Northwestern 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
hmlee

Re: Northwestern 2012

Postby hmlee » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:38 pm

For those asking about fin-aid:

I was admitted on the 23rd of April, received my preliminary fin aid info on the 7th of May (make sure you submit all of your documentation ASAP!), and then got an e-mail about how scholarship money was basically gone on May 10th (I knew this already, but it was nice for them to tell me)....

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi. Is there a 2012 Facebook group yet?

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Lizface killah wrote:Hi. Is there a 2012 Facebook group yet?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 289&ref=ts

it's maintained by the student admissions committee. and just about as active as this thread.

Lizface killah

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 pm

gus wrote:
Lizface killah wrote:Hi. Is there a 2012 Facebook group yet?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 289&ref=ts

it's maintained by the student admissions committee. and just about as active as this thread.

We'll have to work on that.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:45 pm

I haven't gotten my email addy or login yet.
how long did it take people to get that?

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 pm

So when is everyone planning to move?

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:21 am

animalcrkrs wrote:I haven't gotten my email addy or login yet.

Took about a month for me. How did you pay your deposit without that info?

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 am

Raison d'être wrote:So when is everyone planning to move?

I moved less than a week before I started classes, (AJD classes over the summer) and it was a mistake. Give yourself plenty of time to get settled in and enjoy Chicago.

TheHammer24

Postby TheHammer24 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Where's everyone living, and has anyone signed their lease yet?

This apartment hunting is a headache. I'm thinking I am going to conform to the "2/3 that live in streeterville" cohort, and find a place within 15 minutes of the campus.

Any other resources besides student-space and chicagoapartmentfinders?

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 pm

I got mine 2 weeks after I was admitted.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Where's everyone living, and has anyone signed their lease yet?

This apartment hunting is a headache. I'm thinking I am going to conform to the "2/3 that live in streeterville" cohort, and find a place within 15 minutes of the campus.

I wrote a really long post on this here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74438

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:05 pm

69sofine wrote:

Took about a month for me. How did you pay your deposit without that info?

Got in off WL, had to send in my form with the $$ ASAP. (snail mail)

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:08 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Where's everyone living, and has anyone signed their lease yet?

I am headed out there the July 8th or so to look at places--I talked to some leasing offices etc. and they advised to wait until July 1 or later if you are aiming for an August 15 move-which I am- (a bit earlier for an August 1 but not by much since most leases are 30 day notice)
Since I am coming from out of town I need to get it done rather quickly so I figured I'd go at the height of when leases would be up--while I bet some places directly around NU are open now I am guessing things will still be around in early July.

Raison d'être

Postby Raison d'être » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:22 pm

hmlee wrote:

I wrote a really long post on this here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74438

I actually just moved a little over a week ago. Like most 1Ls, I'm living in Streeterville. If anyone's around and wants to grab a drink, send me a pm--would love to meet some future classmates!

TheHammer24

Postby TheHammer24 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Well scheduling will permit me to do it either the weekend of June 26 or the third weekend in July. Being from out of town, I would prefer to get this out of the way as soon as possible, but I still want to maximize my selection when I go through the process.

How adversely affected would I be doing it the Weekend of July 26th for an August 15 move in date.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Well scheduling will permit me to do it either the weekend of June 26 or the third weekend in July. Being from out of town, I would prefer to get this out of the way as soon as possible, but I still want to maximize my selection when I go through the process.

How adversely affected would I be doing it the Weekend of July 26th for an August 15 move in date.

While I'm not a real estate professional, I think it would probably be better to try a few days before July 1 than wait until the end of July. Lots of people will presumably be coming to the city to start school at various institutions, and it seems to me that if you wait too long you might run the risk of getting skunked on good places. I found a place in under two weeks last year, but it was kind of stressful to have that time crunch hanging over me.

Edit: Also, I'm living in Lakeview where I live currently.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Accepted today off of the WL!

I am hoping to live in grad housing for the first year or so ... I'll be visiting this week!

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 am

Congrats!! I've been rooting for you on the WL's!
Glad to know you are coming to NU!

Elms

Postby Elms » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:53 pm

Does anyone familiar with Chicago have any idea how long the commute from Rogers Park to campus would be, or what buses/trains I would need to be near to get to campus conveniently? I realize this will be a longer commute, but my husband is coming to Chicago with me and will be finishing his undergrad at Loyola in Rogers Park. Since the area is cheaper, it seems to make more sense to live close to his school. Also, being from Texas where everything is pretty spread out, I'm used to driving 45 minutes each way to work every day, so a longer commute doesn't necessarily bother me that much. I just want to make sure I know more or less what the time frame would be for a train/bus ride to campus from Rogers Park. TIA.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:05 am

Elms wrote:Does anyone familiar with Chicago have any idea how long the commute from Rogers Park to campus would be, or what buses/trains I would need to be near to get to campus conveniently? I realize this will be a longer commute, but my husband is coming to Chicago with me and will be finishing his undergrad at Loyola in Rogers Park. Since the area is cheaper, it seems to make more sense to live close to his school. Also, being from Texas where everything is pretty spread out, I'm used to driving 45 minutes each way to work every day, so a longer commute doesn't necessarily bother me that much. I just want to make sure I know more or less what the time frame would be for a train/bus ride to campus from Rogers Park. TIA.

Do you have a car, or are you talking strictly transit? By transit, you're looking at a 35-40 minute trip via the 147. Of course, that doesn't include time spent waiting for the bus to arrive. It's really kind of a pain to go that distance every single day. I know you mentioned price... but have you considered splitting the difference and trying to look for places in Lakeview? It won't be as cheap as Rogers Park, but it's less expensive than Lincoln Park, and would be accessible to both of you... Plus, it'd be safer. Rogers Park is getting better, but still has some sketchy parts in it.

enygma

Postby enygma » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 pm

hey guys :D

on_ne_sait_jamais

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Elms wrote:Does anyone familiar with Chicago have any idea how long the commute from Rogers Park to campus would be, or what buses/trains I would need to be near to get to campus conveniently? I realize this will be a longer commute, but my husband is coming to Chicago with me and will be finishing his undergrad at Loyola in Rogers Park. Since the area is cheaper, it seems to make more sense to live close to his school. Also, being from Texas where everything is pretty spread out, I'm used to driving 45 minutes each way to work every day, so a longer commute doesn't necessarily bother me that much. I just want to make sure I know more or less what the time frame would be for a train/bus ride to campus from Rogers Park. TIA.

I think people exaggerate the difficulty of living a little bit further north; The commute is seriously a straight shot on Lakeshore, and depending on what time of day you were driving, i would say as few as 15min during light traffic, and up to 45 during the height of rush hour. The 45 during the height of rush hour really isn't that bad considering... For ex, I'd much rather be on lakeshore during rush hour than 90/94 or 55

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:17 pm

enygma wrote:hey guys :D

Congrats! I was pulling for ya.

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:07 pm

I would recommend an "in between" option as well. Rogers Park isn't the safest place to live, and relying on just the bus is a PAIN. If lakeview is too expensive (which it is quickly growing to be) I would look at parts of Uptown or Edgewater. Both of these neighborhoods also have their own "rough pockets," but if you do your research and check out the hoods, the cost of living is good and the red line in addition to busses offers an unbeatable transportation option. I don't start until 2010, but I live in Uptown and know the commute will be very easy. It takes 45 at most for me to get there door to door, plus I love how residential the neighborhood feels. For me, there's something great about being able to get out of the intensity of downtown after a stressful day. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me for the scoop on living up here.

69sofine

Postby 69sofine » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Bump for Rayiner to join this thread.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”