Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:48 pm

tl wrote:
nicoz wrote:For current students, when did your loans disburse last year?


It was either the Thursday or Friday before classes started. It would be in your best interest to sign-up for direct deposit.

TL, how do you sign up for direct deposit?

Edit:// I just added it on Wolverine Access.

User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Can someone tell us how we can sign up for the payment option if we don't know how much our tuition is? I've searched all over Wolverine Access and couldn't find the term bill. Also, someone said they're voting on a tuition increase? Is that why we don't know how much tuition is?

User avatar
just a girl
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby just a girl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:33 pm

They announced the tuition increase, I think it's 1-2 pages back in this thread.

safari
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby safari » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:54 pm

Anhimal wrote:
tl wrote:
nicoz wrote:For current students, when did your loans disburse last year?


It was either the Thursday or Friday before classes started. It would be in your best interest to sign-up for direct deposit.

TL, how do you sign up for direct deposit?

Edit:// I just added it on Wolverine Access.


Is direct deposit something you can sign up for on Wolverine Access? I thought we had to send in a form?

User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 pm

safari wrote:
Anhimal wrote:
tl wrote:
nicoz wrote:For current students, when did your loans disburse last year?


It was either the Thursday or Friday before classes started. It would be in your best interest to sign-up for direct deposit.

TL, how do you sign up for direct deposit?

Edit:// I just added it on Wolverine Access.


Is direct deposit something you can sign up for on Wolverine Access? I thought we had to send in a form?


I went to Wolverine Access and put "direct deposit" in the search box and input my bank's routing number and account number. Is there another form?

User avatar
just a girl
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby just a girl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:09 am

You can do it either through a form or Wolverine access, but online is easier.

safari
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:55 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby safari » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:42 am

just a girl wrote:You can do it either through a form or Wolverine access, but online is easier.


that's good to know...regular mail is so retro it clashes with my style!

User avatar
Lawlcat
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Lawlcat » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 am

USC2009 wrote:Has anyone here done the Michigan Payment Plan?


Is that a special plan where you can lower the interest rate on your loan by .1 percent for every hour you spend being beaten with baseball bats by the financial aid department?

User avatar
summertimechi
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby summertimechi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:24 pm

does anyone know how much the loan origination fees are for the stafford and gradPLUS loans? i keep looking it up and finding a bunch of different answers. and will they take those fees on top of the amount we ask to borrow? or will be deducted from the amount that we borrow?

sorry, the fees are a bit confusing for me :?

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:15 pm

summertimechi wrote:does anyone know how much the loan origination fees are for the stafford and gradPLUS loans? i keep looking it up and finding a bunch of different answers. and will they take those fees on top of the amount we ask to borrow? or will be deducted from the amount that we borrow?

If you ask them, then they will up the loan amount to cover the fees, so that after fees you get the full amount you requested. I don't know how much it is on Staffords. Grad PLUS are higher, like 2.5%. I think the Staffords are 1% or something like that.

User avatar
Anhimal
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:11 pm

WARNING WARNING! DO NOT ENROLL IN MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN.

I enrolled and payed the $55.00 application fee which is fine and dandy but then I got in touch with financial aid and they told me if we enroll in the monthly payment plan the university will not release the money for our living expenses.

Something about if we don't pay our tuition in full because of the montly payment plan, the school cannot release our loans.

I had to cancel but I lost my $55... you live, you learn.

thefinalcut
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby thefinalcut » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Anhimal wrote:WARNING WARNING! DO NOT ENROLL IN MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN.

I enrolled and payed the $55.00 application fee which is fine and dandy but then I got in touch with financial aid and they told me if we enroll in the monthly payment plan the university will not release the money for our living expenses.

Something about if we don't pay our tuition in full because of the montly payment plan, the school cannot release our loans.

I had to cancel but I lost my $55... you live, you learn.


I will be using my savings for expenses of my first year. I was thinking this payment plan might save me couple of hundred buck in interest rate during my first year. But it looks like it might be more pain than it is worth, particularly given that the interest rates are so bad right now.

annarborbound
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby annarborbound » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:49 am

Has anybody heard back from journals/law review? I'm getting antsy.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 am

annarborbound wrote:Has anybody heard back from journals/law review? I'm getting antsy.

MTTLR and MJLR sent letters in the past week or so. Everyone in AA that applied seems to have gotten one. We won't hear from MLR until "mid-July."

annarborbound
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby annarborbound » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks. I assume they send letters either way? I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm also not in AA.

mich_questions
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby mich_questions » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:09 pm

I think some people got MJLR letters.

A question: what happens if you can't make all/part of the "orientation" for a journal? Can you still be on it??

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:36 pm

mich_questions wrote:A question: what happens if you can't make all/part of the "orientation" for a journal? Can you still be on it??

The letter from MJLR says to contact them if you think that you have a conflict. I'm not sure to what extent they will work it out with you, or if missing too much of it will just keep you off. I'm pretty sure the MLR materials said their orientation is mandatory, and the pledge or pick-up slip or whatever had something to sign saying you understood that.

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Talk about attending part of orientation, does anyone know if we have to attend all of MAP? I plan on going but I don't know if I can make it to everything as I'm busy moving into Ann Arbor that week.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Aeroplane » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 pm

snotrocket wrote:
summertimechi wrote:does anyone know how much the loan origination fees are for the stafford and gradPLUS loans? i keep looking it up and finding a bunch of different answers. and will they take those fees on top of the amount we ask to borrow? or will be deducted from the amount that we borrow?

If you ask them, then they will up the loan amount to cover the fees, so that after fees you get the full amount you requested. I don't know how much it is on Staffords. Grad PLUS are higher, like 2.5%. I think the Staffords are 1% or something like that.
The Grad PLUS thing is weird. It's something like "the fee is 4% but you get a 1.5% rebate up front. If you are late on one of the first 12 payments, you lose your rebate and they take back the 1.5%". I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.

User avatar
tl
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:25 pm

topsome wrote:Talk about attending part of orientation, does anyone know if we have to attend all of MAP? I plan on going but I don't know if I can make it to everything as I'm busy moving into Ann Arbor that week.


Go to what you want. No one will care. I skipped at least one full day last year.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 pm

snotrocket wrote:
mich_questions wrote:A question: what happens if you can't make all/part of the "orientation" for a journal? Can you still be on it??

The letter from MJLR says to contact them if you think that you have a conflict. I'm not sure to what extent they will work it out with you, or if missing too much of it will just keep you off. I'm pretty sure the MLR materials said their orientation is mandatory, and the pledge or pick-up slip or whatever had something to sign saying you understood that.


You should have a really good excuse for missing a day or more of journal orientation. It really pisses ed board members off, as they feel like you are breaking the commitment you made when you agreed to join the journal.

topsome
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby topsome » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:51 pm

tl wrote:
topsome wrote:Talk about attending part of orientation, does anyone know if we have to attend all of MAP? I plan on going but I don't know if I can make it to everything as I'm busy moving into Ann Arbor that week.


Go to what you want. No one will care. I skipped at least one full day last year.


Thanks! That's good to hear, I know I definitely need the Friday that week to move in.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Alexandria wrote:You should have a really good excuse for missing a day or more of journal orientation. It really pisses ed board members off, as they feel like you are breaking the commitment you made when you agreed to join the journal.

Yep. When they say "read and sign the following" -- they mean it. We are becoming lawyers, after all. Your clients will be paying you to know this sort of thing. Also, your license will depend on it.

annarborbound
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby annarborbound » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 am

Well, it looks like that won't be a concern for me -- I will apparently be having a lot of free time that week...and next year...

I know this is bad, but how bad? I don't know any 2Ls/3Ls from last year who weren't on any journal, so I can't really tell how much trouble I'm in. Ugh.

MLaw11
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby MLaw11 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:46 am

annarborbound wrote:Well, it looks like that won't be a concern for me -- I will apparently be having a lot of free time that week...and next year...

I know this is bad, but how bad? I don't know any 2Ls/3Ls from last year who weren't on any journal, so I can't really tell how much trouble I'm in. Ugh.


Join the club.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest