Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jxk

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by jxk » Thu May 21, 2009 1:50 pm

has anyone seen those "pure michigan" commercials on tv? the first time i saw one, i thought, how gorgeous, i want to go there. imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a commercial for michigan! after i saw that, i got even more excited about going to mich this fall :)

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 pm

pluckyparakeet wrote:
airlineraddict wrote:You'll regret those words in December.
Let mother nature bring it on. 8) I grew up in Northern Nevada, where it snows (although much less relative to here), then went to undergrad in California. After seeing half the states, I can honestly say that I have never seen so many goddamn trees and grass everywhere with such vibrant jade colors. I was really surprised, especially after only seen Michigan being mentioned in the media alongside pictures of dilapidated downtown Detroit on the news. And to be honest, Detroit is not as ghetto as I thought it'd be...it looks better than Oakland.
QFP (I will call you up on this in March).

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 pm

All this talk of how pretty Michigan is REALLY makes me want to go camping in Oscoda or somewhere in the Traverse Bay area. *sigh*

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Thu May 21, 2009 2:42 pm

For all the summer starters the first day reading assignments have been posted on Registrars site if you want to take a look.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu May 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Casebooks. Condition as noted. Some are rough. All are cheap.

FYI: There is some sort of goofy book market feature built into CTools now. Not sure how much people use it, but it's there. Apparently that's also the school's way of communicating what books are needed for each course. Ulrich's also has book lists on their website, but weirdly they seem to only have them in for Fall and not Summer yet for law courses, unless I'm missing something.

Cases and Materials on Torts
Richard A. Epstein, 9th ed. 2008, 9780735569232
Solid condition, fair amount of writing.
$40.00

Criminal Law and Its Processes: Cases and Materials
Sanford H. Kadish, Stephen J. Schulhofer, Carol S. Steiker, 8th ed. 2007, 9780735557949
Solid condition, fair amount of highlighting.
$40.00

Property
Jesse Dukeminier, et al., 6th ed. 2006, 9780735557925
Great shape, no writing.
$40.00

Constitutional Law
Geoffrey R. Stone, et al., 5th ed. 2005, 9780735550148
Beat up, scribbled in, but still has all its pages. Includes free 2008 supplement.
$30.00

Legal Writing
Richard K. Neumann, Jr., Sheila J. Simon, 2008, 9780735564244
Like new.
$25.00

Just Research
Laurel Currie Oates, Anne Enquist, 2005, 9780735552951
Like new, w/CD.
$25.00

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malcolminthemiddle

New

Post by malcolminthemiddle » Thu May 21, 2009 3:53 pm

we should start a seperate thread for people moving in early.

Also, if it helps anyone, I am not living in the LC.

My 1 bdr apt is about a block from the law school, 2 mins walk. After utilities and parking, my bill comes to $800 a month. I expect to lose about a month and a half of rent over the summer, which brings my effective rate to $933, still cheaper than the LC. Not sure what my food budget will look like though I expect there will be a food budget even if I had stayed at the LC.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Thu May 21, 2009 4:16 pm

malcolminthemiddle wrote:we should start a seperate thread for people moving in early.

My 1 bdr apt is about a block from the law school, 2 mins walk. After utilities and parking, my bill comes to $800 a month. I expect to lose about a month and a half of rent over the summer, which brings my effective rate to $933, still cheaper than the LC. Not sure what my food budget will look like though I expect there will be a food budget even if I had stayed at the LC.
I plan on flying out aug 15th to give myself a few days before MAP to get settled.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu May 21, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm moving in August 15th as well =)

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu May 21, 2009 4:21 pm

I'll be there in mid-August, not sure of exact move-in date yet. Living about 1/2 mile south, off of State St.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Thu May 21, 2009 4:28 pm

malcolminthemiddle wrote:we should start a seperate thread for people moving in early.

I'm moving to AA at the beginning of July!

I'm living in Woodbury, though I'm not moving in there until August. It's not as close as I would have liked, but the space and the amenities suit me well.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu May 21, 2009 4:49 pm

mightydinosaur wrote:
I'm living in Woodbury, though I'm not moving in there until August. It's not as close as I would have liked, but the space and the amenities suit me well.
+1. There are going to be a lot of us at Woodbury! I vote for a pool party the weekend before orientation starts =)

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Thu May 21, 2009 4:50 pm

The pool at Woodbury is nice.

I look forward to meeting you all at MAP.

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Thu May 21, 2009 4:58 pm

tralinds wrote:
pluckyparakeet wrote:
tralinds wrote:
pluckyparakeet wrote: Let mother nature bring it on. 8) I grew up in Northern Nevada, where it snows (although much less relative to here), then went to undergrad in California. After seeing half the states, I can honestly say that I have never seen so many goddamn trees and grass everywhere with such vibrant jade colors. I was really surprised, especially after only seen Michigan being mentioned in the media alongside pictures of dilapidated downtown Detroit on the news. And to be honest, Detroit is not as ghetto as I thought it'd be...it looks better than Oakland.
You should visit Seattle. Michigan looks brown compared to Seattle.
I have been, but only once. Seattle is by far my favorite city out of the ones I've visited(and possibly where I want to work) although I don't recall too much greenery in the city itself, just surrounding it. I just remember it's the cleanest and most well-organized urban environment I have seen. I should probably visit again to capture everything.
Yeah, definately visit again. I've lived here for 2 years now and it's green EVERYWHERE. Seriously, if there is dirt, something is growing in it. Winters suck though--the sun totally disappears from Novemeber--April.
I will sorely miss Seattle when I move to Michigan this fall. After living in the city for more than 5 years, I can't think of a better city to live in. I really hope I can find a job in Seattle when I graduate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu May 21, 2009 5:02 pm

itzjulz wrote:
mightydinosaur wrote:
+1. There are going to be a lot of us at Woodbury! I vote for a pool party the weekend before orientation starts =)
I'm in the LC, but I'm going to go ahead and be presumptuous and pretend like this is an open invitation. See ya there!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
mightydinosaur wrote:
I'm in the LC, but I'm going to go ahead and be presumptuous and pretend like this is an open invitation. See ya there!
I certainly expect to see you there, with a drink in each hand :wink:

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu May 21, 2009 5:13 pm

thefinalcut wrote:
I will sorely miss Seattle when I move to Michigan this fall. After living in the city for more than 5 years, I can't think of a better city to live in. I really hope I can find a job in Seattle when I graduate.
Haha. I feel exactly opposite. Two years here was enough for me. I can understand why people love it though. It's just not the right fit for me. I prefer somewhere with more sun and that can appropriately deal with adverse weather (god, the December snow fiasco drove me absolutely insane).

When are you moving, and are you driving to MI? That's what I'm doing. Ugh, it's going to be a huge pain. SO and I are trying to figure out how much stuff we can fit in the car to avoid also having rent/drive a UHaul...

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu May 21, 2009 5:23 pm

itzjulz wrote: I certainly expect to see you there, with a drink in each hand :wink:
I would never do anything of the sort!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Thu May 21, 2009 5:28 pm

itzjulz wrote:
mightydinosaur wrote:
+1
I will be there too! Woodbury pool party!!!

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
itzjulz wrote: I certainly expect to see you there, with a drink in each hand :wink:
Well, you can still come to the pool party as long as you bring me a drink. :D

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:37 pm

tralinds wrote:
thefinalcut wrote:
(god, the December snow fiasco drove me absolutely insane).
+1 -- the snow and sickening bitter cold right around Christmas broke me.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Of course not!

btw, I talked to your other drinking buddy a few days ago and it looks like he finally decided and will definitely be with us at Michigan in the fall! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm

tralinds wrote:
thefinalcut wrote:
Haha. I feel exactly opposite. Two years here was enough for me. I can understand why people love it though. It's just not the right fit for me. I prefer somewhere with more sun and that can appropriately deal with adverse weather (god, the December snow fiasco drove me absolutely insane).

When are you moving, and are you driving to MI? That's what I'm doing. Ugh, it's going to be a huge pain. SO and I are trying to figure out how much stuff we can fit in the car to avoid also having rent/drive a UHaul...
Hehe...I missed the whole Dec. fiasco, while I was on my vacation. For me it's the mountains. I plan to get enough climbing done this summer to last me for the next 3 years. Yeah, I am driving to MI as well. Whatever fits in my car is going with me and the rest to Freecycle.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu May 21, 2009 5:58 pm

PKSebben wrote:
tralinds wrote:
thefinalcut wrote:
(god, the December snow fiasco drove me absolutely insane).
+1 -- the snow and sickening bitter cold right around Christmas broke me.
The Seattle snow? I couldn't have cared less about the snow/cold--it was the lack of snow cleanup and having to put chains on my tires to drive IN THE CITY that drove me crazy. :)

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 pm

mightydinosaur wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Well, you can still come to the pool party as long as you bring me a drink. :D

LOL. you invaders. :-P

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Thu May 21, 2009 6:59 pm

tralinds wrote: The Seattle snow? I couldn't have cared less about the snow/cold--it was the lack of snow cleanup and having to put chains on my tires to drive IN THE CITY that drove me crazy. :)
Ah, this will prepare you well for Michigan!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”