Northwestern 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Skadden Stairs

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:46 am

doyleoil wrote:
rayiner wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
rayiner wrote:We could get some of the less dorky U of C people to come too.

you should have polls and vote on us - :P (if i make the cut, i'm in...)

Lol, the "less dorky" clause was expressly for you dolye.

<3 - gotta get dres also - i get to town early in august, so i'm down

I highly doubt you have low levels of dorkiness, even comparatively.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:07 am

lex talionis wrote:I highly doubt you have low levels of dorkiness, even comparatively.

shh, lex, we're trying to keep that under wraps

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 am

Lex, you can come too!

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am

rayiner wrote:Lex, you can come too!

Sure thing. I'll be in Chicago... err... never.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:10 am

I found a bug in NU's NetID setup webpage. The password has to be 6-8 characters, but the form doesn't reject longer passwords. It just silently truncates them instead. So I just spent 15 minutes figuring out why the password I *just created* didn't work. Grr.

TheHammer24

Postby TheHammer24 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am

rayiner wrote:I found a bug in NU's NetID setup webpage. The password has to be 6-8 characters, but the form doesn't reject longer passwords. It just silently truncates them instead. So I just spent 15 minutes figuring out why the password I *just created* didn't work. Grr.

Ha, interesting. I was having issues with logging into my mail earlier in the summer. I found that I had to go to the google.partnerpage website, then select "log in" to my email there to get taken to the net id in order to log into my email.

It wouldn't let me log in when i went straight to that website. It always told me my password was incorrect.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Aaaaand I just got laid off. Awesome.

Can school start soon? Please?

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:30 pm

hmlee wrote:Aaaaand I just got laid off. Awesome.

Damn. Not bad as far as timing goes. You can have fun this summer now!

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 pm

rayiner wrote:On a somewhat related note. When is everyone moving to Chicago? I'll be in town on August 15. What do y'all think about a pre-orientation Chicago bar night? We could get some of the less dorky U of C people to come too.

I should be there the week before, hopefully. I want to get some Cubs games under my belt too.

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 pm

So rubyslippers and I are definitely meeting up for a drink sometime after 5 tonight. I think Corsair mentioned something about coming as well--anyone else down?

Elms

Postby Elms » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Sorry to hear that... hopefully you can have some fun with the rest of your summer!

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:06 am

Spor

Postby Spor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:15 am

Corsair wrote:Just got home from someone's hotel room. Good times were had by all, even by the U of C admit who was lamenting the fact that his future classmates may not be as awesome as the NU crew. However, much of the conversation was inappropriate for mixed company, and will not be repeated here.

Sounds like you had a good time. I'm sure more of us will be joining when we get to Chicago.

Elms

Postby Elms » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Well the hubby flew in last Friday and found a good deal on a one bedroom condo in Uptown for us. It's a tad bit farther from school than I'd prefer, but it takes our pets and fits our furniture at a great price so we're happy. It feels so good to have the housing search done with, at least. :)

Spor

Postby Spor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 am

Anyone else feeling the crunch to get things wrapped up before moving?

I still need to:
  • Figure out how I'm going to move.
  • Sell my car.
  • Get any possible dental/medical/vision work done. Might as well milk my current insurance for all it's worth.
  • Pick out an IRA and rollover my 401k.
  • Research and decide upon new insurance. (Are most of you just going with NU's health insurance plan?)
  • Find a new bank with branches in Chicago and get my money transferred. (Suggestions?)
  • Finalize student loans.
  • Get the tetnus shot I need to complete the entrance health requirements.
  • And surely more...

Like Elms, I at least have an apartment lined up, so that's nice. Even if it does feel like it's the only thing I have done.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 am

rayiner wrote:I found a bug in NU's NetID setup webpage. The password has to be 6-8 characters, but the form doesn't reject longer passwords. It just silently truncates them instead. So I just spent 15 minutes figuring out why the password I *just created* didn't work. Grr.

I experienced the very same issue .... blaagh!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:04 am

Awesome ... I am trying so hard to be laid off ... I am currently on sabbatical through the end of July (being paid 50%, accruing vacation). If I can also get laid off, I will receive severance for another two months. I have some tricks up my sleeve. I am open to suggestions ... the more creative, the better. Remember, I need to be laid off. If I am dismissed for code of conduct violations, I will not receive any severance!

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 am

Spor wrote:Anyone else feeling the crunch to get things wrapped up before moving?

I still need to:
  • Sell my car.
  • Get any possible dental/medical/vision work done. Might as well milk my current insurance for all it's worth.
  • Research and decide upon new insurance. (Are most of you just going with NU's health insurance plan?)
  • Find a new bank with branches in Chicago and get my money transferred. (Suggestions?)
  • And surely more...

Like Elms, I at least have an apartment lined up, so that's nice. Even if it does feel like it's the only thing I have done.

Chase has a lot of branches and ATMs in the city. Citibank is another good choice.

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Spor wrote:Anyone else feeling the crunch to get things wrapped up before moving?

I still need to:
  • Sell my car.
  • And surely more...

I second hmlee--Chase is supposedly the best (has the most branches in Chicago). Bank of American isn't terrible, either. I'm using Fidelity for my 401k rollover to IRA (if that helps). I'm going to use Northwestern's health plan--I've heard it's good from current students (and it sounds good, from the research I've done) and it's cheaper than what I'm currently paying.

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Raison d'être wrote:

I still need to:
  • Sell my car.
  • And surely more...

I second hmlee--Chase is supposedly the best (has the most branches in Chicago). Bank of American isn't terrible, either. I'm using Fidelity for my 401k rollover to IRA (if that helps). I'm going to use Northwestern's health plan--I've heard it's good from current students (and it sounds good, from the research I've done) and it's cheaper than what I'm currently paying.

I use Bank of America and I've never had any problems with them. I'm lucky that they have branches in Chicago and I don't have to bother with switching banks. We have two cars to sell, yikes! I hope it doesn't take too long! We still have to deal with rolling over retirement stuff and my husband needs a tetanus shot for his entrance requirements to Loyola. Luckily, my tetanus is still current, although it will expire during 2L year. We are trying to get our house leased and sell/give away a bunch of stuff... yeah, I'm feeling the pressure to get everything done.

When are people moving? We got an August 1st lease. I want to be moved and well settled/unpacked before orientation.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 pm

I managed to trim down the majority of my to-do list in the last couple weeks. Sold my car, sent a deposit in on a place, got a tetanus shot. Now I need to figure out how to get to Chicago from the West Coast. I'm leaning towards buying a one way ticket and paying extra to bring a bunch of luggage.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:52 pm

I am heading out on Thursday to find a place and hopefully will get it done in short order...aiming for an Aug. 15th move in...I've heard there are some good deals in the Onterie and the Streeter, any place else have some good $$ deals? (studio, convertible or 1BR)

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:53 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:I am heading out on Thursday to find a place and hopefully will get it done in short order...aiming for an Aug. 15th move in...I've heard there are some good deals in the Onterie and the Streeter, any place else have some good $$ deals? (studio, convertible or 1BR)

I got a studio in the Onterie. They give you all kinds of discounts currently. I think it prorates out to around 900/month.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Sweet-
Any idea what 1BRs are running there or other places around school?

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:57 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:Sweet-
Any idea what 1BRs are running there or other places around school?

I think they had some convertibles for another 150/month. I think one bedrooms might be a 100 more than that.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”