Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Anhimal

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Anhimal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anhimal wrote:Anhimal
Annabears
Chlopak
Cramble
Dresdendoll
E_ticket
Elmgrant
Fei
Flightoftheearls
Hdg315
ItzJulz
Jeff Magnum
Jxk
Kmo33
Lsatbunny
Magjags07
Mightydinosaur
Nicoz
Oliviachicago
Rightthat
Summertimechi
USC2009
Spencer26
Swilson
Tacosfordinner
Tcortez
Thefinalcut
Twinkletoes
Vail67
Vidhartha
WIdan
Zuckerkorn
That's quite the impressive list. How's that group on the book going Julz?
Last edited by Anhimal on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

awesomepossum wrote:there is a tiny tiny chance that I'll work MAP, but it's much more likely that I'm just doing orientation.
Did you get any e-mails other than the one that had last year's schedule attached? I feel like they are being REALLY secretive about who can be MAP leaders this year.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Jeff Mangum wrote:I don't get how the MAP is supposed to work for summer starters if there are no rising 2L and 3L students around. Don't they sort of run the show? Also, it seems like it would be less fun if it is happening after classes begin.
Yeah, there are some people still around, working at a clinic or working for professors.

And honestly, I think it is less fun for summer starters. The pre-orientation thing for fall starters is the most fun part.

WIdan

New

Post by WIdan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:52 pm

PKSebben wrote:
WIdan wrote:You can add me to the 2012 list as well. I mailed my deposit last week.

Currently living in Madison, WI (originally from PA), five years out, The West Wing/The Wire/Lost
Badger? IF so, declare your allegiance now. Red and white or blue and maize?
Not a Badger, just lived and worked here for the past five years. I'm actually a Pitt Panther. And growing up in eastern PA, I'm a Penn St fan. But I do look forward to rooting for the blue and maize at the Big House, except when they play Penn St.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm

WIdan wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
WIdan wrote:You can add me to the 2012 list as well. I mailed my deposit last week.

Currently living in Madison, WI (originally from PA), five years out, The West Wing/The Wire/Lost
Not a Badger, just lived and worked here for the past five years. I'm actually a Pitt Panther. And growing up in eastern PA, I'm a Penn St fan. But I do look forward to rooting for the blue and maize at the Big House, except when they play Penn St.
Wrong answer! j/k. I'd root for my gators over Mich any day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chłopak

New

Post by chłopak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Quick question from a new poster on TLS: are there many law students that end up living in Northwood?
Last edited by chłopak on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:25 pm

No, not many, but I do have a friend who lives there. I don't know anybody else who lives there, though I'm sure he's not the only one.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 pm

tl, I sent you a PM

chłopak

New

Post by chłopak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks, Alexandria.

Are the majority of the Northwood residents students or non-students?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:52 pm

WIdan wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

I don't think I can root for my UG when they play UM because if they were to actually win it would be a very bad sign for the football program. I'm already worried with this Greg Paulus talk.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:08 pm

chłopak wrote:Thanks, Alexandria.

You know, I'm not sure. I thought it was specifically student housing... for married students or students with families or graduate students.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Can I pop into this thread? I'm reapplying in the fall and I am considering UMich ED.

Just wondering if any of you all are doing the summer start? If so, why/what do you feel are its strongest benefits?

I just browsed UM's website and read some blogs of 2Ls and 3Ls who did the summer start and commented on the experience but I was just wondering if a live person could give some better insight into it. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter this thread. Thanks.

chłopak

New

Post by chłopak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Alexandria wrote:
chłopak wrote:Thanks, Alexandria.

You know, I'm not sure. I thought it was specifically student housing... for married students or students with families or graduate students.
Great stuff, thanks. I'll give them a call once they receive my deposit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Alexandria wrote:You know, I'm not sure. I thought it was specifically student housing... for married students or students with families or graduate students.
Northwood is University operated student housing -- mostly married and grad students. I looked at it briefly when we were moving, but decided for the price we could do way better. If you come to town for a few days and go on a quick, well focused search, you can find pretty much anything you need to fit your budget and space requirements. The units seem ok for what they are, and it might be worth checking out Northwood, but I suspect you can do as well or better off-campus with no problem, and the location is far from the best in town. I have no idea if any other law students live up there -- none that I know, anyway. Everyone seems to either take the LC or just find a house / apartment on their own.

Jeff Mangum

New

Post by Jeff Mangum » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:27 pm

snotrocket wrote:
Alexandria wrote:You know, I'm not sure. I thought it was specifically student housing... for married students or students with families or graduate students.
Northwood is University operated student housing -- mostly married and grad students. I looked at it briefly when we were moving, but decided for the price we could do way better. If you come to town for a few days and go on a quick, well focused search, you can find pretty much anything you need to fit your budget and space requirements. The units seem ok for what they are, and it might be worth checking out Northwood, but I suspect you can do as well or better off-campus with no problem, and the location is far from the best in town. I have no idea if any other law students live up there -- none that I know, anyway. Everyone seems to either take the LC or just find a house / apartment on their own.
True, that. I think mentioned this several pages earlier, but it bears repeating. I thought I was going to find a super-cheap, cute apt. in ann arbor, easy. Then I did that quick, well-focused search, and it was well worth the effort (and I drove over 1200 miles in one weekend to do this). A lot of these places that look great in Craig's list are just so incredibly depressing in real life. And remote. When I saw these, I felt like I dodged a bullet. Do not sign a lease, sight unseen. Places that seem close to everything on google maps feel like they're in the middle of nowhere when you get there. Picture this in the dead of winter.

maddy

New

Post by maddy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:38 am

sorry if this has been addressed already, but is june too late to begin looking for an apartment? i can either come up to ann arbor sometime in may and look or wait until after graduation in mid-to-late june. would all the good apartments be gone by then?

also, does the deposit have to be paid by check? do they accept credit card or something? i'm home for a while and don't have the deposit form, but wanted to get it out of the way.

i'm very excited to be joining you guys in august! i registered for map yesterday.

Vail67

New

Post by Vail67 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 am

maddy wrote:sorry if this has been addressed already, but is june too late to begin looking for an apartment? i can either come up to ann arbor sometime in may and look or wait until after graduation in mid-to-late june. would all the good apartments be gone by then?

also, does the deposit have to be paid by check? do they accept credit card or something? i'm home for a while and don't have the deposit form, but wanted to get it out of the way.

i'm very excited to be joining you guys in august! i registered for map yesterday.
I think generally it depends on where you want to live. If you're going to scrounge for a single/double apt in a house split up into apartments (lots of the neighborhoods around the law school are composed like this) then the earlier the better — keep in mind undergrads start looking around October and November.

But if you want to live in one of the complexes / high-rises, I think there is definitely availability through the summer and you could even luck out when landlords get nervous and cut their prices. It can be a crapshoot, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am

So anyone on this thread were lucky enough to be invited to live at the Phid house?

Nietzsche

New

Post by Nietzsche » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 am

*Tear*
I wish....

Does anyone know when TLS is going to actually interview Dean Zearfoss? Won't lie. Kind of excited.

maddy

New

Post by maddy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:29 am

Vail67 wrote:
maddy wrote:sorry if this has been addressed already, but is june too late to begin looking for an apartment? i can either come up to ann arbor sometime in may and look or wait until after graduation in mid-to-late june. would all the good apartments be gone by then?

I think generally it depends on where you want to live. If you're going to scrounge for a single/double apt in a house split up into apartments (lots of the neighborhoods around the law school are composed like this) then the earlier the better — keep in mind undergrads start looking around October and November.

But if you want to live in one of the complexes / high-rises, I think there is definitely availability through the summer and you could even luck out when landlords get nervous and cut their prices. It can be a crapshoot, though.
thanks! i'm kind of leaning towards some kind of apartment complex - i've heard woodbury gardens and the ponds at georgetown mentioned, but are there others that people tend to live in? are there any complexes that are particularly convenient in terms of ease of getting to the law school?

also, i've heard that parking is rough, but is there generally street parking near campus in the evenings? if i wanted to drive back to campus in the evening to study in the library or whatever, would parking be as difficult as i imagine it is during the day?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:42 am

maddy wrote:
Vail67 wrote:

thanks! i'm kind of leaning towards some kind of apartment complex - i've heard woodbury gardens and the ponds at georgetown mentioned, but are there others that people tend to live in? are there any complexes that are particularly convenient in terms of ease of getting to the law school?

also, i've heard that parking is rough, but is there generally street parking near campus in the evenings? if i wanted to drive back to campus in the evening to study in the library or whatever, would parking be as difficult as i imagine it is during the day?
I've never had a problem night parking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:42 am

I actually find street parking harder in the evenings than I do for morning classes.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 am

Got an email saying they received my MAP stuff. Now I just gotta send that dang deposit. :)

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:54 am

Alexandria wrote:I actually find street parking harder in the evenings than I do for morning classes.
I just park in the lot across the street or in front of the school. Don't you get here hella early?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 am

Like 9 or 10 generally.

The lot across the street has been hit or miss for me, in terms of whether it's full.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”