Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Merriweather

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Merriweather » Mon May 18, 2009 5:22 am

airlineraddict wrote:Didn't Professor Cooper introduce himself as older than the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure?

you are asking because you never went to class.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 am

hdg315 wrote:Anyone planning on tackling Mich's suggested 0L summer reading list? Or at least using it as a guide?

Well, most of those just sound like "books that humans in general should read" and are recommended as things to read now while we still have time. I nonetheless might take a look.

I admit I don't quite understand the answer I've heard both there and from current students here, that there's really nothing to be done (e.g. because a prof might skip a particular text). Surely there are some books that everyone has to read while in law school, yeah? Like this "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" book.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am

Lawlcat wrote:
hdg315 wrote:Anyone planning on tackling Mich's suggested 0L summer reading list? Or at least using it as a guide?

Well, most of those just sound like "books that humans in general should read" and are recommended as things to read now while we still have time. I nonetheless might take a look.

I admit I don't quite understand the answer I've heard both there and from current students here, that there's really nothing to be done (e.g. because a prof might skip a particular text). Surely there are some books that everyone has to read while in law school, yeah? Like this "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" book.

Sure, but reading it now won't help you. You won't know now which Rules are important to your Civ Pro class (you def won't learn about all of them), and just reading the rules out of context (of cases, class discussion, etc.) means not much will stick with you.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Alexandria wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:

Sure, but reading it now won't help you. You won't know now which Rules are important to your Civ Pro class (you def won't learn about all of them), and just reading the rules out of context (of cases, class discussion, etc.) means not much will stick with you.

Where does one get this list? I haven't gotten ANY emails from Michigan since sending in my deposit... Should I be worried?

hdg315

Postby hdg315 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:14 pm

USC2009 wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:

Where does one get this list? I haven't gotten ANY emails from Michigan since sending in my deposit... Should I be worried?

It's linked to on the admitted student site. But it's just a suggested reading list, mostly non-law books, for fun reading over your 0L summer.

topsome

Postby topsome » Mon May 18, 2009 3:14 pm

USC2009 wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:

Did you get second deposit letter?

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm

topsome wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Where does one get this list? I haven't gotten ANY emails from Michigan since sending in my deposit... Should I be worried?

Nope.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:18 pm

I did get an email that said "Now that you have confirmed your admission to the University" after sending my deposit - it was the email/uniqname creation email.

Should I email admissions or something? Ask them what's up?

topsome

Postby topsome » Mon May 18, 2009 3:19 pm

USC2009 wrote:
topsome wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Where does one get this list? I haven't gotten ANY emails from Michigan since sending in my deposit... Should I be worried?

Nope.

Yes you should be worried! A letter comes in the mail a week after you send in your deposit thanking you for your deposit, talks about multiple deposits and then requests second deposits be sent out by June 15th. Did you get the e-mail that gives you access to UMich's e-mail? If you did, then I'm sure the second deposit letter got lost or something and you should be fine in that case. Call admissions for your second deposit letter.

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:21 pm

topsome wrote:Yes you should be worried! A letter comes in the mail a week after you send in your deposit thanking you for your deposit, talks about multiple deposits and then requests second deposits be sent out by June 15th. Did you get the e-mail that gives you access to UMich's e-mail? If you did, then I'm sure the second deposit letter got lost or something and you should be fine in that case. Call admissions for your second deposit letter.

Yeah I got the uniqname email and created one, so that's good. I'll email them.

nicoz

Postby nicoz » Mon May 18, 2009 3:22 pm

USC2009 wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:

Yes. You should be very worried. They are probably in the process of revoking your offer because your UG institution is stupid enough to get caught paying their players. (UM would never do that!) No one is going to like you in AA. We hate USC so much that you guys will actually get us to pull for OSU on 9/12. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. :twisted:

(But really no. Neither have I.)

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Haha, great. My parents forgot to mention the second letter. Suh-weet. Is there any other mail they've sent out?

Note: I had letters from law schools sent home because my apartment was sketch.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Mon May 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Memorial Day Potluck for Michigan summer starters (and 1, 2, and 3l linger-ers)

I've mentioned it before, but this is my official, "Let's get together and meet before orientation starts" invitation to a Memorial Day potluck at my apartment.
I don't know anyone there, and would love to meet some of you.

I think it could start around 6:00pm (or maybe a bit later) on Monday, May 25th. I'll provide fixings for margaritas or a different froofy drink and some light snacks. Bring food, drinks, yourselves, others who you know will be in the area, etc.

I'm not in the Michigan Law facebook group for this year (if there is one), so if anyone is, feel free to let them know.

I live a few minutes walk from the school. PM me for my address and actual name if you're interested in coming.

:-)

mightydinosaur

Postby mightydinosaur » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Oh man, the potluck sounds awesome!

Sadly, I am a fall starter and I still live in California, at least for two more weeks.

I'm jealous of folks who are in AA right now--it was so gorgeous when I was out there last week! Have fun and enjoy the spring, guys.

tl

Postby tl » Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 pm

mightydinosaur wrote:I'm jealous of folks who are in AA right now.

Really? :?

tcortez

Postby tcortez » Mon May 18, 2009 5:43 pm

tl wrote:

i am a bit too, lowkey. not the whole AA thing, but just the moving on part. i'm getting very restless in my life because i know cooler things are coming so i'm just anxious to get this show on the road.

nicoz

Postby nicoz » Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 pm

tcortez wrote:
tl wrote:

i am a bit too, lowkey. not the whole AA thing, but just the moving on part. i'm getting very restless in my life because i know cooler things are coming so i'm just anxious to get this show on the road.

+1
I'm excited to move back home too. Plus, its starting to get in the 120 degree months here in LV. Vegas in the high summer months is a lot like living in hell except it reeks of desperation even more so. But the pools are nice! :D

chłopak

Postby chłopak » Mon May 18, 2009 8:03 pm

nicoz wrote:
+1
I'm excited to move back home too. Plus, its starting to get in the 120 degree months here in LV. Vegas in the high summer months is a lot like living in hell except it reeks of desperation even more so. But the pools are nice! :D

That's awesome! I'm in the LV area, too. This 100+ degree weather is already wearing on me, especially since I just spent the last few years in Cleveland.

I am really looking forward to arriving in Ann Arbor. :)

mightydinosaur

Postby mightydinosaur » Mon May 18, 2009 8:33 pm

tl wrote:

Haha, yes, really! Granted, there's fun stuff going on in San Francisco, so I'm not sad to be here, but I'm really excited to start meeting new people at school, and AA was so pretty when I was there with all the flowering trees.

Also, if I was already there, I wouldn't have to pack all my stupid crap in boxes and get it on a truck less than two weeks from now. I hate moving so much.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon May 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Fun stuff in SF? Like Bay to Breakers? I'm still reeling from that hang-over, and I anticipate it may actually be tomorrow before I'm finally feeling better. Hottdamn was it ever fun though.

amonicker

Postby amonicker » Mon May 18, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm moving up to Ann Arbor tomorrow. Any other Summer Starters up there yet?

tl

Postby tl » Tue May 19, 2009 12:03 am

1Ls, check your grades. 3 of 4 of mine are up already. I figured that Contracts would be the last.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue May 19, 2009 12:09 am

I got nothing.

:-(

tl

Postby tl » Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 am

awesomepossum wrote:I got nothing.

:-(

:?

That sucks. Well 2 of them were mainly multiple choice (we know you didn't read the essays, Mark West), and the other was my nerdy Civ Pro professor that probably enjoys grading exams.

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:46 am

tl wrote:1Ls, check your grades. 3 of 4 of mine are up already. I figured that Contracts would be the last.

Thanks for the heads up. On the other hand, it's kinda worse to have some than none; the last class or two is agonizing.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”