Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Anhimal

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Anhimal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Do you know if they send a response after receiving your 2nd deposit?

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:25 am

spencer26 wrote:Hello everyone, I hope no one minds if I jump in here with a few questions pertaining to school:

Are there certain classes that will be during the fall semester, and others during the winter semester during 1L? I am pretty sure that civil procedure I is in the fall.... But, is there a set schedule for each semester?

Do any current students on the thread use a mac for school? If yes, how does it work at Michigan? Is everything (bluebook) compatible with a mac?

Where do we check in when we move into the Lawyers' Club? Will it be obvious when I pull up to Ann Arbor in late August?

And the first day we can check in is the 21st, correct?

everyone freakin uses a mac. there's like 5 people in my section with a PC.

fuck that noise.

and yeah, you get a schedule for the semester.

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 am

Good to hear about the macs.

"Fuck that Noise" ? I am not sure I follow, is "that noise" pertaining to the lawyers' club?

And I guess I wasn't clear on the schedule question.... So, does the fall semester have a specific schedule (for example: civil procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, Contracts), or does everyone take the same set of classes during 1L, but in a random order?

Also, one question I forgot to ask: did any current students ever use LEEWS? If so, what did you think? Helpful?

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:35 am

For those asking about what classes you will have -- The registrar's website has the schedules up for each section. If you have your email addresses, you should be able to access that now. You don't know what section you're in yet, but you can see the range of possibilities. It's pseudo-random what order each section gets the classes in, but each one has three basic 1L subjects in the Fall and the other three in the Winter. Summer starters, of course, have their own 2.5 semester version of 1L or however it goes.

http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSch ... ?term=1760

http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSch ... ?term=1770

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks for the schedule info! I may have spent my entire 1/2 hour train ride to work this morning trying to figure out every possible combination for my schedule :oops:

Here's the cliff's notes version (minus legal practice) for everyone:

Section EFGH
Civ Pro (Cooper or Clark)
Contracts (Radin)
Torts (Clark)

Section IJKL
Crim (West)
Property (Miller)
Torts (Whitman or Horwitz)

Section MNOP
Contracts (Kraus or Crane)
Property (Krier)
Torts (Hershovitz or Herzog)

Section ABCD (summer start)
Contracts (White)
Con Law (Larsen or Coan)
Property (Krier)

So it looks like all of us Fall Starters have Torts for sure, with no Con Law until Winter semester

Current students: where will our section be posted? Somewhere on Wolverine Access, I'm assuming? I think I remember hearing that they might post tentative section assignments sometime during the summer.

Waiting to find out our sections reminds me of waiting to find out who your elementary school teacher was going to be each year.. The day you got your letter in the mail mid-summer, you called all of your friends to see who was going to be in your class. Fast forward 15 years, and my anxiety level is still the same as when I was 10 years old.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am

I like Clark but a double dose of Clark in two classes in one semester is a lot of Clark.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 am

awesomepossum wrote:I like Clark but a double dose of Clark in two classes in one semester is a lot of Clark.

Sherman Clark isn't teaching Civ Pro, just Torts. Civ Pro is Bradford Clark.. Who is that, his evil twin?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:12 am

ooooh....that's confusing.

I have no idea who Bradford Clark is.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 am

awesomepossum wrote:ooooh....that's confusing.

I have no idea who Bradford Clark is.

Google search revealed the mystery.. Visiting prof from GW

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Faculty/profile.aspx?id=1748

It looks like he was at Harvard in 2007. Hopefully there are some GW or H students that will have outlines and exams :?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 am

I had a visiting prof for civ pro last year. I decided to just make my own outline. Since Michigan teaches Civ Pro a little differently from everywhere else, any outlines you get from another school are probably not going to be that useful. I've found it's pretty good to make at least one outline a semester for a class that you find more difficult anyway. My best grades have been for classes I've made my own outlines for.

For Torts with S. Clark you can just get one of a bajillion good outlines floating around and tune it for your own use.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for EFGH

I like Sherman Clark (mostly because he was nice to me when I knocked over the tape recorder during his mock class at Preview weekend :oops: , and because he remembered I was from Detroit from the conversation I had with him during the faculty reception)

I am also (probably irrationally) scared of Richard Primus, and EFGH doesn't have him for Con Law Winter semester :)

tl

Postby tl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:42 am

IJKL is the section to be in next year. I <3 Mark West.

tl

Postby tl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 am

spencer26 wrote:Where do we check in when we move into the Lawyers' Club? Will it be obvious when I pull up to Ann Arbor in late August?

The main entrance to the Lawyers Club is on State St. directly across the street from the Frat House with the beach volleyball pit out in front. It should be obvious on the day you move in.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:04 pm

There are 12 sections so 30 people to a section? I thought it was 90...

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Anhimal wrote:There are 12 sections so 30 people to a section? I thought it was 90...

those 12 sections are just for legal practice purposes. From what I understand, there are four sections: (ABCD), (EFGH), (IJKL), and (MNOP), which further break down where the classes necessitate it.

So you might be in section K for legal practice, but if asked, you'd probably tell someone that you were in "IJKL"

WIdan

Postby WIdan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:18 pm

tl wrote:IJKL is the section to be in next year. I <3 Mark West.

I remember talking to Mark West at the ASW. I'd been at UVA the previous weekend, and he tried to convince me that UVA's law building was great because it has really wide hallways.

Seeing that the summer starters have JJ White kinda makes me wish I hadn't switched to fall start.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:20 pm

I have JJ for secured transactions and bankruptcy next semester. Good times.

lilybbloom

Postby lilybbloom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm

hi guys- it looks like i won't be attending michigan this year after all, but i wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all their help and advice- special thanks to awesomepossum for being such an awesome host at the ASW. i've always known that the students at michigan are really by far the nicest, most down-to-earth law students possible, and i'm sad i won't get to hang out with you all next year-
take care!
xoxo

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:26 pm

itzjulz wrote:I am also (probably irrationally) scared of Richard Primus, and EFGH doesn't have him for Con Law Winter semester :)

Don't worry! He's one of the best professors at Michigan (probably anywhere), and you will be grateful for how well you know con law for the rest of your days if you have him. Intense? Yes. Scary or mean? No.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:27 pm

itzjulz wrote:I'm keeping my fingers crossed for EFGH

I like Sherman Clark (mostly because he was nice to me when I knocked over the tape recorder during his mock class at Preview weekend :oops: , and because he remembered I was from Detroit from the conversation I had with him during the faculty reception)

I am also (probably irrationally) scared of Richard Primus, and EFGH doesn't have him for Con Law Winter semester :)

Haha, that was great. To be fair, you handled it quite well.

lilybbloom wrote:hi guys- it looks like i won't be attending michigan this year after all, but i wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all their help and advice- special thanks to awesomepossum for being such an awesome host at the ASW. i've always known that the students at michigan are really by far the nicest, most down-to-earth law students possible, and i'm sad i won't get to hang out with you all next year-
take care!
xoxo

Really sad to hear that Lily! Where are you gonna end up? We'll all miss you next year.

Edit: Just saw your Chicago post. Congrats on that! I know how important being in Chicago was, so I'm glad it worked out for you!

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm

lilybbloom wrote:hi guys- it looks like i won't be attending michigan this year after all, but i wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all their help and advice- special thanks to awesomepossum for being such an awesome host at the ASW. i've always known that the students at michigan are really by far the nicest, most down-to-earth law students possible, and i'm sad i won't get to hang out with you all next year-
take care!
xoxo

Congrats on Chicago, Lily! You always have a place to stay at your almost-home if you want to come visit :D We should definitely get lunch or drinks soon to celebrate :)

(On a semi-related note, if there are any girls still looking for roommates that would be interested in living at Woodbury, let me know 8) )

tcortez

Postby tcortez » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:38 pm

so does the sections get determined based on last name or just random? like how do i know which section i'd be in as a fall starter?

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:48 pm

tcortez wrote:so do the sections get determined based on last name or just randomly? like how do i know which section i'd be in as a fall starter?

The sections are determined by Michigan and they're done strategically, not according to a numeric formula or last name. You won't know until you come for orientation and they tell you.

tcortez

Postby tcortez » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:57 pm

just a girl wrote:
tcortez wrote:so do the sections get determined based on last name or just randomly? like how do i know which section i'd be in as a fall starter?

The sections are determined by Michigan and they're done strategically, not according to a numeric formula or last name. You won't know until you come for orientation and they tell you.

cool thanks

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Strategically? Care to elaborate? Sounds interesting =)

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”