Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
vidhartha
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vidhartha » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:04 am

Aug 18 is civ pro final, he's trying some new method for finals. Two parts - multiple choice and short answer closed book in class and take home essay. Took a look at his lone old exam and its a lot of policy questions. (what rules of frcp would you change and why? <-- WTF)

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:10 am

PKSebben wrote:
USC2009 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:The neighbors were eleventy college age punks who liked to blast music at 2am. I can't deal with that shit. This seemed really uncommon and I just got a bad draw for a town home. I don't want to call the cops on some kids that are like 19 (Woodbury's suggestion) so my wife and got a house a couple miles away instead. Nobody gets arrested. I get peace and quiet.


Oh, yeah, that would drive me nuts. Good call. I really hope that doesn't happen to me, but I'm guessing I won't have much time to figure it out since my lease starts the 10th and undergrads don't start til around the 6th (or so I've been told)... meaning my 30 day opt-out is over 4 days after they start.


I seriously would not worry. I really believe it was like 1 in 100 chance I got stuck like that. The neighborhood for the most part is pretty damn quiet. And I'm quite persnickety about noise to boot.


Well, that's good. I've gotten somewhat used to noise - my last apartment was so noisy I couldn't sleep without my fan on right next to my head. Living above a DJ, a loud street near downtown L.A., pretty close to (what we thought was) a brothel and (what we knew for sure was) a drug dealer. Good times.

Then again, too much noise and I get angry. And honestly, I'm not a good person when I'm angry. I'm usually very chill though.

malcolminthemiddle
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby malcolminthemiddle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 am

Are we allowed to go to the sesquicentennial celebrations?

Guest of honor, chief justice... exciting!!!

http://www.law.umich.edu/alumniandfrien ... lcome.aspx

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:52 am

Wow, 150 years. I was at USC for the 125th celebration, and now Michigan for the 150th. Sweet.

User avatar
Go State
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Go State » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:32 am

Merriweather wrote:
Go State wrote:Anyone find leasing a place in Ann Arbor for next year a pain in the ass? I am trying to sign a lease and for any places that I found that weren't complete dumps seem to have leases that end in the first week of September (since UG doesn't start until September 9th -- no idea if that's accurate but what some place told me). Law school start 8/31 and early interview week orientation starts 8/17, which is followed by orientation. So ideally I wanted to get moved in 8/14 weekend but am finding myself either with the option of leasing a place that sucks or trying to get a hold of an existing tenant and trying to get them to move out early and conveying that to the leasing office (i.e. I will be buying out the last couple weeks of the existing tenant's lease).

What is everyone else on here doing for housing to cover the first few weeks before anyone wants to lease out anything?
(I'm taking a wild guess here and assuming that 1L orientation begins 8/24 along with transfer orientation.)


d00d, sorry that the perfect lease doesn't exist. if you want to move in early, visualize a $600 fee. a2 leases are standardized, and people began looking last October for apartments.


Yeah, earlier today my buddy, who went to UG at Michigan, informed me about how most leases in AA were signed last year. It looks like I'll likely be commuting from East Lansing to AA for early interview week (8/17), orientation week (8/24), and possibly even the first week of law school and then moving in the 2nd weekend after classes start (9/4) :(

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:48 am

So, I had Croley for Civ Pro, but it seems like he's doing your final differently. Ours was open book for everything... MC, short answer, long answer, essay. I think just about everyone in my section would have agreed that it was the craziest exam we had ever had. Mainly in terms of the fact that it seemed clearly written for people NOT to be able to finish it. And because there were so many questions, a fair number of them focused on really minor details. I did pretty well, but I chalk that up to: (1) being a generally quick test-taker, and (2) having an amazing outline written by someone who had won the Book Award in the class before me that I could control F during the exam for a few random ass tidbits that most people wouldn't even have in their notes, much less outlines.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am

Go State wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
Go State wrote:Anyone find leasing a place in Ann Arbor for next year a pain in the ass? I am trying to sign a lease and for any places that I found that weren't complete dumps seem to have leases that end in the first week of September (since UG doesn't start until September 9th -- no idea if that's accurate but what some place told me). Law school start 8/31 and early interview week orientation starts 8/17, which is followed by orientation. So ideally I wanted to get moved in 8/14 weekend but am finding myself either with the option of leasing a place that sucks or trying to get a hold of an existing tenant and trying to get them to move out early and conveying that to the leasing office (i.e. I will be buying out the last couple weeks of the existing tenant's lease).

What is everyone else on here doing for housing to cover the first few weeks before anyone wants to lease out anything?
(I'm taking a wild guess here and assuming that 1L orientation begins 8/24 along with transfer orientation.)


d00d, sorry that the perfect lease doesn't exist. if you want to move in early, visualize a $600 fee. a2 leases are standardized, and people began looking last October for apartments.


Yeah, earlier today my buddy, who went to UG at Michigan, informed me about how most leases in AA were signed last year. It looks like I'll likely be commuting from East Lansing to AA for early interview week (8/17), orientation week (8/24), and possibly even the first week of law school and then moving in the 2nd weekend after classes start (9/4) :(


OK, I'm confused by this post. Are you a 1L or 2L? If you're a 1L, you don't need to be there for early interview week.

User avatar
BrianEno
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby BrianEno » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:14 am

Transfer.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:19 am

Aha... now I get it.

Welcome!

Merriweather
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Merriweather » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 am

1) civ pro kid - glannon guide and glannon E&E hth

2) if you live within a mile of the LS, especially south or east of it, you are going to have the loud college kids. my apt. does - parties until 4am every night. pretty annoying, but i don't sleep anyway.

scarletmuse
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby scarletmuse » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:17 am

1. Go State, are you set on being in the undergrad-y neighborhoods right around campus? If not, you should still be able to find a decent place. (Hell, my house is still available, cuz my landlady thought another law student was taking it). Focus on Craigslist and the UMich housing list. http://www.offcampus.housing.umich.edu/ ... stings.cfm. Don't rent sight-unseen if you can help it. Also, send a message to lawopen (are you on there yet?) seeing if anyone can put you up for EIW. Commuting's not THAT bad, but you'll be tired enough from saying the same bs over and over again.

2. Summer starters, good luck on your exams! I had Croley for Admin, and he does tend to like the "thinking" questions (i.e. policy and theory). Just stay loose – you'll be fine. :)

3. Whee the bar exam is behind me!!! There's definitely a non-zero possibility that I didn't pass, but this is still euphoric.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:21 am

Congrats Scarletmuse. Obligatory "I'm sure you did AWESOME" post. :) No seriously, you are hella smart, I'd be your first paycheck you passed. :)

User avatar
vidhartha
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vidhartha » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Alexandria wrote:So, I had Croley for Civ Pro, but it seems like he's doing your final differently. Ours was open book for everything... MC, short answer, long answer, essay. I think just about everyone in my section would have agreed that it was the craziest exam we had ever had. Mainly in terms of the fact that it seemed clearly written for people NOT to be able to finish it. And because there were so many questions, a fair number of them focused on really minor details. I did pretty well, but I chalk that up to: (1) being a generally quick test-taker, and (2) having an amazing outline written by someone who had won the Book Award in the class before me that I could control F during the exam for a few random ass tidbits that most people wouldn't even have in their notes, much less outlines.


From what I can gather, will be the same exam, just broken into two parts now, one closed book and one take home. Which sucks because the exam block is only 3 days and to have to spend 8-10 hours on a take home exam during that time will not be fun. He clearly stated he wants to make an exam where you look at it and say WTF. I like the guy, he just might be too smart for my own good.

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:59 pm

vidhartha wrote:From what I can gather, will be the same exam, just broken into two parts now, one closed book and one take home. Which sucks because the exam block is only 3 days and to have to spend 8-10 hours on a take home exam during that time will not be fun. He clearly stated he wants to make an exam where you look at it and say WTF. I like the guy, he just might be too smart for my own good.


That sounds awful.

User avatar
Go State
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Go State » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:45 pm

scarletmuse wrote:1. Go State, are you set on being in the undergrad-y neighborhoods right around campus? If not, you should still be able to find a decent place. (Hell, my house is still available, cuz my landlady thought another law student was taking it). Focus on Craigslist and the UMich housing list. http://www.offcampus.housing.umich.edu/ ... stings.cfm. Don't rent sight-unseen if you can help it. Also, send a message to lawopen (are you on there yet?) seeing if anyone can put you up for EIW. Commuting's not THAT bad, but you'll be tired enough from saying the same bs over and over again.


Yeah, I'm really set on trying to find something under a mile away because I like the thought of being able to walk to class. At the same time I wanted to be within 5-10 minutes from a bus stop that takes me to the law quad for when its cold or raining. What is lawopen? (I should have access to it by now being I was admitted over 2 weeks ago.)

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:46 pm

you might not get lawopen access to after orientation.

User avatar
vidhartha
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vidhartha » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 am

USC2009 wrote:
vidhartha wrote:From what I can gather, will be the same exam, just broken into two parts now, one closed book and one take home. Which sucks because the exam block is only 3 days and to have to spend 8-10 hours on a take home exam during that time will not be fun. He clearly stated he wants to make an exam where you look at it and say WTF. I like the guy, he just might be too smart for my own good.


That sounds awful.


I'm hoping its not as bad as it is being made out to be. There is also the great equalizer of everyone suffering the same which it seems to be. No one really has any idea of what is going on in class from the other students I've spoken to.

User avatar
Chewbacca Defense
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:31 am

vidhartha wrote:
I'm hoping its not as bad as it is being made out to be. There is also the great equalizer of everyone suffering the same which it seems to be. No one really has any idea of what is going on in class from the other students I've spoken to.


Ha, law school sounds like it's going to be awesome. It’s like the academic equivalent of being drunk, where you’re not quite sure what’s really going on but you’re stumbling through it and hopefully throw up a great essay or test once in a while and feel really good for a short time afterwards.

I’m not really a good student but I’m a great drunk, so things are starting to look up for me.

vyelps
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vyelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:50 am

I posted this in another thread but never got a reply. I'm posting it again here:

I'm an 0L who will be starting in a few weeks. Generally speaking, what kind of extra-curricular activities did you participate in and what were the time commitments during your 1L year? I'm strongly committed to doing well in the classroom and know that most students spend a the vast majority of their time studying. That being said, one of the selling points of Michigan was that students are active in various organizations. Does this only start after 1L? Also, what exactly is the process for making law review?

Thanks!

Merriweather
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Merriweather » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:52 am

Chewbacca Defense wrote:It’s like the academic equivalent of being drunk,


it's not just academic.

vyelps wrote:I posted this in another thread but never got a reply. I'm posting it again here:

I'm an 0L who will be starting in a few weeks. Generally speaking, what kind of extra-curricular activities did you participate in and what were the time commitments during your 1L year? I'm strongly committed to doing well in the classroom and know that most students spend a the vast majority of their time studying. That being said, one of the selling points of Michigan was that students are active in various organizations. Does this only start after 1L? Also, what exactly is the process for making law review?

Thanks!


some people are active during 1L. the most popular is helping out with preview weekend. some people do SFF. others do RSOs. i did nothing because i'm lazy and stuff.

law review involves an excruciatingly painful writing competition. the top handful get in without grade consideration, then the top handful of grades get in if they managed to not completely fail the writing, then they use a combined score.


given who i see made LR, if i could do it again, i would not have done the competition with my grades (below a 3.6.)

vyelps
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vyelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:06 pm

also, one of the other threads suggested that Michigan is overenrolled for the class of 2012. How big a problem will that be for those of us in that class in terms of 1. getting into courses that we want during our 2L and 3L years, and 2. during OCI? I know UVa overenrolled a year or two ago and a lot of students struggled to find summer jobs. sorry for posting so much. just a little anxious as the school year approaches.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Merriweather wrote:
given who i see made LR, if i could do it again, i would not have done the competition with my grades (below a 3.6.)


Why do you say that?

Merriweather
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Merriweather » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:17 pm

vyelps wrote:also, one of the other threads suggested that Michigan is overenrolled for the class of 2012. How big a problem will that be for those of us in that class in terms of 1. getting into courses that we want during our 2L and 3L years, and 2. during OCI? I know UVa overenrolled a year or two ago and a lot of students struggled to find summer jobs. sorry for posting so much. just a little anxious as the school year approaches.


dood you guys aren't getting jobs anyway.

starstruck393 wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
given who i see made LR, if i could do it again, i would not have done the competition with my grades (below a 3.6.)


Why do you say that?


the way they spin it, they make it sound like grades are so irrelevant and ANYONE can get on. it's true, the top 15(i think?)% of the writing samples get in without grades being considered. that's still 85% that are. and they go mostly to those with 3.6+. which is fine - the top students should get it - it was actually less this way before, but then you had 4.0 kids with no LR and were shut out of SCOTUS clerking unnecessarily.

but yeah, the effort vs. possibility of reward is very very low.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Merriweather wrote:
vyelps wrote:also, one of the other threads suggested that Michigan is overenrolled for the class of 2012. How big a problem will that be for those of us in that class in terms of 1. getting into courses that we want during our 2L and 3L years, and 2. during OCI? I know UVa overenrolled a year or two ago and a lot of students struggled to find summer jobs. sorry for posting so much. just a little anxious as the school year approaches.


dood you guys aren't getting jobs anyway.

starstruck393 wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
given who i see made LR, if i could do it again, i would not have done the competition with my grades (below a 3.6.)


Why do you say that?


the way they spin it, they make it sound like grades are so irrelevant and ANYONE can get on. it's true, the top 15(i think?)% of the writing samples get in without grades being considered. that's still 85% that are. and they go mostly to those with 3.6+. which is fine - the top students should get it - it was actually less this way before, but then you had 4.0 kids with no LR and were shut out of SCOTUS clerking unnecessarily.

but yeah, the effort vs. possibility of reward is very very low.


It was a beast of a write on, too. I didn't complete it. There goes my striver status.

User avatar
vidhartha
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vidhartha » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Merriweather wrote:
vyelps wrote:also, one of the other threads suggested that Michigan is overenrolled for the class of 2012. How big a problem will that be for those of us in that class in terms of 1. getting into courses that we want during our 2L and 3L years, and 2. during OCI? I know UVa overenrolled a year or two ago and a lot of students struggled to find summer jobs. sorry for posting so much. just a little anxious as the school year approaches.


dood you guys aren't getting jobs anyway.

starstruck393 wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
given who i see made LR, if i could do it again, i would not have done the competition with my grades (below a 3.6.)


Why do you say that?


the way they spin it, they make it sound like grades are so irrelevant and ANYONE can get on. it's true, the top 15(i think?)% of the writing samples get in without grades being considered. that's still 85% that are. and they go mostly to those with 3.6+. which is fine - the top students should get it - it was actually less this way before, but then you had 4.0 kids with no LR and were shut out of SCOTUS clerking unnecessarily.

but yeah, the effort vs. possibility of reward is very very low.


Well I guess that is kind of useful to know so you can focus on secondary journals if your grades aren't there. It is a bit disheartening though, they definitely do make it seem like anyone can get it.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest