Michigan 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
USC2009

Re: Michigan 2012

Postby USC2009 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:57 pm

summertimechi wrote:
tl wrote:ETA: Maybe the LC isn't for you.

sigh.

unfortunately that's what i think, too. but i just really don't want to live somewhere where it takes more than ...hmm...7-10 mins of walking in the cold and snow to get to class. nor do I want to have to wait in aforementioned cold and snow for 20 mins to catch a bus. but it seems like finding a place on my own means having to put up with one or both of those things. but then the LC, while conveniently located, means an ugly, cramped living space and sharing bathrooms with other people. ugh, sometimes i really wonder if i made the right choice. :(

There is housing available within a 7 minute walk to campus. A friend of mine got a place like that while we were at the preview weekend - you just have to know where to look.

tl

Postby tl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:20 pm

summertimechi wrote:

sigh.

unfortunately that's what i think, too. but i just really don't want to live somewhere where it takes more than ...hmm...7-10 mins of walking in the cold and snow to get to class. nor do I want to have to wait in aforementioned cold and snow for 20 mins to catch a bus. but it seems like finding a place on my own means having to put up with one or both of those things. but then the LC, while conveniently located, means an ugly, cramped living space and sharing bathrooms with other people. ugh, sometimes i really wonder if i made the right choice. :(

There is housing within a 7-10 minute walk. Definitely. I don't know how much of it is left, but there should be some left. Look into University Towers. It's a high rise that's about a quick 7-minute walk away from campus. It's not super expensive (not cheap either).

There are some apartments still available on craigslist:
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/search/a ... &bedrooms=

Michigan Off-Campus Housing Listings:
http://www.offcampus.housing.umich.edu/ ... stings.cfm

There's another link for management companies (when I find it I'll post it).

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Soccer question for the people in AA already:

I only play soccer twice a month when I'm in school, but over the summer, it's normally 1-2 times a week minimum. Are there any options to play during the winters in Michigan? I'm not sure if they might have like an indoor turf field or something... I'm hesitant to play indoor soccer (on a court) because its much easier to hurt yourself like that (more than in basketball). I could see myself living without soccer, since normally I just do cardio on machines and weights... but I needed to ask.
Last edited by USC2009 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 pm

there is an indoor soccer arena in Wixom, MI called "total soccer-wixom." It's around 35 mins away. I wouldn't be surprised if they have adult leagues.

I play winter league ultimate there. It's pretty nice.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 pm

and you can check this place out. I know nothing about it though.

http://www.wideworld-sports.com/

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Do you know if there are any places to just rent the field for a certain amount of time? I don't know if I could manage playing on team during 1L, but some pick up soccer might be nice from time to time.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:13 pm

tl wrote:
summertimechi wrote:

sigh.

There is housing within a 7-10 minute walk. Definitely. I don't know how much of it is left, but there should be some left. Look into University Towers. It's a high rise that's about a quick 7-minute walk away from campus. It's not super expensive (not cheap either).

There are some apartments still available on craigslist:
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/search/a ... &bedrooms=

Michigan Off-Campus Housing Listings:
http://www.offcampus.housing.umich.edu/ ... stings.cfm

There's another link for management companies (when I find it I'll post it).

thx. ppl like you help me through my ridiculous mini-freakouts :P

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 pm

USC2009 wrote:Thanks :D

Do you know if there are any places to just rent the field for a certain amount of time? I don't know if I could manage playing on team during 1L, but some pick up soccer might be nice from time to time.

during the year, there are several leagues and pickup soccer things. I know less about in the winter though. I know at least one of the leagues is actually run through the city. I'm sure there are plenty of resources online about them.

I think the leagues come in two varieties. One is club, where people have some serious responsibility to a team. The other are looser leagues where rosters are just assembled every season and are of every skill level. Usually for those leagues, you can tell them you won't be able to play that much and you just go when you can.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:23 pm

You can definitely manage to play intramural soccer as a 1L... lots of people play intramural sports, and some people play multiple. Actually, the law school has had a lot of success this year! Lots of IM championship teams. :) I was on one!

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Alexandria wrote:You can definitely manage to play intramural soccer as a 1L... lots of people play intramural sports, and some people play multiple. Actually, the law school has had a lot of success this year! Lots of IM championship teams. :) I was on one!

That's good to know! It seems like a fun way to meet people too. Only problem for me is that I'm kind of used to smaller fields/goals, which works well since my asthma kicks my ass when playing :P

awesomepossum wrote:
USC2009 wrote:Thanks :D

during the year, there are several leagues and pickup soccer things. I know less about in the winter though. I know at least one of the leagues is actually run through the city. I'm sure there are plenty of resources online about them.

I think the leagues come in two varieties. One is club, where people have some serious responsibility to a team. The other are looser leagues where rosters are just assembled every season and are of every skill level. Usually for those leagues, you can tell them you won't be able to play that much and you just go when you can.

Cool, that works for me. I emailed the AASA (Ann Arbor Soccer Association, or something) so maybe they'll have more information...

tetrisd

Postby tetrisd » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 am

I personally can't imagine what life would be like if I had done a sport this year. 1L is tough. Get out now while you can!

j/k

...sort of

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 am

Last edited by Alexandria on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

e_ticket

Postby e_ticket » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:10 am

awesomepossum wrote:there is an indoor soccer arena in Wixom, MI called "total soccer-wixom." It's around 35 mins away. I wouldn't be surprised if they have adult leagues.

I play winter league ultimate there. It's pretty nice.

How easy is it to get involved with ultimate at Mich? That's my go-to! :mrgreen:

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:56 am

very very easy.

I played on and off with a club team (who were very understanding since I'm in law school) and I also played fall, winter and spring league (now). Obviously when exams roll around my participation plummets but it's good to have some regular sports activity IMO.

There's also a ton of pickup ultimate.

This website has everything you need to know about ultimate in AA.

http://www.a2ultimate.org

just a girl

Postby just a girl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:23 am

Does anyone else run regularly? I'm not very fast, but I find it to be a good stress reliever (ie. essential for law school!) and was wondering if any other incoming 1Ls would like to meet and run together once we start classes.

Also, Summertimechi, there's definitely lots of housing really close to the law school, at least in my experience from apartment-hunting for the summer. It seems to be a bit more expensive, but if you know you want to be really close and don't want to live on-campus, it may be worth the cost premium. Good luck!

MLaw11

Postby MLaw11 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:54 am

If you don't find someone on TLS you will once you get here. There are plenty of law students who go running together in AA...during both months in which it's feasible to do so. ;)

tcortez

Postby tcortez » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:02 pm

just a girl wrote:Does anyone else run regularly? I'm not very fast, but I find it to be a good stress reliever (ie. essential for law school!) and was wondering if any other incoming 1Ls would like to meet and run together once we start classes.

I am not a huge runner at all but I have been wanting to do this for some time. I think I just need accountability. So I may be down to go with you.

maddy

Postby maddy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 pm

i sent my deposit in today!!!!! soooo excited for august!

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 pm

there are sharks at the U of M law library today.

Last edited by awesomepossum on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waitingforanswers

Postby waitingforanswers » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Is there intramural softball?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:36 pm

awesomepossum wrote:there are sharks at the U of M library today.

Makes me excited for Shark Week. Why can't late July be here already?

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Makes me excited for Shark Week. Why can't late July be here already?

"Live every week like it's shark week"

-Tracy Jordan

tingles

Postby tingles » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:45 am

Just created my uniqname. It sucks! All of my name combos were taken because I have such a short common last name. There was no way to do firstnamelastname, firstinitialmiddleinitiallastname, or any other variation. Ended up doing lastnamemiddleinitialfirstintial. i doubt anyone will understand what it is... 8 lower case letters is very limiting! ok, done with my rant.

anyways, excited to see everyone in the fall! :)

maddy

Postby maddy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:51 am

how long did it take people to get their uniquename after sending in the deposit?

tingles

Postby tingles » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:05 pm

maddy wrote:how long did it take people to get their uniquename after sending in the deposit?

I sent my deposit in last monday morning, and received the email to create a uniqname last Friday.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”