Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Maecenas

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby Maecenas » Wed May 13, 2009 5:52 pm

just a girl wrote:I'm not planning on bringing any of those things, as I don't think the rooms are big enough to hold an extra mattress (plus a bigger bed frame, etc) or a couch.

I would say it's better not to risk it; I was an RA for 3 years and we definitely fined people who brought in items that were expressly prohibited.

I'm not trying to be a rebel or anything. I just know that in undergrad I had basically the same size dorm room (and it was a double) and there was plenty of room for my loveseat and couches/loveseats weren't against the rules, so I wanted to see what the norm was for the LC. Thanks for the responses.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
just a girl wrote:Ugh. I always use a little plastic crate so my stuff drains.
Does it make me weird that I don't really mind it? 4 years of dorm living will jade you...

I only had one year of dorm living, but I'm actually really excited to be living in the dorm style again for a year, even if that means communal bathrooms. Maybe it's the social part of me that likes living with a lot of other people, but I'm perfectly okay with it.

Personally, I think the main thing that kept me from living in the LC was the cost. I couldn't justify roughly $1,300 a month to live in a shoebox, share a bathroom, and not get to choose what I'm eating. I think if it was cheaper, I probably would have had no problem signing on

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 pm

tingles wrote:What's the typical rent for places near the law quad? I've been looking for studios/1bdrms and seem to be seeing them priced between 600-900. Does that sound right? Also, anyone have input on which streets are ones to avoid - aka party streets/lots of undergrads/not safe?

Thanks!

-That rent sounds normal for the area.
-There aren't any areas that are especially unsafe, but the further you get from campus, the less well-lit the streets are.
-Hill Street can get loud.
-I wouldn't want to live in the neighborhood just southeast of the law quad (just south of Hill and east of State). The houses/apartments are generally pretty crappy and it can get very loud (parties). The marching band also practices over there on a daily basis during the fall.
-North of Huron St. (Catherine, Ingalls, etc) tends to be quieter (more grad students). But, you'll have a 12-15 minute walk to the law quad.
-If you are looking to live near campus, there will be undergrads everywhere.

nicoz

Postby nicoz » Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 pm

itzjulz wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
just a girl wrote:Ugh. I always use a little plastic crate so my stuff drains.
Does it make me weird that I don't really mind it? 4 years of dorm living will jade you...

I only had one year of dorm living, but I'm actually really excited to be living in the dorm style again for a year, even if that means communal bathrooms. Maybe it's the social part of me that likes living with a lot of other people, but I'm perfectly okay with it.

Personally, I think the main thing that kept me from living in the LC was the cost. I couldn't justify roughly $1,300 a month to live in a shoebox, share a bathroom, and not get to choose what I'm eating. I think if it was cheaper, I probably would have had no problem signing on

+1
I'm older and have lived on my own for some time so I never really considered the LC but DAMN!!!! $1,300 ? Really? Am I missing something about the LC that makes it worth that? Aside from the sweet cafeteria food.

tl

Postby tl » Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Maecenas wrote:
just a girl wrote:You can call the LC and ask, I'm sure. They were super helpful in describing my room and its location to me over the phone.

Okay, thanks, i'll probably do that. I'm just curious to know if I got lucky and will be facing in at the beauty of the Quad.

Also, on the lease it says you can't bring your own couches or mattresses because they are potential fire hazards. I'm assuming people have brought couches/loveseats and their own beds before and it hasn't been a problem, right?

Eh, you can bring other things in, but the problem is that you CAN'T move anything out. When that's the case, your options and space becomes very limited.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 pm

I don't think 1300 is that bad for room and board, especially because you don't have to worry about any bills or finding subletters for the summer, etc. I also think it will save a lot of time, not having to clean a lot of rooms or prepare meals every day. I mean, 1300 for a studio isn't bad anyway.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm

just a girl wrote:I don't think 1300 is that bad for room and board, especially because you don't have to worry about any bills or finding subletters for the summer, etc. I also think it will save a lot of time, not having to clean a lot of rooms or prepare meals every day. I mean, 1300 for a studio isn't bad anyway.

Not by NYC or big city standards, but for comparison's sake - the mortgage on my parents' house in Michigan is less than $1300.

granitemuse

Postby granitemuse » Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 pm

any idea who teaches the 1L sections in Property?

Krier, Miller? who else?

tl

Postby tl » Wed May 13, 2009 11:04 pm

just a girl wrote:I don't think 1300 is that bad for room and board, especially because you don't have to worry about any bills or finding subletters for the summer, etc. I also think it will save a lot of time, not having to clean a lot of rooms or prepare meals every day. I mean, 1300 for a studio isn't bad anyway.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's mad expensive. Most people are paying half that (not including food and utilities though). I still would live in the LC the first year despite the price. It just makes everything so simple. Second year is another story though.

tl

Postby tl » Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 pm

granitemuse wrote:any idea who teaches the 1L sections in Property?

Krier, Miller? who else?

And this guy this year: http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_FacultyB ... .asp?ID=41

granitemuse

Postby granitemuse » Wed May 13, 2009 11:09 pm

tl wrote:
granitemuse wrote:any idea who teaches the 1L sections in Property?

Krier, Miller? who else?

And this guy this year: http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_FacultyB ... .asp?ID=41

ah, okay. I'm just really terrified of Property, out of all the big six. I have a feeling it's going to be my worst one. I clicked through some of the exam threads here on this space; and I couldn't make head or tails out of any of it. I don't want to be a gunner, but E&Es here I come.

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 pm

I guess I'm just used to NYC prices, which is why 1300 all inclusive a month seens good. I pay probably 150 a week for food alone, and with rent, food, transport, etc it'd probably add up to a lot more than 1300/month. I'll probably live off campus second year, once I'm more acclimated to ann arbor.

ETA:
I wouldn't worry about anything yet, as far as property or other topics. I'm going to wait until classes start and let myself get familiar in the first two weeks before getting nervous about classes preemptively. It all looks foreign to me right now anyway.
Last edited by just a girl on Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElmGrant

Postby ElmGrant » Wed May 13, 2009 11:14 pm

itzjulz wrote:

Not by NYC or big city standards, but for comparison's sake - the mortgage on my parents' house in Michigan is less than $1300.

Yea, $1300 for a studio would be insane. I currently pay $750 for a 1000 sq. ft 1 bedroom and it's extremely nice. I'm not looking forward to giving it up.

Ulfrekr

Postby Ulfrekr » Wed May 13, 2009 11:15 pm

thefinalcut wrote:Perhaps a stupid question, but are visitors allowed to stay overnight in LC? Does this change between Single vs. Double?

As long as you hide them under the bed when the RA checks your room at light's out, you should be fine.

tingles

Postby tingles » Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 pm

tralinds wrote:
tingles wrote:What's the typical rent for places near the law quad? I've been looking for studios/1bdrms and seem to be seeing them priced between 600-900. Does that sound right? Also, anyone have input on which streets are ones to avoid - aka party streets/lots of undergrads/not safe?

Thanks!

-There aren't any areas that are especially unsafe, but the further you get from campus, the less well-lit the streets are.
-I wouldn't want to live in the neighborhood just southeast of the law quad (just south of Hill and east of State). The houses/apartments are generally pretty crappy and it can get very loud (parties). The marching band also practices over there on a daily basis during the fall.
-North of Huron St. (Catherine, Ingalls, etc) tends to be quieter (more grad students). But, you'll have a 12-15 minute walk to the law quad.

Wow - this neighborhood info is good to know! How about the area between state and main, but south of huron?

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 pm

honestly for me, it was a combination of things that probably don't matter to other people that led me to decide not to move into the LC. shower shoes and bath caddies? effing gross. perhaps i was jaded by the nasty girls that lived on my floor freshman year, but in my building the community bathrooms/showers were absolutely gross. ugh. shuddering just thinking about it. old, visibly used, ugly furniture...this was a biggie for me. i guess i've been spoiled for the past five years, getting to live in great places that were nice to look at, but i like my place to be...pretty! lol. it needs to feel like someplace i love being in. and i loathe ugly furniture. again not an issue for normal ppl, but for me, a big deal. :P

i do feel like i'll miss out on the social side of things a little bit but honestly, my place is 2 blocks away, i'm waaaaay too social usually anyway and don't quite need help in that area, and my apt is super cheap and cute. i think my choice was perfect for me. hmm. not quite so jealous anymore. :)

p.s. twin beds! i forgot twin beds! no effing way.

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Ulfrekr wrote:
thefinalcut wrote:Perhaps a stupid question, but are visitors allowed to stay overnight in LC? Does this change between Single vs. Double?

As long as you hide them under the bed when the RA checks your room at light's out, you should be fine.

:shock:
you kid right?

Postby 06072010 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 pm

For $1550, I rent a large 3/2 house with hardwood floors, granite countertop kitchen, a fully redone basement with a built in bar and brand spanking new appliances. Sadly, it comes with a backyard I have to mow. I hate you backyard!

I'd say all my with food and utilities it runs my wife and I ~2000 a month. Split that among three people and you have yourself a way better deal.

You're paying for the convenience of being able to stumble to your classes in less than 8 seconds.

Postby 06072010 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:31 pm

shuddering just thinking about it.

I know. I'm living in a NYU dorm over the summer and I'm freaking. Not looking forward to that shit.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 pm

vidhartha wrote:
Ulfrekr wrote:

you kid right?

I asked this question at the housing session during preview weekend. Guests are allowed, but according to 'ol Diane, "anything more than 3 days, and they're considered moved in"

snotrocket

Postby snotrocket » Thu May 14, 2009 7:37 am

PKSebben wrote:

For $1550, I rent a large 3/2 house with hardwood floors, granite countertop kitchen, a fully redone basement with a built in bar and brand spanking new appliances. Sadly, it comes with a backyard I have to mow. I hate you backyard!

I'd say all my with food and utilities it runs my wife and I ~2000 a month. Split that among three people and you have yourself a way better deal.

You're paying for the convenience of being able to stumble to your classes in less than 8 seconds.

TITCR. I'm paying $1,300 for a three bedroom house with a backyard the size of an arena football field(*) less than two miles from the school. The LC is what it is, but in the AA housing market, $1,300 for a pre-furnished closet is "that bad."

(*) Lawn service included

melda

Postby melda » Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 am

Last edited by melda on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Thu May 14, 2009 11:07 am

melda wrote:hello! i've moved to AA and i'm busy getting myself situated before my classes start. i was hoping someone could give me some advice about laptops/netbooks. i have an imac, so i would rather get a pc, so i won't have any compatibility issues. netbooks are very cheap, but they don't have cd drives. is there any reason i would need a cd drive?

thanks, and i look forward to seeing you all soon! :D

There are no compatibility issues with Macs. The Electronic BlueBook worked perfectly with my Mac during exams, and you can use whatever note-taking software you want.

There's no law school related reason for needing an optical drive, so if you must spend less than 500$ on a computer, choose the netbook of your dreams.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Thu May 14, 2009 12:48 pm

tingles wrote:
tralinds wrote:

Thanks!

Wow - this neighborhood info is good to know! How about the area between state and main, but south of huron?

Hmm, that area is okay. There are a lot of businesses/restaurants over there, so its busy, but probably not ridiculously loud. Housing isn't as plentiful there because of those businesses, but there are definitely some places to live. Be aware that the downtown bus station is at 4th and Liberty. There tends to be some...characters....hanging out down there.

Also, FYI: the marching band practices in the park at Division and Hill.

Honestly, anywhere on campus will have some noise, especially on football Saturdays. You'll need to figure out what *kinds* of noise you can deal with (traffic v. parties v. marching band, etc). Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

thefinalcut

Postby thefinalcut » Thu May 14, 2009 1:17 pm

itzjulz wrote:
vidhartha wrote:
Ulfrekr wrote:

you kid right?

I asked this question at the housing session during preview weekend. Guests are allowed, but according to 'ol Diane, "anything more than 3 days, and they're considered moved in"

Thanks for the info.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”