Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:13 pm

scarletmuse wrote:
neverborn wrote:
scarletmuse wrote:
Vail67 wrote:These apartments are making me want to go to Michigan. They are about 4 mins away from the law quad, and pretty much as close to central campus as you can get.

http://www.zaragonplace.com/index.php


Those are fancy indeed, but holy crap are they expensive! To put it in perspective, that's more than I used to pay for my apartment in Manhattan (and I lived in Chelsea).


what kind of shithole did you live in Manhattan? that seems like a stretch..


Rent stabilization, my friend. I lived in a beautiful building on 23rd and 7th (right across from the Chelsea Hotel). It was a studio, but it sure wasn't a shithole.


like, a rent control apt on 23/7?

scarletmuse
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby scarletmuse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm

rent stabilized, not rent controlled. But yeah.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 pm

I live 2 miles from school in a sweet 3/2 house with a downstairs bar / rupus room, a big fenced back yard, and all the free snow I can shovel for 1550 a month.

neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:32 pm

scarletmuse wrote:rent stabilized, not rent controlled. But yeah.


its a slight red herring then to say you paid less than zaragon in manhattan/chelsea!

btw whoever liked zaragon
check out http://www.4elevenlofts.com

scarletmuse
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby scarletmuse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:44 pm

neverborn wrote:
scarletmuse wrote:rent stabilized, not rent controlled. But yeah.


its a slight red herring then to say you paid less than zaragon in manhattan/chelsea!

btw whoever liked zaragon
check out http://www.4elevenlofts.com


Not at all. I wasn't trying to represent the state of the Chelsea rental market, just commenting that no way no how would I pay higher rent to live in some fancy Ann Arbor highrise than I'd paid to live across the street from Ethan Hawke in NYC. (Although I lived there before he did. But you get my drift).

And also, hot damn! The more impatient for graduation I get, the more online argumentative I become. There must be a correlation. :wink:

neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 pm

hey scarletmuse is there any truth to visiting professors getting an automatic extension?

scarletmuse
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby scarletmuse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:08 pm

neverborn wrote:hey scarletmuse is there any truth to visiting professors getting an automatic extension?


Of an offer? Nope. Sometimes it's just a mutually parasitic arrangement. The visiting semester is often understood to be a wink, wink, nudge, nudge extended interview, though.

neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:11 pm

scarletmuse wrote:
neverborn wrote:hey scarletmuse is there any truth to visiting professors getting an automatic extension?


Of an offer? Nope. Sometimes it's just a mutually parasitic arrangement. The visiting semester is often understood to be a wink, wink, nudge, nudge extended interview, though.


of grading deadline

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm

lolol

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:17 pm

I've never heard that rumor... out of curiosity, what is supposed to be the reasoning behind an automatic extension for visiting profs?

neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Alexandria wrote:I've never heard that rumor... out of curiosity, what is supposed to be the reasoning behind an automatic extension for visiting profs?


no idea.

mnop is freaking out with extension rumors and 0 grades and march grade ideas. if thtey want extensions i'd like them to email all my prospective employers.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:27 pm

FWIW, my grade that came in today was from a visiting prof. So that doesn't mean he couldn't have had an extension if he wanted one, but it at least means that not all visiting profs are taking extensions.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Does anybody know if classes might still get canceled for lack of interest at this point? I'm in a class that doesn't start for another few weeks, and it's down to 11 people enrolled for 28 seats.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Alexandria wrote:FWIW, my grade that came in today was from a visiting prof. So that doesn't mean he couldn't have had an extension if he wanted one, but it at least means that not all visiting profs are taking extensions.



yeah....EFGH got a visiting prof grade yesterday....

MikeMohr
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby MikeMohr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:41 am

Does anybody do Northwood? My fiancee and I really want to move in there, since it's reasonable for a 1 bedroom, with the heating paid for and all.

My FAFSA has been in for a couple weeks now. I need to talk to the FAO about getting some loans locked down. Does anybody have any advice for getting ahead of the game as far as attaining loans is concerned?

sonpleaseiamthelaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby sonpleaseiamthelaw » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:57 am

MikeMohr wrote:Does anybody do Northwood? My fiancee and I really want to move in there, since it's reasonable for a 1 bedroom, with the heating paid for and all.

My FAFSA has been in for a couple weeks now. I need to talk to the FAO about getting some loans locked down. Does anybody have any advice for getting ahead of the game as far as attaining loans is concerned?


hahaha no northwood. as a umich undergrad i can say thats like living in a glorified dorm. i guess a lot of people live there but you should def check htem out yourself.

there are plenty of cheap apartments on central campus, go apt hunting one weekend.

MikeMohr
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby MikeMohr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:23 am

Well, I know Northwood III basically is a dorm. Is it the same with I, II, IV, and V, then?

scarletmuse
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby scarletmuse » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:51 am

MikeMohr wrote:Well, I know Northwood III basically is a dorm. Is it the same with I, II, IV, and V, then?


I have several married friends who live there. They're fine – kind of ugly, and suspiciously similar to a Soviet compound, but also easy and reasonably convenient.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 am

scarletmuse wrote:
MikeMohr wrote:Well, I know Northwood III basically is a dorm. Is it the same with I, II, IV, and V, then?


I have several married friends who live there. They're fine – kind of ugly, and suspiciously similar to a Soviet compound, but also easy and reasonably convenient.


The only friend I have in there is also one of your friends... he told me it takes him an hour to get to school, with the waiting for the bus and the riding the bus and the walk from the bus. Also, no A/C.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:32 am

Ann Arbor isn't one of those places you can move to without checking out the place. Some places look good on the net but are pretty sketch.

neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:38 am

pick 2: clean, cheap, close

MikeMohr
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby MikeMohr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I just want clean, cheap, close, and enough room for my wife and our bookshelves. heh.

Ulfrekr
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Ulfrekr » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:43 am

MikeMohr wrote:Does anybody do Northwood? My fiancee and I really want to move in there, since it's reasonable for a 1 bedroom, with the heating paid for and all.


My bf lives in Northwood V, and it's actually pretty nice. It's all townhouses, and seems to be mostly grad students with families. It feels much more like a normal neighborhood than student living space. It wouldn't be super convenient to run there and back from the law school all day, but I don't think it would be too much of a hastle to live there.

neverborn
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby neverborn » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:52 am

MikeMohr wrote:I just want clean, cheap, close, and enough room for my wife and our bookshelves. heh.


didn't you see my post that says you get to pick TWO of clean, cheap, and close?

plz revise.

hth

shamrock
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby shamrock » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Does anyone know what the deal with Phid House is? Cheap and close...it seems like it's too good to be true...what's the catch?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest