Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
awesomepossum

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Tue May 26, 2009 11:23 pm

you go to the 'showcase' in the michigan union.

I'm pretty sure you need your ID though.

If you've paid your deposits, I thiiiink you should be able to get a student ID although I'm not 100%

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 pm

If it's the Mac edition, I'm sure you can buy it from the Apple Store online without an ID. Just buy the student version for the discount.

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 pm

airlineraddict wrote:If it's the Mac edition, I'm sure you can buy it from the Apple Store online without an ID. Just buy the student version for the discount.

Definitely not, it's for my new lenovo.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 27, 2009 12:03 am

Questions for airlineraddict, AP and the rest of current students on the thread - do you think the estimated COL figure on Michigan's website is accurate or by and large inflated? I have a rather hard time believing COL in AA comes out to 17,500k... :|

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 27, 2009 12:06 am

dresden doll wrote:Questions for airlineraddict, AP and the rest of current students on the thread - do you think the estimated COL figure on Michigan's website is accurate or by and large inflated? I have a rather hard time believing COL in AA comes out to 17,500k... :|

Coke is expensive.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 27, 2009 12:07 am

rayiner wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Questions for airlineraddict, AP and the rest of current students on the thread - do you think the estimated COL figure on Michigan's website is accurate or by and large inflated? I have a rather hard time believing COL in AA comes out to 17,500k... :|

Coke is expensive.

Shush, rayiner. It's a serious question, you know. Dammit, why is everyone offline now? Maybe I should hunt down AP on AIM.

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Wed May 27, 2009 12:12 am

I think it's somewhat generous, considering that they price it in accordance with the most expensive room in the Lawyers Club (10,600$ for the entire year). You could prob get a place off campus for a lot less, and have better meals to boot (using the meal money part of your COL).

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed May 27, 2009 12:12 am

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Coke is expensive.

Shush, rayiner. It's a serious question, you know. Dammit, why is everyone offline now? Maybe I should hunt down AP on AIM.

:P

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Wed May 27, 2009 12:14 am

Massive coke problem here, and I did fine.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 am

airlineraddict wrote:I think it's somewhat generous, considering that they price it in accordance with the most expensive room in the Lawyers Club (10,600$ for the entire year). You could prob get a place off campus for a lot less, and have better meals to boot (using the meal money part of your COL).

So you'd say it's definitely below 17,500k? Do you think somewhere around 1100k is a fair guesstimate?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 am

I think it's probably generous except for summer. You're likely going to want a source of funding for 1L summer, be it a paying job, SFF or something.

edit: 1100k?

1.1 million dollars?

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 am

dresden doll wrote:
airlineraddict wrote:I think it's somewhat generous, considering that they price it in accordance with the most expensive room in the Lawyers Club (10,600$ for the entire year). You could prob get a place off campus for a lot less, and have better meals to boot (using the meal money part of your COL).

So you'd say it's definitely below 17,500k? Do you think somewhere around 1100k is a fair guesstimate?

1100$ per month for room and food? You could pull it off. It'll be a little hard, but it's possible. I made it by with little more at one point in a more expensive city.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 27, 2009 12:22 am

airlineraddict wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

1100$ per month for room and food? You could pull it off. It'll be a little hard, but it's possible. I made it by with little more at one point in a more expensive city.

Yeah, that's what I meant. (LOL, AP.) Thanks, guys. That helps. I am trying to put some figures down on paper and the two schools seem fairly identical in terms of cost given that COL would be covered for me in Chicago + slightly cheaper tuition at U of C + small scholarship they gave me. But, factoring in the fact that estimated COL on Michigan's website is likely inflated, Michigan still wins, I think.

::sighs:: This would be a financial dream if SO relocated. My debt would be well below 100k.

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:50 am

Wow, major disappointment. I was so stoked to come back from lunch to see responses to my post. Unfortunately, there were none :cry: Which, leads me to my next question.... am I invisible?

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 am

spencer26 wrote:Wow, major disappointment. I was so stoked to come back from lunch to see responses to my post. Unfortunately, there were none :cry: Which, leads me to my next question.... am I invisible?

Here are my thoughts on pre-1L prep, even though I took the 'do nothing all summer' approach. This post was written in response to specific questions (I think a science major worried about Conlaw), but it applies generally.
MLaw11 wrote:I have little knowledge or opinion when it comes to prep classes, other than I've heard they're expensive and I'm skeptical that it's worth it.

I suppose E&Es could be of some use--and certainly won't hurt--but by no means are necessary. They do a great job of breaking the substantive law down into easy-to-understand explanations, but they're much broader in scope than your class will be. You will exposed to far more information than is necessary or useful, largely without the means to separate the wheat from the chaff. Useful but inefficient IMO.

I would recommend exposing oneself to some basic legal vocabulary; it will save a few moments of confusion during lecture where you should really be focusing on something other than "wtf is that word?" As far as U.S. History goes, same thing. Basic familiarity, but no need for overkill. No need to run out and buy Black's or a history text.

Call me crazy, but I'd recommend Wikipedia. Seriously. Read through the 14th Amendment section, then the more specific Equal Protection and Due Process ones, followed by federalism and separation of powers. From the dates and context of the cases they mention, I'd bet you glean as much historical and civic background as you need. Same for the vocab/terms/basic concepts. I just took a look at the Wikipedia contract page, and the table of contents hits pretty much every concept/term in a 1L course. Same for negligence and its sub-pages and mens rea/actus rea for Crim.

I'm sure a lot of people will completely disregard this, but I think it's great advice. Nobody's going to retain the 600 pages from an E&E. A short finals outline is appropriately concise, but won't explain things because it's written for someone who sat through the course. Wikipedia is concise yet offers explanation.

Any other law students out there want to check out the Wikis for Contract, Negligence, or Equal Protection and see if you agree with me?

joyce615

Postby joyce615 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:53 am

spencer26 wrote:I will agree with previous statements, I am getting nervous about law school. It seems everyone has their own strategy for success in law school, and quite frankly, reading them all, my head is swimming. It seems half of the people on this site recommend doing nothing over the summer to avoid burning out during the semester. However, I am going to side with the other half (as I know with my type-A personality, I will not burn out--I tend to be one maniacal, neurotic student) and try to do some "0L" reading. But, I was wondering if one of these current students in here might fill me in with their schedule on a typical day? How many hours per day studying, anytime for the news? anytime for the gym? etc... I am a little worried that I won't have any clue about what is going on in the world because I will be so busy with school.

Also what books to read? I know there are a million threads with an answer to this question, but I would like to see a Michigan-specific answer.... I am in China for the summer and will have only about two weeks in the States before classes start. Therefore, I want to be efficient with my time and read only materials that will be helpful. I plan to order them here, and have them waiting for me when get back into the country.

Any advice, suggestions, words of encouragement here will be greatly appreciated (hopefully responses will be more thorough than the ones to my last inquiry--which by the way, I am still looking for info. on the JD/MBA debacle....)

i wasn't consistent in my studying and didn't treat law school like a job, meaning i wasn't in law school mode from 9am-5pm. my hours were more scattered. on average though, i'd guess that i spent 1-1.5 hours per day on each subject if i did all my readings. you will definitely have time for reading news. judging by my classmates' internet browsing in class, CNN and NY Times seem to be popular distractions from listening to the professor.

do the pre-1L prep if it makes you feel better, but you will be surprised by how little of it helps when school rolls around. it has nothing to do with remembering what you've read...i suppose you could outline an E&E if you really wanted. i hate to say it but its really a learning process that starts with the casebooks. you just have to adjust to in the beginning and eventually you'll get better at understanding material and gleaning critical points from cases. you may even abandon case reading all together when you've figured out how to study for exams, but until you get there, there's no easy shortcut.

because i think supplements are mostly useful as a go-to for confusing concepts and for practice, i wouldn't suggest reading the E&Es until later (they're pretty thick and their value is in their problem sets). if you still plan to do summer reading, i think you are better off picking up the thinner "concepts & insights" books, i.e. chirelstein for K, abraham for torts--these are popular among michigan students.

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 am

dresden doll wrote:So you'd say it's definitely below 17,500k? Do you think somewhere around 1100k is a fair guesstimate?

Just make sure you include your actual cost for the things that their estimate covers. I don't have the new student budget in front of me, so I don't know if the $17,500 figure includes health insurance, for instance. Last year they factored in a laughably small amount for that by default (it wasn't even half of what the actual premium for the school's own student group plan charges for a single person -- you can ask that they up your budget for this if it's a problem). Also think about the summer, because you can't take loans for periods while you're not in class, and chances are probably 8 or 9 in 10 that you won't get either a paying job or a funded public interest position 1L year. You might have some plan to cover that already, or you might not. If you have to stretch the COL allowance to cover 12 months (especially if you plan to spend summer away from AA), then it starts to seem a bit less generous.

scarletmuse

Postby scarletmuse » Wed May 27, 2009 7:21 am

I don't usually respond to this question because I suspect my answer is not one that people want to hear, but IMO anything you do over the summer in the way of 1L prep is a big fat effing waste of time and money. The end.

I don't think that there's any harm in trying to prep, other than the inevitable drain on your soon-to-be-depleted stores of reserve energy, so go ahead and knock your socks off if it will bring comfort. But whatever you do, don't show up to school in August all smug about your prep. Karma's a bitch and she already isn't fond of law students.

You're much better off waiting until you get here and signing up for a tutor in every subject - someone who likely had your prof, did very well in 1L, and can work with you directly.

If anyone wants advice about productive things to do this summer:
-go to the gym a lot, or run a lot, or pick your particular poison and do that a lot.
-visit your grandma. visit your best friend.
-get your finances in order.

p.s. This little soapbox rant isn't directed AT anyone, and everyone should feel free to disregard it. After all, what does the old lady know? :lol:

oliviachicago

Postby oliviachicago » Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 am

safari wrote:
How did you find this place? What's the best way to find these slightly-out-of-the-way places? Craigslist?

I did Craigslist - none of the places that the rental agencies in Chicago showed us were very cool at all.

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Wed May 27, 2009 8:35 am

If you have a good reason to borrow more than the recommended budget they will let you, just email the financial aid office asap.

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Wed May 27, 2009 8:45 am

mr.undroppable wrote:

If you have a good reason to borrow more than the recommended budget they will let you, just email the financial aid office asap.

They're not lenient at all about that. You have to have a very, very good reason for needing to borrow more.

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Wed May 27, 2009 8:51 am

really? I guess I just had a good reason because they had no problem with it.

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 am

What was your reason, if you don't mind my asking? You can PM it to me if you want.

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:44 am

Thank you for the advice. So, being surrounded by zero native-English speakers, I find myself doing a lot of pondering about law school, my future, etc.. So I have come up with a few more questions..

I have seen on a thread somewhere on the site that a smart piece of advice for the "0L" summer is to begin thinking about what you want to do during the next summer, as this allows you to focus on school during November/December. I took that advice to heart and began searching the NALP directory. Now, I know it is a long shot these days to get hired at a firm as a 1L, but I figure I've got nothing to lose in applying. So, many firms say 1Ls can apply anytime after 12/01, how does this make sense as we most likely won't see grades from our first semester until mid-January I am guessing?

Also, what does the application consist of? (Sorry for the ignorance, please forgive me)

mr.undroppable

Postby mr.undroppable » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 am

my reason was the cost to buy insurance for my spouse.

about 1L jobs: You apply before you have grades, the application usually consists of a cover letter and resume, it's not rocket science. Some of the 'diversity' programs require writing samples and recommendations. While it is definitely a good idea to start looking at firms now, just so you are familiar with them when the time comes, don't get your hopes up too high for a firm job unless you have some kind of connection/extra something special going for you. This year it was tough. My only advice is to send out a ton of applications asap after 12/01.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”