Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
topsome

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by topsome » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Anhimal wrote:Do you know if they send a response after receiving your 2nd deposit?
+1 did any of you get anthing?

nicoz

New

Post by nicoz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 pm

I had to call to find out.

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Anhimal wrote:Strategically? Care to elaborate? Sounds interesting =)
As far as I know, Michigan tries to make sure there's a fair amount of diversity within the sections, not necessarily racial, but in terms of background, life experience, age, education, geography, etc. My section has a very interesting cross-section of people.

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm

just a girl wrote:
Anhimal wrote:Strategically? Care to elaborate? Sounds interesting =)
As far as I know, Michigan tries to make sure there's a fair amount of diversity within the sections, not necessarily racial, but in terms of background, life experience, age, education, geography, etc. My section has a very interesting cross-section of people.
Michigan is awesome! Do all schools do this =) I'm glad it's not just by alphabetical order. I bet it's a pain in the butt for the people doing the sorting.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:25 pm

scarletmuse wrote:
itzjulz wrote: I am also (probably irrationally) scared of Richard Primus, and EFGH doesn't have him for Con Law Winter semester :)
Don't worry! He's one of the best professors at Michigan (probably anywhere), and you will be grateful for how well you know con law for the rest of your days if you have him. Intense? Yes. Scary or mean? No.
He is my favorite teacher I've ever had.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Alexandria wrote:
scarletmuse wrote:
itzjulz wrote: I am also (probably irrationally) scared of Richard Primus, and EFGH doesn't have him for Con Law Winter semester :)
Don't worry! He's one of the best professors at Michigan (probably anywhere), and you will be grateful for how well you know con law for the rest of your days if you have him. Intense? Yes. Scary or mean? No.
He is my favorite teacher I've ever had.
Ok, I'll trust you guys :)

Lyceum>Academy

New

Post by Lyceum>Academy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:00 pm

Anyone know off hand when then next $300 is due?
Also, what is the latest you can apply for the Gradplus loans... I heard 30 days before school starts?

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:01 pm

Lyceum>Academy wrote:Anyone know off hand when then next $300 is due?
Also, what is the latest you can apply for the Gradplus loans... I heard 30 days before school starts?
June 15th for 2nd deposit.
Not sure about GradPlus.

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Does orientation start on the 24th or the 26th of August?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:30 pm

just a girl wrote:The sections are determined by Michigan and they're done strategically, not according to a numeric formula or last name. You won't know until you come for orientation and they tell you.
Yes. One apparent strategy last year was putting all the raging gunners in IJKL.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:41 pm

snotrocket wrote: Yes. One apparent strategy last year was putting all the raging gunners in IJKL.
This is so not true. We were the slacker section. EFGH was where all the gunners were. This is not even up for debate.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:48 pm

tl wrote:This is so not true. We were the slacker section. IJKL was where all the gunners were. This is not even up for debate.
Fixed that for you. I know it's hard to keep those letters straight when you're gunning so hard.

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:03 pm

So, uh, does orientation start on the 24th or the 26th?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

safari

New

Post by safari » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Last thing I saw said orientation was 24-28 August...

On an unrelated note: Does anyone have details on health insurance at Michigan? The note on the admitted students page says the "2006-2007" brochure isn't available, which makes me think it hasn't been updated in a while...

Oh...and are people opening new bank accounts in Ann Arbor or keeping their home banks?

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:30 pm

I am keeping my bank account from home. I haven't done much detective work, but I am going to guess they have some Wells Fargo branches in the area. I am guessing that every major bank (Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Bank of America, Citi, etc..) would have a branch near Ann Arbor/Detroit.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Wells Fargo branches aren't very prominent in Michigan, IIRC.

I will probably be switching to TCF, which is the bank that is ALL OVER ann arbor. I think you can also link your checking account to your M card, so you don't have to carry your debit card with you. I think the ATM in Hutchins is a TCF. I'll probably keep my Chase accounts and keep the majority of my money there. My plan was to transfer money to the TCF account every few weeks or month to "pay" myself so I don't overspend.

I think switching to TCF would be worth it just to avoid ATM fees.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:48 am

I'm getting a Chase account. Not many Rabobanks out in MI, it seems.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 am

itzjulz wrote: I think the ATM in Hutchins is a TCF.
Yes.

But, yeah, keep your account with a more national bank. We closed our Bank of America account when we opened a TCF account. At the time, there were no BoA branches in AA, although one opened what must have been mere weeks later. So this summer, before my direct deposit kicks in, I've had to open a new BoA account to put paychecks into. (Last summer there was no problem, because I was working overseas, and they paid me in cash-- no joke.)

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:15 am

I have to put in a plug for the UofM Credit Union. I've been with them since I've been here. There are branches all over town (including in the Union, right across the street from the law school), and they're part of the national credit union network. When I was in DC, I just made my deposits at another credit union. Last summer I was too busy to worry about it, so I mailed my checks.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 am

scarletmuse wrote:I have to put in a plug for the UofM Credit Union. I've been with them since I've been here. There are branches all over town (including in the Union, right across the street from the law school), and they're part of the national credit union network. When I was in DC, I just made my deposits at another credit union. Last summer I was too busy to worry about it, so I mailed my checks.
They are good, and overall you can't beat credit unions for avoiding the rip off factor in banking. The CU does not have an ATM in the law school building, but they do have one in the Union, and as noted, several other easy to use branches and ATMs around town.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:08 am

safari wrote:On an unrelated note: Does anyone have details on health insurance at Michigan? The note on the admitted students page says the "2006-2007" brochure isn't available, which makes me think it hasn't been updated in a while.
As best I recall, enrollment for the Fall/Winter opened sometime in July last year.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 am

snotrocket wrote:
safari wrote:On an unrelated note: Does anyone have details on health insurance at Michigan? The note on the admitted students page says the "2006-2007" brochure isn't available, which makes me think it hasn't been updated in a while.
As best I recall, enrollment for the Fall/Winter opened sometime in July last year.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
This may not be an option for everyone, but I am currently looking into the "Young Adult Blue" program through BCBS: http://www.bcbsm.com/myblue/plan_youngadultblue.shtml

If you are under 30 and are only looking for something to cover you in case of an emergency (Preventative care and clinic visits aren't covered, but we get those for free through UHS), this might be a viable option, since coverage only starts at about $47/month. That's roughly $565 annually vs. roughly $2350 for the Aetna plan that UM offers.

Obviously, if you are older, have a family, want vision/dental/etc. coverage, or have unique medical needs or medications of some kind that require doctor visits beyond a routine checkup or yearly exam, then this might not be a good plan for you. However, if you're just looking for something to cover you in case you have a heart attack during exams, this looks like it's not a bad deal.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:03 pm

itzjulz wrote:This may not be an option for everyone, but I am currently looking into the "Young Adult Blue" program through BCBS: http://www.bcbsm.com/myblue/plan_youngadultblue.shtml

If you are under 30 and are only looking for something to cover you in case of an emergency (Preventative care and clinic visits aren't covered, but we get those for free through UHS), this might be a viable option, since coverage only starts at about $47/month. That's roughly $565 annually vs. roughly $2350 for the Aetna plan that UM offers.

Obviously, if you are older, have a family, want vision/dental/etc. coverage, or have unique medical needs or medications of some kind that require doctor visits beyond a routine checkup or yearly exam, then this might not be a good plan for you. However, if you're just looking for something to cover you in case you have a heart attack during exams, this looks like it's not a bad deal.
Just make sure you know what facilities and providers are "in network" for any plan other than Aetna. The ABA Student Health Insurance, for instance, is somewhat cheaper than the UM suggested plan, but none of the UM facilities or affiliated providers are in network. You would have to drive to the next town over to the county general hospital in Ypsilanti to avoid being shafted with out-of-network rates. I didn't look at it thoroughly, but it appears that the Blue Cross plan you linked also may not include any UM facilities in its network (I can't tell, since their provider search thing does not make it clear what sort of plan "Young Adult Blue" is). I suspect that Aetna has some racket going where they get exclusive network affiliation with all the UM hospitals and doctors, but it's possible that some plans might still cover them at the same rates as any other providers. There are far cheaper plans than Aetna, and I've heard people say it's a massive PITA getting them to pay out on claims, so they're far from wonderful, even if they are "recommended." But just make sure you ask and know what the coverage is before you shell out for any plan.

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 pm

safari wrote:Last thing I saw said orientation was 24-28 August...
Per http://www.law.umich.edu/curriculum/Pages/acadcal.aspx, it is 24-28th. Does the orientation really last a full week? But the LC lease said that the orientation begins at 1pm on 08/26. I assume the website is more accurate.

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 pm

itzjulz wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote:I've been lurking on the forums for a while and since the servers are down at my work right now I figured it was a good of a time as any to just say hi to my future classmates. I'm coming in as a 1L from California. So if anyone's in the San Francisco area and wanted to get some drinks feel free to hit me up.

On a different note, is anyone kinda interested in going to that Blink 182 reunion concert in Detroit on Aug 22nd? They're playing with Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Chester French. Or did I just alienate half class by taste in music?
A few of us are already going! Buy your tickets on Wednesday from livenation.com and you can get lawn seats for $23 with no service fees 8) (They have a promotion running this summer - Fee Free Wednesdays or something)

So back to the concert (because law school is all about rocking out right? RIGHT?) But is this a set thing for sure, because if it is I'm going to get me some tickets right now

P.S. Can I hitch a ride with anyone, I don't think my nissan is going to make it all the way from Cali

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”