Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tcortez

New

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by tcortez » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 pm

itzjulz wrote:
tcortez wrote:Hey everyone,

I was admitted about a month ago. I haven't confirmed yet becuz I also got admitted to a peer school. But I do love Mich. Anyone visiting during April for preview weekend?
I also haven't confirmed b/c I'm waiting on 2 schools (who are going to need to pony up some cash for me to not choose Mich)

I'll be there for the April preview. Taking the megabus from Chicago. The itinerary for the weekend looks pretty awesome.. can't wait!
What schools are you waiting on?
I got admitted to Penn, on hold for Columbia, and still waiting for Harvard, Stanford and NYU. Haven't gotten any money yet so i think i'm gonna get hit hard with loans. I'm also super excited about preview weekend in april.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:55 pm

tcortez wrote:
itzjulz wrote:

I was admitted about a month ago. I haven't confirmed yet becuz I also got admitted to a peer school. But I do love Mich. Anyone visiting during April for preview weekend?
I also haven't confirmed b/c I'm waiting on 2 schools (who are going to need to pony up some cash for me to not choose Mich)

I'll be there for the April preview. Taking the megabus from Chicago. The itinerary for the weekend looks pretty awesome.. can't wait!
I got admitted to Penn, on hold for Columbia, and still waiting for Harvard, Stanford and NYU. Haven't gotten any money yet so i think i'm gonna get hit hard with loans. I'm also super excited about preview weekend in april.
I'm waiting on UCLA and USC, both of whom I haven't heard a peep from. I'm from Michigan originally...wanted desperately to go to UM for undergrad but couldn't because of $$.. However, I'd also like to live on the west coast, so I'm not sure what's going to happen yet. Probably going to be Michigan though... I can't resist!

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:03 am

itzjulz wrote:
tcortez wrote:
itzjulz wrote:

I'm waiting on UCLA and USC, both of whom I haven't heard a peep from. I'm from Michigan originally...wanted desperately to go to UM for undergrad but couldn't because of $$.. However, I'd also like to live on the west coast, so I'm not sure what's going to happen yet. Probably going to be Michigan though... I can't resist!
I just got into USC! I was pretty excited to see that. Yea Michigan is pretty hard to turn down though. And Dean Zearfoss is super friendly. She is like the nicest person ever. But I think i'm gonna get screwed with loans too. So don't feel bad. :wink:

viv

New

Post by viv » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm a current 1L and I'm looking to sublet my apartment for cheap during the summer (large studio, two blocks from the law school). If you're interested, please PM me for more info.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Oh, hell, I just registered for April ASW and it turns out it's full. :( I hate wait lists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:54 pm

dresden doll wrote:Oh, hell, I just registered for April ASW and it turns out it's full. :( I hate wait lists.
Yea they said it fills up pretty fast. That must be annoying.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 pm

tcortez wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Oh, hell, I just registered for April ASW and it turns out it's full. :( I hate wait lists.
I just got my admitted students package today. :( So it's not like I procrastinated on signing up. I just got admitted late in the game. It really is annoying.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 pm

dresden doll wrote:
tcortez wrote:
I just got my admitted students package today. :( So it's not like I procrastinated on signing up. I just got admitted late in the game. It really is annoying.
ahhh got it. well congrats anyways!!! :D

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:10 pm

dresden doll wrote:
tcortez wrote:

oh. that sucks. did you try calling and explaining your situation? I don't know if it'd do anything, but it might be worth a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:28 pm

I just got home from a great trip to Ann Arbor. Thanks for the tour, awesomepossum. I'm sorry I won't be joining everyone at the ASW, but I hope to hear reports.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:22 am

I just got my finaid offer, and it doesn't even list enough loans to cover tuition ($20,500/year + Dean's= $1500 short).

Should I be worried, or are private/outside loans not included in finaid award notices by UMich (like they are for other schools)?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:36 am

Yeah, I think $20,500 is the limit of he normal... damn... I can't even think of the word... the regular fed loans. It doesn't sound like that includes the GradPlus or private loan you can get.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:03 am

20,500 is the Stafford, and you're allowed to take up to the cost of attendance through the GradPlus program.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:33 am

lex talionis wrote:I just got my finaid offer, and it doesn't even list enough loans to cover tuition ($20,500/year + Dean's= $1500 short).
The award letter is just confusingly worded because it lists Stafford loans as "financial aid." Just read through all the other directions they send, and it will point you to the forms needed to apply for GradPLUS, which covers, as noted, up to the full cost of attendance. So just take total cost of attendance - $20,500, and that's your GradPLUS amount. PLUS loans come directly from the federal government just like Staffords, but it's just a different program, so of course they have to make in confusing by calling one "financial aid" and the other "alternative loans." Literally all you have to do is complete an electronic prom. note and write a scary big number in one little box on a form for how much you want. There is a minimal credit check for PLUS loans, but unless you have outstanding 120 days late bills or prior defaults on federal loans, you will pass. Even if you do have late items, all you have to do is make a payment and get a letter from the creditor saying you're current, and then you will be approved.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 am

snotrocket wrote:
lex talionis wrote:I just got my finaid offer, and it doesn't even list enough loans to cover tuition ($20,500/year + Dean's= $1500 short).
The award letter is just confusingly worded because it lists Stafford loans as "financial aid." Just read through all the other directions they send, and it will point you to the forms needed to apply for GradPLUS, which covers, as noted, up to the full cost of attendance. So just take total cost of attendance - $20,500, and that's your GradPLUS amount. PLUS loans come directly from the federal government just like Staffords, but it's just a different program, so of course they have to make in confusing by calling one "financial aid" and the other "alternative loans." Literally all you have to do is complete an electronic prom. note and write a scary big number in one little box on a form for how much you want. There is a minimal credit check for PLUS loans, but unless you have outstanding 120 days late bills or prior defaults on federal loans, you will pass. Even if you do have late items, all you have to do is make a payment and get a letter from the creditor saying you're current, and then you will be approved.
Ahhh gotcha much thanks! I was just looking at the little box in wolverine access and didn't really read through anything else.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 am

I got taken off the WL for April preview weekend, so now I am officially coming! I'm really excited about this visit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Croissant

New

Post by Croissant » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 am

[/quote]

I just got into USC! I was pretty excited to see that. Yea Michigan is pretty hard to turn down though. And Dean Zearfoss is super friendly. She is like the nicest person ever. But I think i'm gonna get screwed with loans too. So don't feel bad. :wink:[/quote]

Congrats on USC! I'm still waiting on them... I'm in at UM, but am leaning against it -- though I'll be there this weekend (starting today) for their preview weekend. When did you apply to USC? I applied in mid-November and am still waiting! It's driving me crazy...and I was WL at UCLA. How I was accepted at UM but not UCLA I don't understand.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Croissant wrote:
I just got into USC! I was pretty excited to see that. Yea Michigan is pretty hard to turn down though. And Dean Zearfoss is super friendly. She is like the nicest person ever. But I think i'm gonna get screwed with loans too. So don't feel bad. :wink:[/quote]

Congrats on USC! I'm still waiting on them... I'm in at UM, but am leaning against it -- though I'll be there this weekend (starting today) for their preview weekend. When did you apply to USC? I applied in mid-November and am still waiting! It's driving me crazy...and I was WL at UCLA. How I was accepted at UM but not UCLA I don't understand.[/quote]

UCLA is a funny one. I wouldn't be surprised if i got dinged at ucla and i went there for undergrad. You can never tell with them. My app was complete mid-december so thats weird. i haven't heard a thing from UCLA yet.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:13 pm

^To join the discussion of oddball CA schools' admissions patterns, I got into UCLA after a little over three months of waiting but still haven't heard squat from USC. And the interesting part is, I called a few days ago and was told a decision had been made and mailed out. You'd think Chicago was eons away from L.A. because it's Thursday now and nothing's come yet.

UCLA package took forever to come after Dean's call and when it did arrive, it was spoiled. (!)

But, anyhow, I really think I won't go to either. I've been wanting to relocate to Cali forever now but I'd feel pretty ridiculous if I turned down Michigan just because I don't appreciate cold weather.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:^To join the discussion of oddball CA schools' admissions patterns, I got into UCLA after a little over three months of waiting but still haven't heard squat from USC. And the interesting part is, I called a few days ago and was told a decision had been made and mailed out. You'd think Chicago was eons away from L.A. because it's Thursday now and nothing's come yet.

UCLA package took forever to come after Dean's call and when it did arrive, it was spoiled. (!)

But, anyhow, I really think I won't go to either. I've been wanting to relocate to Cali forever now but I'd feel pretty ridiculous if I turned down Michigan just because I don't appreciate cold weather.
Woah, I think I've found my twin!? Living in Chicago, wanted to relocate to Cali - I'm still waiting on USC and UCLA but I also feel like it'd be pretty ridiculous to turn down Michigan for either (unless there's big money involved, but we know the rumors about the CA schools' lack of funding, so I don't see that happening)

See you in April! Glad to hear you got off the waitlist for the weekend. How are you getting to Ann Arbor from Chi? I'm megabus-ing it, since it turned out to be the cheapest option

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:46 pm

itzjulz wrote:
dresden doll wrote:^To join the discussion of oddball CA schools' admissions patterns, I got into UCLA after a little over three months of waiting but still haven't heard squat from USC. And the interesting part is, I called a few days ago and was told a decision had been made and mailed out. You'd think Chicago was eons away from L.A. because it's Thursday now and nothing's come yet.

Woah, I think I've found my twin!? Living in Chicago, wanted to relocate to Cali - I'm still waiting on USC and UCLA but I also feel like it'd be pretty ridiculous to turn down Michigan for either (unless there's big money involved, but we know the rumors about the CA schools' lack of funding, so I don't see that happening)

See you in April! Glad to hear you got off the waitlist for the weekend. How are you getting to Ann Arbor from Chi? I'm megabus-ing it, since it turned out to be the cheapest option
Oh, wow, really? I'm actually considering the megabus myself but SO wants to drive me instead. I might still end up doing that, though -dunno how much trouble it would be for him to take off work for all this.

It's all further complicated by the fact that I kinda have some plans to try and make NU's DANL on Sunday, if at all possible. However, I will not sweat it - I've visited that campus before and can go visit it again easily on my own time if I want to.

Heh, we're doomed to crappy weather, aren't we? I really wanted three years in Cali - I'm originally from Mediterranean cost and SoCal weather matches the climate I grew up in perfectly. (My hometown had palm trees!) But I got stuck in Midwest the moment I stepped foot in the U.S. and it seems that will continue - for the worse even, since Michigan is colder than Illinois. :(

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
itzjulz wrote:

Oh, wow, really? I'm actually considering the megabus myself but SO wants to drive me instead. I might still end up doing that, though -dunno how much trouble it would be for him to take off work for all this.

It's all further complicated by the fact that I kinda have some plans to try and make NU's DANL on Sunday, if at all possible. However, I will not sweat it - I've visited that campus before and can go visit it again easily on my own time if I want to.

Heh, we're doomed to crappy weather, aren't we? I really wanted three years in Cali - I'm originally from Mediterranean cost and SoCal weather matches the climate I grew up in perfectly. (My hometown had palm trees!) But I got stuck in Midwest the moment I stepped foot in the U.S. and it seems that will continue - for the worse even, since Michigan is colder than Illinois. :(
Megabus was only about $30 round trip for me. I'm getting in to Ann Arbor at 2:10 on Thursday. My family is from Detroit, so my dad or brother are picking me up in AA on Saturday so that I can go home for a day before taking megabus back to Chi. There are a few megabus departure options from AA back to Chicago on Saturday - so you could still make DANL on Sunday. Have you ever taken the bus? I've done megabus quite a few times and it's pretty decent. The double decker buses are brand new and have wi-fi on them, and even on the smaller buses they at least show a movie or something on the trip.

After having grown up in Michigan and now living in Chicago.. I can tell you that if you can survive a Chicago winter, you'll be fine in Ann Arbor. Michigan is cold, but doesn't get as much wind and absolute bitterness that Chicago gets (especially close to the lakefront). I was definitely looking forward to moving to SoCal - my SO wants to move there for work too, and that's ultimately where we'd like to end up. I just feel like Michigan will have the overall better advantage. I'm jealous that you grew up in the Mediterranean - Palm trees + gorgeous weather are infinitely better than the graveyard that is the Detroit metro area!

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:01 pm

I'll be on the 8:30 am megabus (I think it gets it at 2:10 as well)... maybe I'll see you there!

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:38 pm

lilybbloom wrote:I'll be on the 8:30 am megabus (I think it gets it at 2:10 as well)... maybe I'll see you there!
Yep, that's the bus I'm on. I vote for a TLS party on the megabus :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”