Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Figuratively

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by Figuratively » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 am

Good luck to everyone who applied! I did four years of undergrad at UofM/Ann Arbor, and the campus is one of the best in the country!

Food4Thought

New

Post by Food4Thought » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 am

Didn't they send us an email saying they were 2 men short for the Lawyers Club? I think you have a better chance at your cereal-themed room than this thread has suggested.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:23 am

PKSebben wrote:
vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:You do realize that Peanut Butter Crunch is easily the better of the two, do you not? I don't have an answer for you, but if you are willing to dedicate a small, albeit significant proportion of the room to Peanut Butter Crunch (say 15-20%), I'd love to join you for a daily bowl. Keep me posted!
Add lucky charms and we got ourselves a party.
Its all about the Capn Crunch baby!
Is this because I'm Irish?
Haha.. is the Capn Irish? I didn't know that.

thefinalcut

New

Post by thefinalcut » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:06 am

tralinds wrote:My last day of work was yesterday. Moving from Seattle next week. No turning back now!!
Good luck with the move! I will be making the same move in couple of weeks. I am budgeting one week for the drive before I make it to the MAP.

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 pm

vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:You do realize that Peanut Butter Crunch is easily the better of the two, do you not? I don't have an answer for you, but if you are willing to dedicate a small, albeit significant proportion of the room to Peanut Butter Crunch (say 15-20%), I'd love to join you for a daily bowl. Keep me posted!
It’s agreed then; I shall convert my spare room into an all inclusive cereal eating room where we can freely eat any cereal of our choosing in peace. Away from any kids who think that Trix are just for them and any Barney Rubbles who will always try to steal our Coco Pebbles. The room shall be governed by the Apple Jacks Doctrine of “we eat what we like, even though apple jacks don’t taste like apples”.

This breakfast club will be welcoming of all from any stereotype, and while eating cereal we can talk about our lives and slowly begin to realize that everyone is much deeper than their respective stereotypes, like the gunner is only like that because he/she didn’t get enough love from their parents and their questions are actually cries for help.

Oh man, I can’t wait, can someone bring a television so we can watch power rangers while we’re at it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
It’s agreed then; I shall convert my spare room into an all inclusive cereal eating room where we can freely eat any cereal of our choosing in peace. Away from any kids who think that Trix are just for them and any Barney Rubbles who will always try to steal our Coco Pebbles. The room shall be governed by the Apple Jacks Doctrine of “we eat what we like, even though apple jacks don’t taste like apples”.

This breakfast club will be welcoming of all from any stereotype, and while eating cereal we can talk about our lives and slowly begin to realize that everyone is much deeper than their respective stereotypes, like the gunner is only like that because he/she didn’t get enough love from their parents and their questions are actually cries for help.

Oh man, I can’t wait, can someone bring a television so we can watch ninja turtles while we’re at it?
Personal preference fix, and I've never been more sold.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:29 pm

I don't think I'd ever make it to class if this room existed.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
vidhartha wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Oh man, I can’t wait, can someone bring a television so we can watch power rangers while we’re at it?

I'm bringing tecmo bowl. I swear to god I'll show up if this happens.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:40 pm

PKSebben wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote: It’s agreed then; I shall convert my spare room into an all inclusive cereal eating room where we can freely eat any cereal of our choosing in peace. Away from any kids who think that Trix are just for them and any Barney Rubbles who will always try to steal our Coco Pebbles. The room shall be governed by the Apple Jacks Doctrine of “we eat what we like, even though apple jacks don’t taste like apples”.

I can also contribute the Sonic the Hedgehog and Zelda collections and seasons 1 and 2 of Saved by the Bell. Also, Count Chocula ftw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:09 pm

itzjulz wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote: It’s agreed then; I shall convert my spare room into an all inclusive cereal eating room where we can freely eat any cereal of our choosing in peace. Away from any kids who think that Trix are just for them and any Barney Rubbles who will always try to steal our Coco Pebbles. The room shall be governed by the Apple Jacks Doctrine of “we eat what we like, even though apple jacks don’t taste like apples”.

I can also contribute the Sonic the Hedgehog and Zelda collections and seasons 1 and 2 of Saved by the Bell. Also, Count Chocula ftw.
Can I bring Cinnamon Toast Crunch? And I have the first season of Fresh Prince and all 5 seasons of Martin.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:10 pm

first to call this the breakfast club.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:17 pm

PKSebben wrote:first to call this the breakfast club.
It was right in front of my face the whole time, but I just couldn't see it. Perfect.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:34 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
PKSebben wrote:first to call this the breakfast club.
It was right in front of my face the whole time, but I just couldn't see it. Perfect.
Oh man, it was so obvious, I blame it on this memo I'm trying to finish. Its got me all screwed up in the head. Can we make t-shirts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LongRifle

New

Post by LongRifle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Anyone know how long it takes the financial aid office to process grad plus applications? I faxed my application about three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything or seen anything on wolverine access.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 pm

LongRifle wrote:Anyone know how long it takes the financial aid office to process grad plus applications? I faxed my application about three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything or seen anything on wolverine access.
I would call or e-mail the fin. aid office. I sent mine via e-mail and it was updated on wolverine access within a couple of days.

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Anyone else worried about the state of the OCIs across the T10? I can't help but feel a bit anxious reading about the dire state of the class of 2011...we are but one year off from being in their shoes. It's even worse because few of us can claim with any defensible degree of confidence that we'll make it to the top third of the class (which is the new safety mark apparently). When we were applying last Fall it was presumable that if you did the work and escaped the very bottom of the class you'd land a halfway decent job somewhere (I'm not talking about market paying jobs necessarily). Now, even the tippy top students are scared. They could ace OCI but still get no offered down the road. It seems that going to even a top school has become a much more risky proposition than I anticipated.

Am I overreacting? I sure hope so. At this point there isn't much else to do but shrug and start packing for the move I guess.

PS: I'd much rather talk about the breakfast club. I hope cooookie crisps are welcome!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:57 pm

chikalicious wrote:Anyone else worried about the state of the OCIs across the T10? I can't help but feel a bit anxious reading about the dire state of the class of 2011...we are but one year off from being in their shoes. It's even worse because few of us can claim with any defensible degree of confidence that we'll make it to the top third of the class (which is the new safety mark apparently). When we were applying last Fall it was presumable that if you did the work and escaped the very bottom of the class you'd land a halfway decent job somewhere (I'm not talking about market paying jobs necessarily). Now, even the tippy top students are scared. They could ace OCI but still get no offered down the road. It seems that going to even a top school has become a much more risky proposition than I anticipated.

Am I overreacting? I sure hope so. At this point there isn't much else to do but shrug and start packing for the move I guess.

PS: I'd much rather talk about the breakfast club. I hope cooookie crisps are welcome!
Don't freak bro. Things will be cool. There are a lot places worse off than a top 10 law school. Things might be down a bit, but in the overall scheme of things, you are better off than others. Michigan will open doors for years and years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WIdan

New

Post by WIdan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:14 pm

itzjulz wrote:
LongRifle wrote:Anyone know how long it takes the financial aid office to process grad plus applications? I faxed my application about three weeks ago, and haven't heard anything or seen anything on wolverine access.
I would call or e-mail the fin. aid office. I sent mine via e-mail and it was updated on wolverine access within a couple of days.
Where do I look in Wolverine Access to see the Grad PLUS loan I applied? I see the Stafford loans, so either I'm looking in the wrong place or they're not on there yet.

SWilson

New

Post by SWilson » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:17 pm

any LC alums offer a quick must have checklist for life in the law dorm? this is gonna be my first go at dorm life and have no idea what to bring with me.. fan? shower sandals? mini fridge? tv?

also, i'm sure it's been asked, but what's the best way for the carless among us to get from the airport to campus?

chikalicious

New

Post by chikalicious » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:48 pm

PKSebben wrote:
chikalicious wrote:Anyone else worried about the state of the OCIs across the T10? I can't help but feel a bit anxious reading about the dire state of the class of 2011...we are but one year off from being in their shoes. It's even worse because few of us can claim with any defensible degree of confidence that we'll make it to the top third of the class (which is the new safety mark apparently). When we were applying last Fall it was presumable that if you did the work and escaped the very bottom of the class you'd land a halfway decent job somewhere (I'm not talking about market paying jobs necessarily). Now, even the tippy top students are scared. They could ace OCI but still get no offered down the road. It seems that going to even a top school has become a much more risky proposition than I anticipated.

Don't freak bro. Things will be cool. There are a lot places worse off than a top 10 law school. Things might be down a bit, but in the overall scheme of things, you are better off than others. Michigan will open doors for years and years.
[hits head; nods to PK's wisdom as time horizon e-x-p-a-n-d-s]
8)
Thanks PK, I needed that.

SWilson, I would think shower sandals are a MUST unless you want law student cooties.

safari

New

Post by safari » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 am

WIdan wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
Where do I look in Wolverine Access to see the Grad PLUS loan I applied? I see the Stafford loans, so either I'm looking in the wrong place or they're not on there yet.
It should be in the same place (Financial aid package for 2009-2010). Have you done the MPNs for both the GradPlus and Stafford? I don't think they'll show up until you do that. But I wouldn't worry too much; I think it took a good 3 weeks or more for mine to get posted up there.

And most importantly, Frosted Flakes are G-R-R-R-REAT!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

linhvo

New

Post by linhvo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 am

Did everyone get that email about orientation? It directs you to the admitted students site and also gives you a username and password. I cannot log on... is anyone having a similar problem?

https://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/Admitted ... 2fPages%2f

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:11 am

The user name and password is on the blue bookmark that was mailed to you with the acceptance packet.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 am

spencer26 wrote:The user name and password is on the blue bookmark that was mailed to you with the acceptance packet.
Uh oh.

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 am

I know it has been mentioned briefly in the thread, but what are current 1Ls during this summer? For someone who is planning on doing big law, I was planning on sending out a large number of resumes to firms and hoping for a miracle. Then, if that didn't pan out, looking for work with judges, public interest, etc.. But it sounds like many of the "best" jobs with judges/PI are pretty much snatched up by the time January rolls around.

So, do many students completely forego the thought of earning money that summer, and just shoot for the harder-to-get, non-paying internships? I guess in a nutshell my question is, what is the best idea for summer work for a 1L who is planning on doing big law?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”