Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Chewbacca Defense
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Alright, so why don't we met at 7 by the main tower of the LC (aka door D)

fbuda
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby fbuda » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Are you guys okay with me joining for something to eat tonight? I've been in Ann Arbor for a week now and losing my mind with nothing to do. I'm not in the LC, but I only live like a 5 minute walk away so I could easily meet up there.

No promises about polos or blackberry ownage, though.

vyelps
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vyelps » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm

i'd like to join this dinner group as well, if that's ok.

User avatar
e_ticket
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby e_ticket » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Perfect, see you all at 7 under the archway.

User avatar
Lawlcat
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Lawlcat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
seychelles wrote:In the Michigan Union, easily walkable from the LC.

And I live in the LC too! I'm up for eating anything, anybody have any preferences?


Nope, I'm sure we can find something by wandering around aimlessly and picking a place out of frustration....yeah, I like that plan

And everyone invited.....as long as they can answer riddles


If there are any 2Ls or others with knowledge of Ann Arbor, I of course defer to them. But so far, this is what I know:

+ To the south, there are a few restaurants...burger place, burrito place, pizza, Mediterranean, maybe something else that I can't remember.

+ To the north, there's a ton of places. A few Japanese places, Thai, and all kinds of stuff.

+ I believe there's also that University place with fast food.

Everyone's more than welcome, of course. Fbuda too. Just as long as you don't start talking about making billables or bringing more business into the firm or something. Then we'll throw you in the river for your own good.

fbuda
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby fbuda » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Lawlcat wrote:
Everyone's more than welcome, of course. Fbuda too. Just as long as you don't start talking about making billables or bringing more business into the firm or something. Then we'll throw you in the river for your own good.


Damn it. I just got the Rosetta Stone for Lawyers and it seems its all gone to waste.

seychelles
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby seychelles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:Alright, so why don't we met at 7 by the main tower of the LC (aka door D)


Main tower of the LC, that's the front entrance to the lobby right? where we checked in?

User avatar
Lawlcat
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Lawlcat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:03 pm

seychelles wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote:Alright, so why don't we met at 7 by the main tower of the LC (aka door D)


Main tower of the LC, that's the front entrance to the lobby right? where we checked in?



I think our Wookiee friend refers to the spot here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 20&iwloc=A

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Does it matter if our casebook has some highlighting? Is it better to be new or is used alright?

User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:30 pm

I have Whitman for Torts and on her syllabus it says she adjusts grades for class participation. This runs contrary to everything I've ever been told about law school grades... so if any of you have taken her, do you know if class participation really affects your grades?

Merriweather
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Merriweather » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I think it's worth it. If you work hard and you're on top of your shit.....OCI and callbacks and all of that can still be a really good time.


yes. this is what we went to this school to avoid - the top 15% getting everything model.

mr.undroppable
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby mr.undroppable » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Anhimal wrote:I have Whitman for Torts and on her syllabus it says she adjusts grades for class participation. This runs contrary to everything I've ever been told about law school grades... so if any of you have taken her, do you know if class participation really affects your grades?


Do you really expect a professor to tell you not to raise your hand or be prepared for class?

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Am at orientation leader training. I have half of J. If you are in J and one of your leaders is female, that's me!

Also another plug for coming on tomorrow's walk to the arb to meet my cute Golden Retriever!

Re: q above
It is very common for profs to say they consider participation. This is usually no more than one-third of a letter grade; so a plus or minus. The consensus is that this is only taken or given in extreme circumstances. Don't try to get it by talking a lot without anything valuable to say.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm

PS, I was wrong when I said there are no orientation assignments. 2/3 of you will have to read for your Intro to Law School Classroom sessions.

User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Alexandria wrote:PS, I was wrong when I said there are no orientation assignments. 2/3 of you will have to read for your Intro to Law School Classroom sessions.


Ahh! Thanks for telling us and do you know where we can locate?!

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Anhimal wrote:
Alexandria wrote:PS, I was wrong when I said there are no orientation assignments. 2/3 of you will have to read for your Intro to Law School Classroom sessions.


Ahh! Thanks for telling us and do you know where we can locate?!


don't worry now. You'll get it at your registration session. I'm sure it won't be bad. Efgh doesn't have to read.

Flowah
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Flowah » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Haha! Score one for G.

safari
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby safari » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Can you all believe this actually starts tomorrow?!??! :o

Other than our laptops, photo id and cash, is there anything we need to bring?

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 pm

see you kids EARLY tomorrow morning. Too early, if you ask me!

Flowah
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Flowah » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:56 pm

safari wrote:Can you all believe this actually starts tomorrow?!??! :o

Other than our laptops, photo id and cash, is there anything we need to bring?

I don't believe you need your laptops unless you really really want to go to that laptop configuration session. Though I don't see why you would if you've already got your internet and such working.

User avatar
Lawlcat
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Lawlcat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 pm

Flowah wrote:
safari wrote:Can you all believe this actually starts tomorrow?!??! :o

Other than our laptops, photo id and cash, is there anything we need to bring?

I don't believe you need your laptops unless you really really want to go to that laptop configuration session. Though I don't see why you would if you've already got your internet and such working.


Where do we get the orientation info again?

dlindqui
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby dlindqui » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:09 pm

...
Last edited by dlindqui on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

safari
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby safari » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:13 pm

http://admit.law.umich.edu/admittedstud ... edule.aspx

(you'll have to log in to the admitted students site)

On the laptops--I thought the configuration session was where they installed the software we need for exams, interfacing with the law school, etc?

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Is it on the website for new admits? Or in your email? If not, it will be in the packet you get when you go to your check-in/registration session.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:14 pm

safari wrote:http://admit.law.umich.edu/admittedstudents/markyourcalendar/orientation/fall/Pages/FallOrientationSchedule.aspx

(you'll have to log in to the admitted students site)

On the laptops--I thought the configuration session was where they installed the software we need for exams, interfacing with the law school, etc?


Yeah, they do. You can download it from the website and do it on your own, though. But if you feel like going, they will give you a flash drive with the stuff on it and walk you through it. And you can keep the Michigan Law flash drive.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest