Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:04 pm

PKSebben wrote:Don't buy books until you've been able to scour lawopen or take a look at what booktrader has.

I brief cases in the margins, I take notes in outline form (say 60-70 pages worth) and condense the outline in roughly 15-25 pages for the final. It's worked out well for me.


That's basically what I do. Well... I often grab a case summary from Lexis and put that in my notes. Then add a little something in class. Then refine it into an outline before finals, sometimes adding things from supplements.

I do tend to use two supplements for class, at least for the most typical classes... 1L classes or things like Jurisdiction or whatever. One outline-ish one to make sure I'm not missing anything, and one that's a book I can read cover to cover.

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:14 pm

I just packed my car's trunk full of DVDs, Blu Rays, t-shirts, sweatshirts, blankets, etc... It'll ship tonight or tomorrow night.

Excitement is dwindling for now... starting to get apprehensive...

User avatar
Chewbacca Defense
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm not flying out for another two weeks, but I know how you feel. I still haven't been assigned a new roommate, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get lonely just eating my crunchy surgery cereal, each bit echoing off the friendless walls of the empty room as if mocking my lack of roommate and staring at me in a blank accusatory look that penetrates my soul! I’m also worried if the other kids at law school will like my ninja turtles backpack or not. Apprehension level: high.

Also who is actually going to the blink concert on the 21st, and should we plan on meeting somewhere before to carpool? (shameless lack of car plug) Who ever can offer me a ride shall receive 1 piece of a map and legend has it that when combined with the other 4 pieces will lead to the greatest treasure in the world.

User avatar
tralinds
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tralinds » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:57 am

Just arrived in MI from Seattle! Drove cross country for 6 days, saw some sights, but now back with family and ready to move to Ann Arbor!! Good luck to those of you making the move within the next couple weeks.

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:41 am

We'll probably be two of the earliest people in A2, so let me know if you ever want someone to go check out the town with.

Oh, and I'll be at Blink.

vyelps
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby vyelps » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:56 am

sorry to re-ask this question, but how exactly do we find out our section on wolverine access?

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 pm

USC2009 wrote:We'll probably be two of the earliest people in A2, so let me know if you ever want someone to go check out the town with.

Oh, and I'll be at Blink.


We could do burrito club early. Or is that too gunnerish?

User avatar
itzjulz
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby itzjulz » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:24 pm

vyelps wrote:sorry to re-ask this question, but how exactly do we find out our section on wolverine access?


From what I gather, they'll post our class schedules (under Enrollment->My Class Schedule), and you'll be able to tell your section by which legal writing class you're in, and/or what classes you are registered for (if it doesn't say, you can match it up with this: http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSchedule/ClassSchedule.asp?term=1760)

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:51 pm

PKSebben wrote:
USC2009 wrote:We'll probably be two of the earliest people in A2, so let me know if you ever want someone to go check out the town with.

Oh, and I'll be at Blink.


We could do burrito club early. Or is that too gunnerish?


Burrito club, eh? Sounds good :mrgreen:

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:55 pm

itzjulz wrote:
vyelps wrote:sorry to re-ask this question, but how exactly do we find out our section on wolverine access?


From what I gather, they'll post our class schedules (under Enrollment->My Class Schedule), and you'll be able to tell your section by which legal writing class you're in, and/or what classes you are registered for (if it doesn't say, you can match it up with this: http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSchedule/ClassSchedule.asp?term=1760)


Yeah, that's right. They're not up yet, though. I was just looking at fall classes and noticed the 1L classes are still empty.

Hey 2Ls/3Ls, what are you taking?
Me:
ADR
Accntng
Sports Law
Fed Cts

Will only need 10 hrs in winter!!!

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Alexandria wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
vyelps wrote:sorry to re-ask this question, but how exactly do we find out our section on wolverine access?


From what I gather, they'll post our class schedules (under Enrollment->My Class Schedule), and you'll be able to tell your section by which legal writing class you're in, and/or what classes you are registered for (if it doesn't say, you can match it up with this: http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSchedule/ClassSchedule.asp?term=1760)


Yeah, that's right. They're not up yet, though. I was just looking at fall classes and noticed the 1L classes are still empty.

Hey 2Ls/3Ls, what are you taking?
Me:
ADR
Accntng
Sports Law
Fed Cts

Will only need 10 hrs in winter!!!


ADR
Evidence
Accounting (P/F)
Trademarks

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Is criminal procedure a separate class or merged together with criminal law?

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:03 pm

There are two crim pros separate from crim law.

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:06 pm

PKSebben wrote:There are two crim pros separate from crim law.


Thanks PK! Do you know if Crim Pros is a first semester/second semester/toss-up for 1Ls?

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Yeah, P/Fing Accntng too.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Crim Pro isn't a 1L class.. it's upper-level. There are actually three classes... you can take the first and the second over two semesters for a total of (I think) six hours or a "survey" class that's 3 or 4 hours and is just one semester.

User avatar
USC2009
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Just ordered an Asus EEE 1005 computer for class - supposedly up to 10.5 hours of battery life, but I've heard around the 8-ish range. Still, that's great, and seeing as my main laptop doesn't function without being plugged in, this should be a sweet combo.

...and I ordered 2001: A Space Odyssey on BluRay as well, since it was only 10 bucks.

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Alexandria wrote:Crim Pro isn't a 1L class.. it's upper-level. There are actually three classes... you can take the first and the second over two semesters for a total of (I think) six hours or a "survey" class that's 3 or 4 hours and is just one semester.


Great! That's one less thing to worry about 1L, thanks!

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm going to be living relatively close to the law school (10-15 block radius) and I was wondering what am I in for? Are the undergrads generally pretty okay to deal with or is it going to be a pain in the ass just trying to sleep on weekends? Given that the law school is right in the middle of central campus... do you guys ever get annoyed at being surrounded by 20,000 undergrads?

User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 pm

How many classes do we take per semester? Do we get to pick an elective first semester?

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Anhimal wrote:How many classes do we take per semester? Do we get to pick an elective first semester?


No, there's no elective first semester

1L year, you take three 4 credit classes, plus Legal Practice (essentially a 2 hr class, but first semester they give you an extra credit). And then second semester a 2 credit (I think that's the new policy... it has to be 2 instead of 2 or 3) elective on top of that.

User avatar
tl
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:23 am

Alexandria wrote:Hey 2Ls/3Ls, what are you taking?


I'm taking:

Portuguese
The Public Corporation
Bankruptcy
Water Wars/Great Lakes
Chapter 11 - Reorganization

We already received the syllabus for Corporation, and I'm already afraid of Pritchard. Though, there's only like 10 pages of reading per night for that class. I can handle that.

I think you're really going to like Accounting. Prof. D is hilarious, and it's a somewhat useful and interesting class. I just wish I didn't take it as a 1L.

User avatar
tl
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 am

Alexandria wrote:
Anhimal wrote:How many classes do we take per semester? Do we get to pick an elective first semester?


No, there's no elective first semester

1L year, you take three 4 credit classes, plus Legal Practice (essentially a 2 hr class, but first semester they give you an extra credit). And then second semester a 2 credit (I think that's the new policy... it has to be 2 instead of 2 or 3) elective on top of that.


I was told that the new policy is that the elective is optional next year. I don't know how true this is though.

User avatar
tl
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:29 am

topsome wrote:I'm going to be living relatively close to the law school (10-15 block radius) and I was wondering what am I in for? Are the undergrads generally pretty okay to deal with or is it going to be a pain in the ass just trying to sleep on weekends? Given that the law school is right in the middle of central campus... do you guys ever get annoyed at being surrounded by 20,000 undergrads?


1. 10-15 block radius is not close to the LS. That's FAR.
2. It depends on what direction you live in.
3. It depends on your tolerance for noise.

In summary, it just depends. The only time that I was really annoyed with undergrads was when they were having making out/ having sex in the Reading Room. Other than that, I like having them around. Mainly, because they're hot.

User avatar
Jeff Mangum
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Jeff Mangum » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:06 am

Do they allow undergrads in the reading room?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests