Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Aeroplane

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Aeroplane » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 am

snotrocket wrote:
hdg315 wrote:Another fin. aid qstn: How are schollys and stafford loans disbursed, do we get a lump sum at the beginning of fall, or are they split between semesters?

It's split 50/50, unless you're a summer starter, then something like 30/35/35.
On the GradPlus form it says that if you are requesting loans for fall & spring, the distribution will be "50/50 split disbursements unless otherwise requested". This leads me to think that you can ask for a different "custom" arrangement. I bet they wouldn't give out funds any earlier for any given semester (eg give you spring funds in October), but maybe would be willing to hold some back until half-way through (eg give you part of your spring funds in Jan and the rest in March).

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 am

Aeroplane wrote:On the GradPlus form it says that if you are requesting loans for fall & spring, the distribution will be "50/50 split disbursements unless otherwise requested". This leads me to think that you can ask for a different "custom" arrangement. I bet they wouldn't give out funds any earlier for any given semester (eg give you spring funds in October), but maybe would be willing to hold some back until half-way through (eg give you part of your spring funds in Jan and the rest in March).

Yeah, if you have budget control problems then just ask what other options they would allow. I'm sure they would delay disbursements within reason, but I don't think they're allowed to accelerate them (i.e. give you 100% in the Fall and 0% in the Spring). They might also hold back part until the end of the Spring semester, but I think they have to disburse all of it within the terms you are enrolled (so probably not over the Summer, unless you're enrolled then).

ElmGrant

Postby ElmGrant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Anyone fighting 2nd thoughts about going to law school?

In April I thought I was absolutely coming to UM, then in June I was certain I wasn't going to law school at all, and now I'm pretty certain I'm going to be attending this fall. This economy is making me super paranoid and very risk averse.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:19 pm

ElmGrant wrote:Anyone fighting 2nd thoughts about going to law school?

In April I thought I was absolutely coming to UM, then in June I was certain I wasn't going to law school at all, and now I'm pretty certain I'm going to be attending this fall. This economy is making me super paranoid and very risk averse.

You aren't alone! I just keep thinking to myself, "Well, what's the alternative? Keep being a paralegal? Find another mediocre job?"

I'm afraid of the debt, but I know plenty of people coming out of UM Law right now with great jobs, so I am not too worried about finding work in 3 years.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:28 pm

My SO has second thoughts about me going to law school. He is very risk averse (and change averse) by nature. I, on the other hand, am totally psyched.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:48 pm

tralinds wrote:

You aren't alone! I just keep thinking to myself, "Well, what's the alternative? Keep being a paralegal? Find another mediocre job?"

I'm afraid of the debt, but I know plenty of people coming out of UM Law right now with great jobs, so I am not too worried about finding work in 3 years.

This. I think everybody has reservations. I'd be lying if I haven't thought to myself several times "Ummm... what the f*ck are you doing?" But on the other hand, I'm typically really excited about starting this whole experience. It's going to be mentally demanding and a ton of work, but I'm thrilled to be moving forward with it.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 pm

all the time. throughout a lot of may-june i actively started job hunting for a new job in place of starting school. and to be honest, i go back and forth a lot about whether it's the right thing to do and have way too many mini-panic attacks. but all in all i think it will be for the best...at least that's what i'm hoping :? :|

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

snotrocket wrote:
hdg315 wrote:Another fin. aid qstn: How are schollys and stafford loans disbursed, do we get a lump sum at the beginning of fall, or are they split between semesters?

It's split 50/50, unless you're a summer starter, then something like 30/35/35.

Is this true? I think it's per semester you're allotted half the amount. Since summer counts as one full semester for tuition purposes I'm pretty sure they don't cut down your scholarship accordingly. Like, if you were awarded 10k per year, you get 5k for the summer. Otherwise you'd be screwed out of some portion of it since you only spend the fall on campus during your 3L year.

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:47 pm

I *definitely* remember feeling this way. I spent most of the spring before 1L second-guessing myself. Does this bring any sort of comfort? Bear in mind, the posters on that thread have (presumably) all just graduated.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Sorry to change topics, but...

How do I get a "Michigan Law" shirt? I didn't make it to any of the ASW events.

annarborbound

Postby annarborbound » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:53 pm

The Student Senate sells them regularly. They'll probably be selling them during orientation week.

ElmGrant

Postby ElmGrant » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:02 pm

tralinds wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only one. The alternative for me is actually pretty good, I just worry I'd be selling myself short by not going. Plus, my confidence as it relates to making financial decisions has taken a big hit in the past year.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:03 pm

tralinds wrote:Sorry to change topics, but...

How do I get a "Michigan Law" shirt? I didn't make it to any of the ASW events.

I am kind of a fan of the "illegal" shirt design (I remember hearing that these got pulled because the M logo is altered? Correct me if I'm wrong).. I need to order myself one of these shirts soon:

Alexandria wrote:http://shop.cafepress.com/design/12350815

I have the jr. ringer shirt in yellow. I love it, and other students always ask me where I got it!

Please, please, please - someone buy the trucker hat and the sleeveless tee and wear them to the first day of class. :lol:

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:21 pm

25 bucks and not even American Apparel?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Merriweather wrote:25 bucks and not even American Apparel?

They're Michigan Law shirts. If these shirts were shoes, I'd say that means they're about on par with Ferragamo's. But I might be slightly biased.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:26 pm

So Julz and USC - do either of you have any more information on this concert and when/if tickets are going to be freeing up? For GA on a big lawn I just can't believe it would sell out this quickly.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:29 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:So Julz and USC - do either of you have any more information on this concert and when/if tickets are going to be freeing up? For GA on a big lawn I just can't believe it would sell out this quickly.

*grumble grumble* I'm surprised it sold out too. Occasionally DTE releases more lawn tickets in the weeks before the show. Until then, I'll be perusing craigslist and stubhub. I'll keep you posted if I find anything close to face value :)

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 pm

It is for a pretty popular band that just got back together though. I would just keep checking Stubhub and Ticketmaster, something will free up. And it better, cuz I'm not going alone :P

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:38 pm

ElmGrant wrote:
Good to know I'm not the only one. The alternative for me is actually pretty good, I just worry I'd be selling myself short by not going. Plus, my confidence as it relates to making financial decisions has taken a big hit in the past year.

Believe me, you are FAR from alone. Well, there are at least three of us, it seems. I've often considered becoming a teacher as I LOVE working with kids. I also want to explore my hobbies and passions further, and I'm constantly afraid that law school won't give me the opportunity I need to do that. It's a daily battle, believe me.

The answer? One semester of debt won't kill us, and I strongly believe in initial reactions. Spend some time on campus, in class, and doing your work, and see if law school is really for you. If it doesn't work out, you've lost five months. No big deal. It'll probably be 20-30,000 additional debt, but honestly, that's nothing to be too scared of. If you really hate it, you can always reevaluate things.

Vail67

Postby Vail67 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 am

USC2009 wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:

Believe me, you are FAR from alone. Well, there are at least three of us, it seems. I've often considered becoming a teacher as I LOVE working with kids. I also want to explore my hobbies and passions further, and I'm constantly afraid that law school won't give me the opportunity I need to do that. It's a daily battle, believe me.

The answer? One semester of debt won't kill us, and I strongly believe in initial reactions. Spend some time on campus, in class, and doing your work, and see if law school is really for you. If it doesn't work out, you've lost five months. No big deal. It'll probably be 20-30,000 additional debt, but honestly, that's nothing to be too scared of. If you really hate it, you can always reevaluate things.

Eh. It's almost universally said that 1L sucks. Though to be honest I am very much looking forward to the intellectual challenge of law school, I view it as much more of a means to an end. Even if someone isn't completely enamored with civ pro, or something, I wouldn't condone calling it quits after a semester. It might be different if one was going to some shitty school and saw that professors weren't into it and career services was inept, or something, but you can be fairly certain you're getting a great education at Michigan, and the doors will open upon graduation. I certainly have my periods where I think "Holy shit, am I doing the right thing?" but unless I am struck by some epiphany during my three years, I'm sticking with it.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 am

Is there a cheap McAfee software that the Michigan university sells?

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:48 am

USC2009 wrote:... I better not be going to this Blink concert alone!

Don't worry, I got my tickets last week so I'll probably going. Unless I can set up some sort of gladiatorial deathmatch with the tickets as the prize (haven't really decided which option will entertain me more).

ElmGrant wrote:Good to know I'm not the only one. The alternative for me is actually pretty good, I just worry I'd be selling myself short by not going. Plus, my confidence as it relates to making financial decisions has taken a big hit in the past year.

It's really just the recession doing a psychological number on us. Because of all the doom stories out there I was really hesitant to leave my relatively stable job, but then I totally remebered that my job is slowly crushing my soul and the reason I'm going to law school is so I can take jobs that actually makes a difference and do something that I enjoy on my terms.

That and the fact that I already put down the $400 non-refundable deposits and I didn't feel like throwing that away when I could have instead used it to buy 400 jr bacon cheeseburgers

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:31 am

Vail67 wrote:Eh. It's almost universally said that 1L sucks. Though to be honest I am very much looking forward to the intellectual challenge of law school, I view it as much more of a means to an end. Even if someone isn't completely enamored with civ pro, or something, I wouldn't condone calling it quits after a semester. It might be different if one was going to some shitty school and saw that professors weren't into it and career services was inept, or something, but you can be fairly certain you're getting a great education at Michigan, and the doors will open upon graduation. I certainly have my periods where I think "Holy shit, am I doing the right thing?" but unless I am struck by some epiphany during my three years, I'm sticking with it.

I don't mean just one class or even the semester, but you start to get a feel for law school and the subject matter. Sometimes it's difficult to anticipate whether or not you'll really like it, though most of us are pretty certain. It's kind of hard to explain (at this hour, at least) but I feel like my first semester will be enough to confirm/deny my expectations for law school.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:32 am

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
USC2009 wrote:... I better not be going to this Blink concert alone!

Don't worry, I got my tickets last week so I'll probably going. Unless I can set up some sort of gladiatorial deathmatch with the tickets as the prize (haven't really decided which option will entertain me more).

Haha, sweet. I think/hope that my upcoming roommate also bought a pair of tickets. Either way, it's going to be awesome.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:05 am

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
That and the fact that I already put down the $400 non-refundable deposits and I didn't feel like throwing that away when I could have instead used it to buy 400 jr bacon cheeseburgers

Dude, I don't know how you manage to always be hilarious when you post. I LOL at almost all your posts, bravo.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”