Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
snotrocket

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:46 am

Anhimal wrote:Is there a cheap McAfee software that the Michigan university sells?

If by "cheap" you mean free -- then yes, the law school has a license that covers students. They'll give you a flash drive with the installer at orientation, or you might find it on the law school website somewhere in the current students section.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:48 am

USC2009 wrote:The answer? One semester of debt won't kill us, and I strongly believe in initial reactions. Spend some time on campus, in class, and doing your work, and see if law school is really for you. If it doesn't work out, you've lost five months. No big deal. It'll probably be 20-30,000 additional debt, but honestly, that's nothing to be too scared of. If you really hate it, you can always reevaluate things.

Just keep in mind that you don't get first term grades back until after the full refund deadline for second term passes.

ElmGrant

Postby ElmGrant » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:Good to know I'm not the only one. The alternative for me is actually pretty good, I just worry I'd be selling myself short by not going. Plus, my confidence as it relates to making financial decisions has taken a big hit in the past year.

It's really just the recession doing a psychological number on us. Because of all the doom stories out there I was really hesitant to leave my relatively stable job, but then I totally remebered that my job is slowly crushing my soul and the reason I'm going to law school is so I can take jobs that actually makes a difference and do something that I enjoy on my terms.

That and the fact that I already put down the $400 non-refundable deposits and I didn't feel like throwing that away when I could have instead used it to buy 400 jr bacon cheeseburgers

I figure I'm probably going to leave a soul crushing job to attend law school only to take another one after graduation. Fortunately, I think I'm getting used to it, so it's becoming less of an issue for me daily.

I put down a deposit at 2 schools in April, so I've already had to write off 250 jr bacon cheesburgers.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:10 am

MLR calls went out last night. Anyone know if the MJLR wait list will be moving soon?

safari

Postby safari » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 am

Here's a question for all those who live in apartments in Ann Arbor (esp. Woodbury Gardens)--is Comcast our only option for high-speed internet? I plugged in my address for both AT&T U-verse and DSL, but it said neither of those were available. But strangely enough, U-verse is available right around the block......

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:10 am

U-M Innocence Clinic triumphs in its first major case

Cool story - one of the cases the Innocence Clinic is working on has been granted a new trial.. If there's anyone here who is part of the clinic, congrats! :D

tjb

Postby tjb » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:23 am

Is anyone planning on selling a Michigan-Notre Dame game ticket on Saturday, Sept. 12th? I already have season tix, but I'm hoping to buy a ticket for my boyfriend. Please PM me if you are willing to sell! Thanks!

Postby 06072010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:27 am

safari wrote:Here's a question for all those who live in apartments in Ann Arbor (esp. Woodbury Gardens)--is Comcast our only option for high-speed internet? I plugged in my address for both AT&T U-verse and DSL, but it said neither of those were available. But strangely enough, U-verse is available right around the block......

At Woodbury, Comcast is your only option. U-Verse is available in certain places downtown. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am

tralinds wrote:Dude, I don't know how you manage to always be hilarious when you post. I LOL at almost all your posts, bravo.

Almost all the time and not all the time? How unacceptable. I thought we could have been chums, paling around and riding tandem bicycles, but now I see I’m going to have to ride a unicycle around campus. :(

malcolminthemiddle

Postby malcolminthemiddle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:I'm going to be at the SF reception. I'm kinda worried about distance though, it's a WHOLE two blocks away from me.

I am going to the SF reception as well. Anyone else? Does anyone know what the dress code is?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 pm

itzjulz wrote:U-M Innocence Clinic triumphs in its first major case

Cool story - one of the cases the Innocence Clinic is working on has been granted a new trial.. If there's anyone here who is part of the clinic, congrats! :D

Hey! I think this is my friends' case! I'll have to ask. :) They are, btw, two former LSDers (from before TLS was popular).

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Alexandria wrote:
itzjulz wrote:U-M Innocence Clinic triumphs in its first major case

Hey! I think this is my friends' case! I'll have to ask. :) They are, btw, two former LSDers (from before TLS was popular).

That one's not theirs, but theirs is going well too. (BUT you can see cute pics of them on the school's press release slide show. This was ZL's case.

p.s. Thanks again for putting me up this weekend. Fingers crossed that the apartment works out! Kiss Z and R for me!

safari

Postby safari » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 pm

PKSebben wrote:
safari wrote:Here's a question for all those who live in apartments in Ann Arbor (esp. Woodbury Gardens)--is Comcast our only option for high-speed internet? I plugged in my address for both AT&T U-verse and DSL, but it said neither of those were available. But strangely enough, U-verse is available right around the block......

At Woodbury, Comcast is your only option. U-Verse is available in certain places downtown. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Thanks... but AGGHHH! And I thought I would rid myself of the Comcast demons by moving across the country.... :evil:

Postby 06072010 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:03 pm

safari wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Thanks... but AGGHHH! And I thought I would rid myself of the Comcast demons by moving across the country.... :evil:

Tell me about it. My next housing decision will be influenced by the availability of FIOS.

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 pm

malcolminthemiddle wrote:
I am going to the SF reception as well. Anyone else? Does anyone know what the dress code is?

I think the dress code is the same as the last reception. Business formal for alumni, just casual for newly admitted students (unless you’re coming from work). But the SF one is at a kind of a fancy restaurant so business casual is a safe bet, but then again I bet against someone who said that they could turn the quiet shy into the prom queen back in high school (who knew that she could look like a super model by taking off her glasses and putting down her hair?) so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Pretty sure that is a premise directly from a whole slew of pre-teen-targeted movies aimed at boosting self confidence in early-adolescent girls.

malcolminthemiddle

Postby malcolminthemiddle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:

I think the dress code is the same as the last reception. Business formal for alumni, just casual for newly admitted students (unless you’re coming from work). But the SF one is at a kind of a fancy restaurant so business casual is a safe bet, but then again I bet against someone who said that they could turn the quiet shy into the prom queen back in high school (who knew that she could look like a super model by taking off her glasses and putting down her hair?) so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'll split the difference and go with polo and khakis.

I haven't been to one before, what exactly occurs at an alumni reception?

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Two gym-related questions:

1. Is there a way I'll be able to use the Michigan campus gyms when I get to Ann Arbor in early August? I'll go crazy without a gym.

2. Anyone here interested in regularly going to a gym together? I've been going alone to the gym all summer and for most of last semester after my last partner quit, and I really find it much more enjoyable when you go with someone. Let me know.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 pm

USC2009 wrote:1. Is there a way I'll be able to use the Michigan campus gyms when I get to Ann Arbor in early August? I'll go crazy without a gym.

They swipe your Mcard before you can enter the gyms, so unless you purchase a short term membership or get your Mcard early, I don't think you'll be able to access them.

dmreust

Postby dmreust » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:45 pm

USC2009 wrote:Two gym-related questions:

1. Is there a way I'll be able to use the Michigan campus gyms when I get to Ann Arbor in early August? I'll go crazy without a gym.

2. Anyone here interested in regularly going to a gym together? I've been going alone to the gym all summer and for most of last semester after my last partner quit, and I really find it much more enjoyable when you go with someone. Let me know.

2. I know I don't post on here too terribly often (so you may not have seen anything from me) but I plan to keep a regular gym schedule. I would love to have a group that plans to go together.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:48 am

dmreust wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Two gym-related questions:

2. I know I don't post on here too terribly often (so you may not have seen anything from me) but I plan to keep a regular gym schedule. I would love to have a group that plans to go together.

Sounds great!

just a girl wrote:
USC2009 wrote:1. Is there a way I'll be able to use the Michigan campus gyms when I get to Ann Arbor in early August? I'll go crazy without a gym.

They swipe your Mcard before you can enter the gyms, so unless you purchase a short term membership or get your Mcard early, I don't think you'll be able to access them.

Dammit! The same thing happened when I went to USC early, and once they even asked me to pay 10 dollars for the rest of the "summer period" when it was the Saturday before classes started.

malcolminthemiddle

Postby malcolminthemiddle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:55 am

I am down to go to the gym. Been trying to get into better shape all summer. I am moving in on aug 15, anyone else moving in early?

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Pretty sure that is a premise directly from a whole slew of pre-teen-targeted movies aimed at boosting self confidence in early-adolescent girls.

Aww, you caught me. I over exaggerated my high school experience, which wasn't nearly as exciting as that. I’M SUCH A FRUAD! The only memorable experience I have from high school is that time I made the sports team but I was the only minority there and the all white team and small conservative town was not pleased with it, but my coach believed in me and pushed me and eventually through my hard work and team bonding we were able to come together as a team. My worst enemy became my best friend and I was able to melt away the prejudice of the town. We would have won the state championship too if it wasn’t for the opposing racist team purposely injuring me. It was fine though because as I was carried off a slow clap started which evolved into a full out ovation and I made my point that Asians could in fact play curling.

I'll split the difference and go with polo and khakis.

I haven't been to one before, what exactly occurs at an alumni reception?

The reception is mainly like a networking event where there are drinks and appetizers served in an open area where everyone can just chat and new students can ask questions about the school, the experience, employment etc. So it's kind of like this forum, except you’re not drinking alone as you ask questions and you can’t hide behind a veil of anonymity so you can rant about socially unacceptable stuff like how much you dislike Mongolians.

SWilson

Postby SWilson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:32 pm

USC2009 wrote:

i'm also down to get a group together. i can't get myself to go regularly if i don't have someone counting on me..

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Pretty sure that is a premise directly from a whole slew of pre-teen-targeted movies aimed at boosting self confidence in early-adolescent girls.

Aww, you caught me. I over exaggerated my high school experience, which wasn't nearly as exciting as that. I’M SUCH A FRUAD! The only memorable experience I have from high school is that time I made the sports team but I was the only minority there and the all white team and small conservative town was not pleased with it, but my coach believed in me and pushed me and eventually through my hard work and team bonding we were able to come together as a team. My worst enemy became my best friend and I was able to melt away the prejudice of the town. We would have won the state championship too if it wasn’t for the opposing racist team purposely injuring me. It was fine though because as I was carried off a slow clap started which evolved into a full out ovation and I made my point that Asians could in fact play curling.

Simply beautiful.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”