to beat...) check out the "Fresh Market" on Sheridan. A little further north (like a bus ride away) there is a new Dominic's that has a really nice selection...also a little south on ashland there is another brand new Dominic's with the best selection. They really have everything.

Believe it or not, costco is in the middle of lakeview/lincoln park area near damen and elston. I still do a lot of shopping there for the big stuff...if you go bulk, it might be worth the cab ride every once in awhile. Or just go for the samples.

With regard to near the school...in the same building as the playboy hq (680 n lakeshore) there is the chicago-based "treasure Island" grocery chain. Less than a block from the LS, it will be where I go to grab a fresh snack between classes. It is sort of like Trader Joe's plus a delicious ready-to-eat section with salad bar/pizza/olive bar/etc.
Also in this building...mcD's, a cute independent coffee shop with biscotti that I like : ), an expensive-looking sushi joint, and a hardware store-which is hard to find downtown. Also--a lot of NW's medical offices are in this office to if you are going with their health plan/physicians, this could be your place.

basically 680 rocks.

/long-winded, unsolicited tour

This is SO helpful! Thanks so much!

I heart TLS!

tome

Postby tome » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 am

There is a Trader Joe's at 44 E Ontario; about a 10 min walk almost straight West from the apartment buildings you guys are talking about in Streeterville. That would be my suggestion for cheapish but decent groceries.

There is also a Fox and Obel practically next door if you hate having money.

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 pm

tome wrote:There is a Trader Joe's at 44 E Ontario; about a 10 min walk almost straight West from the apartment buildings you guys are talking about in Streeterville. That would be my suggestion for cheapish but decent groceries.

Fox and Obel is awesome--definitely a special treat/not everyday grocery store. If you're looking for some of the more upscale items, go here (and they make great sandwiches).

I'm living in Streeterville and I do almost all of my shopping at Dominicks. I've been pretty pleased with it so far. It's easy walking distance from McClurg and The Streeter. It is less convenient grocery shopping without a car (I do lots of little trips), but definitely doable.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

tome wrote:There is a Trader Joe's at 44 E Ontario; about a 10 min walk almost straight West from the apartment buildings you guys are talking about in Streeterville. That would be my suggestion for cheapish but decent groceries.

God, how I do HATE having money. All that paper and counting...obnoxious. ;)

enygma

Postby enygma » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:15 pm

--LinkRemoved--

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Hahah... that description of Fox & Obel is soooo true.

Edit: Also, not totally familiar with grocery options in Streeterville, but for anyone planning on living in the northern Lincoln Park / Lakeview area, there are a few nice ones:

Treasure Island on Broadway & Cornelia (just south of Addison) - decent option, but not very nice compared to other Treasure Islands in the city.

Whole Foods on Halstead & Addison. Very nice, but a bit smaller than some other whole foods.

Jewel on Broadway & Cornelia - practically right across the street from the Treasure Island, and possibly the nicest Jewel I have ever been to in my life. Seriously. It doesn't look nice on the outside, but it's great on the inside and really gives Whole Foods a run for its money.

Trader Joes at Lincoln & Grace (in between Irving Park & Addison) - Nice TJ's, but small compared to others in the city.

Whole Foods at Lincoln & Belmont/Ashland - Nice, perhaps a bit bigger than the one previously mentioned.

There are other options further to the south and north, but those are the local ones for people in Northern Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:54 pm

Obligatory Gold Coast trolling: There's a Jewel at Clark and Division right by the El stop.

tome

Postby tome » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

There is also a big empty row of buildings on the boarder or Lincoln Park and Lakeview on Diversey (between Clark and Halstead) that is slated to be another Trader Joe's. This about a 30 second walk from my front door, and so I am excited (assuming I will still be here in a year's time). Residents around here are complaining, but they complain about everything and it never seems to have much effect... I wonder if I will be a whinny little bitch when I turn into a yuppie in a few years time?

Spor

Postby Spor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 am

chadwick218 wrote:Received enrollment certification survey today via emial from NU. The deadline to complete the survey is Friday of next week. For those who remain on the WL, hopefully the survey will prompt any students who do not plan to attend NU in the fall to withdraw and we'll see some action in the followings weeks.

That post is from the waitlist thread, but did everyone else get said email? I didn't :/

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 am

I received the enrollment certification email.

enygma

Postby enygma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 am

yeah, i got it.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”