Northwestern 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Corsair

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby Corsair » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:48 am

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:06 pm

can any of you current chicagoans offer any protips on how to find a (not-insanely-overpriced) place in lincoln park or lakeview? i'm already turned off by most of the free apartment finding services, and i haven't even stepped in the door. would you suggest craigslist, realtors, something brilliant i'd never even think of on my own? thanks!

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Should I be worried by how happy Chicago rent rates make me when I compare them to DC? It's really warping my sense of how expensive my COL will really be.

bdemon

Postby bdemon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:14 pm

I currently live in Lincoln Park. I suggest craigslist or the Chicago Reader for finding apartments. Also, padmapper.com puts craigslist listings on a map, and you can filter it to your price range, etc. It's pretty handy.

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm

bdemon wrote:I currently live in Lincoln Park. I suggest craigslist or the Chicago Reader for finding apartments. Also, padmapper.com puts craigslist listings on a map, and you can filter it to your price range, etc. It's pretty handy.

that's a crazy tool. really helpful, actually!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Lizface killah wrote:Should I be worried by how happy Chicago rent rates make me when I compare them to DC? It's really warping my sense of how expensive my COL will really be.

Chicago's COL seems to be reasonable. A ~600 sq-ft studio seems to cost about what it would here in Atlanta. Comparably-nice studios in DC would be :shock: .

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:04 pm

gus wrote:can any of you current chicagoans offer any protips on how to find a (not-insanely-overpriced) place in lincoln park or lakeview? i'm already turned off by most of the free apartment finding services, and i haven't even stepped in the door. would you suggest craigslist, realtors, something brilliant i'd never even think of on my own? thanks!

If you can really narrow down where you want to live, then just walk down those streets and starting calling numbers on For Rent signs.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:12 pm

I've never heard of padmapper before, but I found my current place (a rented condo in Lakeview) on Craigslist.

Spor

Postby Spor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Anyone looked into how to go about the move yet? I need to figure out the best way to get my wife, my dog, my stuff, and I 1500 miles to Chicago.

I could rent a Uhaul and drive for 24 hours, but that seems really annoying. I'm also not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of driving a Uhaul through downtown Chicago. It seems like it could go terribly wrong in so many ways.

Next I'm going to call a moving company. The problem with this method is having to buy 3 plane tickets; well one of them isn't technically a plane ticket but it costs just as much. I've also heard stories of moving companies breaking and losing stuff, delaying their arrival and making you wait days before your stuff gets to you, etc.

Any long distance movers have a great plan I can steal?

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:26 pm

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:02 am

Spor wrote:Anyone looked into how to go about the move yet? I need to figure out the best way to get my wife, my dog, my stuff, and I 1500 miles to Chicago.

I could rent a Uhaul and drive for 24 hours, but that seems really annoying. I'm also not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of driving a Uhaul through downtown Chicago. It seems like it could go terribly wrong in so many ways.

Next I'm going to call a moving company. The problem with this method is having to buy 3 plane tickets; well one of them isn't technically a plane ticket but it costs just as much. I've also heard stories of moving companies breaking and losing stuff, delaying their arrival and making you wait days before your stuff gets to you, etc.

Sell all your stuff, fly to Chicago, repurchase stuff on craigslist.

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Spor wrote:Anyone looked into how to go about the move yet? I need to figure out the best way to get my wife, my dog, my stuff, and I 1500 miles to Chicago.

I recently moved out here (long distance) and I used movers. I would strongly suggest using a smaller moving company as opposed to a national one. With the national companies, you typically share a truck with someone else and are often at the mercy of the movers' schedule. If you can get a small company (as I did--just two guys and a smaller truck), you won't have to share and they will likely be much more respectful of your schedule. I was quoted a number of prices, and the smaller company charged almost half what a national company would. I do think I was rather lucky (movers on time, all stuff intact etc.), however I would suggest you do a little digging and see if you can find something like this. Also, remember to tip them (less chance of your stuff breaking).

enygma

Postby enygma » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:47 pm

so are most folks going for streeterville or gold coast?

findaplace

Postby findaplace » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 am

Hi all, is any one still finding a place to live? Does any one who wants to find a roommate in an apartment which is near to the Law school?

I would like to live in McClurg or Onterie, and want to share a bigger apartment with a roommate. Any one (female) who is still finding, would you please let me know if you would like to share an apartment with a female?

enygma

Postby enygma » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 am

does onterie have a website where i can look at floor plans or anything? googling onterie doesn't seem to help me.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 am

enygma wrote:does onterie have a website where i can look at floor plans or anything? googling onterie doesn't seem to help me.

http://www.rent.com/rentals/illinois/chicago-and-vicinity/chicago/streeterville/onterie/441120/

I am not going to look at places until July 9th-12th...for an Aug. 15th move in...
I called a few places and they said that weekend would be fine since most places are 30-45 day notice...I hope there are still good studios/1BRs left near school!!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 am

So I am in Chicago looking for apartments today (either Gold Coast or Streeterville) and it is absolutely pouring. I spent the past week working in Orlando where it poured every day this week ... rain, rain go away!

Looks like I'll just have to get wet!

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 pm

chadwick218 wrote:So I am in Chicago looking for apartments today (either Gold Coast or Streeterville) and it is absolutely pouring. I spent the past week working in Orlando where it poured every day this week ... rain, rain go away!

Looks like I'll just have to get wet!

Storms have stopped now for the time being.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:47 pm

enygma wrote:does onterie have a website where i can look at floor plans or anything? googling onterie doesn't seem to help me.

I checked out Onterie today ... fairly large studios (i.e. 550+ square feet) available on 9/1 are running for b/w $950 - $1,100 (w/ gorgeous lake view).

Elms

Postby Elms » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 pm

hmlee wrote:
Elms wrote:Does anyone familiar with Chicago have any idea how long the commute from Rogers Park to campus would be, or what buses/trains I would need to be near to get to campus conveniently? I realize this will be a longer commute, but my husband is coming to Chicago with me and will be finishing his undergrad at Loyola in Rogers Park. Since the area is cheaper, it seems to make more sense to live close to his school. Also, being from Texas where everything is pretty spread out, I'm used to driving 45 minutes each way to work every day, so a longer commute doesn't necessarily bother me that much. I just want to make sure I know more or less what the time frame would be for a train/bus ride to campus from Rogers Park. TIA.

Do you have a car, or are you talking strictly transit? By transit, you're looking at a 35-40 minute trip via the 147. Of course, that doesn't include time spent waiting for the bus to arrive. It's really kind of a pain to go that distance every single day. I know you mentioned price... but have you considered splitting the difference and trying to look for places in Lakeview? It won't be as cheap as Rogers Park, but it's less expensive than Lincoln Park, and would be accessible to both of you... Plus, it'd be safer. Rogers Park is getting better, but still has some sketchy parts in it.

Yeah, we are not bringing any cars. I like the idea of Lakeview but we are having trouble finding a place that is within our budget, takes pets, and is big enough for our King size bed which we are really unwilling to part with.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:52 am

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:36 am

enygma wrote:so are most folks going for streeterville or gold coast?

Most people will wind up in Streeterville. But as a Gold Coast resident, I have to give it a recommendation. It's only a 20 min. walk/10 min bike ride to school, is far more residential than Streeterville (but still urban), and has far more character (and less tourists). It's also cheaper.

Orientation for the regular JDs starts the week of August 24th.

tome

Postby tome » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:33 pm

I first used one of the apartment-finder services. Although we actually found our place through Craigslist, it was really helpful to get an overview of the market by being driven around town looking at places.

TheHammer24

Postby TheHammer24 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

I am going to be in Streeterville/Gold Coast. Looking forward to it. Tempted to do Lincoln Park, but maybe i'll save that for year two. Really cool bar/party scene around there. Any interest on weekends 8) ?

So how old is everyone in this thread right now? Seems like we have some varying ages...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

25. Average age at NU is allegedly 26, which is awesome.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”