Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
snotrocket

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:25 pm

WIdan wrote:Do any of the current students know much about or have experience with any of the following clinics?

Innocence Clinic
Mediation Clinic
Criminal Appellate Clinic

Are there particular clinics that are most popular and therefore harder to get into?

The Criminal Appellate clinic is taught by a couple of the attorneys from the Michigan State Appellate Defender Office. It's an outstanding experience that everyone seems to like. People take it even if they're not interested in criminal work, but just appellate litigation in general. The one attorney who teaches it said they're oversubscribed every term (they only take 12). He said they will give preference to 3Ls and people who haven't gotten into any clinic before when deciding who to take. When you apply for clinics, do try to apply for two or three if you have a genuine interest in them. People basically get assigned in a big meeting where the instructors sit down with all the apps and just horse trade for who gets who. They'll consider what you want, but they also try to find a spot for everyone, as best they can.

I have no idea how "hard" it is to get into the Innocence Clinic, but I got in, so take that for what it's worth. That one is a year-long commitment, so keep that in mind (I saw that as a plus, but I imagine that not everyone would). Most of the clinics don't look at anything other than a 100 word statement that you write about why you want your first choice. Only a couple of them ask for a resume. So I think it helps to make your statement focused, pointed, and interesting. Try to convey not only why the work the clinic does matters to you, but also how what you can bring will serve the clients that they take. Unlike classes, in the clinic it's all about the client. These are real people counting on YOU to solve their problems. Little problems like, you know, spending the rest of their lives in prison.

Also, if you have a problem getting into the clinics as classes but you still want the experience, keep in mind that several of them take on students to work cases over the summer (and unlike most public interest gigs, they will pay you). The Child Advocacy Clinic also has a named fellowship that you can apply for to work there in the summer (it's actually for child advocacy work anywhere, but the CAC at Michigan happens to take a number of the fellows each year).

You may not get your first choice the first time around, but if you apply for at least two and just keep trying, then you will definitely get into something before you graduate. I get the feeling that if they see your name come up a second or third time, then they will find some way to fit you in somewhere.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Alexandria wrote:Also, while you get a lot of credits, everyone says it's more work than the credits you get.

Yep. Someone told me the rule of thumb is to consider the 7 credit clinics as 10 credit classes in terms of the amount of work required.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Alexandria wrote:15 credits is still a pretty heavy courseload, even with 3 p/f. Fall semester of 2L year, I took 12 and P/Fed 6. It was sweet. I think I did 11 callbacks, so the easy courseload was necessary.

I think it's mostly possible to just do callbacks on Thursday/Friday, but I had to do a couple on Tuesdays, too. Everyone wants the Thursdays and Fridays, and since you don't want to schedule your callbacks too late (bc then it's harder to get an offer), you may find you need to schedule some on other weekdays.

My upperclass semesters are/will be 12 (6 p/f), 13 (3), 13 (3), 13 (3).

Or possibly my 3L year will be 16 (p/f 6, but 3 of those are actually not a class, but an extra-curricular I get credit for), 10 (no pf).

For any of the 2012 people reading this, be aware that they're changing the rules on P/F credits significantly starting with you. Class of 2011 and prior got a 15 credit-hour allowance that we could use at any time after 1L, but we had to decide which classes to use it on before taking the exam. We're also not allowed to P/F more than two courses in our final semester. Class of 2012 and later (including summer people that just started) now have the option of "converting" any letter grade received in 2L or 3L to a "P," within three weeks after all grades are posted, but they can only do this for two (2) classes total.

WIdan

Postby WIdan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:06 am

[quote="snotrocket"]
The Criminal Appellate clinic is taught by a couple of the attorneys from the Michigan State Appellate Defender Office. It's an outstanding experience that everyone seems to like. People take it even if they're not interested in criminal work, but just appellate litigation in general. The one attorney who teaches it said they're oversubscribed every term (they only take 12). He said they will give preference to 3Ls and people who haven't gotten into any clinic before when deciding who to take. When you apply for clinics, do try to apply for two or three if you have a genuine interest in them. People basically get assigned in a big meeting where the instructors sit down with all the apps and just horse trade for who gets who. They'll consider what you want, but they also try to find a spot for everyone, as best they can.

I have no idea how "hard" it is to get into the Innocence Clinic, but I got in, so take that for what it's worth. That one is a year-long commitment, so keep that in mind (I saw that as a plus, but I imagine that not everyone would). Most of the clinics don't look at anything other than a 100 word statement that you write about why you want your first choice. Only a couple of them ask for a resume. So I think it helps to make your statement focused, pointed, and interesting. Try to convey not only why the work the clinic does matters to you, but also how what you can bring will serve the clients that they take. Unlike classes, in the clinic it's all about the client. These are real people counting on YOU to solve their problems. Little problems like, you know, spending the rest of their lives in prison.
[quote]

Thanks, everyone. It's good to hear that the three clinics I'm interested are well received.

Snotrocket, are you doing the Innocence Clinic next year, or did you do it this past year? Do you have an interest in criminal law or criminal defense?

tcortez

Postby tcortez » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:58 pm

I want to do some type of work with Education. Any idea which clinic is the best for that? Is is Child Advocacy? Or the Urban communities Clinic? Gracias

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 pm

tcortez wrote:I want to do some type of work with Education. Any idea which clinic is the best for that? Is is Child Advocacy? Or the Urban communities Clinic? Gracias

It isn't a clinic, but you might want to look into Wolverine Street Law. It's a flexible time commitment and it's quite fun!

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:20 pm

I've been lurking on the forums for a while and since the servers are down at my work right now I figured it was a good of a time as any to just say hi to my future classmates. I'm coming in as a 1L from California. So if anyone's in the San Francisco area and wanted to get some drinks feel free to hit me up.

On a different note, is anyone kinda interested in going to that Blink 182 reunion concert in Detroit on Aug 22nd? They're playing with Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Chester French. Or did I just alienate half class by taste in music?

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:I've been lurking on the forums for a while and since the servers are down at my work right now I figured it was a good of a time as any to just say hi to my future classmates. I'm coming in as a 1L from California. So if anyone's in the San Francisco area and wanted to get some drinks feel free to hit me up.

On a different note, is anyone kinda interested in going to that Blink 182 reunion concert in Detroit on Aug 22nd? They're playing with Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Chester French. Or did I just alienate half class by taste in music?

A few of us are already going! Buy your tickets on Wednesday from livenation.com and you can get lawn seats for $23 with no service fees 8) (They have a promotion running this summer - Fee Free Wednesdays or something)

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Umm, how did I miss this concert? Do you already have tickets Julz? And where in SF area are you Chewbaca? I work in Palo Alto but I'm in the city every weekend.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:09 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Umm, how did I miss this concert? Do you already have tickets Julz? And where in SF area are you Chewbaca? I work in Palo Alto but I'm in the city every weekend.

I completely forgot to buy them last week, so I'm getting them first thing Wednesday morning. My bf and his brother are coming as well. Get a ticket! We can all tailgate before the show :D And we can reserve a space on the lawn that won't be covered in 14 year old kids with skinny jeans and gauged ears. :|

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 pm

itzjulz wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote:I've been lurking on the forums for a while and since the servers are down at my work right now I figured it was a good of a time as any to just say hi to my future classmates. I'm coming in as a 1L from California. So if anyone's in the San Francisco area and wanted to get some drinks feel free to hit me up.

A few of us are already going! Buy your tickets on Wednesday from livenation.com and you can get lawn seats for $23 with no service fees 8) (They have a promotion running this summer - Fee Free Wednesdays or something)

Awesome, I'm flying in on the 21st and I don't think I want my second experience of michigan to be of going to detroit alone and end up getting stabbed in the face.

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Umm, how did I miss this concert? Do you already have tickets Julz? And where in SF area are you Chewbaca? I work in Palo Alto but I'm in the city every weekend.

I work close to the Ferry building in the financial district, but I live over in Hercules in the east bay but I'm down to hang out whenever.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:Awesome, I'm flying in on the 21st and I don't think I want my second experience of michigan to be of going to detroit alone and end up getting stabbed in the face.

lol. The concert is actually not in Detroit, it's north of the city in Clarkston. (About an hour from Ann Arbor)

Clarkston is a pretty suburban area - It's not likely you'll be stabbed, unless you tell some poor teenage girl that Pete Wentz won't agree to marrying her.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm

WIdan wrote:Snotrocket, are you doing the Innocence Clinic next year, or did you do it this past year? Do you have an interest in criminal law or criminal defense?

Next year. And yes, criminal defense is the entire reason I came to law school.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:16 pm

itzjulz wrote:

I completely forgot to buy them last week, so I'm getting them first thing Wednesday morning. My bf and his brother are coming as well. Get a ticket! We can all tailgate before the show :D And we can reserve a space on the lawn that won't be covered in 14 year old kids with skinny jeans and gauged ears. :|

That show would be a blast (not a huge FOB fan myself, but I'd love to see Blink and Panic!). I wonder if we could get a decent amount of people to join us for the night as sort of a pre-orientation/non-MAP event. Should we hit the facebook group and see if we can drum up some interest?

safari

Postby safari » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:25 pm

I have a question for all you folks staying at the Woodbury--did you visit before you decided, or are you signing a lease before you get to AA? I really think it's a good place for me, but with my work schedule I don't know that I can get there till the end of the summer, and I'd be worried all the apartments would be gone...

For those who have visited, or already live in Ann Arbor--is the area around Woodbury pretty safe, crime-wise? Not necessarily violent crime, but for break-ins, burglary, vandalism?

The housing situation is really starting to stress me out!!!

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:41 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:That show would be a blast (not a huge FOB fan myself, but I'd love to see Blink and Panic!). I wonder if we could get a decent amount of people to join us for the night as sort of a pre-orientation/non-MAP event. Should we hit the facebook group and see if we can drum up some interest?

Brilliant idea! Make the title of the post "well I guess this is growing up, Michigan Law style" :mrgreen: I think there'd be a few takers.

safari wrote:I have a question for all you folks staying at the Woodbury--did you visit before you decided, or are you signing a lease before you get to AA? I really think it's a good place for me, but with my work schedule I don't know that I can get there till the end of the summer, and I'd be worried all the apartments would be gone...

For those who have visited, or already live in Ann Arbor--is the area around Woodbury pretty safe, crime-wise? Not necessarily violent crime, but for break-ins, burglary, vandalism?

I did visit, but my visit confirmed the information I already pretty much knew. At worst, you lose your application fee if you hate the place, since woodbury offers a 30-day lease break option - If you decide you don't like it or find something better you can back out of your lease within the first month.

The area around there seems fairly safe. There are railroad tracks that run through the area, which makes it look a little sketch, but otherwise it seems nicer than a lot of the areas surrounding central campus.

Here's a link to a crime map for ann arbor: http://www.arborweb.com/articles/crime_maps/. It looks like there were a few burglaries in the area over the last few months, but considerably more activity closer to campus.

BigBlockofCheeseDay

Postby BigBlockofCheeseDay » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Blink 182 is the soundtrack to my misspent youth. This is a brilliant idea, count me in for sure.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm going with itzjulz. We definitely need to get a huge crowd going - It's gonna be a blast :D

Postby 06072010 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 pm

safari wrote:I have a question for all you folks staying at the Woodbury--did you visit before you decided, or are you signing a lease before you get to AA? I really think it's a good place for me, but with my work schedule I don't know that I can get there till the end of the summer, and I'd be worried all the apartments would be gone...

Yes, very. Ann Arbor on the whole is pretty goddamn tame. Woodbury is a decently nice place. I had my personal beef with it (crappy neighbors -- just shitty luck) but the area is nice. Go visit a craphole downtown apartment and then go to Woodbury, you'll know where those extra bucks are being spent at.

Postby 06072010 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:13 pm

USC2009 wrote:

I'm going with itzjulz. We definitely need to get a huge crowd going - It's gonna be a blast :D

I dunno if I'm allowed in. Do I have to wear my skinny jeans and mascara?

BigBlockofCheeseDay

Postby BigBlockofCheeseDay » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 pm

PKSebben wrote:I dunno if I'm allowed in. Do I have to wear my skinny jeans and mascara?

You can do without the mascara, but eyeliner is key.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:44 pm

PKSebben wrote:
USC2009 wrote:

I dunno if I'm allowed in. Do I have to wear my skinny jeans and mascara?

Hey... I'm going for the nostalgia of seeing Blink 182. I don't listen to any of the other bands.

It'll be my concert from 2 weeks ago all over again- I went to see No Doubt, the billions of teenage girls went to see Paramore open. I was seriously a foot taller than everyone else except for my friends.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:05 pm

In other news... did anyone else reserve the new iPhone 3GS? 32gig black waiting for me... next Friday!

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 pm

i don't want to give att an extra 200 tbh

and you kids that are higher ups

15 credits next semester with 3 exams? Y/N? it's a double dose of lutz. :o

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:46 am

Hello everyone, I hope no one minds if I jump in here with a few questions pertaining to school:

Are there certain classes that will be during the fall semester, and others during the winter semester during 1L? I am pretty sure that civil procedure I is in the fall.... But, is there a set schedule for each semester?

Do any current students on the thread use a mac for school? If yes, how does it work at Michigan? Is everything (bluebook) compatible with a mac?

Where do we check in when we move into the Lawyers' Club? Will it be obvious when I pull up to Ann Arbor in late August?

And the first day we can check in is the 21st, correct?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”