Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ElmGrant

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby ElmGrant » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 pm

PrudenceNeverLied wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:
PrudenceNeverLied wrote:Does everyone live three blocks from the law school, or do some folks live in Ypsilanti and other surrounding communities?

I'm commuting from about 45-50 miles out. Actually looking forward to it as the drive will be 30 min shorter each way from my work commute the last 4 years.

Whoa. I guess Ypsilanti isn't that far. I admire the positive frame you have put on this. Audio books?

Also helps that I'll be living rent free. I don't think it will be bad. I just plan on sticking to my routine, leave home at 630, leave AA at 8 or 9. I've driven it during the day when traffic is at its worst, and I've always managed under an hour. I don't plan on commuting at times when traffic will be heavy.

PrudenceNeverLied

Postby PrudenceNeverLied » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:00 pm

ElmGrant wrote:
PrudenceNeverLied wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:
PrudenceNeverLied wrote:Does everyone live three blocks from the law school, or do some folks live in Ypsilanti and other surrounding communities?

I'm commuting from about 45-50 miles out. Actually looking forward to it as the drive will be 30 min shorter each way from my work commute the last 4 years.

Whoa. I guess Ypsilanti isn't that far. I admire the positive frame you have put on this. Audio books?

Also helps that I'll be living rent free. I don't think it will be bad. I just plan on sticking to my routine, leave home at 630, leave AA at 8 or 9. I've driven it during the day when traffic is at its worst, and I've always managed under an hour. I don't plan on commuting at times when traffic will be heavy.

Free rent is double bonus time.

PrudenceNeverLied

Postby PrudenceNeverLied » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Alexandria wrote:I live 3 mi from school. It's not bad... we wanted to get something nicer (for the same price) than we could get right near school. I can bike if I want, though I hardly ever do. Mostly just drive and find street parking. On long days, my husband takes me and picks me up.

Do you have a problem finding street parking? Any pointers? Feel free to PM if you don't want to advertise trade secrets.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Has anyone paid for this semester yet? I'm sick of actually having money, I want to TRULY be in debt already...

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm

USC2009 wrote:Has anyone paid for this semester yet? I'm sick of actually having money, I want to TRULY be in debt already...

can't wait, it means loan refund check :)

safari

Postby safari » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:
summertimechi wrote:do i need my own printer?

who's the best company to get a cable/internet package from (i live right next to the law quad)?

Comcast. Wait until the first week in September. I got a really sweet deal last year.

What kind of deal are we talking? I was looking at the $99 for cable/internet/phone deal because you can lock that price in for 2 years (though i don't really want their phone service--but it seems to be cheaper than the cable/internet bundles which go to full price ~$120 after 6 months....)

topsome

Postby topsome » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:39 pm

When do we get our loans dispersed to us?

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 pm

safari wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:
summertimechi wrote:do i need my own printer?

who's the best company to get a cable/internet package from (i live right next to the law quad)?

Comcast. Wait until the first week in September. I got a really sweet deal last year.

What kind of deal are we talking? I was looking at the $99 for cable/internet/phone deal because you can lock that price in for 2 years (though i don't really want their phone service--but it seems to be cheaper than the cable/internet bundles which go to full price ~$120 after 6 months....)

I got digital cable with HBO and one other premium channel ( I believe it was Starz) + internet for like 80. Got this in September and it lasted all year until I moved out in April and canceled it. Price never went up. Hoping I can get the same thing again this year.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:I got digital cable with HBO and one other premium channel ( I believe it was Starz) + internet for like 80. Got this in September and it lasted all year until I moved out in April and canceled it. Price never went up. Hoping I can get the same thing again this year.

I can be without cable for a few weeks with that deal!

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm

who needs cable when you have the internet

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Merriweather wrote:who needs cable when you have the internet

Well, me. But my Blurays/DVDs will hold me over til I get it.

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:08 pm

USC2009 wrote:
Merriweather wrote:who needs cable when you have the internet

Well, me. But my Blurays/DVDs will hold me over til I get it.

download new episodes like i do

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 pm

I just read through the entire "Michigan Law Students Taking Questions" thread and I am [i]still[i] confused about the parking situation. I am going to live in the Lawyers' Club, and I don't plan on using my car much, if at all. Would current students recommend renting a longer-term parking spot for the semester, or just parking for free on the street (in the neighborhood behind the law school) and moving my car periodically?

And as for long-term parking, I saw "storage parking" mentioned somewhere for students who won't need access to their cars much. Where can I find more information on this?

Lindsey_saurus

Postby Lindsey_saurus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 pm

And as for long-term parking, I saw "storage parking" mentioned somewhere for students who won't need access to their cars much. Where can I find more information on this?

http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/students.php

tl

Postby tl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:07 am

spencer26 wrote:I just read through the entire "Michigan Law Students Taking Questions" thread and I am [i]still[i] confused about the parking situation. I am going to live in the Lawyers' Club, and I don't plan on using my car much, if at all. Would current students recommend renting a longer-term parking spot for the semester, or just parking for free on the street (in the neighborhood behind the law school) and moving my car periodically?

I, personally, would just park on the street for free. I know plenty of people who did. In fact, I know LC residents who originally bought UMich parking passes but ended up just parking on the streets for free. I just don't see the point of paying for something that you can get for free with a bit of inconvenience especially when the LC is really expensive and makes your budget a little tight. That being said, some people need a little more security, and if that's you, then your best bet would be to rent a spot for the school year. Check the parking section for ads on Craigslist. I'm looking for something now, but there's absolutely nothing close to my apartment. There's a ton for parking close to the law school though. The prices range from $50 - $100 a month.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:08 am

You really think living in the LC makes the budget tight? I thought it was pretty generous...

Go State

Postby Go State » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

tl wrote: The prices range from $50 - $100 a month.

The cost to simply park your car in A2 is insane.

tl

Postby tl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 am

just a girl wrote:You really think living in the LC makes the budget tight? I thought it was pretty generous...

The LC is just really expensive. I want to say that it was close to $1275/month last year. I'm living in a brand new building next year, and I'm going to SAVE money. And I also guess it depends on what you're used to. If you are coming straight from undergrad, then it's probably not that bad, because it's a similar budget. But if you're coming from the real world where you had a lot more disposable income, then it's hard out there. If I had the choice, I would do it again though. It was a great experience IMO.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:06 am

Did anyone else get this cryptic email message yesterday? Know what it means?

"You have been subscribed to lawofficial-may12 with the email address "_________@umich.edu"

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to leave-lawofficial-may12-6735079X@listse ... .umich.edu "

BrianEno

Postby BrianEno » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:34 am

tralinds wrote:Did anyone else get this cryptic email message yesterday? Know what it means?

"You have been subscribed to lawofficial-may12 with the email address "_________@umich.edu"

To unsubscribe, send a blank email to leave-lawofficial-may12-6735079X@listse ... .umich.edu "

You are now on the law school's listserv for official announcements.

Regarding the LC, it's so expensive that financial aid bases their cost-of-attendance on it, which is why it can be a stretch for anyone living in it. The 10,600$ in room/board that financial services allots is also the exact price a single room in the Lawyers Club.

If you manage to find a cheaper place that is convenient, take it. However, don't take it as license to take out the full 10,600$. I hope entrance loan counseling actually taught you about over-borrowing. It's easy to overlook a couple thousand in loans when you're taking out $180,000, I guess.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:06 am

Hey summer starters, is the parking lot across the street (by the Public Policy school) already closed? I think they're building the new building there.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:11 am

Alexandria wrote:Hey summer starters, is the parking lot across the street (by the Public Policy school) already closed? I think they're building the new building there.

Yep. There was a big machine ripping a trench in the ground at the State Street end of it a week or so ago, and it's all fenced off.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:24 am

Cool... thanks!

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 pm

The money allotted for rent+utilities+food on the student budget is $11,386, so about $700 more than the LC. I'm assuming that will cover the meals that the meal plan won't cover. I think it seems like an okay budget, not luxurious, but not pauper-level either. I'm sort of looking forward to living off-campus my 2L and 3L years though, just to save a little bit of money.

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:45 pm

just a girl wrote:The money allotted for rent+utilities+food on the student budget is $11,386, so about $700 more than the LC. I'm assuming that will cover the meals that the meal plan won't cover. I think it seems like an okay budget, not luxurious, but not pauper-level either. I'm sort of looking forward to living off-campus my 2L and 3L years though, just to save a little bit of money.

Wow, that’s thinking pretty far ahead. All I'm thinking about is how I'm going to enjoy the LC this year and how I'm totally going to prank the prickly RA with a bra bomb or something, and he'll be like "Chewbaccaaaa Defennnnnnseeeeeeeeeee!!!!!" Yeah, how’s that for an ice breaker and community building?

And before anyone corrects me, I know there aren’t any RAs at the dorm, that’s why as soon as I move in I’m just going to designate a person on my floor as “the RA” and address him/her as such. So like if I’m having some beers with buddies in my room and he/she comes by I'll make everyone hide their drinks.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”