Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lawlcat

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Lawlcat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Any advice for me?

Torts with Horwitz
Criminal with West
Property with Miller

I remember West on the first day said that supplements were an utter waste of time and money and really strongly discouraged anyone from using them, which surprised me to some extent.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:29 pm

I agree with West but only think that statement holds true for his class. I mainly used an outline for his class and aced it. You don't really need anything else. Even the casebook. Just go to class, learn the MPC by heart, and get a good outline.

For Horwtiz, the Abrahams is supposed to be extremely helpful because she is big on policy, and it is packed with policy.

I don't know about Miller.

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Lawlcat wrote:Any advice for me?

Torts with Horwitz
Criminal with West
Property with Miller

I remember West on the first day said that supplements were an utter waste of time and money and really strongly discouraged anyone from using them, which surprised me to some extent.
my advice remains the same. professors don't ever want you to use supplements.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Merriweather wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:Any advice for me?

Torts with Horwitz
Criminal with West
Property with Miller

my advice remains the same. professors don't ever want you to use supplements.

I agree. As long as they help me learn the material and get better grades, I will happily use supplements and don't give a flying fakk if profs like them or not. Besides, profs write the freaking things!

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 am

tl wrote:I agree with West but only think that statement holds true for his class. I mainly used an outline for his class and aced it. You don't really need anything else. Even the casebook. Just go to class, learn the MPC by heart, and get a good outline.

For Horwtiz, the Abrahams is supposed to be extremely helpful because she is big on policy, and it is packed with policy.

I don't know about Miller.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:21 am

tl wrote:I agree with West but only think that statement holds true for his class. I mainly used an outline for his class and aced it. You don't really need anything else. Even the casebook. Just go to class, learn the MPC by heart, and get a good outline.
What's MPC? What outline (someone else's or commercial, and if commercial, which one)?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:12 am

awesomepossum wrote:
I agree. As long as they help me learn the material and get better grades, I will happily use supplements and don't give a flying fakk if profs like them or not. Besides, profs write the freaking things!
This.

MLaw11

New

Post by MLaw11 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:21 am

Go State wrote:
What's MPC? What outline (someone else's or commercial, and if commercial, which one)?
The Model Penal Code. And I agree with tl, I really don't think a supplement is necessary for West's Crim. I didn't use anyone else's outline, but it could be helpful. IMO, what you want for that class is a personalized copy of the MPC--one that you stripped of all the confusing and unnecessary language and sections, organized in the way that makes the most sense to you.

And about the Miller property thing above: I didn't have him and know little about his class, but I've never heard anyone criticize Gilbert's Property, regardless of the professor they had.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 am

Is it ok to have the 3rd ed vs the 4th ed for Contracts E&E, and the 2nd ed v the 3rd ed for Property E&E? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

tingles wrote:Is it ok to have the 3rd ed vs the 4th ed for Contracts E&E, and the 2nd ed v the 3rd ed for Property E&E? Thanks!
I probably wouldn't do that. It might not matter much, but then again it might. There will probably be some new additional cases in the new edition of the book, as well as possibly some new discussion in light of developments of the law.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:19 pm

tingles wrote:Is it ok to have the 3rd ed vs the 4th ed for Contracts E&E, and the 2nd ed v the 3rd ed for Property E&E? Thanks!
that should be fine.

Alexandria, I think he's talking about the E&E

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:24 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
that should be fine.

Alexandria, I think he's talking about the E&E
Ohhhhh right. I was thinking textbooks.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Merriweather wrote:[for every class, get an emanuel's/gilbert's.
Necessary to get emanuels/gilberts if there's outlines on lexis? Thanks so much for the input so far! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:47 pm

tingles wrote:
Necessary to get emanuels/gilberts if there's outlines on lexis? Thanks so much for the input so far! :)

those lexis outlines aren't bad...but they aren't as detailed.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
tingles wrote:

those lexis outlines aren't bad...but they aren't as detailed.

So having those commercial outlines would be helpful? Thanks for the speedy replies!

waahrus

New

Post by waahrus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 pm

sure, comm outlines are helpful but i never bothered with them because student-made outlines based on same class/prof were way superior.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:05 pm

I agree, commercial outlines probably are not as helpful as student made ones that are tailored to each professor. However, buying case briefs keyed to your casebook is a HUGE timesaver.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Alexandria wrote:
I probably wouldn't do that. It might not matter much, but then again it might. There will probably be some new additional cases in the new edition of the book, as well as possibly some new discussion in light of developments of the law.
there hasnt been development in property law since about 1066.

on edit: case briefs are useful only for cold calls

toobusy

New

Post by toobusy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Is anyone willing to access an electronic pdf from the law library and email it to me? I attend another school in the NY area.

Please message me and I’ll give you the details. Thanks.

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:59 pm

Can't you just get case briefs off of lexis or westlaw? (I'm must thinking of ways to save money!) Or are the ones you buy keyed for your text better?

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:34 pm

tingles wrote:Can't you just get case briefs off of lexis or westlaw? (I'm must thinking of ways to save money!) Or are the ones you buy keyed for your text better?
You can get the case overview and headnotes off lexis, which are pretty good. I haven't used the canned case briefs but I heard they were written by student and that made me question why buy them when all the most important 1L case briefs are online for free.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Are there any recommended supplements for Con Law with Larsen (besides Chemerinski)? (I am thinking about buying Gilbert or Emanuels so I can have something to skim over quickly but I'm not sure if this is the type of class where either of those would be helpful?)

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Con Law was the one 1L class I didn't use any kind of Gilbert's/Emanuels for. I did have one, but it wasn't helpful at all. It's such a prof-centric class... what and how they teach you. In fact, it was the class I used supplements least for, though I did use Chemerinsky at the end of the semester while reviewing for the final. Of course, it was also the best-taught class I had as a 1L, so that may be why.

I hear Larsen is tough, which is a good thing.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Alexandria wrote: I hear Larsen is tough, which is a good thing.
Why is that a good thing?... Like most profs, she seems to max out her curve on the high side each year for the last 6 years or something like that.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I don't mean tough in terms of grading. I mean in terms of how she conducts class. Or at least con law. I've heard the opposite about her crim pro. I find that the profs who are demanding are the ones I learn the most from.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”