Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Alexandria

Silver

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Alexandria » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:41 am

Well, like the thing where he asked a girl her LSAT score and then told her she shouldn't have gotten into Michigan really pissed people off.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:47 am

Alexandria wrote:Well, like the thing where he asked a girl her LSAT score and then told her she shouldn't have gotten into Michigan really pissed people off.
He had the balls to ask a current student about her LSAT scores? That thread made it sound like he'd done it to an admit at an ASW (which I now gather he didn't attend). That's even worse, actually.

As I say, I've got pity for him. I feel sorry for anyone cursed with such a repugnant personality, complete lack of tact/grace and obvious lack of judgment. What was the point of asking such a thing? And why would he follow it up with such a comment, even if her score was below Michigan's median?

I cannot believe somebody would be actually foolish enough to do that.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:08 am

dresden doll wrote:
He had the balls to ask a current student about her LSAT scores?
Yup.

Admissions wants to know the impressions that current students have of prospectives... and this guy definitely left impressions.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 am

Wow. Please do not tell me it's also correct he brought "Law School for Dummies" book along or that he was incredulous about the fact that the 0L he took his tour with was actually admitted. I cannot believe that. Thank God he wasn't outright admitted. What a raging tool.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 am

It's true about the book... don't know about the other 0L on his tour.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:20 am

Does somebody actually carry a frog to classes at Michigan? For some odd reason I find that kind of cool.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:22 am

There's someone else here who could answer that better than I could. ;)

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:05 am

dresden doll wrote:Whoa. It would suck to be that gunner right now, then. I cannot believe people actually wrote to Dean Z. about him.
I have heard that admissions tells current students who are active in hosting ASW events to let the administration know if they come across anyone that they would really not want to spend three years with. Admissions does not hesitate to "encourage" people to go elsewhere (even admits, let alone wait listed mega-gunners) when they show up in person waving big red flags.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 am

worldtraveler wrote:Does somebody actually carry a frog to classes at Michigan? For some odd reason I find that kind of cool.
I'm not in his section, but I've never actually seen him around school with the frog. It does show up in every photo of him though. And it has its own facebook group. He's a great guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:37 am

Yeah, same... we're acquainted, but I've never actually seen the frog. Maybe he keeps it in his backpack. Very nice guy, and screw XOXO for making fun of someone for not being afraid to be a little different. I admire anyone who can remain a child at heart; I certainly try to (well, it comes naturally :) ).

tetrisd

New

Post by tetrisd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 am

worldtraveler wrote:Does somebody actually carry a frog to classes at Michigan? For some odd reason I find that kind of cool.
Everybody finds that frog and frog-guy cool. In fact, I think his frog has more Facebook/IRL friends than I do. :cry:

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 am

I rather enjoy the frog guy. I think he's cool and he doesn't give a crap about what people think. Kudos to that dude.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 pm

Is Michigan accredited with the ABA?

( :twisted: Love you guys!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:14 pm

snotrocket wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Whoa. It would suck to be that gunner right now, then. I cannot believe people actually wrote to Dean Z. about him.
I have heard that admissions tells current students who are active in hosting ASW events to let the administration know if they come across anyone that they would really not want to spend three years with. Admissions does not hesitate to "encourage" people to go elsewhere (even admits, let alone wait listed mega-gunners) when they show up in person waving big red flags.
I think that's pretty awesome, actually. Michigan's huge selling point, from my perspective, is the community. When I visited, I really liked all current and prospective students. I'm already friends with some on FB and I'm looking forward to hanging out with them in the fall. I'd hate for my impression of U of M community as so friendly and collegial to be marred in the fall by a vocal minority of raging tools like that guy.

I still cannot believe someone would be douchey enough to actually prompt current students to write to Dean Z. about him, though. Given that reports like these practically destroy person's chances of getting off the WL, I'd imagine they think pretty hard before waving the red flag to the admissions. So really, how much of an ass do you have to be to enrage current students to such an extent...what a failure in judgment, to speak of nothing of the noxious personality.

Out of curiosity, what does administration do to 'encourage' obnoxious admits to enroll elsewhere? What can be done, short of revoking the offer (which I'd imagine they don't do)?

tetrisd

New

Post by tetrisd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:06 pm

dresden doll wrote: Out of curiosity, what does administration do to 'encourage' obnoxious admits to enroll elsewhere? What can be done, short of revoking the offer (which I'd imagine they don't do)?
Glad you like the community here! It was definitely one of the selling points for me. Plus, you know, ITS MICHIGAN LAW!

But onto the point, I heard this story once from a friend. This friend went to an ASW and one of the admitted students was a total prick apparently. Complaining about the food and berating the servers and so forth. Anyway, I guess Dean Z went up to him and told him to his face that he probably wouldn't fit in at Michigan and encouraged him to go somewhere else.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:12 pm

^Good for Dean Z. I know schools watch their yield rates, and Michigan is frequently resented for some of the YP-ing it is said to practice but stories like that go to show admissions are genuinely concerned about the kinds of people they let in (as opposed to paying attention to nothing beyond LSAT/GPA combo). I'm glad they aren't afraid to have the yield rate take a hit in exchange for weeding out tools.

tetrisd

New

Post by tetrisd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:^Good for Dean Z. I know schools watch their yield rates, and Michigan is frequently resented for some of the YP-ing it is said to practice but stories like that go to show admissions are genuinely concerned about the kinds of people they let in (as opposed to paying attention to nothing beyond LSAT/GPA combo). I'm glad they aren't afraid to have the yield rate take a hit in exchange for weeding out tools.
Indeed. PWN'ing someone to their face is probably a good way to reject them even if you can't rescind an offer... which the law school probably reserves the right to do anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moonie

New

Post by moonie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:34 pm

awesomepossum wrote:That's awesome. If you have any questions, let me know!

I mailed the MAP application form 2 weeks ago, and I am pretty sure it should have been received. Am I supposed to get a confirmation email or something like that?

Thx!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:38 pm

to be honest I don't remember. If I were you I would wait a while....like a few weeks and if you don't get anything, give them a call. That same office is currently processing people signing up for courses for next semester so they're probably slightly on the busy side.

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:56 am

Alright guys! I'm mailing in my deposit tomorrow =)

Michigan 2012, feels like home already.

Dresden, AwesomePossum and others... I'll see you there. :mrgreen:

Is there a Michigan Law FB group?
Last edited by Anhimal on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:58 am

Anhimal wrote:Alright guys! I'm mailing in my deposit tomorrow =)

Yay, anhimal! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anhimal

New

Post by Anhimal » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:59 am

dresden doll wrote:

Yay, anhimal! :)
Haha, I was just shouting out to you...

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:17 am

dresden doll wrote:And speak of AutoAdmit threads, I just found an interesting thread related to Michigan. Not sure what to make of it.

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?threa ... forum_id=2
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that.

Sometimes, I really miss you Michigan people... except for Pk.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:49 am

Welcome, dude! Congrats! There is a facebook group, PM my ass!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 am

PKSebben wrote:

Welcome, dude! Congrats! There is a facebook group, PM my ass!
Your ass has a fb account?

I miss Xbox-ing with you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”