Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Nietzsche

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Nietzsche » Mon May 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Things get started tomorrow morning at 7:30am in front of Hutchins.

Maybe a better question would be how late can we show up and still be good.
Granted, I live 5 mins away, but 7:30 am is still 7:30 am.....

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am

Can any current students who have been participating in the thread give me—or point me in the right direction to obtain—some information on a joint JD/MBA? Is the admissions staff at the business school a little more lenient towards current law students? The thought of the painstakingly laborious efforts needed in order to score in the top echelons on another standardized test is just about enough to scare me off. However, I figure giving the economy another year to right itself and adding some more letters after my last name, might not be too shabby of an idea (Not to mention the immediate respect a Michigan MBA demands) and might make it worth the effort. Also, my undergraduate degrees are in finance and economics… with this type of business background is an MBA really necessary? And one more question, what kind of death wish am I putting on myself by committing myself to GMAT study AND law school courses? Is the inevitable drop off in grades counterbalanced by the extra degree in the eyes of recruiters?

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 am

spencer26 wrote: Is the inevitable drop off in grades counterbalanced by the extra degree in the eyes of recruiters?

No. If you want to practice law, there are a lot of people who would tell you the JD/MBA isn't that helpful. Regardless of whether they're wrong or right, legal hiring is as numbers-centric as law school admissions. If you don't think you can keep your law school grades up while studying for the GMAT, don't do it.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Does anyone know how long a GMAT score is good for? If I'm going straight out of undergrad to law school, would I even be considered for a JD/MBA (no post-graduation W/E)?

I ask because I need something to do this summer, and it might as well be something productive.

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue May 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Is it worth it to get season football tickets to sell? I'm not interested in football games but I was wondering if I should purchase the season tickets anyway.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 26, 2009 6:14 pm

So, for those of you Summer Starters at orientation today... thoughts?

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue May 26, 2009 6:15 pm

So I maybe just got a little excited about that e-mail from Dean Z about buying football tickets.

:D

nicoz

Postby nicoz » Tue May 26, 2009 6:34 pm

topsome wrote:Is it worth it to get season football tickets to sell? I'm not interested in football games but I was wondering if I should purchase the season tickets anyway.

I'll buy them from you. PM me and let me know.

WIdan

Postby WIdan » Tue May 26, 2009 6:39 pm

itzjulz wrote:So I maybe just got a little excited about that e-mail from Dean Z about buying football tickets.

I'm a bit surprised Dean Z has never been to a football game.

FlightoftheEarls wrote:So, for those of you Summer Starters at orientation today... thoughts?

I'd also like to hear from the summer starters. I was supposed to be one, but I switched to fall.

nicoz

Postby nicoz » Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 pm

itzjulz wrote:So I maybe just got a little excited about that e-mail from Dean Z about buying football tickets.

I think those of us that grew up in MI may be a bit more excited, but I promise those of you that think you don't like football, or just not MI football, will change your mind once you see the Big House on a sat (unless we suck again, then its eerily quiet).

That being said, still sell me your tickets! :wink:

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

I just saw that email thanks to your post. I could not be more excited. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

lilybbloom

Postby lilybbloom » Tue May 26, 2009 6:49 pm

If the season tickets cost $200, how much profit can one expect to make by selling them individually on ebay or something similar?

Are the tickets that law students get in a good section?

mightydinosaur

Postby mightydinosaur » Tue May 26, 2009 7:14 pm

I am super excited! I'll be in the South Pacific the day they come out, though, so I am a little concerned I won't make it online in time. Any current students know how much I need to worry about this? I don't want to get waitlisted like I did with horrible old MAP.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 pm

lilybbloom wrote:If the season tickets cost $200, how much profit can one expect to make by selling them individually on ebay or something similar?

If you sell them to people who aren't students, you have to pay extra (per ticket) for a validation sticker. The lame games (i.e. vs. Western Michigan) are cheap, but the price of the sticker goes up for games like Ohio State.

Does this mean you won't come to football games with me? :( You can wear your Northwestern gear! :)

chłopak

Postby chłopak » Tue May 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Does anyone know if my SO can purchase season tickets in our student section? If not, she may want to buy season tickets from one of my fellow law students. :)

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue May 26, 2009 7:31 pm

--LinkRemoved--

This link should answer a lot of questions people have =)

safari

Postby safari » Tue May 26, 2009 7:52 pm

oliviachicago wrote:
james18 wrote:Quick question for current students -

I've narrowed my living choices down to an apartment complex about a 5-7 min walk from the law quad and a place a little north of the med school about a 5 min walk from a Michigan bus stop and with an Ann Arbor bus stop right outside. I figure that it's a maximum 25-30 min. trip from condo to law quad, but it seems that most 1Ls live much closer than that...

Any thoughts as to how the distance might impact my quality of life as a law student (meeting other 1Ls, getting involved in the school, study habits, etc.)? How many others come in from about that far away?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'm about to start for the summer, and my boyfriend and I decided on a beautiful place a bit farther from the law school. We definitely wanted quality over closeness. I'll be about a 5min bike ride or 20min walk. (No car here) But we have a 3 bedroom place with a huge balcony and a yard for the price of a 1 bedroom closer to campus. There are several others I've talked to who are opting for a small "commute."

How did you find this place? What's the best way to find these slightly-out-of-the-way places? Craigslist?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 26, 2009 7:52 pm

lilybbloom wrote:If the season tickets cost $200, how much profit can one expect to make by selling them individually on ebay or something similar?

I'd also like to know this.

itzjulz wrote:Does this mean you won't come to football games with me? :( You can wear your Northwestern gear! :)

Don't worry, Lily is coming to this games with us whether she likes it or not.

lilybbloom

Postby lilybbloom » Tue May 26, 2009 8:06 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

I'd also like to know this.

itzjulz wrote:Does this mean you won't come to football games with me? :( You can wear your Northwestern gear! :)

Don't worry, Lily is coming to this games with us whether she likes it or not.

Oh, really? :-)

I wish they were playing NU this year, but they aren't... that way I could be obnoxious in my NU gear.
I guess I'll buy the tickets and just sell the majority of them and use one or two.

p.s. I had nothing better to do on Sunday so I went on amazon and bought CivPro E&E, Chemerinsky ConLaw and Chirelstein Contracts... have you all read the TLS article about success in law school? I'm getting kind of nervous about classes...

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm hesitant to read anything before we know what our classes are.. I really don't feel like trying to learn Civ Pro if I'm not going to have the class until January..

Though I did buy a few E&E's last week on Amazon - only b/c they were cheap.

We'll be fine :)

I did read "Lawyer Boy" this week - great read. Especially for anyone who has spent time in both Michigan and Chicago/Illinois

spencer26

Postby spencer26 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:48 pm

I will agree with previous statements, I am getting nervous about law school. It seems everyone has their own strategy for success in law school, and quite frankly, reading them all, my head is swimming. It seems half of the people on this site recommend doing nothing over the summer to avoid burning out during the semester. However, I am going to side with the other half (as I know with my type-A personality, I will not burn out--I tend to be one maniacal, neurotic student) and try to do some "0L" reading. But, I was wondering if one of these current students in here might fill me in with their schedule on a typical day? How many hours per day studying, anytime for the news? anytime for the gym? etc... I am a little worried that I won't have any clue about what is going on in the world because I will be so busy with school.

Also what books to read? I know there are a million threads with an answer to this question, but I would like to see a Michigan-specific answer.... I am in China for the summer and will have only about two weeks in the States before classes start. Therefore, I want to be efficient with my time and read only materials that will be helpful. I plan to order them here, and have them waiting for me when get back into the country.

Any advice, suggestions, words of encouragement here will be greatly appreciated (hopefully responses will be more thorough than the ones to my last inquiry--which by the way, I am still looking for info. on the JD/MBA debacle....)

leotrotsky

Orientation

Postby leotrotsky » Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Too much talk from various administrators, but I suppose that's kinda their thing, huh?

Tomorrow is insane. They have us scheduled for a 'Service Day' from 730am - 200pm. Are you kidding me? We've got class on Thursday, and reading assignments for Torts and Civ Pro. We've got 10 dozen things we need to do in a relatively short amount of time, some don't even have textbooks yet, and they want to hijack our day for volunteer work?! Is this really the best use of our limited time before classes begin? Why not give us a library tour, or something actually useful to us as incoming 1Ls?

I don't want to knock volunteer work, I think it's a great part of life. It IS important to give back. But try to
1. not make it mandatory.
2. not schedule an ENTIRE DAY'S WORTH RIGHT BEFORE OUR CLASSES START

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue May 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Service day is really fun.

It's also a great way to meet people. Think of it as an icebreaker.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 pm

chłopak wrote:Does anyone know if my SO can purchase season tickets in our student section? If not, she may want to buy season tickets from one of my fellow law students. :)

so you can do what I do. just find another student. If you're a summer you can just ask one of your classmates. If not, you can try the class of '12 facebook group or something like that.

I found someone off of the class of '11 facebook group last year.

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 pm

How do we purchase microsoft office from michigan? Do we need michigan id? I'm going to be in ann arbor this thurs and want to get a copy for my new lap top but won't have a michigan id until later.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”