Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Erie Doctrine

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Erie Doctrine » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:37 am

vyelps wrote:two stupid questions:
1. what do you mean "gunning for an H?"
and
2. What exactly is covered in the legal practice course?

1. Honors

2. Basically it's a course in the practical aspects of lawyering - researching, writing memos, etc., etc.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:53 am

It's very useful, honestly, for when you actually have to work in the summers. You get an introduction to the types of writing lawyers do, so that when you have a summer assignment to write a memo or part of a brief, you know wtf they are talking about.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 am

Erie Doctrine wrote:
and

1. Honors

2. Basically it's a course in the practical aspects of lawyering - researching, writing memos, etc., etc.

so how does grading work then? is LP not the same as the regular core classes (A, A-, B+, etc)? where does honors come in?

Go State

Postby Go State » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:04 am

snotrocket wrote:
Go State wrote:How many credits does a Michigan 1L take? I was looking through the required first year curriculum online and it shows classes that add up to 29 credits and then a 1L elective class (so around 31-33 credits?). Seems like a huge 1L required curriculum when the requirement is only 82 credits to graduate..

It's not that bad, but it is a little nasty second semester, because you have the elective on top of about 50% more work in legal practice (which stupidly is graded at 3 credits first term and only 2 the second -- exactly the opposite of the actual workload). The upside is 12-13 credit semesters for the last two years though, so that's nice.

When I first saw that there was only 82 required credits and found out I was going to transfer in 30 credits I thought I was going to be ahead of most normal 2Ls being that I only need 13 credits a semester to graduate. After seeing the 1L required curriculum it sounds like I am a little behind normal 2Ls in terms of credits, which is surprising. I wonder why Michigan doesn't spread out their 1L with less credits to balance things out all 3 years.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:05 am

vyelps wrote:
Erie Doctrine wrote:
and

1. Honors

so how does grading work then? is LP not the same as the regular core classes (A, A-, B+, etc)? where does honors come in?

No, it's pass/fail. But some percentage... maybe top 20%... get H (honors).

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am

Go State wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
Go State wrote:How many credits does a Michigan 1L take? I was looking through the required first year curriculum online and it shows classes that add up to 29 credits and then a 1L elective class (so around 31-33 credits?). Seems like a huge 1L required curriculum when the requirement is only 82 credits to graduate..

It's not that bad, but it is a little nasty second semester, because you have the elective on top of about 50% more work in legal practice (which stupidly is graded at 3 credits first term and only 2 the second -- exactly the opposite of the actual workload). The upside is 12-13 credit semesters for the last two years though, so that's nice.

When I first saw that there was only 82 required credits and found out I was going to transfer in 30 credits I thought I was going to be ahead of most normal 2Ls being that I only need 13 credits a semester to graduate. After seeing the 1L required curriculum it sounds like I am a little behind normal 2Ls in terms of credits, which is surprising. I wonder why Michigan doesn't spread out their 1L with less credits to balance things out all 3 years.

Electives in the past have been 2 or 3 credit classes... so 1Ls ended up with 31 or 32 credits by the end of the year. If you look at this year's schedule, though, only 2 credit classes are options for 1L electives. On top of that, someone in this thread was saying that they had heard that taking an elective at all will be optional for this year's 1Ls.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:48 am

Signing my lease at Woodbury today!

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:53 am

vidhartha wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:The Y is like 19 a month a believe. Much better than any of the campus gyms.

Thats pretty good, how are the facilities?

Very good facilities. I can only attest to the CCRB since I only go there (not that I've heard good things about the NCRB/IM Building) but it get's way too packed around certain times of the day (noon-2), 5-7ish. Sometimes I've waited 15-20 minutes to get on a bike or get a run in. The free weight room is pretty small and messy. I think they've renumbered some of the weights too. I swear two "50lb" dumbbells have felt different in my hands and some dumbbells have "disappeared" and new ones have "appeared". If I didn't live so close to it, I'd probably get a membership at the Y.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:07 am

is the IMRB the closest gym to the LC?

tl

Postby tl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:37 pm

vyelps wrote:is the IMRB the closest gym to the LC?

They're about equal distance IMO. The IM Building might be a little closer. I think the CCRB has more and nicer machines and is better for people watching while working out. However, it's in the basement of the CCRB and there are no windows to the outside which can make it a bit depressing. The IM Building has huge windows that are always open. It's very airy if that makes sense. I like them both, but if I had a choice, I would choose the CCRB.

tetrisd

Postby tetrisd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Anyone still looking for a place to live for the year? Got an extra bedroom in a house with a couple of other 2Ls. Send me a message if interested in details.

tetrisd

Postby tetrisd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:09 pm

BrianEno wrote:
snotrocket wrote:

IMO unless you're gunning for an H, LP should never require more than 1 study hour a week, maybe 6-7 hours for the night before when you have a memo due the next day.

Unless you get Falon, in which case double those hours.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:38 pm

I just talked to the insurance people, and for some reason, Japanese national health care doesn't qualify as "credible coverage" for purposes of keeping conditions from becoming "pre-existing". It's not quite a FML, but it's a pain. This is just the last nail in the coffin of private insurance, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I had a related question: how good is this "University Health Service" that we all apparently get during terms? I know they don't cover medication expenses, but do they have a pharmacy where they tend to sell stuff cheaply? How feasible is it to just use the UHS and not buy supplementary insurance? (Or alternately just buy it for the summer?)

I guess I'm just trying to picture what this place looks like. At my tiny liberal arts college, the "Wellness Center" was like a couple rooms where a doctor or nurse could maybe give you some aspirin or suggest you go to a clinic or hospital. Michigan's a lot bigger than that, though. Is this like a full-blown hospital kind of thing?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:59 pm

It's not a hospital, in that there's no in-patient care. But it's a huge clinic with many different departments that can provide you with just about anything you need.

I'm sure you know the problem with no insurance... nothing to cover any hospitalization, major disease, pregnancy, etc.

But for everyday care, you will probably have everything you need at UHS.

There is a pharmacy, but I'm not sure if the pricing is cheaper than at other pharmacies.

BrianEno

Postby BrianEno » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Little birdie tells me eiw bids came out. I'm hearing some wacky results. What's the word?

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:05 pm

Soo...anyone in AA want to bulk up their good karma lending a recent grad a hand tomorrow? :) This should be pretty minor as moves go: I just need to get my boxes and a few pieces of furniture over to a friend's house in Kerrytown (from which real movers will take over, courtesy of her firm). I've already begged Alexandria's help, but many hands make light work or whatever.

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 pm

BrianEno wrote:Little birdie tells me eiw bids came out. I'm hearing some wacky results. What's the word?

xo has a nice list going already (LinkRemoved)

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Alexandria wrote:It's not a hospital, in that there's no in-patient care. But it's a huge clinic with many different departments that can provide you with just about anything you need.

I'm sure you know the problem with no insurance... nothing to cover any hospitalization, major disease, pregnancy, etc.

But for everyday care, you will probably have everything you need at UHS.

There is a pharmacy, but I'm not sure if the pricing is cheaper than at other pharmacies.

Thanks!

Go State

Postby Go State » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 pm

MLaw11 wrote:
BrianEno wrote:Little birdie tells me eiw bids came out. I'm hearing some wacky results. What's the word?

I'm not to happy about the interview schedule (although I didn't get as screwed at the guy who started the XOXO thread)... they originally said to expect 18-21 interviews, I figured I would at least end up with 15. How do they determine schedules (i.e. how is it possible for some people to get 20+ interview, while others only get 11?)?

Postby 06072010 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Go State wrote:
MLaw11 wrote:

I'm not to happy about the interview schedule (although I didn't get as screwed at the guy who started the XOXO thread)... they originally said to expect 18-21 interviews, I figured I would at least end up with 15. How do they determine schedules (i.e. how is it possible for some people to get 20+ interview, while others only get 11?)?

They run your bids through a computer. So those who are bid pwned likely bid on popular firms or for firms that didn't have a ton of interview slots. From looking at the bids it looks like people went really conservative and those middle-range firms got swamped. I'd start a mass-mail list like yesterday to hit those firms you really wanted to interview with at OCI, but didn't get a chance to.

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 pm

PKSebben wrote:
Go State wrote:
MLaw11 wrote:

They run your bids through a computer. So those who are bid pwned likely bid on popular firms or for firms that didn't have a ton of interview slots. From looking at the bids it looks like people went really conservative and those middle-range firms got swamped. I'd start a mass-mail list like yesterday to hit those firms you really wanted to interview with at OCI, but didn't get a chance to.

Yeah, I got my bids for all the top firms, but not all of the middle/bottom.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Last edited by XxSpyKEx on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Sorry to change the topic real quick here guys, but are we still on for Chipotle tomorrow? And what time? (Between 12-2pm) Thanks. And sorry to hear about the OCI bids, that definitely is not good for anyone.

tetrisd

Postby tetrisd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 pm

12 interviews. About half of them were "top picks" for me, and the other half were low range picks. About 6 firms I have little or no chance at getting into (Median GPA is about .2-.3 higher than my GPA). The other half I might. So my prospects are limited to about 6 possible callbacks, a fraction or none of which I am expecting to receive. My GPA is right around average.

It doesn't help that my 3rd and 5th choice bids both dropped out after bidding but before OCI schedules were released.

Postby 06072010 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:32 pm

vidhartha wrote:Sorry to change the topic real quick here guys, but are we still on for Chipotle tomorrow? And what time? (Between 12-2pm) Thanks. And sorry to hear about the OCI bids, that definitely is not good for anyone.

I up for burrito club, just let me know what time!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”