Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dresden doll

Platinum

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 pm

wonderinggg wrote:
Merriweather wrote:how much of a fucking douchebag do you have to be to whine about a 3.6
At this point, a 3.6 would be the very best I could get, and probably it will be a 3.5 or lower. And I did well last semester, so I'm kind of bummed. Is that too hard to understand?
Isn't 3.6 considered in the realm of 'doing well' too, though? Not trying to fan the flames, but I thought median was at 3.3....

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:
wonderinggg wrote:
Merriweather wrote:how much of a fucking douchebag do you have to be to whine about a 3.6
At this point, a 3.6 would be the very best I could get, and probably it will be a 3.5 or lower. And I did well last semester, so I'm kind of bummed. Is that too hard to understand?
Isn't 3.6 considered in the realm of 'doing well' too, though? Not trying to fan the flames, but I thought median was at 3.3....
Of course; it's fantastic. But it's all relative, you know? I don't blame the guy for being disappointed if he was top 10% after the first semester and then had a significant drop. It can make a big difference if you're dreaming of Law Review and academia or a Supreme Court clerkship or the very most selective firm jobs. That said, anyone with a 3.5 is still in great shape for OCI.

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:23 pm

dresden doll wrote:
wonderinggg wrote:
median's about 3.25.
Alexandria wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
wonderinggg wrote:
Of course; it's fantastic. But it's all relative, you know? I don't blame the guy for being disappointed if he was top 10% after the first semester and then had a significant drop. It can make a big difference if you're dreaming of Law Review and academia or a Supreme Court clerkship or the very most selective firm jobs. That said, anyone with a 3.5 is still in great shape for OCI.
i don't blame him for being disappointed. i blame him for coming to a forum in which he obviously knows most likely contains some of the 80-90% of students below him and saying "shit, shit, shit, 3.6!" it's tacky at best.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:35 pm

Yeah, I sort of agree.

But I also see the value in using an internet forum to ask those questions that you can't really ask around school.

safari

New

Post by safari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm

tl wrote:
Yes. There is free parking in the residential areas behind the law school.
Please forgive what I freely admit is an incredibly stupid question, but which direction is "behind" the law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:29 pm

safari wrote:
tl wrote:
Please forgive what I freely admit is an incredibly stupid question, but which direction is "behind" the law school?
Southeast.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Alexandria wrote:I have no idea about "abandoning hope." With 3.5-3.6, you should be top 20%. But one thing I have heard was that last year, they made the process a bit more grades-centered than it had been. Apparently, before that, a lot of people with the very top grades were not making it on. So the situation was hurting Michigan students in getting the very top clerkships, bc we had LR people w/o the best grades and people with top grades w/o LR. And there are some judges who want both. So what I heard was that the school put pressure on LR to change their process to help rectify the situation.
That's disappointing -- that the school would "pressure" LR to change it's process for this particular reason, and that LR would go along with it. I guess they felt like they had little choice, given they're dependent on the school for most of their support resources. But LR is, at least in theory, supposed to be something different from and complementary to getting top grades, not just another token handed out like candy to the top 10%. I don't know how the selection process differs now from before this, but it is true now that at least 3/4 of the seats are filled by cuts that take grades into account. And the writing-score-only "stage" only fills "up to" 25% of the seats available, so it's anyone's guess how close to 25% they will go. The second cut is grades only, and the third is grades + writing score, with writing score "more heavily weighted," though again, to what degree we don't know.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Merriweather wrote:median's about 3.25.
That's the per-class target mean, but the overall median of cumulative GPA could be a good bit different. Among other things, not all classes hit the mean right on, and there's a good bit of slippage allowed in the min and max for each letter grade in the curve. So you could have classes off by a fair amount, and classes that hit the class mean, but with a median noticeably above or below it. The same could be true when you're looking at the distribution of cumulative GPA, even if all classes hit the required mean. At graduation the median cumulative GPA hovers right around 3.34 pretty consistently, so at the end of 1L it's maybe a hair lower -- likely around 3.30.

safari

New

Post by safari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Merriweather wrote:
safari wrote:
tl wrote:
Southeast.
thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 pm

snotrocket wrote:
That's the per-class target mean, but the overall median of cumulative GPA could be a good bit different. Among other things, not all classes hit the mean right on, and there's a good bit of slippage allowed in the min and max for each letter grade in the curve. So you could have classes off by a fair amount, and classes that hit the class mean, but with a median noticeably above or below it. The same could be true when you're looking at the distribution of cumulative GPA, even if all classes hit the required mean. At graduation the median cumulative GPA hovers right around 3.34 pretty consistently, so at the end of 1L it's maybe a hair lower -- likely around 3.30.
3.25 is the highest of target means. 3.12-3.25 or something.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Current students - how much do you think you spend monthly on gas, electricity, and water? I know that this will differ depending on the time of year, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 pm

USC2009 wrote:Current students - how much do you think you spend monthly on gas, electricity, and water? I know that this will differ depending on the time of year, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate.
Small, older three-bedroom house, no air conditioning, gas heat, dryer, and water heater, electric stove and oven, thermostat set at 65 day 62 night in the winter -- the budget plan (constant amount billed every month year-round) is $159 per month for gas and electric. Landlord pays the water, so I have no idea on that. I'd imagine in a newer apartment building, with a smaller space, better insulation -- obviously would be less (though having a/c might offset that, depending on how much you run it in the summer).

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:53 pm

snotrocket wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Current students - how much do you think you spend monthly on gas, electricity, and water? I know that this will differ depending on the time of year, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate.
Small, older three-bedroom house, no air conditioning, gas heat, dryer, and water heater, electric stove and oven, thermostat set at 65 day 62 night in the winter -- the budget plan (constant amount billed every month year-round) is $159 per month for gas and electric. Landlord pays the water, so I have no idea on that. I'd imagine in a newer apartment building, with a smaller space, better insulation -- obviously would be less (though having a/c might offset that, depending on how much you run it in the summer).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:33 am

water is included almost everywhere

my electric got as high as 150 (january. heat is electric.) but during the early autumn it was as low as 40

gas included.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:04 am

snotrocket wrote:
I seriously doubt this. If the median GPA is 3.34 at graduation, and that's including all those classes that are not graded on a curve, there's no way the 1L GPA median is a 3.3 I think it's more of a 3.2 if not lower.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:07 am

tl wrote:I seriously doubt this. If the median GPA is 3.34 at graduation, and that's including all those classes that are not graded on a curve, there's no way the 1L GPA median is a 3.3 I think it's more of a 3.2 if not lower.
Anything is possible, but the grad GPA cutoffs are what the school sends out as an FYI to employers to "put our grades in context." Also keep in mind that any effect of "softer grading" upper class small courses could be largely offset by the fact that a significant number of people (probably 50-80% of those that come out of OCI with jobs that they want) will put forth the minimum work they can get by on during 2L and 3L. It's just as likely that the overall distribution of cumulative GPA moves very little or even declines a bit relative to 1L as it is that the median moves up significantly. It's not like everyone can just take 14 credits of seminars every semester, and when you factor in the credit hours and class size, the bulk of upper class credits are still curved.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:21 am

Merriweather wrote:3.25 is the highest of target means. 3.12-3.25 or something.
Yes, I misstated. The "target" mean for each class 3.19, with an allowed range of 3.13-3.25. The median can still be significantly higher or lower if the curve is heavy in one tail or the other.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:53 am

Merriweather wrote:
water is included almost everywhere

my electric got as high as 150 (january. heat is electric.) but during the early autumn it was as low as 40

gas included.
Okay, thanks. I believe on Woodbury's forms it mentions that we would have to pay water.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:20 pm

http://www.law.umich.edu/historyandtrad ... istory.pdf

Interesting info.

Tuition in 1950 was $450 a year. WTF.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Wow.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Wow. Wow. Wow.

Wow.
My thoughts exactly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Have any future 1Ls successfully purchased season football tickets yet? My ticket account says "no application available"...?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:42 pm

tralinds wrote:Have any future 1Ls successfully purchased season football tickets yet? My ticket account says "no application available"...?
Yes, I got mine. I also had an e-mail in my umich account with instructions. You were a UM undergrad, right? Maybe because your info was already in the system, it's not triggering that you're a "new student"? I'd call the ticket office.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:37 pm

itzjulz wrote:
tralinds wrote:Have any future 1Ls successfully purchased season football tickets yet? My ticket account says "no application available"...?
Yes, I got mine. I also had an e-mail in my umich account with instructions. You were a UM undergrad, right? Maybe because your info was already in the system, it's not triggering that you're a "new student"? I'd call the ticket office.
Hmm, yah I was an undergrad there. You're probably right. I sent them an email. Thanks :)

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Sent in my 2nd deposit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”