Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:19 pm

This is the eventual endgame, right? Am I doing it wrong?

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:24 pm

PKSebben wrote:This is the eventual endgame, right? Am I doing it wrong?

Haha, you were reading my mind. I was trying so hard to find a picture of the Beat It handcuff knife fight scene but all I came up with were a bunch of monkeys in three piece suits observing a monkey knife fight. Half of you probably just went to google that right now, I'll wait...........WASN'T THAT AWESOME?

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 pm

I just stumbled across this.. I didn't know Dean Z was able to perform weddings :) cute...

--LinkRemoved--

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:20 pm

itzjulz wrote:I just stumbled across this.. I didn't know Dean Z was able to perform weddings :) cute...

--LinkRemoved--

Two of the most fantastic people I met in law school. Congrats to them!

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 am

PKSebben wrote:
itzjulz wrote:I just stumbled across this.. I didn't know Dean Z was able to perform weddings :) cute...

--LinkRemoved--

Two of the most fantastic people I met in law school. Congrats to them!

That is so sweet :)

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:43 pm

My last day of work was yesterday. Moving from Seattle next week. No turning back now!!

Maecenas

Postby Maecenas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:55 pm

For those of you moving into the Lawyers Club this Fall or those of you who have lived there in the past, what kind of stuff are you planning on bringing or did you find essential to have? Obviously typical dorm stuff is needed like a mini-fridge/microwave/tv but is anyone planning on bringing any furniture type things in addition to what they provide? I know they say that beds/couches are not allowed and that space is limited but has anyone brought that kind of stuff in anyways and been fine? I'm just curious as to what people have done/plan to do.

hdg315

Postby hdg315 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Quick Q- What size are the beds in the lawyers club? Trying to buy bedding sometime this week.

tl

Postby tl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:36 am

Maecenas wrote:For those of you moving into the Lawyers Club this Fall or those of you who have lived there in the past, what kind of stuff are you planning on bringing or did you find essential to have? Obviously typical dorm stuff is needed like a mini-fridge/microwave/tv but is anyone planning on bringing any furniture type things in addition to what they provide? I know they say that beds/couches are not allowed and that space is limited but has anyone brought that kind of stuff in anyways and been fine? I'm just curious as to what people have done/plan to do.

I always felt like I needed extra chairs. Other than that, I didn't feel like I needed any additional furniture.

hdg315 wrote:Quick Q- What size are the beds in the lawyers club? Trying to buy bedding sometime this week.

Extended twin.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:37 am

So is there like a bus or something that runs from the airport to Michigan on the 21st? Or something else cheaper than a taxi?

Aw, man, it's just hitting me that I have like one week left in Japan.

tl

Postby tl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:48 am

Lawlcat wrote:So is there like a bus or something that runs from the airport to Michigan on the 21st? Or something else cheaper than a taxi?

Aw, man, it's just hitting me that I have like one week left in Japan.

No. Your best bet is to try to coordinate a shuttle with other students that might be coming in on that day. Try the facebook group. That's what I did last year.

chikalicious

Postby chikalicious » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi All, long time lurker, first post, please be nice. :)

Do first year classes get syllabi usually, or, does it vary by professor (I've heard in some schools profs don't give out syllabi at all)?

I'm just curious as to what a typical UMich syllabi for 1L classes look like (aware that this could change from year to year, prof to prof) just to get some general idea of how the semester usually shapes up, reading load/week etc.

It's an idle question, we'll find out in a month, I know. But I would appreciate it if someone (2L, summer starter) humored me. Hope this is not coming off as gunnerish (don't even know my section/class schedule). I think other 0Ls might appreciate the info too.

Thanks.

Postby 06072010 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:13 pm

chikalicious wrote:Hi All, long time lurker, first post, please be nice. :)

Do first year classes get syllabi usually, or, does it vary by professor (I've heard in some schools profs don't give out syllabi at all)?

I'm just curious as to what a typical UMich syllabi for 1L classes look like (aware that this could change from year to year, prof to prof) just to get some general idea of how the semester usually shapes up, reading load/week etc.

It's an idle question, we'll find out in a month, I know. But I would appreciate it if someone (2L, summer starter) humored me. Hope this is not coming off as gunnerish (don't even know my section/class schedule). I think other 0Ls might appreciate the info too.

Thanks.

This is going to vary so much by class and professor that it would not be useful. Most professors give some sort of outline to the course. Some professors list reading assignments and a prospective schedule, some do not and announce the day before (I'm looking at you DH). A good rule of thumb is like 20-40 pages per class, per night. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I've found that's what it looks like. I read cases at about 10 pages per hour, so like 4-6 hours of reading per night is typical for me. YMMV. Use as directed.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 pm

I think 40 would be a shit ton of reading. I think it's more like 15-30.

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Holy Sweet Merciful Zeus.

It's your resident malcontent, checking in. T minus 9 days and counting.

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:09 pm

PKSebben wrote:

Thanks.

This is going to vary so much by class and professor that it would not be useful. Most professors give some sort of outline to the course. Some professors list reading assignments and a prospective schedule, some do not and announce the day before (I'm looking at you DH). A good rule of thumb is like 20-40 pages per class, per night. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I've found that's what it looks like. I read cases at about 10 pages per hour, so like 4-6 hours of reading per night is typical for me. YMMV. Use as directed.

Does it ever get better than 10 pages an hour? I feel like I haven't improved speed wise at all since I've started.

Postby 06072010 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:21 pm

vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Thanks.

Does it ever get better than 10 pages an hour? I feel like I haven't improved speed wise at all since I've started.

If I go faster I start skimming. Some people read much faster than I do -- I take notes while I read so I'm sure this slows me down.

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:29 pm

PKSebben wrote:
vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Thanks.

If I go faster I start skimming. Some people read much faster than I do -- I take notes while I read so I'm sure this slows me down.

I don't really take notes, well other than in the margins. I gave up on briefing cases about a week in sadly, was taking up too much time. Here's to hoping I can speed it up.

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Hey random question, if your roommate at the lawyer's club decided to defer does that mean you get the whole double to yourself? Or should I stop buying supplies to convert his room into a Cap't Crunch eating room (a room for the sole purpose of eating Cap't Crunch Berries Cereal). Do they just assign a new person this late in the game? I hope not, because I don't think that custom made life size statue of Cap't Crunch is refundable.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 pm

You do realize that Peanut Butter Crunch is easily the better of the two, do you not? I don't have an answer for you, but if you are willing to dedicate a small, albeit significant proportion of the room to Peanut Butter Crunch (say 15-20%), I'd love to join you for a daily bowl. Keep me posted!

annabeans

Postby annabeans » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:04 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:Hey random question, if your roommate at the lawyer's club decided to defer does that mean you get the whole double to yourself? Or should I stop buying supplies to convert his room into a Cap't Crunch eating room (a room for the sole purpose of eating Cap't Crunch Berries Cereal). Do they just assign a new person this late in the game? I hope not, because I don't think that custom made life size statue of Cap't Crunch is refundable.

Sorry, I felt a need to post this. Someone shared it with me during legal practice and I LOL'd. I'm pretty sure the prof noticed.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2009/06/r ... rules.html

Did you know crunchberries don't exist?? And Froot Loops don't contain froot. Outrageous.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Last edited by just a girl on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 06072010 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:47 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:You do realize that Peanut Butter Crunch is easily the better of the two, do you not? I don't have an answer for you, but if you are willing to dedicate a small, albeit significant proportion of the room to Peanut Butter Crunch (say 15-20%), I'd love to join you for a daily bowl. Keep me posted!

Add lucky charms and we got ourselves a party.

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:59 pm

PKSebben wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:You do realize that Peanut Butter Crunch is easily the better of the two, do you not? I don't have an answer for you, but if you are willing to dedicate a small, albeit significant proportion of the room to Peanut Butter Crunch (say 15-20%), I'd love to join you for a daily bowl. Keep me posted!

Its all about the Capn Crunch baby!

Postby 06072010 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:02 am

vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Its all about the Capn Crunch baby!

Is this because I'm Irish?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”