Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Merriweather

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Merriweather » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:33 pm

safari wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
safari wrote:Are any out-of-state residents switching their driver's license/vehicle registration to Michigan? I'm leaning towards doing it, so I won't have to deal with renewal/inspections/etc in my old state that I'm no longer tied to...but I'm curious if there are any major cons that I'm missing?

NO-FAULT INSURANCE

Forgive my ignorance, as i've never dealt with that before---what does it entail?

your own insurance company has to pay for your accident no matter who was at fault. you can't (except in very high damages instances) sue a negligent or reckless driver that hit you.

safari

Postby safari » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Merriweather wrote:
safari wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
safari wrote:Are any out-of-state residents switching their driver's license/vehicle registration to Michigan? I'm leaning towards doing it, so I won't have to deal with renewal/inspections/etc in my old state that I'm no longer tied to...but I'm curious if there are any major cons that I'm missing?

NO-FAULT INSURANCE

Forgive my ignorance, as i've never dealt with that before---what does it entail?

your own insurance company has to pay for your accident no matter who was at fault. you can't (except in very high damages instances) sue a negligent or reckless driver that hit you.

But in terms of being a "con" for switching, does it mean that premiums are significantly higher?

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:43 pm

safari wrote:
But in terms of being a "con" for switching, does it mean that premiums are significantly higher?

yes - my insurance tripled here from Florida

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:43 pm

safari wrote:
Merriweather wrote:
safari wrote:

they can go up more significantly when you are hit without fault, because then they have to pay instead of the other guy, even if he was drunk or something.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Merriweather wrote:your own insurance company has to pay for your accident no matter who was at fault. you can't (except in very high damages instances) sue a negligent or reckless driver that hit you.

Hahaha, that is the most retarded thing I've read in a long time. What idiot made that law?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Be sure to shop around for car insurance, though. We had Geico when we lived in Virginia, but it would have been crazy to stick with them in Michigan. We found that State Farm covered us in Michigan for not much more than what we had been paying in Virginia.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Alexandria wrote:Be sure to shop around for car insurance, though. We had Geico when we lived in Virginia, but it would have been crazy to stick with them in Michigan. We found that State Farm covered us in Michigan for not much more than what we had been paying in Virginia.
Oh, I have Geico now. I guess I should get a quote from State Farm.

safari

Postby safari » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have State Farm now...and I get a discount because I have renters with them too...I hope that works out in Michigan too...

As for getting license and registration switched over, do you think that's something that can be done in a day or so, if I get there a week before orientation? Or will I need more time?

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:41 am

safari wrote:Thanks for the info.

I have State Farm now...and I get a discount because I have renters with them too...I hope that works out in Michigan too...

As for getting license and registration switched over, do you think that's something that can be done in a day or so, if I get there a week before orientation? Or will I need more time?

Registration takes a few hours at Secretary of State office, its what they call the DMV out here. But if you have all the paperwork, won't be too much of a hassle. I never changed my license, you don't really have to, but if you do, I wouldn't think it would take much longer than the registration so long as you have the necessary documents.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am

When do we find out what classes we have/what section we're in? The book pricing thread makes me wanna get started.

SteveReich

Postby SteveReich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am

Last edited by SteveReich on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 am

Aeroplane wrote:When do we find out what classes we have/what section we're in? The book pricing thread makes me wanna get started.

trust me, it shouldn't.

also, all 0Ls, speaking of book pricing: DON'T BUY YOUR BOOKS. DON'T BUY SUPPLEMENTS. JUST DON'T DO IT.

wait until you are added to the [lawopen] listserv - this is the schoolwide discussion/buying&selling/whining about sandwiches listserv. you will be added during orientation. the beginning of the year is flooded with 1L casebooks and supplements. casebooks go for between 20 and 80 dollars, whereas they retail as much as 170. supplements 5-20 instead of 30-50. trust me.

oh, and as far as supplements... imo you need:
for every class: an emanuel's/gilbert's. because they do outline better than you. it's not changing.
torts: abraham's book, glannon's E&E
crim: ...?
con law: chemerinsky
contracts: the one guy. in the same series as abraham. CHIRELSTEIN. buy that.
civ pro: glannon E&E and glannon guide. this is the best supplement for any class.
property: ExamPro(if you have a prof. that does multiple choice - every prof but Schneider.) and Sprankling.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks guys.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am

thanks merri. any other current students around who want to agree/strongly support/make additions to merri's recommendations?

SteveReich

Postby SteveReich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 am

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:42 am

You probably don't need two supplements for every class. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but I just paid very close attention to the prof and got away without looking at supplements except to get a quick overview of the whole class while I was reviewing near the end of the semester.

The Glannon torts book is probably the worth 5x the price though. If you are lucky enough to have torts first semester definitely read way ahead in the supplement (following your syllabus) and try to do the practice exam questions in the back of the book before thanksgiving. This will give you an idea of what you are doing wrong/right and help you prepare for other class's finals as well. Obviously the answers in the back of the book are not enough for policy/prof. specific stuff, but they are great for practicing issue spotting and just teaching yourself not to get too hung up on any one topic - a problem some people seem to get really stuck on, especially first semester.

Good luck. I think the most important advice is not to sweat the exams too hard early in the semester. Just stay on top of everything and do a bunch of practice tests near the end and you will be fine. There is no need for a 100 page outline, law school is not nearly as hard as some students make it on themselves.

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:53 am

SteveReich wrote:I found Chirelstein wayyy too easy for Ks. It just dumbs everything down, so it never really helped me for the exam.

I spent maybe 30 mins to an hr everyday reading the casebook, and then I outlined directly from the K's E&E. Worked out perfectly.

Torts was really easy, so I didn't find supplements that useful. Chem is the CR for ConLaw. Enjoyed Glannon's for civpro. Dressler for Crim. Didn't really use anything for prop (except for that one book on trusts and estates because our entire grade pretty much depended on knowing the rule against perpetuities).

It dumbed everything down to exam response form. Reading that and basically outlining it got me a good grade - it also helped kill the policy. I thought Ks E&E was poorly written and poorly organized. ExamPro is tcr for Trusts and Estates - too bad our prof. told us to study it then it wasn't on the exam.

mr.undroppable wrote:You probably don't need two supplements for every class. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but I just paid very close attention to the prof and got away without looking at supplements except to get a quick overview of the whole class while I was reviewing near the end of the semester.

There is no need for a 100 page outline.

This is the other half. Some people don't use them at all. I do not get them.

But no 100 pg outline is TCR. Honestly, if your outline is over 20 pages for most classes, and 25 for any, you did it way wrong.

Oh, and don't brief cases, kids.

SteveReich

Postby SteveReich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:54 am

Last edited by SteveReich on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 am

SteveReich wrote:
It dumbed everything down to exam response form. Reading that and basically outlining it got me a good grade - it also helped kill the policy. I thought Ks E&E was poorly written and poorly organized. ExamPro is tcr for Trusts and Estates - too bad our prof. told us to study it then it wasn't on the exam.

That K's outline I gave you was based 100% on the E&E.

the outline was not poorly written nor poorly organized. thanks for turning the rambling clusterfuck of an E&E into a well organized and written 5-page outline.

SteveReich

Postby SteveReich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 am

Postby 06072010 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:29 am

Don't buy books until you've been able to scour lawopen or take a look at what booktrader has.

I brief cases in the margins, I take notes in outline form (say 60-70 pages worth) and condense the outline in roughly 15-25 pages for the final. It's worked out well for me.

SteveReich

Postby SteveReich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am

PKSebben wrote:Don't buy books until you've been able to scour lawopen or take a look at what booktrader has.

I brief cases in the margins, I take notes in outline form (say 60-70 pages worth) and condense the outline in roughly 15-25 pages for the final. It's worked out well for me.

Did you like my skelet-outline for cyberlawlz?

waahrus

Postby waahrus » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:21 pm

i mostly agree with the supp recommendations:

torts: abraham
K: chirelstein + maybe 'UCC' hornbook if you have White/Frier
property: gilberts + estates/future interests workbook
conlaw: chemerinsky
crim: dressler
civpro: glannon E&E and guide

i think E&E is unhelpful for most subjects

tl

Postby tl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Merriweather wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:When do we find out what classes we have/what section we're in? The book pricing thread makes me wanna get started.

trust me, it shouldn't.

also, all 0Ls, speaking of book pricing: DON'T BUY YOUR BOOKS. DON'T BUY SUPPLEMENTS. JUST DON'T DO IT.

wait until you are added to the [lawopen] listserv - this is the schoolwide discussion/buying&selling/whining about sandwiches listserv. you will be added during orientation. the beginning of the year is flooded with 1L casebooks and supplements. casebooks go for between 20 and 80 dollars, whereas they retail as much as 170. supplements 5-20 instead of 30-50. trust me.

oh, and as far as supplements... imo you need:
for every class: an emanuel's/gilbert's. because they do outline better than you. it's not changing.
torts: abraham's book, glannon's E&E
crim: ...?
con law: chemerinsky
contracts: the one guy. in the same series as abraham. CHIRELSTEIN. buy that.
civ pro: glannon E&E and glannon guide. this is the best supplement for any class.
property: ExamPro(if you have a prof. that does multiple choice - every prof but Schneider.) and Sprankling.

I would STRONGLY agree about waiting until you're added to the listserv to buy books. They are cheap and you will save a ton of money.

Supplements:

Torts: CRUNCHTIME & ABRAHAMS. Nothing else.
CRIM: Dressler. Though if anybody ends up with West next semester, PM me, because he is the only one that uses the Kaplan book, which is worthless. I never read for class, and I ONLY used an outline from Fall 2000, and got a great grade. I can send it to you.
Con Law: Chemerinsky. If you don't do anything else this semester, read Chemerinsky. I swear most Con Law teachers teach DIRECTLY from this book. My Con Law professor would quote this Chemerinsky verbatim in class, and I didn't realize it until the end of the semester. Crunchtime is also helpful for learning the actual rules and reviewing at the end of the semester.
Contracts: Crunchtime & Chirelstein.
Civ Pro: Glannon E&E and Glannon Guide. Get them both.
Property: Depends on the Professor, but if you use that Dukeminier book, which you probably will, then Gilberts is worth its weight in gold.

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:45 pm

prescott uses kaplan, yes it is worthless

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”