Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Wed May 20, 2009 11:02 pm

airlineraddict wrote:You'll almost definitely need the Bluebook.

More likely that not. But there are a couple here that use ALWD.

User avatar
Lindsey_saurus
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Lindsey_saurus » Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 pm

According to the admitted students' site:
Law 510 – Civil Procedure – Professor Croley
Civil procedure, Author: Stephen C. Yeazell., Publisher: Aspen Publishers 7th ed. 2008 [ISBN: 9780735569256]

Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Statutes 2008 Supplement., Author: Stephen C. Yeazell, Publisher: Aspen Law & Business 2008 [ISBN: 9780735572218]

Law 580 – Torts – Professor Clark
Cases and materials on torts, Author: Richard A. Epstein., Publisher: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business/Aspen Publishers 9th ed. 2008 [ISBN: 9780735569232]

Information regarding Legal Practice textbooks will be available once you have been assigned to a Legal Practice section. You will learn your Legal Practice section at Orientation.


It looks like you can check the legal practice section and textbooks on wolverine access:
Go to enrollment/my class schedule/springsummer 2009/textbook list view.

User avatar
airlineraddict
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby airlineraddict » Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 pm

I wish current students still had access to the admitted students website. That Ann Arbor flash video was pretty badass.

User avatar
spencer26
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby spencer26 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:05 am

So, the accounting for lawyers course was difficult? For those of you who have said that in this thread, was it difficult because you had never taken accounting courses before, or what?

User avatar
just a girl
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby just a girl » Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 am

I just ordered my Civ Pro and Torts books+hornbooks, E&Es for Civ pro, and a supplement for torts. I don't know what to buy for the legal practice class; my prof says the books are optional. I'm going to wait until classes start to see how truly optional they are. The prices were quite reasonable on Amazon, if anyone is still looking to purchase their books. I think the casebooks were each discounted close to $30 from the list price.

Now this whole law school thing feels even more real!

User avatar
airlineraddict
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby airlineraddict » Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 am

spencer26 wrote:So, the accounting for lawyers course was difficult? For those of you who have said that in this thread, was it difficult because you had never taken accounting courses before, or what?


I think it was difficult partly because the 1Ls in the class had to balance it with their second semester doctrinal courses.

User avatar
itzjulz
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby itzjulz » Thu May 21, 2009 10:50 am

just a girl wrote:I just ordered my Civ Pro and Torts books+hornbooks, E&Es for Civ pro, and a supplement for torts. I don't know what to buy for the legal practice class; my prof says the books are optional. I'm going to wait until classes start to see how truly optional they are. The prices were quite reasonable on Amazon, if anyone is still looking to purchase their books. I think the casebooks were each discounted close to $30 from the list price.

Now this whole law school thing feels even more real!


I actually picked up a couple used E&E's on amazon this week for super cheap (<$15 each, including shipping). Not planning on cracking them til the fall, but I couldn't pass up the deal

I also found someone on craigslist selling the exact Ikea desk I want - $140 desk for $25! As long as I don't get killed when I go to pick the thing up this afternoon, it's a great deal =)

User avatar
airlineraddict
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby airlineraddict » Thu May 21, 2009 11:04 am

I have some pretty cool supplements for sale if anyone's interested:
E&Es:
Torts (Barely used) ($20)
Contracts (Used, corners of pages are folded, some shit is underlined). ($15)
Criminal Law (Barely used) ($20)
Property (Barely Used) ($20)
Constitutional Law (Barely Used) ($20)
Civil Procedure (Barely Used) ($20)

Others:
Chemerinsky's Con Law Supp (Lightly used, corners of pages are folded, some shit is underlined) ($30)
Dressler on Crim Law (lightly used; because of a publishing error, a part of the self-defense section is missing). ($10)
Chirelstein on Contracts (lightly used) ($15)
The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure (lightly used) ($15)

Prices are negotiable, but within reason. Send me a PM if you want.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 am

you're selling your chimerinsky? What if you want to take another con law class someday?

User avatar
airlineraddict
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby airlineraddict » Thu May 21, 2009 11:18 am

Fuck Con Law.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 11:32 am

airlineraddict wrote:
spencer26 wrote:So, the accounting for lawyers course was difficult? For those of you who have said that in this thread, was it difficult because you had never taken accounting courses before, or what?

I think it was difficult partly because the 1Ls in the class had to balance it with their second semester doctrinal courses.

It's a hard course, according to the 1L I know who took it. It's straightforward, but hard, and not just because of the course load. He said the exam was harder than Torts (probably the "easiest" 1L class overall -- but still, that shows it's not a cakewalk, even for mathy-sciency types).

tcortez
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tcortez » Thu May 21, 2009 11:53 am

itzjulz wrote:
just a girl wrote:I just ordered my Civ Pro and Torts books+hornbooks, E&Es for Civ pro, and a supplement for torts. I don't know what to buy for the legal practice class; my prof says the books are optional. I'm going to wait until classes start to see how truly optional they are. The prices were quite reasonable on Amazon, if anyone is still looking to purchase their books. I think the casebooks were each discounted close to $30 from the list price.

Now this whole law school thing feels even more real!


I actually picked up a couple used E&E's on amazon this week for super cheap (<$15 each, including shipping). Not planning on cracking them til the fall, but I couldn't pass up the deal



I did too. I got a bunch of the recc E&Es just to get myself thru the week and have something to look forward to. I dont have the energy to touch them but they make me feel pretty intelligent to see them sitting in my room. :)

User avatar
airlineraddict
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby airlineraddict » Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 pm

You can try Ulrich's, which is on South University, but I forget the intersection. IT's next to espresso royale, so google maps it.

Also, the Michigan bookstore is located on the bottom floor of the Union, though I'm unsure if they also sell law books.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm

pluckyparakeet wrote:Does anyone know where the bookstore is in AA? I am so out of the loop.

Ulrich's is the credited source. The bookstore is at the corner of South University and East University, about a block down from the law quad.

http://ulrichs.com/

Street View
Last edited by snotrocket on Thu May 21, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tl
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tl » Thu May 21, 2009 12:43 pm

airlineraddict wrote:
spencer26 wrote:So, the accounting for lawyers course was difficult? For those of you who have said that in this thread, was it difficult because you had never taken accounting courses before, or what?


I think it was difficult partly because the 1Ls in the class had to balance it with their second semester doctrinal courses.


TITCR. It was difficult because I had three other first year courses, and it was hard to devote the amount of time necessary to do well. It's not a difficult class at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm

just a girl wrote:I just ordered my Civ Pro and Torts books+hornbooks, E&Es for Civ pro, and a supplement for torts. I don't know what to buy for the legal practice class; my prof says the books are optional. I'm going to wait until classes start to see how truly optional they are. The prices were quite reasonable on Amazon, if anyone is still looking to purchase their books. I think the casebooks were each discounted close to $30 from the list price.

Other than the Bluebook, I would say any book for legal practice is optional -- probably superfluous. I at least bothered to bring my casebooks to class, even when I didn't read. But the legal practice books never left my locker after the first week.
Last edited by snotrocket on Thu May 21, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 pm

hey snot have you started work yet?

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby 06072010 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:57 pm

airlineraddict wrote:You can try Ulrich's, which is on South University, but I forget the intersection. IT's next to espresso royale, so google maps it.

Also, the Michigan bookstore is located on the bottom floor of the Union, though I'm unsure if they also sell law books.


The Michigan bookstore also has law books, but never in the same supply as Ulrich's.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm

As long as we're unloading books on the noobs, here's what I have still kicking around:

Getting to Maybe
Delaney, Learning Legal Reasoning and How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams
Emanuel, First Year Q&A (short answer questions on all the 1L subjects but Con. Law)
LexisNexis, Civil Procedure Q&A (2d ed. 2007)
Wendel, Possessory Estates & Future Interests Primer (3d ed. 2007)
Glannon Guide to Property (2008)
Torts E&E (3d ed. 2005) (w/free copy of Concise Restatement of Torts)
Crim. Law E&E (4th ed. 2007)
Glannon Guide to Crim. Law (2005)
Siegel's Con. Law (2005)

I'm in AA this summer and will hand deliver these to any point within the law quad. I made good use of most of them, but they are unmarked and unmussed, other than maybe highlighting in the TOC in a few. I'll let them go for $15 each, or $120 to the first person that PMs me with a cash offer to take the whole lot.
Last edited by snotrocket on Thu May 21, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 pm

awesomepossum wrote:hey snot have you started work yet?

Not yet. I'm starting the 26th. Decided to take a few days off for the sake of marital bliss (I'm apparently "helping" to get the garden in this weekend).

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby awesomepossum » Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 pm

cool me too....minus the garden thing.

Maybe I should email my supervising attorney one of these days.

User avatar
airlineraddict
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby airlineraddict » Thu May 21, 2009 1:24 pm

You'll regret those words in December.

snotrocket
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 am

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 pm

airlineraddict wrote:You'll regret those words in December.

Nah. The winter makes the summers soooo much more enjoyable. I'm seriously in awe of the weather right now every time I go outside. And the snow was pretty fun actually. I was even a little sad when it ended.

User avatar
tralinds
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tralinds » Thu May 21, 2009 1:33 pm

pluckyparakeet wrote:
airlineraddict wrote:You'll regret those words in December.


Let mother nature bring it on. 8) I grew up in Northern Nevada, where it snows (although much less relative to here), then went to undergrad in California. After seeing half the states, I can honestly say that I have never seen so many goddamn trees and grass everywhere with such vibrant jade colors. I was really surprised, especially after only seen Michigan being mentioned in the media alongside pictures of dilapidated downtown Detroit on the news. And to be honest, Detroit is not as ghetto as I thought it'd be...it looks better than Oakland.


You should visit Seattle. Michigan looks brown compared to Seattle.

User avatar
tralinds
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby tralinds » Thu May 21, 2009 1:43 pm

pluckyparakeet wrote:
tralinds wrote:
pluckyparakeet wrote:
airlineraddict wrote:You'll regret those words in December.


Let mother nature bring it on. 8) I grew up in Northern Nevada, where it snows (although much less relative to here), then went to undergrad in California. After seeing half the states, I can honestly say that I have never seen so many goddamn trees and grass everywhere with such vibrant jade colors. I was really surprised, especially after only seen Michigan being mentioned in the media alongside pictures of dilapidated downtown Detroit on the news. And to be honest, Detroit is not as ghetto as I thought it'd be...it looks better than Oakland.


You should visit Seattle. Michigan looks brown compared to Seattle.


I have been, but only once. Seattle is by far my favorite city out of the ones I've visited(and possibly where I want to work) although I don't recall too much greenery in the city itself, just surrounding it. I just remember it's the cleanest and most well-organized urban environment I have seen. I should probably visit again to capture everything.


Yeah, definately visit again. I've lived here for 2 years now and it's green EVERYWHERE. Seriously, if there is dirt, something is growing in it. Winters suck though--the sun totally disappears from Novemeber--April.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest