Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
awesomepossum

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 am

joyce615 wrote:
USC2009 wrote:
summertimechi wrote:k, just a couple more q's for you ppl in the know.

1) are the season tix worth it? for someone who watches football every once in a blue moon and would rather contribute $200 to Barney's across the street? can't i just buy a single ticket for some of the big games if for some reason i feel like going?

I would buy the tickets. Individual tickets (if USC games are any indication) will usually start at around 35-40 for the less important games. Big games will probably start closer to 70, 80, 90, etc. It's a good way to get to know people, it WILL be the only thing going on most saturdays in the fall, and it's a blast.

Did you ever see that episode of Friends where Rachel missed out on a bunch of important conversations at work because she didn't join her coworkers in the smokers lounge? Yeah, same thing, with less lung cancer and more liver damage.

tickets don't sell that high in my experience with my mich season tickets. you can only count on coming out even. the big games will go for 2x or more, but you'll lose money on the smaller games if you are able to sell at all.

well last year we didn't have crazy home games we'll have this year.

I think you can count on making a bundle if you put some effort into it with the OSU and ND games.

tl

Postby tl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:14 am

dmreust wrote:I actually have an unrelated question (sorry). I'm looking at what laptop I should get for school and was wondering if current students could chime in on something for me. During 1L year did you ever need a disk drive during class on your laptop? I'm looking at getting a computer that would be a good fit for me, but doesn't have one included. I worry that there may be times where I would have to have one in class. Otherwise, I'll just get a USB drive and load up anything I must have in the Lawyer's Club.

I have a laptop that doesn't have a disk drive, but I have an external one. The only time that you need a disk drive is to install the EBB software and the printer drivers for the law school (they give you this during orientation. But if I'm not mistaken, all the same software is online too.

dmreust

Postby dmreust » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:28 am

tl wrote:
dmreust wrote:I actually have an unrelated question (sorry). I'm looking at what laptop I should get for school and was wondering if current students could chime in on something for me. During 1L year did you ever need a disk drive during class on your laptop? I'm looking at getting a computer that would be a good fit for me, but doesn't have one included. I worry that there may be times where I would have to have one in class. Otherwise, I'll just get a USB drive and load up anything I must have in the Lawyer's Club.

I have a laptop that doesn't have a disk drive, but I have an external one. The only time that you need a disk drive is to install the EBB software and the printer drivers for the law school (they give you this during orientation. But if I'm not mistaken, all the same software is online too.

Awesome, that's what I figured and helps assure me I'm not making a horrible decision. Thanks!

tl

Postby tl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:24 am

Alexandria wrote:There's also a long-term parking option for LC residents, isn't there?

No. There's a commuter lot through the University that's a 10-15 minute walk.

spencer26 wrote:So let me clear up some confusion here, you can live in the Lawyer's Club and just park your car in a residential area for free?

Yes. There is free parking in the residential areas behind the law school.

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:21 pm

tl wrote:

It is online; I never went to that part of orientation and did the whole thing from my room. Disk drives are obsolete. And by the way, every time you're the most recent post in this thread, I think maybe Radin put up grades. :(

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:26 pm

don't complain people. EFGH has NO grades.

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Just popping in to say that bar review is both not as bad and far, far worse than I had anticipated/feared.

Hope summer jobs are going well for the continuing students! Hope the summer starters are settling in well. Hope the fall starters are relaxing.

tl

Postby tl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:51 pm

MLaw11 wrote:And by the way, every time you're the most recent post in this thread, I think maybe Radin put up grades. :(

Sorry. : (

I don't think we are ever getting our Contracts grades.

tl

Postby tl » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:52 pm

awesomepossum wrote:don't complain people. EFGH has NO grades.

It's worse to be waiting for your final grade then waiting for all your grades.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:42 pm

tl wrote:
Alexandria wrote:There's also a long-term parking option for LC residents, isn't there?

spencer26 wrote:So let me clear up some confusion here, you can live in the Lawyer's Club and just park your car in a residential area for free?

Are you sure? I thought there was some kind of storage parking for people who will only want to get their car out once or twice a month.

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Alexandria wrote:
tl wrote:

Are you sure? I thought there was some kind of storage parking for people who will only want to get their car out once or twice a month.

At the Varsity Tennis Center, $16/mo., mile and a half to walk, bus runs weekdays.

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Radin Contracts is uuuuuuuuupppppp

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Geez, the grade for the paper I turned in Sunday night is up. So, that's my last grade. I guess it's official, official that I'm a 3L now. :)

wonderinggg

Postby wonderinggg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:58 pm

shit, shit second semester grades.

so do i have any shot at law review with a 3.5 or 3.6?

i hate my life.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:59 pm

tl wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:don't complain people. EFGH has NO grades.

It's worse to be waiting for your final grade then waiting for all your grades.

I've done both. They're equally miserable.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:00 pm

wonderinggg wrote:so do i have any shot at law review with a 3.5 or 3.6?

If you're in the top 10-11 out of everyone by write-on score, then you can get on with a 2.0.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm

How bad/good are things coming out of Michigan this year for you 2Ls and 3Ls? I'm surprised no one has asked.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:02 pm

If you mean something like a CD/DVD drive or some other external drive, then no, you don't need that for class.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Anhimal wrote:How bad/good are things coming out of Michigan this year for you 2Ls and 3Ls? I'm surprised no one has asked.

Other than 3Ls who might be deferred, nobody knows yet. The 2Ls won't be getting offers until the end of the summer, and Fall OCI isn't until . . . well, the fall. Nobody is going to know how good or bad it is anywhere until around August - October.
Last edited by snotrocket on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 pm

snotrocket wrote:
Anhimal wrote:How bad/good are things coming out of Michigan this year for you 2Ls and 3Ls? I'm surprised no one has asked.

Other than 3Ls who might be deferred, nobody knows yet. The 2Ls won't be getting offers until the end of the summer, and Fall OCI isn't until . . . well, the fall. Nobody anywhere is going to know how good or bad it is anywhere until around August - October.

Okie, I'll pester y'all in August. Good luck nonetheless, I hope it works out for everyone.

wonderinggg

Postby wonderinggg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 pm

snotrocket wrote:
wonderinggg wrote:so do i have any shot at law review with a 3.5 or 3.6?

If you're in the top 10-11 out of everyone by write-on score, then you can get on with a 2.0.

But...if I'm not in that 10-11 (unlikely, at this rate), should I abandon hope?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 pm

I have no idea about "abandoning hope." With 3.5-3.6, you should be top 20%. But one thing I have heard was that last year, they made the process a bit more grades-centered than it had been. Apparently, before that, a lot of people with the very top grades were not making it on. So the situation was hurting Michigan students in getting the very top clerkships, bc we had LR people w/o the best grades and people with top grades w/o LR. And there are some judges who want both. So what I heard was that the school put pressure on LR to change their process to help rectify the situation.

wonderinggg

Postby wonderinggg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Alexandria wrote:I have no idea about "abandoning hope." With 3.5-3.6, you should be top 20%. But one thing I have heard was that last year, they made the process a bit more grades-centered than it had been. Apparently, before that, a lot of people with the very top grades were not making it on. So the situation was hurting Michigan students in getting the very top clerkships, bc we had LR people w/o the best grades and people with top grades w/o LR. And there are some judges who want both. So what I heard was that the school put pressure on LR to change their process to help rectify the situation.

Thanks for the info. :-) I guess I'll just cross my fingers and try not to beat myself up for the next 2 months. sigh...

Merriweather

Postby Merriweather » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:06 pm

how much of a fucking douchebag do you have to be to whine about a 3.6

wonderinggg

Postby wonderinggg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Merriweather wrote:how much of a fucking douchebag do you have to be to whine about a 3.6

At this point, a 3.6 would be the very best I could get, and probably it will be a 3.5 or lower. And I did well last semester, so I'm kind of bummed. Is that too hard to understand?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”