Northwestern 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
hmlee

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby hmlee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:22 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
Elms wrote:Does anyone familiar with Chicago have any idea how long the commute from Rogers Park to campus would be, or what buses/trains I would need to be near to get to campus conveniently? I realize this will be a longer commute, but my husband is coming to Chicago with me and will be finishing his undergrad at Loyola in Rogers Park. Since the area is cheaper, it seems to make more sense to live close to his school. Also, being from Texas where everything is pretty spread out, I'm used to driving 45 minutes each way to work every day, so a longer commute doesn't necessarily bother me that much. I just want to make sure I know more or less what the time frame would be for a train/bus ride to campus from Rogers Park. TIA.

I think people exaggerate the difficulty of living a little bit further north; The commute is seriously a straight shot on Lakeshore, and depending on what time of day you were driving, i would say as few as 15min during light traffic, and up to 45 during the height of rush hour. The 45 during the height of rush hour really isn't that bad considering... For ex, I'd much rather be on lakeshore during rush hour than 90/94 or 55

Yeah if we're talking with a car then the commute on lake shore is nothing, except for during rush hour. The problem is if we're talking about relying solely on the CTA in which case the commute time is longer and the waiting for it to arrive time is the more problematic thing.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Hiya!

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:23 pm

rayiner wrote:Hiya!

Yay!!

Spor

Postby Spor » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 pm

rayiner wrote:Hiya!

I've been following your decision thread and am surprised it took you this long.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Anybody planning to commute? The thought of not having my car with me gives me cold sweats at night. Northwestern's parking is actually quite cheap ($370 per academic year), but the policy is somewhat screwy. You're eligible if you live outside of 1.75 miles, which is fine, but it doesn't kick in until October (?) and you don't know if you've got a spot until then. So if you get an apartment 2 miles away and don't get a parking spot...

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:54 pm

rayiner wrote:Anybody planning to commute? The thought of not having my car with me gives me cold sweats at night. Northwestern's parking is actually quite cheap ($370 per academic year), but the policy is somewhat screwy. You're eligible if you live outside of 1.75 miles, which is fine, but it doesn't kick in until October (?) and you don't know if you've got a spot until then. So if you get an apartment 2 miles away and don't get a parking spot...

The thought of commuting to school makes me hurl. I plan on living within comfortable walking distance.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
rayiner wrote:Anybody planning to commute? The thought of not having my car with me gives me cold sweats at night. Northwestern's parking is actually quite cheap ($370 per academic year), but the policy is somewhat screwy. You're eligible if you live outside of 1.75 miles, which is fine, but it doesn't kick in until October (?) and you don't know if you've got a spot until then. So if you get an apartment 2 miles away and don't get a parking spot...

The thought of commuting to school makes me hurl. I plan on living within comfortable walking distance.

I'm actually having a physical reaction to the thought of walking around or carrying groceries. Like this tightness in my chest and random muscle spasms...

The idea of... weather... What if it rains? Or snows? Ack, snow! Or rain... :oops:

FWIW, I commuted 15 miles to my high school, and currently commute 25 miles to work. I am what I am.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:46 pm

+1 ... I am also planning on finding housing within walking distance. After having worked in both LA and Dallas, I am so ready to sell my car and not have to spend an hour every morning / afternoon in traffic.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:03 pm

I think I'll bite the bullet and live in Streeterville. Where's everyone living?

MMW

Postby MMW » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:23 pm

I lived in Lincoln Park this last year. It takes me about 30 mins to get to school and I didn't mind the commute at all. The rent is much cheaper, I don't feel like I am living in Brazil (the movie not the country), and there is more to do on the weekend. I would highly recommend leaving streeterville if you can.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 pm

MMW wrote:I lived in Lincoln Park this last year. It takes me about 30 mins to get to school and I didn't mind the commute at all. The rent is much cheaper, I don't feel like I am living in Brazil (the movie not the country), and there is more to do on the weekend. I would highly recommend leaving streeterville if you can.

As far as I can tell Lincoln Park doesn't qualify you for parking at the law school. Is that correct? By "commute", do you mean "public transportation"? Because the idea of waiting for a train/bus in -100 degree weather... :cry:

Spor

Postby Spor » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:37 pm

rayiner wrote:I think I'll bite the bullet and live in Streeterville. Where's everyone living?

I'm thinking streeterville. It might cost a little more, might not have a neighborhood feel, and might be touristy at times, but I don't want to deal with any sort of commute.

(Those are some of the complaints I've heard about streeterville.)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Spor wrote:
rayiner wrote:I think I'll bite the bullet and live in Streeterville. Where's everyone living?

I'm thinking streeterville. It might cost a little more, might not have a neighborhood feel, and might be touristy at times, but I don't want to deal with any sort of commute.

(Those are some of the complaints I've heard about streeterville.)

I can deal with unneighborly and touristy --- I lived in DC for years. :mrgreen:

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 am

I'm living in Lakeview on Irving Park Road (exactly 4.5 miles from the law school, according to Google) I plan on commuting by CTA at least as long as it's not January outside... at that point maybe I'll have one of those parking passes and I'll switch to driving. Hmm.

MMW

Postby MMW » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:38 am

rayiner wrote:
MMW wrote:I lived in Lincoln Park this last year. It takes me about 30 mins to get to school and I didn't mind the commute at all. The rent is much cheaper, I don't feel like I am living in Brazil (the movie not the country), and there is more to do on the weekend. I would highly recommend leaving streeterville if you can.

As far as I can tell Lincoln Park doesn't qualify you for parking at the law school. Is that correct? By "commute", do you mean "public transportation"? Because the idea of waiting for a train/bus in -100 degree weather... :cry:

I take the train. Also, most people I know take the train on the -100 days since digging your car out of the snow, waiting for your car to heat up, and finding some way to save your parking spot is more trouble that waiting 2 mins for the red line.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:02 am

I'm going to live in McClurg or Lake Shore Plaza, I think. I'm also looking forward to selling my car.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:47 am

MMW wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I take the train. Also, most people I know take the train on the -100 days since digging your car out of the snow, waiting for your car to heat up, and finding some way to save your parking spot is more trouble that waiting 2 mins for the red line.

They don't have parking in the buildings?

treschic

Postby treschic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:55 am

Closer the better for me. So I can roll out of bed, put my clothes on, and get to class. I'm not a morning person :cry: Definitely looking into the buildings within a few blocks of the law school...at least until I get to know the city better. I will miss having my car though. After being in the Bay for a while, and then being in NJ for a while, my car has become my second home.

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 am

rayiner wrote:
MMW wrote:
rayiner wrote:

SOME buildings will have garages, but those are mostly the larger condo buildings where you will pay a premium to have a spot, like a couple hundred a month extra. Most properties on the North side (Lpark, lakeview, etc etc) are smaller buildings with either no parking-so you park on the street and have to try and climb the iceberg barriers that snow plows create between the your parked car and the road while fighting off the people who think leaving a chair in their spot saves it..grr--or there is an outdoor parking pad that you have to dig out of every day. I dream of having a garage spot someday. Until then, CTA all the way in the winter. People knock the el, but it is frequent, warm, reliable, and FREE for law students.

enygma

Postby enygma » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:12 pm

would it be difficult to find a place within ~15 minutes of the school that has a balcony? or some other sort of outdoor area where I could run a propane burner?

tome

Postby tome » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Congrats on joining NU all you new folks!

For those of you thinking about Rodgers Park, most of it really isn't that bad IMO. My wife's tiny, single, white cousin lives there and commutes to the NU downtown campus every day and doesn't have a problem. The idea that it is dangerous really seems to be a kind of suburban fear-of-the-city thing, and the express bus is super-quick. Just make sure you live on the East side of town.

Spor

Postby Spor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

enygma wrote:would it be difficult to find a place within ~15 minutes of the school that has a balcony? or some other sort of outdoor area where I could run a propane burner?

I think it's unlikely that they'll let you have a propane bbq even if you do have a balcony. A lot of the high rise buildings I've looked at have BBQs on the amenities floor that everyone can use. It isn't as convinient as having one on your own balcony, but it's something.

enygma

Postby enygma » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Spor wrote:
enygma wrote:would it be difficult to find a place within ~15 minutes of the school that has a balcony? or some other sort of outdoor area where I could run a propane burner?

I think it's unlikely that they'll let you have a propane bbq even if you do have a balcony. A lot of the high rise buildings I've looked at have BBQs on the amenities floor that everyone can use. It isn't as convinient as having one on your own balcony, but it's something.

eh, i'm looking at using it for brewing beer.

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:53 pm

rayiner wrote:
MMW wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Many buildings do have garages, but they're almost always $250+/month to park in. Also, parking in the city and gas prices are disastrous! Street parking at meters are around $4/hr, a lot of the neighborhoods have permit parking only on streets, and parking garages and valet are gonna run you around 10 bucks/hr. Gas is around 4 bucks a gallon. It's definitely an adjustment for me not having my car (I've always lived in rather spread out cities where cars were a necessity), but it's pretty expensive to have one (if you live downtown, that is).

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 pm

tome wrote:Congrats on joining NU all you new folks!

For those of you thinking about Rodgers Park, most of it really isn't that bad IMO. My wife's tiny, single, white cousin lives there and commutes to the NU downtown campus every day and doesn't have a problem. The idea that it is dangerous really seems to be a kind of suburban fear-of-the-city thing, and the express bus is super-quick. Just make sure you live on the East side of town.

I wouldn't say it's dangerous, per se, but it is more sketchy than Lincoln Park or Lakeview. It's not nearly as bad as it was back in the day when my parents lived there (early to mid 1980s), but, in any case, the argument against the poster living there was more one of commute than anything else. Living in Uptown or Lakeview could potentially shave a ton off the CTA commute for not that much more money than Rogers Park.

By the way, I have parking at my condo building where I'm renting, and it tacks an extra $200/mo onto my rent. My rent is pretty low as is for the area, so I don't mind it so much, but it's something to be aware of if you have a car.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”